Aggienetwork Email Changes

32,363 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by fav13andac1)c
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enzomatic said:

TMoney2007 said:

Big Cat `93 said:

The lack of advance notice is pretty galling.
March 31st, 2024 is 4 full months from now,...

That's advanced notice. You want a year?

Were you told by them directly? Or did you find out on Texags, like the rest of us?

No notice has been given as of yet, fyi.
I agree they should send emails as notification.

But it's not like someone heard through the grapevine and posted a rumor here. They published this on their website. Is it the best form of notice? No. But hard to say no notice has been given....
Enzomatic
htxag09 said:

Enzomatic said:

TMoney2007 said:

Big Cat `93 said:

The lack of advance notice is pretty galling.
March 31st, 2024 is 4 full months from now,...

That's advanced notice. You want a year?

Were you told by them directly? Or did you find out on Texags, like the rest of us?

No notice has been given as of yet, fyi.
I agree they should send emails as notification.

But it's not like someone heard through the grapevine and posted a rumor here. They published this on their website. Is it the best form of notice? No. But hard to say no notice has been given....

What percentage of users will check their website to know this? How many will not even know about this until it's gone?

Is this how you break up with people too? "Well, I put up a flier outside my office saying we were done, so you should have checked and known. Lots of other people knew. Your fault for not checking, so you can't be upset."

Strange that people are defending that this is an acceptable way to tell users that they are losing a service they have had for years.
Diggity
AG
agreed.

Obviously not the same size and scale, but I look at Amazon as another example of sunsetting a product/feature.

Amazon is ending their Drive service at the end of this year. I just counted 13 emails from them over the last 18 months preparing users for that change.
htxag09
AG
Not defending them at all
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
We have been grateful for the opportunity to provide AggieNetwork.com email accounts as a service to our former students and our hope was to continue this in perpetuity. Unfortunately, due to Google's continued changes to its Workspace for Education program and based on security recommendations from industry professionals within the Aggie Network, we concluded that there were no viable options other than to sunset the program.

We understand the inconvenience this can present to so many of our users and worked to start communicating the update as soon as we knew that continuing the program was not a viable option and as much in advance of March 31, 2024 as possible.

To ensure that we get the word out to those affected by this change, we will be rolling out a number of communications across multiple channels over the course of the next few months.

We started with an announcement on our website (www.aggienetwork.com/news/160253/security-changes-coming-to-aggienetworkcom-email/) and included the information in the November issue of AggieNews, our monthly email newsletter that was distributed last Wednesday (11/22) to over 400,000 Aggies.

We will follow this up with additional announcements on other channels, as well as direct notifications to individual users.

As we all transition through this process, we thank you for your patience and understanding and appreciate you helping to spread the word to others who may be affected. In the meantime, we will strive to make this process as easy as possible for our users.

Please reach out to us at AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com with any additional questions or concerns.

Randy '01
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
aTm2004
AG
So, no email address possibilities for former students?
aggie_wes
AG
This is the same thing you should have sent in an email. If I hadn't seen this thread, I would have no idea I was about to lose access to 10+ accounts that I use regularly, not to mention the probably 40+ that I only use occasionally.

Honestly, this was piss poor communication. I understand the reasoning, but the notification was pathetic. How often do people go to aggienetwork.com? I bet I've been to that site fewer than a dozen times in the last 15 years. Less than a 1% chance I would have known about this if it was only posted on that website.

Do better.
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
aTm2004 said:

We are continuing to explore possibilities; however, we currently do not have any viable prospects.

Randy '01
double aught
AG
aggie_wes said:

This is the same thing you should have sent in an email. If I hadn't seen this thread, I would have no idea I was about to lose access to 10+ accounts that I use regularly, not to mention the probably 40+ that I only use occasionally.

Honestly, this was piss poor communication. I understand the reasoning, but the notification was pathetic. How often do people go to aggienetwork.com? I bet I've been to that site fewer than a dozen times in the last 15 years. Less than a 1% chance I would have known about this if it was only posted on that website.

Do better.
But you did see the thread. And now you do know. So go tell others if you think they need to know too.
Diggity
AG
Do better.

What a ridiculous sign off.
fav13andac1)c
AG
What has everyone else done since the storage was nixed? I've gone self-hosted with an UNRAID box, and am now considering self-hosting email, but may just do cloudflare email routing with a custom domain.
RockwallAg
AG
I understand the aggienetwork email was free service and as such should not be considered a right but more of a privilege.

I transitioned to my Aggienetwork email address exclusively about 11 years ago and now am faced with having to adjust a significant part of my online presence.

That said the communication for the change was handled poorly. An email to our aggienetwork email accounts would have been preferred in addition to multiple other communication methods.

Another concern is that I am an alumnus of several other colleges as well as Texas A&M (2x) and they all offer alumni so type of email solution. Why can't the aggienetwork?

Granted at this point if another solution was offered I might sign up to use it but I certainly wouldn't count on it being my main email address after this change

Stymied
AG
Quote:

What are @AggieNetwork.com email accounts?
We started the @AggieNetwork.com email program many years ago as a way to provide former students with an official, Aggie-branded email address. The program offers up to five @AggieNetwork.com email addresses "for life" and for free. That is the purpose of the program, and what we are doing our utmost to keep. After the program became powered by Gmail, Google added features like Google Drive and Docs to these accounts (formerly "G Suite for Education" accounts, now called Google Workspace for Education).

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/156752/upcoming-google-storage-policy-changes/
Enzomatic
So is the consensus on here that protonmail is the best alternative to switch to at this point? What're the benefits to using that option over others?
Big Cat `93
AG
I'd pay for it, too.
aTm2004
AG
Enzomatic said:

So is the consensus on here that protonmail is the best alternative to switch to at this point? What're the benefits to using that option over others?

I'm in the Apple ecosystem and just set up an iCloud address. I have a gmail address that I use when I buy stuff. The AN address was given to family and friends to use.
eric76
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Keep an eye on protonmail deals this week. I'm on a pretty solid plan that also includes their vpn.
Yeah.

I have a Visionary Plan at ProtonMail.

That allows me to have five more users on my account, each with up to 10 VPNs, 25 calendars, password manager, up to 100 e-mail addresses between all six users, and 6.5 terabytes total storage.

About the only downside is that the additional accounts only have e-mail addresses on the local domains, not on the proton domains. I think that it is possible to add someone with a ProtonMail address onto the account and they keep their ProtonMail address.

So I never really used the Aggie Network address all that much.

I was going to add a free Google Voice number to it but it wouldn't let me do it without administrator support, but I already had a gmail address that I could use instead.
eric76
AG
Diggity said:

agreed.

Obviously not the same size and scale, but I look at Amazon as another example of sunsetting a product/feature.

Amazon is ending their Drive service at the end of this year. I just counted 13 emails from them over the last 18 months preparing users for that change.
ProtonMail has a drive feature as well. My account can use up to 6.5 terabytes of storage.
eric76
AG
Aggie Network said:

aTm2004 said:

We are continuing to explore possibilities; however, we currently do not have any viable prospects.

Randy '01
There are some other services that do pretty well at hosting domains.

One is greatmail.com. I think their charge is something like $1 per month per address. I would bet that for a large entity they would offer better rates.

If you want to take a look at the Greatmail interface, let me know and I'll set you up an account to try out.

Another option is mailfence.com out of Europe.

Best of all would be ProtonMail out of Switzerland, but it can be quite expensive. I think that on business accounts, it is typically around $10 per user per month.

You might also look at Vivaldi.net. I don't know if they can/will do mail hosting, though.
eric76
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

What has everyone else done since the storage was nixed? I've gone self-hosted with an UNRAID box, and am now considering self-hosting email, but may just do cloudflare email routing with a custom domain.
I would only count on cloud storage as a backup copy.

There were reports in the last week or two about Google losing a lot of files on their service.

From https://www.spiceworks.com/tech/data-management/news/google-drive-loses-user-data/

Quote:

Google's Drive cloud storage platform users have reported a significant issue with several accounts. Apparently, a bug has resulted in the loss of data stored over the past few months, including documents, photos, and videos. So far, the issues have been found to affect only those users accessing Google Drive through desktop platforms in versions 84.0.0.0 through 84.0.4.0.

Google has acknowledged the issue and has initiated an investigation to fix the problem with a community support thread. The problem initially came to light with a user losing all of their data on Drive dating back to May 2023. The data was not recovered despite efforts from Google's support team.

The issue highlights the importance of multiple backup data sources, especially for sensitive data. It also focuses on the vulnerabilities of the increasingly popular cloud storage services operating worldwide.
eric76
AG
Enzomatic said:

ProtonMail https://www.proton.me has what I think is the best done user interface of any that I have seen. I also like their cell phone app best, too. With a paid account, you can also get VPN services, storage, calendar, and other benefits.

The approximately $4 per month individual account is not bad at all. Free accounts are limited in storage -- an old friend of mine has a free account there the the storage limits means that he has to prune his mail fairly often. I try not to send him anything with large attachments.

They also have fully integrated encryption. If someone breaks into their servers and steals your e-mail files, they are going to really have to want to target your e-mail in order to break the encryption key to get the actual text.

A couple of years ago, ProtonMail came under one of the largest denial of service attacks ever seen. That did slow it down a bit, but you could still send and receive your e-mail in a timely manner.

For what it's worth, I have a Visionary account which they no longer offer. They now offer a Proton Family account with up to 3 terabytes of storage. Currently, they are offering a special Cyber Week discount of 33% off for a year's coverage. If you want a pay account, this week is the time to act (I don't know when it ends).

Vivaldi https://vivaldi.com/features/mail/ is another excellent choice. I don't know if they have a paid version, but the free version has includes 5 gigabytes of storage (for some reason, mine shows 10 gigabytes available). I have a Vivaldi account that I mainly use for sending the logs from my various servers. If you want a free e-mail that is very good, this is my number one recommendation. You can also access it with an e-mail client using POP3 or IMAP.

It can also handle encryption quite well. My server logs are encrypted since they could potentially include confidential information. If I remember correctly, I set up the encryption key on my workstation and uploaded it to Vivaldi. This lets me read the logs from the browser or from an e-mail client.

I'm not positive, but I think that Vivaldi is run out of Iceland. I've been using their browser for quite a while and it is easily my favorite.

If not for ProtonMail, this would easily be my top choice.

Another popular choice that is not too bad is MailFence www.mailfence.com which is another of the encrypted e-mail services that is popular.

One nice thing that I understand that MailFence does (I just have a free account there that I use for testing) is that you can use it as an e-mail client for other e-mail services that offer POP3 or IMAP. I think it has a limit of something like 5 or 10 such other services that it can handle for one account. For example, you could conceivably use a single MailFence account to handle your e-mail for Gmail, Aggie Network, Hotmail, Yahoo, and Greatmail all at the same time from one location.

I just checked their site. The free account lets you have up to 500 megabytes of e-mail and up to 500 megabytes of storage, but you don't get the POP3 or IMAP access or access to handle other services. For $3.50 a month, you get up to 10 gigabytes of emails and 30 gigabytes of document storage.

I believe that Greatmail used to have free accounts, but looking at their web site, I'm not clear those are still available.

By the way, I just looked at Vivaldi's page again and I see they can interface with other providers like what MailFence does. I'm definitely going to take a further look at this. So far, I'm striking out on it. They may be referring to some other feature of the Vivaldi browser.
BonfireNerd04
My @aggienetwork.com address is a forward to @gmail.com instead of a storage account. Will that still work?
Big Cat `93
AG
The Vivaldi browser is pretty nice. I didn't know they have that kind of e-mail/storage setup.
Spotted Ag
AG
How will this change affect YouTube accounts using aggienetwork emails? Will those go away also?
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
BonfireNerd04 said:

My @aggienetwork.com address is a forward to @gmail.com instead of a storage account. Will that still work?
Quote:

How will this change affect YouTube accounts using aggienetwork emails? Will those go away also?
The accounts will be permanently disabled and unable to send, receive, or forward any emails. Any Google services included with the account (Google Photos, Google Play, YouTube, etc.) will also be disabled.

Randy '01
eric76
AG
Aggie Network said:

BonfireNerd04 said:

Quote:

The accounts will be permanently disabled and unable to send, receive, or forward any emails. Any Google services included with the account (Google Photos, Google Play, YouTube, etc.) will also be disabled.

Randy '01
Are you looking at the possibility of finding another hosting provider or just ending it once and for all.
double aught
AG
They are "sunsetting" it. I guess that's corporate/tech jargon for ending something without saying it's ending.
TAMUallen
AG
Aggie Network said:

BonfireNerd04 said:

Quote:

Randy '01

Worthless. Don't give things you can't keep, just to screw those over who used what you offered.
TAMUallen
AG
Stymied said:

Quote:

What are @AggieNetwork.com email accounts?
We started the @AggieNetwork.com email program many years ago as a way to provide former students with an official, Aggie-branded email address. The program offers up to five @AggieNetwork.com email addresses "for life" and for free. That is the purpose of the program, and what we are doing our utmost to keep. After the program became powered by Gmail, Google added features like Google Drive and Docs to these accounts (formerly "G Suite for Education" accounts, now called Google Workspace for Education).

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/156752/upcoming-google-storage-policy-changes/

Now it isn't that and zero transition. Top notch work, thanks.
fav13andac1)c
AG
eric76 said:

fav13andac1)c said:

I would only count on cloud storage as a backup copy.

There were reports in the last week or two about Google losing a lot of files on their service.

From https://www.spiceworks.com/tech/data-management/news/google-drive-loses-user-data/

Quote:

Google's Drive cloud storage platform users have reported a significant issue with several accounts. Apparently, a bug has resulted in the loss of data stored over the past few months, including documents, photos, and videos. So far, the issues have been found to affect only those users accessing Google Drive through desktop platforms in versions 84.0.0.0 through 84.0.4.0.

Google has acknowledged the issue and has initiated an investigation to fix the problem with a community support thread. The problem initially came to light with a user losing all of their data on Drive dating back to May 2023. The data was not recovered despite efforts from Google's support team.

The issue highlights the importance of multiple backup data sources, especially for sensitive data. It also focuses on the vulnerabilities of the increasingly popular cloud storage services operating worldwide.

Amen. Which is exactly why I'm not relying on a cloud service at all. I built my own PC for backing up my files using UNRAID as the local OS. I can access it over my LAN or remotely using Tailscale.

I'm working towards having a 3-2-1 solution so my files are not all in one place, but haven't figured that out yet.
eric76
AG
In my case, I have my primary backup storage at the office and store copies of the backups on the cloud.

On my workstation, my home user data is stored on another drive and I make a backup of that user data to a third drive and to a USB drive. That is done twice a day -- at 8 am and 8 pm. Also, as part of that backup, the configuration files and other primary data from all my servers are copied to the user data drive using rsync.

Then I periodically copy the third drive backup to storage on my ProtonMail account where I have approximately 6.5 terabytes available. I have a Visionary account which they no longer offer. They do offer a Family Account that is kind of the same thing but with somewhat less storage.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Will this affect usernames on this site? Asking for a friend
nukeaggie2000
AG
***k
khkman22
AG
I don't have a Gmail account. My YouTube tv setup is through my AggieNetwork email. Can I just create a new Gmail account and switch that with with my current YouTube tv account, or will I have to create a separate YouTube tv account under the new Gmail account?
AggieVictor10
AG
RockwallAg said:

The Association needs to provide us with a solution.

They will provide you with half.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.

RFK/brain worm 2024

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.