went to Final Review

11,246 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by Ag CPA
JB99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EagleCamden said:

Tramp96 said:

Are they in shape?

That's where I originally thought you were going with this. I figured you were going to tell us there were a lot of cadets with bellies hanging over their belt who didn't look like they could do 20 pushups.

Not a dig at your Corps...just a dig at how physical fitness standards across the board, from the military to civil police, have been way compromised these past few years.
some were, some weren't. The BQ's weren't but that's normal.

My son just went through his fish year. I was class of 99. I thought they were more strict with ensuring cadets passed the PFT today then when I was in the Corps. There were tons of overweight out shape upperclassmen 20+ years ago that couldn't pass a PFT. In my son's case he dropped about 30 pounds. Can do about 50 push-ups, hold a plank for 2.5 minutes, and run 1.5 miles in about 13 minutes, that's about a 8:40 pace. Major improvement for him from about a 10 minute mile at 240 to 8:40 at 210 pounds. I was at final review as well. I saw alot of competent, well put together cadets. We're there outliers? Sure. But 20 years ago we had plenty of upperclassmen that didn't give a **** as well.
akm91
AG
PaulsBunions said:

akm91 said:

EagleCamden said:

Tramp96 said:

Are they in shape?

That's where I originally thought you were going with this. I figured you were going to tell us there were a lot of cadets with bellies hanging over their belt who didn't look like they could do 20 pushups.

Not a dig at your Corps...just a dig at how physical fitness standards across the board, from the military to civil police, have been way compromised these past few years.
The physical fitness requirements have been laxed significantly due to the desire to keep cadets from punching, especially the fish.

Not sure that's DEI driven but definitely changes the discipline portion of being in the Corps.

They actually increased PFT standards my zip year (2019). It wasn't much, but every year has a higher standard now unless they changed it again. For example I think the minimum pushups for a male fish was 42 and now it's in the high 50's.
I didn't phrase it properly. It's not the requirements themselves but whether the outfits hold the cadets accountable to doing the PT. My son's outfit allow a majority of the fish to skip morning PT on consistent basis which erodes the sense of unity amongst his buddy group.

Based on below, the minimum for pushups is still 42 as of 2021 for male cadets (page 10)

2021 Corps Physical Fitness Standards
JB99
AG
akm91 said:

PaulsBunions said:

akm91 said:

EagleCamden said:

Tramp96 said:

Are they in shape?

The physical fitness requirements have been laxed significantly due to the desire to keep cadets from punching, especially the fish.

Not sure that's DEI driven but definitely changes the discipline portion of being in the Corps.

They actually increased PFT standards my zip year (2019). It wasn't much, but every year has a higher standard now unless they changed it again. For example I think the minimum pushups for a male fish was 42 and now it's in the high 50's.
I didn't phrase it properly. It's not the requirements themselves but whether the outfits hold the cadets accountable to doing the PT. My son's outfit allow a majority of the fish to skip morning PT on consistent basis which erodes the sense of unity amongst his buddy group.

Based on below, the minimum for pushups is still 42 as of 2021 for male cadets (page 10)

It was the opposite in my son's outfit. Fish were always at PT. Even the gimps had specials PT they were made to do. Our experience was the accountability was much higher than it used to be. My son was stressing he was going to get kicked out if he didn't get his run time down to pass the PFT.
chickencoupe16
AG
JB99 said:

akm91 said:

PaulsBunions said:

akm91 said:

EagleCamden said:

Tramp96 said:

Are they in shape?

It was the opposite in my son's outfit.
And this is the crux of the issue as it has been for years and years. Different outfits value different things and it shows. My outfit allowed a bag-in any morning you had an exam which, for some, seemed to be multiple times a week. We were never, what would you say, physical specimens but often had the best GPA in the Corps, better than average march-in scores, and top tier inspection grades. Other outfits (I'm looking at you, Brogades) would run circles around our block but only for the 1.5 years it took them to fail out (joking... mostly). Some outfits were pretty good at finding a happy medium.

I'm sure that the differences across outfits is still largely the same for the same reasons but there is a trend of PT being less and less important in favor of retention. Even in an physically easy outfit, we got smoked every Friday at a minimum as fish. The next year, our fish rarely got smoked (Old Army's dead, so on and so forth).

TL;DR: It depends on the outfit but based on what I saw in my time and have heard since, I'd wager the average 2010 cadet was in better shape than the average today and that is because the Corps is focused on quantity, not quality.
akm91
AG
Lot of truths to what you said. The sad part about my son's outfit is that they can't even claim to have high GPA to offset their less than stellar physical fitness.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
BluHorseShu said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Barnyard96 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Barnyard96 said:

If we dont like something it must be DEI.

Are you suggesting that the Biden admin isn't shoving DEI into all govt entities including the corps? There is no doubt it's occurring, and for sure is with ROTC governed by Biden's regime.

I'm suggesting that not everything is DEI .

To the Biden admin, DEI is everything. And most assuredly the points raised are directly related to DEI. Its everywhere. Suggesting otherwise is just deflecting..
Suggesting its everywhere is BS. If anything its regressing. You're likely to get in more trouble now on campus for trying to promote it.
I think OP saw what he wanted to see. I could be wrong...but its just one anonymous posters word. There are many more former cadets I'll check with first before I find this credible. If it is, it sucks, if not its just another poster trying to get folks worked up for likes.

You are confusing TAMU / Campus activities with Federally directed ROTC and directives the bulls are required to follow. What I am saying is not BS.
BlueTaze
To rectify, you simply use DEI against them. Hassle libs who don't ask for your pronouns, and report microaggressions anonymously thru the corporate ethics channels.
JB99
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

JB99 said:

akm91 said:

PaulsBunions said:

akm91 said:

EagleCamden said:

Tramp96 said:

Are they in shape?

It was the opposite in my son's outfit.
And this is the crux of the issue as it has been for years and years. Different outfits value different things and it shows. My outfit allowed a bag-in any morning you had an exam which, for some, seemed to be multiple times a week. We were never, what would you say, physical specimens but often had the best GPA in the Corps, better than average march-in scores, and top tier inspection grades. Other outfits (I'm looking at you, Brogades) would run circles around our block but only for the 1.5 years it took them to fail out (joking... mostly). Some outfits were pretty good at finding a happy medium.

I'm sure that the differences across outfits is still largely the same for the same reasons but there is a trend of PT being less and less important in favor of retention. Even in an physically easy outfit, we got smoked every Friday at a minimum as fish. The next year, our fish rarely got smoked (Old Army's dead, so on and so forth).

TL;DR: It depends on the outfit but based on what I saw in my time and have heard since, I'd wager the average 2010 cadet was in better shape than the average today and that is because the Corps is focused on quantity, not quality.

That's sad. I do recognize there is less smoking. His outfit did appear to try and make up for that with the mandatory PT time, but if your outfit doesn't make that a priority you're not left with much.
EagleCamden
AG
Actually I saw what I didn't want to see...because my son is in the Corps and I wish it was a little more like it was back when I was there and not so....special. I get that the Corps evolves but sheesh!!! I mean, COME ON!!! For the Love!!

Just go see it for yourself next time instead of shooting the messenger.

RedAnimal12
I think the point was that you weren't exactly the messenger of... well, anything...
aTmAg
AG
Charpie said:

aTmAg said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

Flagged for rumor, unconfirmed, it false info.

If OP is going to make an accusation then not back it up, it needs to just go!
You want him to provide pictures or something? Seriously?
Why not?

There were hundreds of people at final review. If what he is accusing the corps of is true, it should be easy enough to prove. There are a lot of videos out there of final review.
Because posting pictures of students and mocking them (even when it's for good reason) would likely get them banned.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Copout. The Corps "squeeze" picture has been posted 11ty billion times on here.

I'm officially calling "BullS***" to bald bulldy**s and rainbow guideons.
Ol Jock 99
AG

This appears to be the whole first pass.
Sharpshooter
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I missed so much not living on campus in the 70's.
Barnyard96
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Battle of Flowers Parade; Seniors with peaks in their biders. Poor guy on the far left didn't get a cord

Abatt got the red cord this year.
SMM48
AG
Congratulations. That is awesome Gigem.
The Shank Ag
I'm so confused at what the outrage is after watching that clip… the amount of females leading?
Chips2003
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

So I was watching that, and listening to the jodies, and it got me thinking.

With everything we're talking about in this thread, and beating around the bush about... can you even sing good jodies anymore?

And follow up question, is there such a thing as a PC jodie?
BillYeoman
I am still trying to figure out what happened at Final Review?
Tailgate88
AG
A-Co got the GM again for the second time in the past three years.
TA-OP
chickencoupe16 said:

… the Corps is focused on quantity, not quality.
This isn't just a Corps problem. Based on my 14 years of employment, this is an A&M problem.
chickencoupe16
AG
TA-OP said:

chickencoupe16 said:

This isn't just a Corps problem. Based on my 14 years of employment, this is an A&M problem.
Absolutely. My major/department was not immune either (and in my case, thank god for the second chance that came from it).
TA-OP
chickencoupe16 said:

TA-OP said:

chickencoupe16 said:

Absolutely. My major/department was not immune either (and in my case, thank god for the second chance that came from it).
Sincerely hope things work out for you going forth; the College merges, and particularly the localization of various functions like IT, HR, and Finance have absolutely made my job unnecessarily worse.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Barnyard96 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Battle of Flowers Parade; Seniors with peaks in their biders. Poor guy on the far left didn't get a cord

Whats the red cord? Being taller than Ramirez award?
chickencoupe16
AG
TA-OP said:

chickencoupe16 said:

TA-OP said:

chickencoupe16 said:

Sincerely hope things work out for you going forth; the College merges, and particularly the localization of various functions like IT, HR, and Finance have absolutely made my job unnecessarily worse.
I no longer work for A&M so things are going very well. I can't imagine ever working for a university again. I left about a year after the consolidations occurred. The few benefits I saw (and they did exist) were greatly outweighed by the drawbacks. I hope all works out for you as well.
chickencoupe16
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Barnyard96 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Used to be highest GPA for a technical unit but they changed it at the end of my fish year. Can't remember what it is now.
ABATTBQ87
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Barnyard96 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Used to be highest GPA for a technical unit but they changed it at the end of my fish year. Can't remember what it is now.
just a participation award so everyone feels loved
Tailgate88
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Barnyard96 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

The Taylor Gillespie Award for Most Improved Unit.
Tex100
AG
Tailgate88 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Barnyard96 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

There is a cord for that?
chickencoupe16
AG
Tex100 said:

Tailgate88 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Barnyard96 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Yeah, that's it. Cord says "2 years ago we absolutely blew, last year we didn't suck as much". I'd be interested to know if any units have received it multiple times since it's inception (2013 ish).
chap
AG
Seems like I remember there being a Most Improved cord in the 90s. Worst to First. But it was called something else and I don't think it was red.
Barnyard96
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Barnyard96 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Most improved outfit of entire corps.
EagleCamden
AG
chap said:

Seems like I remember there being a Most Improved cord in the 90s. Worst to First. But it was called something else and I don't think it was red.

Commandants award and it was maroon w speckled white
Barnyard96
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

Tex100 said:

Tailgate88 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Barnyard96 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Yeah, that's it. Cord says "2 years ago we absolutely blew, last year we didn't suck as much". I'd be interested to know if any units have received it multiple times since it's inception (2013 ish).

Abatt definitely went through a rough spell.
Buck Turgidson
Are we really 3 pages into a post about nothing?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.