Pics from Tuesday Night

9,641 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by Sock
slim-jim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is a video I took last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJiH9Z9ArHs

[This message has been edited by slim-jim (edited 11/22/2006 9:43a).]
GigemNick
AG
BTHO t.u.!!
slim-jim
AG
Cha-chunka
aggielostinETX
Rebbasser
MPRsearch
MPRsearch
Keegan99
AG
quote:
Sorry to rain on your parade. 35 feet max

Wrong, but you're getting closer.

I've seen measurement the logs for the interior wrap of stack, and I'll trust a tape measure on the ground over your ballpark estimates.

The interior wrap is 32'. The additional height of centerpole and the outhouse pushes it over 40'.
Keegan99
AG
slim-jim - thanks for the video!
COKEMAN
AG
The tallest logs in the center were 32 ft.

Scott Coker '92
Walton Ag 91
It does my heart good to see Bonfire alive and well! Thanks for the pics and video everyone!

BTHO t.u.!!!!!!!!
Trae_c65
S

Just GIGEM!!!!!!!!!
Texas_Fan
Not to ruin a good argument between aggies, but if you look at the pic with the 3 men standing in front of the unlit fire, you can determine by measuring that the height is probably the height of 5 men, thus about 30 feet.

I don't think the height should matter, it looked like a great stack and the burn looks awesome. My country mom on Thanksgiving '99 was heartsick about the loss of lives and said "I don't know why they can't just make a big pile of wood like a teepee and burn it. That is the kind we always did for our high school bonfire." The last time I hugged her was that Thanksiving evening as my family left her rural home so we could get back to Austin. We had tickets to the game in College Station. She passed away in her sleep on Dec. 6, 1999 just a few days later.

Edit: I didn't count the center pole and outhouse, that would put it at about 40 feet

[This message has been edited by Texas_Fan (edited 11/22/2006 2:13p).]
WillD
AG

That's the problem with perception, to get a better idea of the height you need someone standing at the midpoint between front and back and the pic should be taken from a further distance. One thing about this pic I attached, if you calculate the volume based off the formula for a cone, the new stack is 1/5 the volume of Pre-1999.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I did not count the outhouse and centerpole. Never thought those counted in the stack measurements. If they did that in the past, i did not realize it and kind of dissappointed
WillD
AG
The composite stack with the outhouse was 80 feet and without was 72 feet (Fay Report). The CDM "Preliminary Concept, Options SK-7 and SK-9" incorporated 40 foot logs as the third stack, 30 foot logs for the second stack, and 15 foot logs as the first stack, with a 5 foot outhouse (thus totaling 45 feet) and a 40 foot base diameter. This was one of the options that later became Final Alternate A and Student Bonfire determined that these guidelines should be followed and that the total height should not be more than was recommended for Aggie Bonfire 2002. Another limitation is finding logs that are 40 feet long, thus, the stack height (without the outhouse) is limited to the longest logs available under 40 feet. Hope your disappointment doesn't last long.
HOGS LEW
SB should sell posters of that huge burn picture. I would buy one. If SB doesn't make one I will make one myself that is an amazing shot.
SteadicaTm
AG
i am from new braunfels. where is the comal burn?
kylefield10
AG
amazing....
TAZ99
AG
The Comal County A&M Club held its bonfire at Newks Tennis Ranch on Monday.

The Link
SteadicaTm
AG
ah. my parents live in northwoods about a mile away.
newkies!!!!!!!
we used to f with those guys all the time in high school
Sandiaman91
AG

"Never miss a good chance to shut up."
-Will Rogers
Trucker 90
AG
Beautiful. How many people are involved in Student Bonfire now? Is it growing? Are the crews still based around the Dorm's?
jb5357
about 1000 people filled out our paperwork and worked on it at least once. and yes that is growth from last year. and yes the crews are based on dorms and outfits.
COKEMAN
AG
And don't forget the biggest "outfit" of them all....

Off Campus Hogs! :P

Scott Coker '92
REDAG07
Texas_Fan & others

Instead of making assumptions or "measuring" pictures why don't you listen to what people that actually know say.

Cokeman was right the tallest logs were 32' tall want proof? I helped measure many of them myself!

Ofcourse after the 32' log you have about feet of centerpole before the outhouse.
Ag_of_08
AG
to easy to argue though. Some people jus like to fight about it

Proudest member of the Fightin Texas Aggie class of 08 Beat the h*** outa tu A-A-A Whoop!!!. May bonfire forever burn in our hearts.....and may the Twelfth Man ever burn it in memory and in hope for the future.

ColoradoMooseHerd
You think the bonfire with the outhouse was 80 feet?

LMAO
Keegan99
AG
What would you say it is, Rocks?

The top of 4th stack in '99 was 59 feet. Fifth and sixth stacks were about 6-7 feet a piece, give or take, as was the outhouse. That totals out at 80 feet.

Of course, the professionals in forensic engineering analysis - Fay Engineering - agree with that sentiment.

[This message has been edited by Keegan99 (edited 11/26/2006 11:43p).]
ColoradoMooseHerd
Keegan

Just want to make sure we are saying the same thing. You think the top of the outhouse on the bonfire this year was 80 feet?
nkaechler
AG
wow...
commando2004
AG
quote:
You think the top of the outhouse on the bonfire this year was 80 feet?

He said '99, not this year. Man, your screenname is accurate.
WillD
AG
Actually he didn't say it was that high in '99, he said it would have been that high if completed.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Well there you have it. Then someone responded to me quoting the 80 feet, when I was talking about this year. But thanks for jumping on at the end.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.