Aggienetwork Email Changes

31,996 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by fav13andac1)c
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use a combination of dynamic dns port forwarding and internal port forwarding on my router.

If 80 is closed. Send traffic to url:80 to ip:80808 then send everything from wan:80808 to device:80
tamc93
AG
Following due to the frustration this will cause and will need to start looking for long term options.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
Stymied said:

Quote:

What are @AggieNetwork.com email accounts?
We started the @AggieNetwork.com email program many years ago as a way to provide former students with an official, Aggie-branded email address. The program offers up to five @AggieNetwork.com email addresses "for life" and for free. That is the purpose of the program, and what we are doing our utmost to keep. After the program became powered by Gmail, Google added features like Google Drive and Docs to these accounts (formerly "G Suite for Education" accounts, now called Google Workspace for Education).

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/156752/upcoming-google-storage-policy-changes/
"An Aggie does not lie*, cheat or steal or tolerate those who do."

*Unless it is about lifetime Aggie-branded email addresses.

Pathetic.

I don't know if there is a legal remedy here, but I am going to do my due diligence in finding out.

Diggity
AG
good luck with that champ
lb3
AG
Whooooooooooooooop said:

Stymied said:

Quote:

We started the @AggieNetwork.com email program many years ago as a way to provide former students with an official, Aggie-branded email address. The program offers up to five @AggieNetwork.com email addresses "for life" and for free. That is the purpose of the program, and what we are doing our utmost to keep. After the program became powered by Gmail, Google added features like Google Drive and Docs to these accounts (formerly "G Suite for Education" accounts, now called Google Workspace for Education).

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/156752/upcoming-google-storage-policy-changes/

Pathetic.

I don't know if there is a legal remedy here, but I am going to do my due diligence in finding out.

Life happens, things change, we move on. I don't get the anger over a free service. They don't owe you anything.

I just checked, Whooooooooooooooop.com is available. Go buy it and you can have your Aggie branded email as long as you wish.
aTm2004
AG
The going away is not an issue to me, but to not have any kind of email availability for alumni is my biggest issue.
TexasRebel
AG
I think at some point they looked at the latest enrollment figures and realized Aggienetwork would eclipse Gmail.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
lb3 said:

Whooooooooooooooop said:

Stymied said:

Quote:

Pathetic.

Life happens, things change, we move on. I don't get the anger over a free service. They don't owe you anything.

I just checked, Whooooooooooooooop.com is available. Go buy it and you can have your Aggie branded email as long as you wish.

It is not the aggie branded email I am concerned about. I couldn't care less about that. It is the fact that the email address that they presented as free for life has been used for countless services and contacts over the last 7+ years and now it is going to disappear in 3 months.

Had they never presented it as free for life, I would have no qualms. However, explicit promises were made ("free for life") and I (and others) relied on those promises to our detriment. Whether it was free or not has nothing to do with the promises and representations that were made.

lb3
AG
Whooooooooooooooop said:

lb3 said:

Whooooooooooooooop said:

Stymied said:

Quote:

Pathetic.

It is not the aggie branded email I am concerned about. I couldn't care less about that. It is the fact that the email address that they presented as free for life has been used for countless services and contacts over the last 7+ years and now it is going to disappear in 3 months.

Had they never presented it as free for life, I would have no qualms. However, explicit promises were made ("free for life") and I (and others) relied on those promises to our detriment. Whether it was free or not has nothing to do with the promises and representations that were made.

In your lifetime have they ever charged you for it? I think they have fulfilled their obligation.
htxag09
AG
Being free does have a lot to do with your legal threats, though…

Also, why does the Aggie network put "for life" in quotes? Honest question, I have an email but never used it so never paid attention.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
"But you can port the entire contents of your TAMU.edu email over to a free, lifetime AggieNetwork.com account!

This is a free benefit to all Aggies, thanks to Association donors."

I don't know why it does in that text, but in other text it does not.

Even in the absence of payment or a formal contract, there can be legal obligations based on a promise or representation.

In this case, it would not be hard demonstrate that I relied on A&M's representation of providing a free, lifetime email address to my detriment since it was used as a primary email for significant communications and account registrations based on their promises.
TexasRebel
AG
It's the one I used for stuff that doesn't spam.
The Dog Lord
AG
As much as AOL gets **** on, my original email from 1999 is still going strong for free….
nai06
AG

Quote:

I'm assuming they mean for the life of the program, that's why it's in quotations. The program meaning free email addresses.

Now that the program has ended it's life, the email address are going away.

Boom lawyered!

j/k this actually sucks. I really miss the unlimited storage as well.
atmtws
AG
Brandon should start an email service. I'd be down for atmtws@texags.com. I'd pay an extra $12 a month for it.
eric76
AG
atmtws said:

Brandon should start an email service. I'd be down for atmtws@texags.com. I'd pay an extra $12 a month for it.
That's not a bad idea. He could farm out the actual handling to one of the many outside providers.

That's cutting it close on Proton Mail which asks for about $10 per month for a business type account. I think that Mailfence is about $4 a month but has more limited offerings. There is also Greatmail.com which is more like $1 or $2 a month per user.
RockwallAg
AG
I'd be in for $15-20 per month, 5 email addresses and 5gb of mail storage
atmtws
AG
And then he can donate part of the profit to NIL. Let's turn this chaos into an opportunity to field more five stars!
tamc93
AG
Angry Man yelling at clouds as I start to go through this change today.

Oddly enough they still want you to log into their website using your aggie email account.

I kept hoping that they would offer a solution.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
blgros
I get there are changes.

But couldn't they provide instructions to transfer the emails? I have a secondary gmail account I can use, but looking for the POP settings to transfer the data.

Bryan '89
eric76
AG
Not with pop3 which just downloads your messages to the e-mail cilent.

However, it is easy to do with imap.

Just set them each up to use imap on an e-mail client, and copy from one account to the other.

You used to have to go into the settings to enable each to use pop/imap first and I assume that is still the case.
AgDev01
AG
If you have a new gmail address you should be able to go into settings -> Accounts and Imports - and click on import mail and contacts and then log into the aggie network account to pull everything from that.
blgros
That's what I'm trying to do, but it isn't connecting. GMail says it uses POP for sending and IMAP for retrieving mail. But the import only has POP settings.

I'm using pop.gmail.com and port 995

It might have to do with 2-factor authentication
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
Create an app specific password
GAP76
AG
I wish TAMU would have provided more detailed instructions to transfer emails to a new account… of course google could have done the same… regardless, i will figure it out one way or the other
GAP76
AG
Do not wait until the last minute to transfer emails and contacts from @aggientwork.com account. The transfer process may take up to a week to complete.
aggie_wes
AG
Whoever figures out how to do the transfer, please post the process here. I can move to either Gmail or Outlook.
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
To Gmail, make sure to create an app specific password for your Aggienetwork account.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop
blgros
What do you mean by app-specific password?

Second these instructions are great. But the error I get is that GMail can't identify your pop server. But I'm using pop.gmail.com. Port 110, per the link. SSL checked.

Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
If you have 2FA it won't work with your regular password. You have to go into your Google account settings for your Aggienetwork account in create an app specific password under the security setting that you will input in the import tool.
blgros
OK, I turned on "Less Secure App Access" in the account settings.

I finally got the import tool (from my new gmail account) to connect! (port 995, SSL on)

Then I get "This account cannot be imported right now. Please try again later."

Arrgh.

TAMUallen
AG
Do they know that they will never get another dime for this **** up?

If I can't trust you for your self declared offers then you're not to be trusted and I certainly can't trust you with my money for my school
TexasRebel
AG
Every day I find a new acct to switch over.

Today I got a medical bill from half a year ago.

Are they going to reimburse late fees for payments that don't get paid because of this Charlie Foxtrot?
atmtws
AG
One tip I have is to open your password vault and start going down the lists changing your emails to your new one. I spent probably 6 hours already doing this and not even halfway done. This is such a royal eff up.
GAP76
AG
Great tip to use password vault.
I finally figured out how to transfer emails to another gmail account. For me, I went to "manage aggienetwork gmail account". There is an option to "transfer" emails and contacts to a new gmail or other email account.
That worked for me but it took several days for the transfer to complete.
I still have to go through the painstaking step to change me email address in all of my accounts tied to the aggienetwork email.
At this point, I want to be done with aggienetwork email.
Good luck and have patience to all who still have to migrate away from aggienetwork email.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.