Anybody in the market for a new Ford F-150

15,376 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by EX TEXASEX
Old Sarge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teslag said:

TexasRebel said:

That's not long after they hamstrung engines with CAFE regulations.

So much so that one solution to reduce the PPM was to simply inject air into the exhaust manifold.

So not only were the emission not reduced, the were worse because power was lost to injecting air into the exhaust.

Prior to CAFE regulations

1975 F Series Engine options

4.9L I-6 117hp
5.0L V-8 130hp
6.4L V-8 160hp
7.5L V-8 239hp

There's simply no getting around the fact that today's trucks are more capable and more powerful than they ever have been and it isn't really close.

Today's 2.7 Ecoboost produces 325hp and is simply better than every engine in 1975. And probably more reliable as well.
You have an unhealthy disdain for V-8's, don't you?
Green is the new RED.
Teslag
AG
My current 6.6 Duramax is a V8
scd88
AG
I have a 2022 F150 with the 3.5 boost. 41k miles, mostly highway. 2 doors rattle, the compass works 30% of the time. It's been in the shop for that 3 times. Another time for the AC.

Engine and transmission are fine. I have an extended warranty on it as I didn't want to pay out of pocket for turbo or transmission issues.

I hate this truck but need it for work. I've resorted to minimizing miles on it by using other vehicles and am pondering getting a used Camry until I can pay this off. Paying double payments to speed this process up so it's worth more than a nickel when I dispose of it.
Charpie
AG
scd88 said:

I have a 2022 F150 with the 3.5 boost. 41k miles, mostly highway. 2 doors rattle, the compass works 30% of the time. It's been in the shop for that 3 times. Another time for the AC.

Engine and transmission are fine. I have an extended warranty on it as I didn't want to pay out of pocket for turbo or transmission issues.

I hate this truck but need it for work. I've resorted to minimizing miles on it by using other vehicles and am pondering getting a used Camry until I can pay this off. Paying double payments to speed this process up so it's worth more than a nickel when I dispose of it.

That sucks.

Pay until you're not upside down. Then never buy a Ford again
Fannie Luddite
AG
rynning said:

As I posted in the Automotive board when it happened, my Ecoboost engine light came on so I took it to Ford where the guy said I had a pretty common issue: the engine was cracked per https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162071-0001.pdf

Yep, Ford cheaped out on designing the 1.5L 1.6L 2.0L and 2.3L Ecoboost Engines. There was just a tiny channel between the cylinders for coolant and it ended up blowing head gaskets. Supposedly fixed in 2020.

Also, Ford led all manufacturers in recalls for the past three years.
SchizoAg
AG
samurai_science said:

First car maker to bring a cheap truck into the market will clean up, but I am not sure its possible.
My understanding is that the problem is the government, as usual. You can't buy smaller trucks, because nobody can build them to meet the ridiculous MPG requirements. Since larger trucks have lesser MPG requirements, manufacturers are perversely incentivized to make bigger and bigger trucks.
SchizoAg
AG
fullback44 said:

harleyds2 said:

Well I drive my 2005 Chevy 2500 truck from belton to south falls county ranch east of hwy 6 3-4 days a week. 250k on the miles 6.0 gas. AM/FM radio, manual windows and locks. Doesn't burn oil. Paid $2800 in 2010 off the side of the road. Probably could sell for more than that now. It does have ac. I have hyd bale bed on it. It isn't pretty but mechanically sound. Driven to New Mexico a few times. People need to check pride in at the door. Change oil every 3k myself with synthetic oil. Normally do most Mx myself. I am 62 Retired and could buy whatever I want. But why. Vehicles are a horrible use of money as a highly depreciating People need to better evaluate priorities
Yeah I agree.. I compare that to my Dr buddy in Houston, he pays $90,000 a year in property taxes for his house, I asked him why? I said we all have money we can do things with but why have a house that cost you 90k a year in taxes alone …. He's wasting his kid's inheritance on paying taxes for this fancy house .. anyway, one day he will wake up and realize he wasted 2-3 million dollars he could have given to his 2 young daughters
The obvious answer: His wife.
Ag with kids
AG
SchizoAg said:

samurai_science said:

First car maker to bring a cheap truck into the market will clean up, but I am not sure its possible.
My understanding is that the problem is the government, as usual. You can't buy smaller trucks, because nobody can build them to meet the ridiculous MPG requirements. Since larger trucks have lesser MPG requirements, manufacturers are perversely incentivized to make bigger and bigger trucks.
Lower...
Phog06
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

12thMan9 said:

agsalaska said:

My next truck will be at least ten years old with low miles. I think that's the best way to go.

That truck only exists at the junk yard.

Good luck.

07 Tundra at 192,000.. not selling.

2012 F250 FX4 157,000…not selling
fullback44
AG
Yep !
shiftyandquick
'03 Tundra, 70k miles, not selling
TexasRebel
AG
Teslag said:

TexasRebel said:

That's not long after they hamstrung engines with CAFE regulations.

So much so that one solution to reduce the PPM was to simply inject air into the exhaust manifold.

So not only were the emission not reduced, the were worse because power was lost to injecting air into the exhaust.

Prior to CAFE regulations

1975 F Series Engine options

4.9L I-6 117hp
5.0L V-8 130hp
6.4L V-8 160hp
7.5L V-8 239hp

There's simply no getting around the fact that today's trucks are more capable and more powerful than they ever have been and it isn't really close.

Today's 2.7 Ecoboost produces 325hp and is simply better than every engine in 1975. And probably more reliable as well.

Now do leaded gasoline.
AgRad89
AG
Charpie said:

AgRad89 said:

So bought a new 2024 GMC Sierra 1500 a few months ago. Wanted a specific color inside and outside because I keep things a long time. Comparing the Toyota Tundra 1794, Ford F-150 King Ranch and the Sierra. Ended up going with the SLT loaded package which is basically a Denali without the sunroof, heads up display, adaptive suspension and Denali name none out of which I care about but it's $12,000 cheaper for basically the same truck. Ended up with a turbo diesel which gets crazy gas mileage. My best is 34 and I couldn't believe it when I got in the truck and had a 600 Mi range. I will never look at Toyota again. They are just so arrogant to deal with. After wheeling and dealing I managed to get the Sierra $12,000 off the sticker which was already thousands less than the 1-year-old Toyota and Ford. Deals are still out there but you just have to work at it.
Good luck when the truck goes on recall and you can't get the parts for it because GM isn't prepared for it.
AgRad89
AG
I don't think anybody worries about availability of parts when buying a truck for a major company.
Charpie
AG
AgRad89 said:

I don't think anybody worries about availability of parts when buying a truck for a major company.
I know no one does. However, this is my wheelhouse. And I'm giving you fair warning.
AgRad89
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

while I agree that car prices have gotten completely out of hand, and that many Americans completely screw themselves by trying to keep up with the Jones' with over spending and getting a 84 month loan with 6% interest and putting zero down.

However, if you can afford a nice, new vehicle and it doesn't make you live pay check to pay check I say go for it. You only live once, and a vehicle is something you use everyday. You might as well get something nice, if you're able to.

quick story: I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer when I was 23. I've always been, and continue to be a tight ass with money and always try to do the right thing, but after going through all my surgeries and treatments I realized just how precious life is and to enjoy it while you are here. So, when I was able to I decided to get a brand new truck, loaded out. Did I need it and all of it's technology? No, but I wanted it and we were able to budget it in our finances so I got it. Granted, I drive my trucks for at least 10 years so to me it was worth getting something I loved and would be happy with for a decade.

This is the way. Life is a journey, not a destination.
AgRad89
AG
Teslag said:

aggie93 said:

I'm going to be in the market for a truck in about a year and am debating what direction to go. My elder son in college has a 2013 F150 and I have a 2015 F150 my younger son will take to college. Wife has an nice Pallisade SUV that is almost paid off then we will be without any note. I don't currently drive that many miles but I really like having the utility of a truck. A Lariat level trim is pretty ideal for me, I like something that's nice but I don't need it to be over the top. I'm leaning towards a Tundra right now and maybe the Hybrid, the Fords have been good vehicles but they have had some issues (pretty acceptable considering age and miles, they are both 3.5 Ecoboosts). Whatever I buy I plan to drive for at least a decade. Thus I am tempted to buy something I won't put many miles on but I also want something that if I do end up needing to drive more I can. I don't want an old beater but I don't need something loaded to the gills either, I just like a nice and comfortable truck with some creature comforts and a really good backup camera.

Going to watch the market and see what happens in the election. I won't really need anything until August of '25.

Dude, get a Chevy with the 3.0 Duramax in LTZ with the cooled ventilated seats. I don't need a lot of the modern tech, but those ventilated seats in Texas can't be beat. And you can't back to not having them.

This is basically what I did. Tried to buy used Ford, GMC and Toyota but they could not find what I wanted and they were more expensive than the brand new GMC Sierra with all the deals and discounts. But going down to the base package you need and adding was much cheaper than an $80,000 Denali with stuff I did not need. I keep trucks for more than 10 years so this is the way I like to do it.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
Charpie said:

As far as the OP. Anywho...y'all...do not, I repeat....do not buy a 2022-2024 Ford F150. They are riddled with problems and the dealers can't keep up with all the recall work they have to do on them. Some of the recalls impact the drivetrain and make the trucks unsafe to drive.

Any thoughts on 2024 F-250 with 6.7 V8 D1 32 V OHV?
Ag92NGranbury
AG
FIDO*98* said:

fullback44 said:

Yeah I agree.. I compare that to my Dr buddy in Houston, he pays $90,000 a year in property taxes for his house, I asked him why? I said we all have money we can do things with but why have a house that cost you 90k a year in taxes alone …. He's wasting his kid's inheritance on paying taxes for this fancy house .. anyway, one day he will wake up and realize he wasted 2-3 million dollars he could have given to his 2 young daughters

Your Doctor Buddy would have to live in about a 15 million dollar house to pay 90K in taxes. No Doctor could afford that on a salary so I am assuming he owns a large practice or multiple practices. On top of that, you have the equity of the house which will increase over time. There will be plenty of Millions for his daughters to fight over one day. Meanwhile, he gets to enjoy living in an 8-figure house as a reward for his hard work.

4 million dollar house - 2.3% tax rate
Charpie
AG
You couldn't pay me to buy a Ford right now
TexasRebel
AG
It's more practical to buy a machine shop and build your own.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

As far as the OP. Anywho...y'all...do not, I repeat....do not buy a 2022-2024 Ford F150. They are riddled with problems and the dealers can't keep up with all the recall work they have to do on them. Some of the recalls impact the drivetrain and make the trucks unsafe to drive.
Covid quality control and supply chain hangover.

We got covid cars, we got covid kids and now we got covid quality airplanes flying around.
zephyr88
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

2011 F150 here. 300,000 miles. I'm good for another 10 years
I just upgraded my 2011 F150 Platinum with 300k miles for a 2023 F150 Platinum.

Favorable discounts combined with really low financing made it worthwhile.
one safe place
Charpie said:

You couldn't pay me to buy a Ford right now
lol yeah, we get it.

Pay to buy though? For me, if it was something I didn't want, it would depend on how much I was paid relative to the cost of buying. Pay me twice the cost, and I am all in on it.
Seamaster
AG
The highest car payment I've ever had is $470/month.

Only did it cause it was some "zero percent" interest deal at one point before Biden destroyed the economy.

The people that have $1k car payments for 84 months are always the people that can least afford it.
one safe place
Seamaster said:

Only did it cause it was some "zero percent" interest deal at one point before Biden destroyed the economy.

The people that have $1k car payments for 84 months are always the people that can least afford it.
You are probably correct in most cases. Even years and years ago, in my rather small town, I would have tax clients that had two nice vehicles. Payments of say $500 to $600 a month (depending on what time frame) on each vehicle. I knew from their tax documents how much they made in W-2 income, their house payment, property taxes, what they paid on their RV or boat, and other debt, if any. Invariably, their interest income was little or nothing as was their dividend income. Most didn't contribute to their 401(k) up to the percentage where their employer did the match.

Their combined W-2 income was pretty nice, but every penny of it was spent on stuff.
techno-ag
AG
one safe place said:

Seamaster said:

You are probably correct in most cases. Even years and years ago, in my rather small town, I would have tax clients that had two nice vehicles. Payments of say $500 to $600 a month (depending on what time frame) on each vehicle. I knew from their tax documents how much they made in W-2 income, their house payment, property taxes, what they paid on their RV or boat, and other debt, if any. Invariably, their interest income was little or nothing as was their dividend income. Most didn't contribute to their 401(k) up to the percentage where their employer did the match.

Their combined W-2 income was pretty nice, but every penny of it was spent on stuff.
It's not how much you make, it's how much you save that's important.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
EX TEXASEX
Dan Scott said:

In the Houston area, there are 608 2023 F-150s available for sale based off a search on CarGurus. There 2,192 2024 models available. Nationwide there are over 54K F-150s available from 2023 and 2024. WOW.

The 2023s are being discounted as much as 20% The 2024s look like about 10% discount.

The average Ford F-150 sells for $57K. Assuming you do even a 20% down payment it's still a payment over $1K. Is Ford management on crack? How many people do they think are in the market for $1K car payment on a truck.

If they don't sell those trucks how are all those UAW workers going to be able to afford all that weed and alcohol they buy at lunch ? Who will then assemble your car when they are high AF ??!! What a heart breaking situation.

They were all hired back and got all their back pay. So basiclly a 2 year vaction .

As usual it seems the Japanese Auto Companies have their crap together.

#FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.