We need a Latin Mass in College Station

18,394 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by DeProfundis
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or they recognized the script without being conversant in the language. I can recognize Spanish when I see it. Doesn't mean I can read and speak Spanish. These were supposedly poor people on the margins of 1st century Judean society and literacy in the Roman Empire is estimated at less than 10% of the population.
747Ag
AG
Silian Rail said:

wbt5845 said:

https://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=20046

Quote:

The leaders of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) are in schism, and remain suspended from the sacraments, says the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

In an interview with the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Archbishop Gerhard Mller said that although Pope Benedict XVI lifted the canonical excommunication of SSPX prelates, they remain suspended from the sacraments because "by their schism they have broken away from communion with the Church."

Did you notice the date ?

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_letters/documents/papa-francesco-lettera-ap_20161120_misericordia-et-misera.html

Quote:

For the Jubilee Year I had also granted that those faithful who, for various reasons, attend churches officiated by the priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X, can validly and licitly receive the sacramental absolution of their sins. For the pastoral benefit of these faithful, and trusting in the good will of their priests to strive with God's help for the recovery of full communion in the Catholic Church, I have personally decided to extend this faculty beyond the Jubilee Year, until further provisions are made, lest anyone ever be deprived of the sacramental sign of reconciliation through the Church's pardon.

How very schismatic. Hahahahaha... You don't give faculties to schismatics. Moreover, they always include the Holy Father (Francis) and the local bishop in their intentions during Holy Mass.
747Ag
AG
Silian Rail said:

Also, I would argue that the lack of direction from the Vatican on the subject of the SSPX mass creates a situation where a Catholic could licitly fulfill their Sunday obligation at an SSPX mass, provided they're doing so out of love for the liturgy and not out of a desire to separate themselves from the Church.

This is the guidance I have received from my former pastor (diocesan priest). It also echoes Fr. Z.
Silian Rail
747Ag said:

Silian Rail said:

Also, I would argue that the lack of direction from the Vatican on the subject of the SSPX mass creates a situation where a Catholic could licitly fulfill their Sunday obligation at an SSPX mass, provided they're doing so out of love for the liturgy and not out of a desire to separate themselves from the Church.

This is the guidance I have received from my former pastor (diocesan priest). It also echoes Fr. Z.

Yes, it's almost exactly from the Fr.Z article, he had the best argument I've seen. I also note that in Miesericordia et misera Pope Francis states "had also granted that those faithful who, for various reasons, attend churches officiated by the priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X". Obviously the Pope recognizes there can be several reasons for attending an SSPX church, which one can assume means reasons other than "there is no available other mass".

Ordhound04
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Or they recognized the script without being conversant in the language. I can recognize Spanish when I see it. Doesn't mean I can read and speak Spanish. These were supposedly poor people on the margins of 1st century Judean society and literacy in the Roman Empire is estimated at less than 10% of the population.

John wrote letters. So did Peter, Jude, and James. I suppose they could have dictated, but that would be speculation.

I'm not saying they were studying platonic philosophy and Pythagorean mathematics, but some of the apostles could clearly read and write.

Also, considering They were first century Jews who wrote scripture in Greek, we can make a safe contention that they were at minimum bilingual to some extent. these were men who would have grown up speaking primarily Aramaic , But they would have been exposed to Hebrew, Latin, and Greek.
Sure, you may "Recognize Spanish when I see it" But, I would be willing to bet the apostles had more exposure to Greek than you have had to Spanish.

In fact, I can provide two historical examples of Squanto and Malinche/Malintzin. Both people who had extended cross-cultural interactions, and we're multilingual enough to serve as interpreters. So you don't need formal education to be multilingual.

Honestly, Peter selling fish to a gentile once a week over the course of a decade or so would very plausibly result in a somewhat functional multi-lingualism. Let alone once he came into contact with the likes of Luke, Matthew, or Titus.
AggieRAB05
AG
I understand your thoughts on the Latin Mass, but I wonder what your take on what occurred in my prior church.

I live in and attend Church in Katy that had Norvus Ordo but was slowly transitioning to bringing in a more Latin "flair". It also offered TLM as some points as well. Well before COVID all masses were sang out of Glory & Praise, but one weekend out of the blue we were told by the priest we were moving to the St Michael Hymnal. The hymns is this book were much older and had more of a Latin flair. An older man even stood up to the priest during his homily to detest this change. The priest assured us the council voted on this change and that even a poll was sent out to the community. I did not receive that poll so not 100% sure on that. Over time the mass choirs were replaced with paid singers who could sing Latin. I figured we would continue going to Church there as we had so many roots planted there, but I was not happy.

We started seeing more changes during COVID on online mass and in-person. English responses were being replaced with Latin month over month. We returned after COVID and started wondering where the flock had gone, we thought it was COVID. One homily the priest referenced not holding hands during the Lord's Prayer; this made my Wife upset. She said it was time to find another Parish. We found another Parish and we found the missing flock. Many of the other families had moved to this church as well.

I am okay when TLM coincides with the Norvus Ordo, but when it carries over into the "Red" I find myself at a crossroads. From a historical point of view I know we are the Roman Church but why pray in a dead language that I don't understand and that Jesus did not speak. Having been brought up in Norvus Ordo, I feel the two masses are worlds apart even though they are not. I guess I understand why the Church had some may rifts in the past now.

You can say I have a strong preference to Norvus Ordo. After investing so much time and effort with our past Parish it was hard to say goodbye but we have found a much better home. I also find it interesting the Priest was relocated a couple of months ago.
Stasco
AG
AggieRAB05 said:

I understand your thoughts on the Latin Mass, but I wonder what your take on what occurred in my prior church.

I live in and attend Church in Katy that had Norvus Ordo but was slowly transitioning to bringing in a more Latin "flair". It also offered TLM as some points as well. Well before COVID all masses were sang out of Glory & Praise, but one weekend out of the blue we were told by the priest we were moving to the St Michael Hymnal. The hymns is this book were much older and had more of a Latin flair. An older man even stood up to the priest during his homily to detest this change. The priest assured us the council voted on this change and that even a poll was sent out to the community. I did not receive that poll so not 100% sure on that. Over time the mass choirs were replaced with paid singers who could sing Latin. I figured we would continue going to Church there as we had so many roots planted there, but I was not happy.

We started seeing more changes during COVID on online mass and in-person. English responses were being replaced with Latin month over month. We returned after COVID and started wondering where the flock had gone, we thought it was COVID. One homily the priest referenced not holding hands during the Lord's Prayer; this made my Wife upset. She said it was time to find another Parish. We found another Parish and we found the missing flock. Many of the other families had moved to this church as well.

I am okay when TLM coincides with the Norvus Ordo, but when it carries over into the "Red" I find myself at a crossroads. From a historical point of view I know we are the Roman Church but why pray in a dead language that I don't understand and that Jesus did not speak. Having been brought up in Norvus Ordo, I feel the two masses are worlds apart even though they are not. I guess I understand why the Church had some may rifts in the past now.

You can say I have a strong preference to Norvus Ordo. After investing so much time and effort with our past Parish it was hard to say goodbye but we have found a much better home. I also find it interesting the Priest was relocated a couple of months ago.
Everything in this poor benighted post makes sense in light of the bolded portion.
Sapper Redux
Not really. Unless you're just trying to be a jerk. I thought he explained the problem pretty well, and I think a lot of people would balk at that kind of change.
AggieRAB05
AG
Stasco, I was pretty much done when they changed the music and started saying hymns in Latin. Maybe did not make that clear enough, the tipping point for my wife was the Lord's Prayer. Just trying to make a point this goes both ways. Not trying to take away the Latin but that is not the church I grew up with and built my relationship up with God.
Silian Rail
AggieRAB05 said:

Stasco, I was pretty much done when they changed the music and started saying hymns in Latin. Maybe did not make that clear enough, the tipping point for my wife was the Lord's Prayer. Just trying to make a point this goes both ways. Not trying to take away the Latin but that is not the church I grew up with and built my relationship up with God.

Just to put you at ease, the Vatican, while not completely outlawing the holding of hands during the Our Father, discourages it. So this Priest wasn't going rogue or anything, sounds like he was trying to inject orthodoxy into a parish that he felt had gone a little progressive.
File5
AG
I understand what you're saying in these posts, and I can empathize with things changing and not liking it. "Preference" is a difficulty I have in conversing with others about the TLM. For instance, what you've described (other than the actual TLMs offered) is all Novus Ordo, there's no "TLM-ing" about it. The Novus Ordo has perfectly valid Latin portions that the priest can use or not use. You have gotten used to the whole Mass being vernacular, but your preference for that is just that - preference. It doesn't necessarily mean in the slightest that the priest is trying to turn the parish into a TLM parish. But even if he were, maybe that's what many people are asking for at the parish? It just might not line up with YOUR preferences. But people invariably DO have preferences, and I'm glad that you have a strong faith resulting from the NO Mass. Even though I'm a cradle NO and have only been to one TLM, my opinion is that overall, the implementation of the NO has decreased the faith, not increased it. But the TLM people are told just what I'm telling you - that they should just suck it up and stop putting their preference ahead of the Church and go to NO. I don't like that one bit, just as you don't like your parish changing. TLMers are the original "you" though, and they're the ones who've seen the most change and been powerless to stop it.
nortex97
AG
For you Latin mass fans I think this is enjoyable;

The Banned
AggieRAB05 said:

This isn't St John Vianny is it? I have never been to a singular TLM (although I am interested) but the few masses I attended there were the most beautiful iteration of the novus ordo I've ever seen. I feel like those priests have blended the old and the new as well as could be expected (unless you want ad orientum)

I'll never understand holding hands during the our father though. I'll take an all English, guitar strumming NO mass over any other iteration that makes us all hold hands. I'm not sure how the priest said it to y'all, but if this was a command not to hold hands, I could see how that could be upsetting. But if he was more brining up the fact that you don't have ti hold hands, I don't see why that would be a problem. I can vividly remember hating the hand holds since 2nd grade.

My main point, however, is that all of this two mass infighting never needed to happen. Had the counsel working on the new mass actually OBEYED THE DOCUMENTS, this never would have happened. Instead, the created some brand new mass and turned the church on its head. While I understand that some people prefer the novus ordo, one thing that can't be debated is that the new mass has led to severe liturgical abuses and an overall cheapening of what we're there to do on Sunday. I know that as a society we've become more casual and distracted, but we've gone from Sunday best and weekly attendance to spotty attendance and football jerseys. There have been bubble parties, dogs bringing up the offertory, priests processing in on skate boards and more. And none of those priests are reprimanded for it, which means we have bishops that tacitly approve of it.

The TLM over correction and clinging is in large part due to these few men who screwed it all up way back when. The church could correct that today, if there was just an open minded clergy. But the generation who started it is still in power and it seems like they just can't admit their mistake. I pray that the church can find a solid solution that can get us back to the mass that Vatican 2 had in mind: Latin should be retained for most prayers, Gregorian chant has pride of place, ad orientum, etc. All things the council signed off on.
jrico2727
AG
Latin Mass - Exaltation of the Cross
  • SEPTEMBER 14:6:00 PM

At St. Thomas Aquinas in College Station. All are welcome
NowhereMan
I would recommend against it. It is the Latin translations that followed the Greek and in doing so mis-understood justification. This leaves you with the first four centuries of catholics, Ignatius, Augustine, Orthodoxy and Apostolic Protestants on one side that believe we are declared righteous and Franciscan catholic understanding of being made righteous. Greek translations tell us you are righteous based on the exchange of Christ righteousness by faith and grace, while catholics believe you are being made righteous. Because only a few saints actually are pure and righteous, the latin catholics teach you have to go to purgatory and be purified, and that is why the church had a treasury of righteousness that was sold as indulgences for those stuck in purgatory. Today catholics light candles and say prayers for those that have passed and are believed to be in purgatory. In my view many Roman Catholics like Henri Nouwen are leaning into the Greek and recapturing the origins of the faith. Latin translations is not what it is presented to be.
jrico2727
AG
Latin Mass - Our Lady of the Rosary
  • OCTOBER 7:6:00 PM

At St Thomas Aquinas all are welcome

Especially PaulTony since he is so clearly informed on the Mass
Bob Lee
AG
AggieRAB05 said:

None of your or your wife's grievances have anything to do with the Novus Ordo. The Novus Ordo CAN be celebrated in Latin, and there's no prescription to hold hands during The Lord's Prayer. I don't actually know how or where that started, but I always thought it was strange, and we're probably around the same age. I'm as happy going to a Spanish mass as going to an English or Latin Novus Ordo, as long as it's celebrated with the reverence due the paschal mystery. And that's a pretty high bar. The Salve Regina is objectively more beautiful than protestant style praise and worship songs accompanied by an acoustic and electric guitar while we're living tabernacles.

From your post, it sounds like you left St. Bart's for St. Faustina. You should share your aversion to the Latin (and Greek by the way) parts of the Introductory Rites and Eucharistic prayer with Fr. Christopher Meyer. You might come away with some valuable perspective.

ETA: "We should take care that our personalities and individual preferences do not dominate our manner of liturgical celebration. The rubrics of the Roman Missal of 1962 are not to be added to the celebration of Mass according to the current edition of the Roman Missal of 1970. Likewise, anything unbecoming or foreign to the celebration of the Mass as it is prescribed in the Roman Missal is to be avoided." From Cardinal DiNardo on the implementation of Traditions Custodes.

It's ironic that you're upset about Fr. Plant pointing out that hand holding is not a gesture prescribed anywhere in the rubrics while lamenting changes that are explicit in the Roman missal.

I can confirm that the survey did go out, but I don't remember through what mechanism. Maybe flock note or on the parish website.
FTAggies
Went to a Latin mass funeral, hated it. No one knew what the hell was going on, readings were all in Latin; as if a single person in there could speak or understand Latin. My problem is that it seems that speaking in tongues is a substitute for holiness. Would MUCH rather have the Episcopalian mass than the Latin one, had reverence and tradition. But to each their own. Def glad they did away with hand holding, hated that crap, rather not have to worry about my sweaty hands grabbing someone else's
Gig'em
File5
AG
You would probably like an Anglican Ordinariate Mass, very ornate but traditional.

As for speaking in tongues, it's not that - it's speaking in Latin. People learn other languages all the time, and it was said that way for a long time. Why not learn? In addition, did they not have the red books to follow along and translate? Only been to one Latin Mass but they had red books to follow. The only other thing I would like to impress is that people I know going to the Latin Mass aren't going to get something out of Mass, like a show or something. They're attending the holy sacrifice of the Mass and that is enough. It doesn't matter whether they enjoy it or not.

I went to a NO Mass today and the priest kept interjecting personal suggestions and notes before every section like "and now we'll pray the Our Father and hold up each other's hands just like they did with Moses and the Amaleks" - great, but follow the liturgy man, come on. The Latin Mass is prescribed and does not depend on those attending/celebrating in large part. I find that very attractive compared to Mass with a priests going rogue or thinking that the Mass needs to be entertaining to be good.
oldyeller
AG
Latin Mass - All Souls Day Requiem

• Wednesday, September 14, 2022 - 6pm

At St. Thomas Aquinas in College Station. All are welcome

https://stabcs.org/latin-mass
miketrex
With all that has happened in the last 3 years, we need a permanent TLM here more than ever. Lots of people my wife and I know would support it. Thoughts?
Pax Dominus Sit Semper Vobiscum.
747Ag
AG
miketrex said:

With all that has happened in the last 3 years, we need a permanent TLM here more than ever. Lots of people my wife and I know would support it. Thoughts?
Pax Dominus Sit Semper Vobiscum.
What is the level of interest/demand in the area? Even so, in a Traditiones Custodes landscape, +Vasquez (let alone Rome) is highly unlikely to approve a new offering in BCS. Even so with approving a priest to say the Old Rite. Your best bet these days is to travel.

Many people travel quite a ways to assist at the TLM. Brenham. Waco. Dripping Springs. All three in your diocese. Our family used to be part of the Waco community. Good people there and has a footing in the local campus ministry. Lots of good work being done at St. Peter's. Similar, albeit smaller in scale, efforts in campus ministry there as is at St. Mary's. Further, those leading up the St. Gregory Society (TLM group) regularly communicate via email on Mass schedule. If you end up there, be sure to get on the email list.

Houston-metro has options, but I'm unfamiliar as I've never lived in the archdiocese.
Bob Lee
AG
In Houston your options on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation are Annunciation or Regina Caeli only. St. Bart's in Katy, and St. Theresa in Sugar Land are allowed two TLMs a month on weekdays. Dates and times vary.
PabloSerna
AG
"Travel quite a ways"

Not sure that was the plan for the neighborhood parish in the diocese.
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

"Travel quite a ways"

Would that all of our local parishes faithfully transmit the Faith...
PabloSerna
AG
747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

"Travel quite a ways"

Point taken. Just sounds like the liturgy was being put front and center ahead of the mission.
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

"Travel quite a ways"

Point taken. Just sounds like the liturgy was being put front and center ahead of the mission.

In parishes where the TLM is available, the Faith tends to be transmitted more effectively, and this includes diocesan parishes not associated with Ecclesia Dei.

Furthermore, Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi, Lex Vivendi... The prayers and rubrics of the ordo are very much a part of the transmission of the Faith.
aggietony2010
AG
Since St. Bartholomew in Katy was mentioned, here's the schedule through June. If you decide to make it to one, feel free to say hello after. I'll be the giant ginger with 1-4 kids with me in the St. Joseph side transcept.

PabloSerna
AG
If the liturgy were the only part of the mission, you would have more standing. There is more, much more my friend.
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

If the liturgy were the only part of the mission, you would have more standing. There is more, much more my friend.
What am I missing? What standing do I lack?

Edit: Or for those driving long distances for Holy Mass... what are they missing or what standing do they lack?
DeProfundis
747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

Edit: Or for those driving long distances for Holy Mass... what are they missing or what standing do they lack?

You forgot to comfort the homosexual, or help an illegal migrant fraudulently file an asylum claim, or claim littering and abortion are both pro-life issues; real Catholic stuff
747Ag
AG
DeProfundis said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

You forgot to comfort the homosexual, or help an illegal migrant fraudulently file an asylum claim, or claim littering and abortion are both pro-life issues; real Catholic stuff

Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.
Mark Fairchild
AG
In the Corpus Christi Diocese we are forbidden to have the TLM. St. John the Baptist was growing and had a fourishing parish, but was shut down by our Bishop. The priest of St. John the Baptist has since left the priesthood since he was no longer allowed to celebrate the TLM. Heartbreaking.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
powerbelly
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

In the Corpus Christi Diocese we are forbidden to have the TLM. St. John the Baptist was growing and had a fourishing parish, but was shut down by our Bishop. The priest of St. John the Baptist has since left the priesthood since he was no longer allowed to celebrate the TLM. Heartbreaking.
As a non-Catholic this is just mind boggling.

What is the harm of allowing TLM? Is it somehow heretical?
DeProfundis
powerbelly said:

Mark Fairchild said:

As a non-Catholic this is just mind boggling.

What is the harm of allowing TLM? Is it somehow heretical?
It has become a bogeyman for the Pope who crazily enough has issued many calls to minister to the marginalized; all while marginalizing the brightest lights in the church.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.