How do y'all rate Bill Clinton as a president?

6,881 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by oh no
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
During his time as POTUS how well or bad would you say he performed?

Curious to see how he grades out on TexAgs.
AggieDruggist89
AG
No clue.. I was young, had little kids... Seemed like he was always in some sort of women trouble...

Monica... Paula... Linda... Then Hillary slapping the **** out of him.

hunter2012
AG
Given the collective sprint towards the left in this country, his administration was more conservative than Trump's was.
RafterAg223
AG
Far better than the current vegetable or Barry
zoneag
If 1995 Bill Clinton showed up today he'd be a racist, xenophobic, literal Hitler. His positions on illegal immigration, crime, and welfare reform would be to the right of the establishment GOP today.
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

No clue.. I was young,

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Gunner90'
Had aspirations to be horrible, but settled into mediocre. Greatly helped by Newt.
BigRobSA
hunter2012 said:

Given the collective sprint towards the left in this country, his administration was more conservative than Trump's was.

Yep

Thanks to Newt & Co.
DD88
AG
The economy did well after Republicans took Congress in 1994 and Clinton worked with them for the most part.

Clinton's Bimbo Eruptions were 10 times bigger than anything Trump is currently being indicted for.

Hillary's Healthcare takeover was halted (at least until the Obama years).
YouBet
AG
In hindsight and relevant to Obama and Biden, he was a conservative. Completely different era though. Democrats had yet to sprint away from a semblance of sanity like they have now.

Now do JFK.
rwtxag83
AG
Loser.

'Balanced the budget' by gutting the military. Enacted don't ask don't tell as literally the first action he took in office. Gutted FHA underwriting guidelines to create the erosion of sound home ownership, leading directly to the 'mortgage crisis' that had a huge negative effect on the housing market and overall economy. Couldn't keep his johnson in his pants.
Greater love hath no man than this....
MemphisAg1
AG
History would say pretty good from a policy perspective.

But also a huge scumbag, married to an even more deplorable, nasty woman.

They sold their souls for power. Gratifying to see he'll always have that impeached asterisk on his record, and that Hillary will be miserable forever for the "it's her turn" election that disappeared in that glorious night in November 2016.
RDV-1992
He was one of the better presidents of my lifetime. He was and is a horrible person. But he was a good president.
Gigem314
AG
I give him 2.5 cigars out of 5.

BTKAG97
AG
Took 2 years of Clinton as President to flip the House of Representatives from Democrat to Republican control after 40 YEARS.

Interpret that as you will.
Aglaw97
AG
By today's standards, he was far more conservative. He was the ultimate politician. And when the R flipped the house he was willing to read the political winds and work with them. But that was back in the time before social media and both sides would reach across the aisle far more than they do today
kb2001
AG
The first two years were a blitz towards far leftist policies. The result of that was the 94 election, the first Republican majority House in over 40 years.

To his credit, at this point Clinton realized what the people didn't want, and changed his ways. In particular, he killed his wife's radical agenda and she largely went silent. Primarily because Newt forced his hand, but he could have started writing executive orders for everything like Obama did but he didn't.

He was dragged kicking and screaming to a balanced budget by Newt. He opened the flood gates for industry insiders getting the regulatory job to match. His first action out of the gates was to accuse the travel office of theft, replace them all with his friends and donors, and proceed to drag the people through the mud for a few years before their acquittals.

On his way out the door, he granted pardons in exchange for donations to his wife's Senate campaign. He was a huge POS, but at least he was able to come to agreements with Congress on reducing the budget deficit, even it required the government to shut down twice to force his hand.
No Spin Ag
AggieDruggist89 said:

No clue.. I was young, had little kids... Seemed like he was always in some sort of women trouble...

Monica... Paula... Linda... Then Hillary slapping the **** out of him.

That's pretty much all I remember of his time in office was the women. That and NAFTA and Don't Ask Don't Tell.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
dmart90
AG
Correct.

Wrong. The difference here is there wasn't a GOP DA somewhere that wanted to make a name for themselves by going after Billy Boy.

Correct.

Bill Clinton was a mediocre President. He was good at connecting with people. He worked with the other side of the aisle (unlike 0 or Biden). His wife was always bsc.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
He was a Democrat, therefore not highly.

But to be fair, I will say that he was able to convey a message in such a way that he could get people behind him. And he adapted to the environment as it changed around him when as Peter Jennings once stated, "The American people had a tantrum" and dared to give the Republicans majority control of Congress in 1994.

I won't make any moral judgments on his inability to keep his pecker in his pants, but I will judge him on his choice of women. Hillary is such an unlikeable *****, but then, I suppose being married to that would lead one to hump any female that moved within his sight.
#FJB
W
AG
it's amazing looking back...how much better the Clinton presidency looks

the decade of the 90's was very, very prosperous for many people (including many a texags poster)
Burdizzo
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

History would say pretty good from a policy perspective.

But also a huge scumbag, married to an even more deplorable, nasty woman.

They sold their souls for power. Gratifying to see he'll always have that impeached asterisk on his record, and that Hillary will be miserable forever for the "it's her turn" election that disappeared in that glorious night in November 2016.

I kind saw Bill Clinton like he thought he was a rock star. His only motivation for doing anything and everything was just so he could get more chicks. He never really had a guiding ethic, but was as charismatic as any president since Kennedy .Tended to go with the flow of those around him, and those people were worse than him, especially Hillary and Reno
She stuck with him because he was her meal ticket on her power trip.
samsal75
AG
We would never have known Monica and what a Lewinsky was!!
WaldoWings
in retrospect, slick willy wasn't so bad.
one safe place
Not good but way better than obama and biden.
Gaw617
Hard to believe we are at a point where I think Clinton running today on his policies from the 90's is probably a republican. And that is with all his left garbage the first two years or so before republicans took the house. Sad really
Urban Ag
AG
BTKAG97 said:

Took 2 years of Clinton as President to flip the House of Representatives from Democrat to Republican control after 40 YEARS.

Interpret that as you will.
Same thing happened to Obama although not as stark of a rebuke as the GOP handed Clinton in 1994. The Dems overreached big time. Assault Weapons ban got apathetic whites out to vote and allowing Hillary to push socialized medicine pissed off a huge portion of the country.

It's hard to say how Clinton would have governed had he not lost Congress. He had to work with Gingrich and Lott. And honestly, the country, domestically anyway, was a pretty well oiled machine in the 90's, a nice continuation of Reagan's 80's. The country for the most part was quiet, functional, and civil.

Probably the worst thing the Clintons did to the country was the slow but sure weaponization of the alphabet agencies and reach of the DOJ. The "swamp" already existed but they grew the foundation to make it the Everglades.

With the Cold War over, the dems lost just about any focus on national security. They had about no interest in it at all. The Clinton administration allowed way too much sensitive technology (in particular satellite) to be sold to China as American businesses started the free for all of moving production there. Huge mistake.

I think Bill is a pretty morally bankrupt guy. But honestly, I never thought he was anti-American. He just wanted to be POTUS, have fun, and chase tail. His wife by contrast is a pure diabolical sociopath.

SuhrThang
Congressional gridlock lessened his effectiveness.
“A drunkard’s dream if I ever did see one”
G Martin 87
AG
Bill was the consummate dirty politician motivated by money and chicks.

Hillary was a true believer in radical politics motivated by power.

One was no different than most politicians. The other was far more dangerous.
Owlagdad
He joined the side of whoever was winning at the moment.
Urban Ag
AG
Owlagdad said:

He joined the side of whoever was winning at the moment.
I remember a quote but I can't recall who said it. Probably Morris.

Bill Clinton could be being chased out of town by a mob with pitchforks and torches and make it look like he was leading a parade

Flying Crowbar
AG
Had the opportunity to take out Bin Laden and did not. That decision changed history.
Ags4DaWin
He allowed entitlements to be included in considering loans and pushed for giving home loans to people who would not otherwise qualify. Once this was opened, it led to the crazy lending practices that led to the housing crisis.

He opened the US for the Chinese to begin to steal IP and opened our military to "Chinese cooperstion" which basically allowed the Chinese to copy rocket and Missilepropulsion and guidance tech and catch up in 8 years what would have otherwise taken them 20.

He allowed the Chinese to capture and take apart one of our spy planes they intentionally downed so they could reverse engineer the tech.

He encouraged businesses to invest in and build in China which hastened the shipping of mnf jobs overseas hurting blue collar workers and helping China to become the world's second largest economy.

He bombed Iraq to distract the public from his multiple sexual assaults, impeachment, and sexual harassment cases.

The dude was scum. Just because he rode the tech bubble doesn't mean he was a good guy or a good president.

He was just out pf office before the consequences of his bad decisions were made manifest.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Quote:

Thanks to Newt & Co.
Yep. Newt and his 'Contract with America.'

And, even in those pre social media days, the Democrat machine (and their willing media shills) would call it the 'Contract ON America.'

Every time I see the knowing distortions and outright lies the leftists bombard us with today, I remember how it's really nothing new. It's just they have a bigger megaphone and an even more ignorant electorate to preach to.
CanyonAg77
AG
Gunner90' said:

Had aspirations to be horrible, but settled into mediocre. Greatly helped by Newt.

Exactly. The tech boom made him the luckiest President in the last 40 years. I don't think he intended to win in 1992, he just wanted to set himself up as the front runner in 1996.

Clinton had the amazing ability, when he was being run out of town, to get out in front of the mob and make it look like he was leading a parade in his honor.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.