Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN NEWS -- UPDATE

25,867 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Cypress-TX-Aggie
jlplawrence
How long do you want to ignore this user?
here's the link....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3095710
Mozart Paintings
AG
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3095710
jlplawrence
CBS reporting it's a done deal....

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10453939
Bismarck
AG
quote:
Toni Reauxmeaux, give up, this is the real deal. Turn on the damn tv

Hmm, TR one. ESPN and Yankee 0. Real deal indeed.
Cypress-TX-Aggie
TR -- Yankee was right earlier today when he backed up the fact that this story was reported on ESPN.

And about ESPN's credibility -- they are right too. There is no way they make this report if its not true. With its implications for the school, future hires, recruits, etc., they would face too much of a backlash if they made a report like this in error.
Token
AG
Thanks cypress.... i went to langham creek high school by the way.

quote:
Franchione is expected to announce he is stepping down during the bye week after the Missouri game, but that could be moved up because of the distraction the speculation could bring during preparation for the Tigers.

quote:
Texas A&M and head football coach Dennis Franchione are close to an agreement that would end his tenure as head coach at the end of the season, a person familiar with the situation confirmed Monday.

Under the agreement, Franchione would receive a $1.9 million buyout as opposed to the $8.5 million his deal calls for after the school hired a private firm to investigate his VIP Connection email newsletter and found three breaches of contract. The value of the buyout has been met with resistance from Franchione.

/powned

"An A-Bomb, From A-Rod"
The Collective
AG
I'd say it's true being from ESPN. They are usually the last source to the dance, b/c they avoid rumors.
TooCold
S
COLLEGE FOOTBALL LIVE ON ESPN 2 AT 6:30 PM EST, WILL HAVE AN UPDATE ON THE STORY...APPARENTLY. JUST HEARD THAT FROM A FRIEND WHO WORKS THERE. HE WOULDN'T TELL ME ANYTHING ELSE THOUGH, WHICH WAS WEIRD. ANYWAY, I AM NOT SAYING THAT I HAVE SOME DOUBLE SUPER SECRET INSIDE SOURCE OR ANYTHING, JUST PASSING ALONG SOME INFORMATION. I, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE WHAT THEY REPORT. GIG 'EM
TooCold
S
Well, nothing new from that report, but it is out there, in the open from a national press perspective. For those of you who did not see it, Andre Ware reported on ESPN 2:

-It's a done deal, Fran is out at the end of the season.

-Contract buyout is $2 million

-Recruiter has been hired to scout new coaching options.

-Tubberville is the leading candidate

-Negotiations have been on-going for last ten days

Again, according to Andre Ware, this is a done deal. Now that it is out there, I think Mr. Byrne will HAVE to respond on this one way or the other. I am sure he wanted to keep it quiet, but you can't always get what you want and I think the most prudent thing to do is either confirm or deny PUBLICLY before it gets out of hand.
Reagan80
Whoop for being the 2nd post on the most popular thread of the day (and the first to break the news).

aggiecadet02
AG
Whoop for real talk of Fran leaving
Reagan80

[This message has been edited by Reagan80 (edited 11/5/2007 8:29p).]
munch96
AG
Reagan

you forgot to thank Jesus....
Cypress-TX-Aggie
After having my first post of 20 thousand views, I offer the followingthank yous...

1. Thank you to my company for allowing me to set my own hours. Thisallowed me to be away from the office and in front of the TV when thefirst announcement hit.

2. Thank you to my gf for having a strong internet connection thatallowed me to post while I was at her house.

3. Thank you satellite TV for being there. You arent always reliable,but today at 11:30a you were there when I needed you.

4. Thank you fellow posters for validating the story for the first 2hours or so when no link was available. Big shot out to Yankee and others.

5. Thank you Texags staff for not pulling the plug on the thread inthose early minutes when people said it was a fake

6. Thank you Fran for having a failing season (or 5) that set thischain of events into motion

7. Thank you Toshiba

8. Thank you elementary school for teaching me to read and write...atleast enough to get by

9. And last but not least, thank you football gods for shining on uson this 5th day of November in the 2007th year
texgurl5
the A&M Athletic Department is Denying this storying and all the others that have been out like it today...sorry to ruin the celebration
Cowtown Red
But Cypress said it was official.

Once it's on ESPN News, it's official.
texgurl5
we all KNOW it's going to happen but A&M won't officially announce it until t+2...let's wait and see...
FlyingAg
AG
Cypress-TX Aggie Where did you hear those facts?

"1. Fran out at the end of the year"
ESPN Website: "Texas A&M is talking about buying out Franchione's contract, sources have told ESPN college football analyst Andre Ware....Ware reported Monday that Texas A&M is looking for a buyout in the $2 million range."

3. Official recruiter has been hired by A&M - (said name and I dont remember)
ESPN Website: "He reported that the school is working with Chuck Neinas, who runs a consulting firm specializing in hiring coaches."
go that one right, sorta.

4. A&M "officially" targeting Tuberville
(I dont think so)
ESPN Website: "Ware reported that Texas A&M wants to talk to Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville for a potential vacancy."

2. Negotiations have been happening for last 10 days
Nada, nothing mentioned.

You can read anything on the internet

EllisCoAg
AG
oh please be make this real
Cypress-TX-Aggie
Flying -- everything I said was reported 3 times today on ESPN

- First, around 11:30a, ESPN News was interrupted with a "Live breaking news" segment that lasted for 2-3 minutes. The in studio reporter was on the phone with Andre Ware. They said everything I wrote on this thread.

- Second, during the 2-ish episode of College Fooball Live on ESPN2, they reported the exact same thing

- Third, during the 5-ish College Football Live replay, they reran the story

My thread was not about the article, it was about a 'Breaking News' segment I happened to catch on ESPN News. I did not exaggerate or inflate what they said. This is why staff didnt pull the thread when I originally posted it, even though there was no link or published story until several hours later. It was on live tv. If you missed it, then this thread and other's posts may be your best way to catch it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.