*** UIL Track and Field State Championships ***

3,693 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bebhillah
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
94chem said:

I saw my Alma Mater, Arlington Lamar, picked up 20 points in the shot and discus. Who are those boys?
one guy, EVAN MARTINEZ! Had PR's of 69 in the shot put and 198 in the discus! I've personally seen him throw the 16 nearly 60 feet already! He's going to be a monster at the next level, in the shot, disc, weight, and hammer! He's committed to Kennesaw State! Signed before he had a huge senior year but they got a strong throwing program!
taylorswift13_
94chem said:

Congratulations to Atascocita. Coach Symons retired one year too early! His twin brother is retiring from Kingwood this year. His last state athlete was my son.

My son knocked 13 seconds off his 400 time this year. Had a great season. Also had a PR in the 100 by 0.3 seconds.
congrats to your son!! Hope he enjoyed the weekend!
94chem
Thank you. The UIL has qualifying times. I think 1:51. That's why there were only 6 racers. He wouldn't have qualified last year.

The district paid for our hotel room, but we couldn't use it. Came home at midnight in case any roads to Kingwood closed.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
jess09
Cooper Luthenhaus.. amazing freshman. His dad still holds the school record at his high school from 1994
taylorswift13_
Was a little sad the wheelchair divisions had qualifying times! It's so much better for the kids and the sport if all 9 lanes are full!! That made me upset!
94chem
taylorswift13_ said:

Was a little sad the wheelchair divisions had qualifying times! It's so much better for the kids and the sport if all 9 lanes are full!! That made me upset!

Yeah, it gives the appearance that it's a pity party for disabled kids, when actually it's the opposite. You have to earn your way there, and only 6 kids could do it. Unlike paralympics, there are no divisions based on disability. You've got CP kids racing against foot amputees. A lot of the spina bifida kids are completely able-bodied in the chairs. So just like regular T&F, you're always competing with yourself. I asked my friends how many of them can do a 400 in 1:38...mostly crickets, lol.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
taylorswift13_
You are exactly right! The guy who won the shot put had bigger muscles than some of the guys who qualified! Guy near my hometown didn't get the marks and loves track! Would love to see the wheelchair division grow into multiple divisions!
94chem
taylorswift13_ said:

You are exactly right! The guy who won the shot put had bigger muscles than some of the guys who qualified! Guy near my hometown didn't get the marks and loves track! Would love to see the wheelchair division grow into multiple divisions!

There's a CP kid at our school who runs a 6:21 mile without a full gait cycle. He could be a world class paralympian if he wanted to. He'll never qualify in XC or track, but UIL just ruled that he can compete in both chair and ambulatory events, so he plans to get a chair next season. So yeah, my son took up sports because a kid at KHS played wheelchair basketball. And now my son is paying it forward. My son understands that more participants is better for his sport, even if it means he wins less. We agreed that he only gets to claim medals if he PR's, or at ditrict/area/region.
94chem,
bebhillah
San Juanita Leal's 1600 win:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.