Anybody in the market for a new Ford F-150

15,388 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by EX TEXASEX
Dan Scott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the Houston area, there are 608 2023 F-150s available for sale based off a search on CarGurus. There 2,192 2024 models available. Nationwide there are over 54K F-150s available from 2023 and 2024. WOW.

The 2023s are being discounted as much as 20% The 2024s look like about 10% discount.

The average Ford F-150 sells for $57K. Assuming you do even a 20% down payment it's still a payment over $1K. Is Ford management on crack? How many people do they think are in the market for $1K car payment on a truck.

Sea Speed
AG
Millions are ok with that kind of car payment because Americans are morons and terrible with money.
samurai_science
Free market would solve this, if we had one, but maybe its still free enough to punish Ford and its unions for stupidity. Its not all just management, its also the union employees who also share a large part of the blame..
Dan Scott
AG
123 Chevy Silverados from 2023 in Houston area. 2,450 2024s of the Chevy Silverado 1500
Dan Scott
AG
274 Rams from 2023 in Houston area. 659 2024 Ram 1500s available in Houston.
DrEvazanPhD
At
20% off, how do they expect us to cover EV losses??
samurai_science
Couple of months old, so I am sure its gotten worse

Also this is days of supply inventory

Hawk2007
Dan Scott said:

The average Ford F-150 sells for $57K. Assuming you do even a 20% down payment it's still a payment over $1K. Is Ford management on crack? How many people do they think are in the market for $1K car payment on a truck.

It turns out, a lot will take that payment to impress the millions of residents in Texas they'll never meet or know.
Demosthenes81
AG
2011 F150 here. 300,000 miles. I'm good for another 10 years
Dan Scott
AG
By comparison there are 0 2023 Toyota Camrys available and 316 2024 Camrys available in Houston.

Ford misjudged the market for big expensive trucks
samurai_science

Repos are up a lot
AtticusMatlock
Those same car dealers marked up vehicles by thousands of dollars during the pandemic. I don't feel bad for them.
Dan Scott
AG
Is that a problem for a truck to sit on a lot for over a year? For fun I'll go try and buy one. I'm not a truck guy but am for the right price.
Kraft Punk
People will buy trucks eventually

Now do dog**** evs that only idiots will ever want?

samurai_science
AtticusMatlock said:

Those same car dealers marked up vehicles by thousands of dollars during the pandemic. I don't feel bad for them.
I dont feel bad for the unions losing jobs to Mexico either.
Dan Scott
AG
You could probably lease a 2023 truck for about $300-400/month. The price they sell it compared to the residual can't be too wide.
shiftyandquick
So you guys ready to stop supporting tariffs on foreign made trucks? Cause if not, stop complaining about the prices
aezmvp
Yay for CAFE standards making all things as expensive as possible.
usmcbrooks
2022 AT4 Duramax
Gigem314
AG
shiftyandquick said:

So you guys ready to stop supporting tariffs on foreign made trucks? Cause if not, stop complaining about the prices
How about you guys stop supporting insane California-like emissions standards on the auto industry first.
deddog
AG
shiftyandquick said:

Deflect deflect deflect
peacedude
AG
Ford made an electric SUV Mustang a few years after they stuck a V-6 into the Ford GT (and Raptor pickup).

They are obviously being run by DEI hires who were fired by Boeing and/or the FAA.
Teslag
AG
The eco boost V'6's are awesome and powerful
ABATTBQ11
AG
samurai_science said:

Free market would solve this, if we had one, but maybe its still free enough to punish Ford and its unions for stupidity. Its not all just management, its also the union employees who also share a large part of the blame..

A bigger part of it is mpg standards. Trucks and SUV's have to be really efficient to not bring down the fleet mpg because they're a huge part of volume. That drives up the cost because automakers are having to push the envelope.
aggiehawg
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

2011 F150 here. 300,000 miles. I'm good for another 10 years
Not quite same. Bought a one ton in 2014. 2012 model with 20,000 miles on it.

Twenty two grand. Insurance paid some of that because he was forced off of the toad by a tailgator on a two lane road. He rolled. How he and our dog survived that crash and I saw the truck, IDK.

He took out pine trees, big ones. The Hubs has lived a charmed life. But I lived the worried life.
Gigem314
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

samurai_science said:

A bigger part of it is mpg standards. Trucks and SUV's have to be really efficient to not bring down the fleet mpg because they're a huge part of volume. That drives up the cost because automakers are having to push the envelope.
But…but…muh tariffs!
Ag_of_08
AG
Kraft Punk said:

People will buy trucks eventually

Now do dog**** evs that only idiots will ever want?

Honestly they won't buy these either. The VAST majority of people cannot swing 800-1000$ a month payment oflver 7 and 8 years.... they're never going to get rid ofnthe inventory. Even the auctions are struggling to sell new trucks as used.
peacedude
AG
Teslag said:

The eco boost V'6's are awesome and powerful

I know they can get that engine up to 600+HP, but the new top-dog Mustang has a V-8 and about 1000hp.

But going back to poor Ford mgmt, it costs over $300K.
Sea Speed
AG
Got an email from the dealer we bought our 21 expy from telling us we should totally trade our car in for something more safe and more reliable. Mother****er my car i bought from you is 3 years old and barely out of warranty, it better still be safe and reliable. What a ridiculous pitch that probably actually works on people.
Hawk2007
Dan Scott said:

Is that a problem for a truck to sit on a lot for over a year? For fun I'll go try and buy one. I'm not a truck guy but am for the right price.

Lot rot is a real phenomenon, but you should still get the full warranty if you buy a year old truck.
Hawk2007
Sea Speed said:

Got an email from the dealer we bought our 21 expy from telling us we should totally trade our car in for something more safe and more reliable. Mother****er my car i bought from you is 3 years old and barely out of warranty, it better still be safe and reliable. What a ridiculous pitch that probably actually works on people.

About once a year, I get the "Somebody came in looking for a used vehicle just like yours!" spam messages from the dealer I bought my car from. I've always been tempted to reply, "This vehicle isn't available at Manheim? Really?" I just ignore it.
CardiffGiant
AG
That's my truck!
Hawk2007
Dan Scott said:

You could probably lease a 2023 truck for about $300-400/month. The price they sell it compared to the residual can't be too wide.

Trucks generally don't lease well. Then again, who knows what will be offered by the financial arms of the makers.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The auto industry doesn't care. They remember what the government did for banks during the housing crunch. Why not take some risks?
Teslag
AG
I traded a 2021 Silverado 1500 to Carvana for $34,600 a few weeks ago and they are selling it now for $38k. Seems like a very low margin for that business.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.