*****Official Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread*****

292,422 Views | 5664 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by PatAg
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vegas isn't nearly as good as they were last year right?
The Pilot
AG
The Pilot
AG
10 pm eastern is nuts for Nashville. Sucks for their fans.
OKCAGS
Vegas plays 4 lines just like Dallas and with Stone back they are totally healthy and dangerous . The difference between this year and last years Cup Team is their goaltending . Hill has been very streaky and not as good overall , but capable of getting hot and leading the Knights all the way back to the Cup. That said , this Stars team is different and on a mission . Stars in 6 .
BassCowboy33
Man, the Stars cup chances just crashed on Money Puck. Basically a 50/50 opening round.
Tksymm7
AG
Vegas has had so much in and out in their lineup this season that I think they'll have moments where they look rusty and discombobulated. I'd rather play Vegas first and squash them than play them if they get on a heater.
FWAppraiser
AG
I would have preferred LA.
But if we had to play Vegas, now is the time to do it. They are not at full strength, and Mark Stone has yet to even participate in a full contact practice. We may not see him until game 3 or 4. Then, who knows how effective he'll be. As is, they've been less than impressive. And even with Stone, they're definitely beatable.

This isn't the same team as last year, and this isn't the same Stars team either. In fact, I think we've flipped the script. Dallas is a deeper team than Vegas. We have NINE guys with over 50 points, and Harley was 3 shy of making it 10. Vegas has five.

Their special teams are basically league average, and their goaltending hasn't been impressive. I don't mean to downplay them because this is probably the toughest 1st round opponent out of LA/Nashville/Vegas, but this is a very winnable series.

Heart says Stars in 5. Head says Stars in 6.
Tksymm7
AG
I think we're about to see A LOT of series go six and seven games.
sburg2007
Here's to being a walking zombie every other morning for two months.
Tksymm7
AG
Cheers!
dvldog
AG

FWAppraiser
AG
Agreed. It should be a really fun playoff season.
Just hope the Stars take care of business without giving me a heart attack in the process!
BassCowboy33
FWAppraiser said:

Agreed. It should be a really fun playoff season.
Just hope the Stars take care of business without giving me a heart attack in the process!
Obligatory link.
FWAppraiser
AG
Been a while since I've seen that one. Always gets me, and the wife thinks it's hilarious.
Tksymm7
AG
Biggest thing headed into the playoffs for me is where Dadonov plays. I don't think sticking him on the fourth line is really the best spot for him, but where else are you putting him? I could make the argument that playing with Roope and Robo could really be dangerous, but do they take Pavs off the top line? You could push Marchment to the fourth line, but Marchment/Duch/Seguin have been so good at times this season do you want to break them up?
FWAppraiser
AG
Castillo looked at it in his mailbag. Analytics wise, Smith is the better option. Especially against a team like Vegas. If we end up playing Colorado, Dadonov could be valuable. If there's an injury, he's a luxury.

But that's where I see the value. I honestly think we should start off with Daddy on the bench. I know that may seem crazy, but like you said, he's not a 4th liner. The top 3 lines are sound and I don't think he'd make any one of them better. Smith is a north/south guy that helps drive that 4th line. Playing Vegas, we need 4 lines that go after the other team.
Grapesoda2525
Can't believe we could possibly have a path to the cup of Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver, and New York

As a #1 overall conference seed? What's the point of getting a #1 seed?
Roll the Bones
AG
The NHL really needs to bring back the old format and reseed each round to make the regular season relevant again.
FWAppraiser
AG
On the NHL network this morning they were talking about how we got shafted by being the #1 seed and drawing the defending champs. Definitely don't want the Colorado MacKinnons

Honestly, we match up well against Winnipeg and Vancouver. So aside from some crazy upsets, that path isn't terrible as far as Stanley Cup playoffs is concerned. No path is going to be easy.

Just really wish we weren't starting with Vegas. I really think we win, but I don't see how we get out of it unscathed. They're a tough team.
BassCowboy33
Grapesoda2525 said:

Can't believe we could possibly have a path to the cup of Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver, and New York

As a #1 overall conference seed? What's the point of getting a #1 seed?
I'd argue the top four teams in the West are all in the Central bracket.

As for the NYR, I don't expect them to make it out of the East. I'm betting on Carolina.
GrapevineAg
AG
Roll the Bones said:

Roll the Bones said:

Alright ladies and gents, it's that time of the season again! Stanley Cup playoffs are looming so let's get ready for another bracket challenge. Last season the champ was Aggie98inFL and now it's time to crown a new champion.

Once again I created a league for us - you can sign up at the link below. Entries can't be created until all of the teams are locked in but you can register for the league now.

TexAgs F10 Bracket Challege

Pwd is BTHOEVERY1

Just a friendly reminder to join the league if you'd like to demonstrate your hockey prognosticative powers to the rest of the forum. We should be able to enter our brackets starting tomorrow, after the matchups are all set.

Thanks

David
In! Let's do this! BTHO Vegas!
The Pilot
AG
The NHL playoffs are great, landmines are everywhere.

Seems like Colorado is getting a ton of love from bettors. I'm an Avs fan and I'm not so sure they'll make it out of the first round, goaltending is very unreliable.
TRIDENT
AG
In on bracket challenge! Predicted a Stars vs Canucks WCF. Let's go boys!
BassCowboy33
Apparently, I somehow got two of me. I'm a terrible millennial.

Vegas-Carolina final on my end.
FWAppraiser
AG
Legal Custodian said:

All of the first round will also be aired on Bally's, correct?

From the Dallas Stars press release regarding Round 1:

Josh Bogorad and Daryl "Razor" Reaugh will call the action on Bally Sports Southwest, whose comprehensive postseason coverage will include Stars Live pregame and postgame shows featuring TV analysts Brien Rea and Brent Severyn. All games broadcast on Bally Sports Southwest will also stream in the Bally Sports app.
BassCowboy33
FWAppraiser said:

Legal Custodian said:

All of the first round will also be aired on Bally's, correct?

From the Dallas Stars press release regarding Round 1:

Josh Bogorad and Daryl "Razor" Reaugh will call the action on Bally Sports Southwest, whose comprehensive postseason coverage will include Stars Live pregame and postgame shows featuring TV analysts Brien Rea and Brent Severyn. All games broadcast on Bally Sports Southwest will also stream in the Bally Sports app.

Unfortunately, most people don't have Bally. Luckily, it will be available on natty!
FWAppraiser
AG
Ok, which one of you did this?
Kashchei
AG
Steve Dangle has the Stars winning it all. Also getting a lot of love from other pundits. Love it, but we better ball out when it matters.
FWAppraiser
AG
The Athletic ran a piece that anonymously polled an NHL GM, 4 executives, a scout, and an agent. Dallas, Florida, and Carolina were in Tier 1 of Stanley Cup contenders, with Dallas being the clear favorite in the West.

They polled The Athletic staff, and Dallas got 85% of the vote to beat Vegas, 66% to win the West and 41% to win it all.

Sean Shapiro and Bob Sturm did a joint piece on Substack, and they summed it up this way, "The Stars are the Boogeyman everyone else is afraid of...the bear with the big teeth and claws."

Feels weird because it's been a LONG time since the Stars have gotten this much love and been a legit favorite. It almost feels wrong to go in expecting to win instead of just hoping to win. I can honestly say that while I'm always bummed when our season ends, I'll be extremely disappointed if we fall short this year. We're built to be competitive for a long while, but this year's team is special.
Roll the Bones
AG
Roll the Bones said:

Roll the Bones said:

Alright ladies and gents, it's that time of the season again! Stanley Cup playoffs are looming so let's get ready for another bracket challenge. Last season the champ was Aggie98inFL and now it's time to crown a new champion.

Once again I created a league for us - you can sign up at the link below. Entries can't be created until all of the teams are locked in but you can register for the league now.

Pwd is BTHOEVERY1

Again this season, whoever wins the bracket challenge will get a quarter coin keychain I made, inspired by the stars winter classic logo.

Gig'em Stars! BTHO everybody!

One more bump for anyone who still wants to play in the bracket challege. Looks like you have 2 days to lock in your picks. First games start tonight! I can't wait. Here's to a month and a half of sleepless nights!

Gig'Em Stars!

BassCowboy33
Roll the Bones said:

Roll the Bones said:

Roll the Bones said:

Pwd is BTHOEVERY1

Again this season, whoever wins the bracket challenge will get a quarter coin keychain I made, inspired by the stars winter classic logo.

Gig'em Stars! BTHO everybody!

One more bump for anyone who still wants to play in the bracket challege. Looks like you have 2 days to lock in your picks. First games start tonight! I can't wait. Here's to a month and a half of sleepless nights!

Gig'Em Stars!

It's even worse for those of us on the East Coast. I will be powered by Moosehead and buffalo wingz.
Grapesoda2525
FWAppraiser said:

The Athletic ran a piece that anonymously polled an NHL GM, 4 executives, a scout, and an agent. Dallas, Florida, and Carolina were in Tier 1 of Stanley Cup contenders, with Dallas being the clear favorite in the West.

They polled The Athletic staff, and Dallas got 85% of the vote to beat Vegas, 66% to win the West and 41% to win it all.

Sean Shapiro and Bob Sturm did a joint piece on Substack, and they summed it up this way, "The Stars are the Boogeyman everyone else is afraid of...the bear with the big teeth and claws."

Feels weird because it's been a LONG time since the Stars have gotten this much love and been a legit favorite. It almost feels wrong to go in expecting to win instead of just hoping to win. I can honestly say that while I'm always bummed when our season ends, I'll be extremely disappointed if we fall short this year. We're built to be competitive for a long while, but this year's team is special.
Stars fans are so spoiled. We have jim nill as the GM and our broadcast team. Both are regarded as the best in the business.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Taken
FWAppraiser
AG
100%
We deserve stable ownerhsip and management after suffering throught the end of the Tom Hicks era and the bankrupcy/league owneship fiasco. Those were some dark years.
Broadcast wise, we've always been spoiled. Razor is hall-of-fame level and Ralphie was elite. Josh took a while to find his groove, but he's grown into it nicely.
FWAppraiser
AG
I've never wanted to beat a team so badly in my life.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 162

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.