Just imagine when an EMP takes out our grid?

34,520 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12924203/Compton-criminals-street-takeover-bakery-California.html
Quote:

A chaotic street takeover in Compton led to an outrageous break in that cost a local mom-and-pop bakery at least $20,000 not even two days into the new year.

At around 3.30am on Tuesday morning, a mob of looters decimated the business, leaving bits of wall and merchandise strewn across the floor and making off with entire cash registers.

The target of the robbery was the longstanding Ruben's Bakery & Mexican Food, which sits near the intersection of El Segundo Boulevard and Santa Fe Avenue - reportedly an especially popular place fofor street takeovers to occur.

Quote:

Another unidentified neighborhood woman said that police are constantly being called to the area because of the high frequency of the street takeovers.

'It's kind of normal for us now, which is kind of sad to say,' she said. 'I'm kind of like desensitized to it because it happens so often, but this was kind of like, the last straw. I'm not too sure what to do about it.'

Quote:

When members of the Sheriff's Department did ultimately arrive at the scene, the criminals took off. No arrests have officially been made in relation to the destruction of the bakery.
When somebody takes out the power grid then every big city will be a real life episode of the Walking Dead.

It's sad what progressives have done to this once great country. Hold onto your guns and buy more ammo is the only advice I got.
Old May Banker
AG
Picard
AG
There's something.....familiar here.......

Rapier108
Quote:

When somebody takes out the power grid then every big city will be a real life episode of the Walking Dead.
More like The Purge.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
CanyonAg77
AG
AR-15s are immune to EMP

Just sayin
javajaws
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

AR-15s are immune to EMP

Just sayin

So are the bullets that power them!
Fat Black Swan
AG
An EMP today would be inconvenient.

But in 50 years, we'd go back to the stone age .
The Fife
There's a good two or three of us in the neighborhood whose cars would still work after an EMP, so there's that anyway.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
This is why there are large capacity magazines.
Aggie Infantry
AG
"An EMP today would be inconvenient.

But in 50 years, we'd go back to the stone age ."

Please explain. I think it will be much worse today. So many things controlled by microchips.

When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
tk111
AG
Fat Black Swan said:

Huh? Is this a quote from 1915?
NoahAg
Fat Black Swan said:

Depending on the scale it would be more than inconvenient. Most people would be without food within 3 days. Transportation would shutdown. Not to mention water processing and distribution facilities.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Read "One Second After".

An EMP or severe Mass Coronal Ejection from the sun could do some pretty catastrophic damage to a large region. Let's hope it isn't here in the US.
AggDogg61
Color me surprised.
Fat Black Swan
AG
tk111 said:

Fat Black Swan said:

Probably understated but I meant inconvenient as far as civilizational survival. There are still people alive today who would be able to function without the technology that would be taken out by an EMP. That number is shrinking each generation to a point where there won't be a large enough population to maintain civilization. Maybe, we're already to that point.
Kozmozag
Any shop owner in Cali who uses force to try and stop that, would end up in prison.
P.U.T.U
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Read "One Second After".

An EMP or severe Mass Coronal Ejection from the sun could do some pretty catastrophic damage to a large region. Let's hope it isn't here in the US.

Guy did a ton of research to write that book, so much so that some of the US military made it standard reading. Within a year 90% of people in the south would be dead, something like 70% of people on meds dead within 60 days since there would be no way to get refills
CDUB98
AG
Fat Black Swan said:

I disagree. An EMP today would decimate any large city.
CDUB98
AG
The Fife said:

There's a good two or three of us in the neighborhood whose cars would still work after an EMP, so there's that anyway.
Hate to tell you. but IIRC, and EMP takes out all electronics, even analog.
LMCane
this was basically the Netflix movie with Julia Roberts that came out a few weeks ago..

and if there is ever an EMP set off over Chicago, the USA will rapidly collapse.
AggieKatie2
AG
Why 90% of South?
CDUB98
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

Why 90% of South?
I'm thinking rampant diabetes and heart disease without drug treatments to hold them at bay.

Only a guess.

But, yeah, I think I may also disagree with 90%. Lots of country folk would find a way to live, some comfortably, given the circumstances.
Mr. White
LMCane said:

this was basically the Netflix movie with Julia Roberts that came out a few weeks ago..

and if there is ever an EMP set off over Chicago, the USA will rapidly collapse.

Why Chicago?
Pinochet
Do they want RTKs? This is how you get RTKs.

Not that that's a bad thing.
P.U.T.U
AG
It is so hot and we won't have any way to preserve meat without refrigeration. Most people won't be able to get food plots developed enough to prevent starvation.
Aggie Infantry
AG
One Second After started me on the path.

Read the 12 book series by A. American. Each book has "Home" in the title (Going Home, Surviving Home, Conflicted Home, etc...). Also read Johnathan Hollerman's EMP series. Both are fiction based around an EMP on the U.S. All have good tips and tricks throughout.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
LMCane
Fat Black Swan said:

tk111 said:

Fat Black Swan said:

Probably understated but I meant inconvenient as far as civilizational survival. There are still people alive today who would be able to function without the technology that would be taken out by an EMP. That number is shrinking each generation to a point where there won't be a large enough population to maintain civilization. Maybe, we're already to that point.
this is an awful take

sure, there are some farmers in the midwest who may be able to survive by digging their crops BY HAND

but to think the rest of the country can survive with no vehicles is pretty insane. who delivers food to the inner cities? horse drawn wagons?!

once that starts, it's open season for much of the population to begin to attack their neighbors.
LMCane
Mr. White said:

LMCane said:

Why Chicago?
it's the middle of the country for a nuclear airburst to set off an EMP with the greatest effect. also takes out the most arable farmland

P.U.T.U
AG
This, and our logistics is based on technology. We have one of the most complex supply chains out there (it is amazing on how good it is as well) and if we lose electricity it comes to a halt.

You would most military bases and placed like Amazon have protection, they do not. The lead times for replacement parts to get them up and running would be over a year and any help from overseas would take months

The main reason other countries don't drop an EMP is we could do the same
CDUB98
AG
The Fife said:

Well, at least according to Wiki, my earlier statement on cars is likely incorrect.

Quote:

On cars[edit]

An EMP would probably not affect most cars, despite modern cars' heavy use of electronics, because cars' electronic circuits and cabling are likely too short to be affected. In addition, cars' metallic frames provide some protection. However, even a small percentage of cars breaking down due to an electronic malfunction would cause traffic jams.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse#cite_note-metaR320-41][41][/url]
agwrestler
AG
Pinochet said:

My Google-fu is failing to help me determine what the acronym RTK is
fc2112
CDUB98 said:

The Fife said:

Well, at least according to Wiki, my earlier statement on cars is likely incorrect.

Quote:

On cars[edit]

An EMP would probably not affect most cars, despite modern cars' heavy use of electronics, because cars' electronic circuits and cabling are likely too short to be affected. In addition, cars' metallic frames provide some protection. However, even a small percentage of cars breaking down due to an electronic malfunction would cause traffic jams.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse#cite_note-metaR320-41][41][/url]

I think older cars would be a lot more suspectable to an EMP pulse than new cars.
fc2112
agwrestler said:

Pinochet said:

My Google-fu is failing to help me determine what the acronym RTK is
An alternative to GPS satellites.
Pinochet
Roof top Koreans
eric76
AG
fc2112 said:

CDUB98 said:

The Fife said:

Quote:

On cars[edit]

I think older cars would be a lot more suspectable to an EMP pulse than new cars.
Wouldn't the modern electronics tend to make the new cars far more susceptible? It doesn't take much of a surge to burn out modern chips.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.