Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Major takes RB coach position

7,616 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by yakman
Theo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
even the trojan condoms out in southern cal are just not scary to me at this point.

Sherman is that good, you think?
LestatBQ02
quote:
Seriously, you can't get to the NFL as a RB from the 40 acres. It just doesn't happen.

reading comprehension, whorn...

Do you think Major will be able to turn out top-notch RBs? Are you basing this on all his experience as a running back?

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?
ssolari94
AG
Good move by Major.. He is going to be a great asset for tu and has positioned himself well to take over at tu in the future. What you guys fail to realize he is going to be the horns OC real soon. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. (if you call a coaching position at tu a step back) I sure as hell don't.

[This message has been edited by ssolari94 (edited 1/16/2008 5:58a).]
Skull Session
Major a running backs coach? That makes about as much sense as Sloke putting Kubiak in as running backs coach, then handing the offensive coordinators job to of all people, Steve Ensminger.

Hey but that is good for A&M.
navy57
S
RVHorn sez:

quote:
I couldn't agree more. I believe that coach was Gene Chizik and we won the National Championship. Thanks for your good wishes!

That coach was Gene Chizik, but his Longhorn defense got torched both at Kyle and in the Rose Bowl. It wasn't Coach Chizik who won the 2005 MNC for tu. It was Vince Young. Next year the Aggies rolled over his then #1 rushing defense again.

As far as Major Applewhits's going to tu, I think it's a good move for him and the Horns. As the putative OC for Bama his highwater mark was against Tennessee. After that things got bad for Bama, and by the time they got to Auburn he was a fixture upstairs. Joe Pendry, whose "offenses" with the Texans padded NFL defensive stats, was the de facto OC.

Aside from that, $aban's a jerk that's not just my take on it. Almost everybody in the coaching profession who's been around him will tell you the same thing. It's all about $aban, If things go wrong, it's always someone else's fault.

Gig 'Em, Aggies !!
Houstonag
AG
MA plans to take the HC position after we beat the sips again for three in a row. The sip alumni will pass the hat, buy out Mac, and send him a retirement cruise.
FtWorthAg
AG
"RB" Coach???? Guess he did not feel the love from Satan....
hammer11
You can put me down as one that repeately said the Aggies would be stupid to hire Applewhite.

Most of these internet geek types do not know that many assistant coaches but his name is one they know.
ssrtex97
When Texas added Major to the staff as a grad assistant he worked for two years with the offensive line. He has since worked closely with QBs and WRs. He is now going to coach RBs and will have had his hands on every position on offense. I'd say it is very likely that Major takes over for Greg Davis in the near future.
72jag
AG
Wife wanted to come back to Texas. It's a Fran thing.
PGFDag07
It's just a stepping stone for when Greg Davis retires or gets fired and he will then be the next head coach when Mack leaves.
ssrtex97
Those of you that continue to perpetuate the myth that there is bad blood between Mack and Major, remember that no one has done more for the advancement of Major's coaching career than Mack Brown. He hired him immediately as a grad assistant and was instrumental in getting him his first coaching gig. Major hadn't even completed his eligibility when Brown was trumpeting him as his replacement as HC at Texas.
ABATTBQ87
AG
I was in Austin last night and ran into Major and had the opportunity to visit with him for a few minutes. We talked about college football, playoffs, coaching opportunitites, etc.

He told me that he was going to interview Wednesday in College Station for the QB coach position, and that he was going to take the better opportunity. He really likes Sherman and the opportunity to coach with someone who has been successful in the NFL.

[This message has been edited by ABATTBQ87 (edited 1/16/2008 8:52a).]
LB12Diamond
AG
FYI horns, its not just Ags that think Major got hosed. I know many horns that think the same.

Of course Major does not seem like a guy to keep a grudge so we are where we are.

[This message has been edited by Jebber (edited 1/16/2008 8:53a).]
ssrtex97
Hey, I doubt Major was real pleased riding pine behind Chris Simms. Only a fool would claim otherwise. But the facts are these: 1) Major lost his job due to injury, 2) Chris Simms performce post Major's injury justified him continuing to start, 3) Major ultimately finished his career at Texas as the starter.

The main point here is that there is no grudge.
HuntinHorn
I think Major coming back to Texas should put to rest all the talk about how he was screwed at Texas and he hates Mack Brown. Major saw the ability of Chris Simms in practice and was smart enough to know that Chris had more skills than Major. Major has nothing but love for the University of Texas, Mack Brown, and the longhorn football team. Major has called Greg Davis and Mack Brown every week asking questions and has talked to them with every step he has made in his coaching career. Major has no ill feelings towards Texas and this hire should shut out all of those rumors.
HuntinHorn
ssrtex97,

Richard Walton lost his job to Major because of an injury. He was behind James Brown for 4 years and finally got to start as a RS Senior. He broke his finger at the UCLA game and Major came in. When Richard came back a few weeks later, he had to sit on the bench while Major played. Major's knee injury made him even slower in the pocket and Chris was the right choice.

I take the Major/Simms debate to heart as I was the manager for Greg Davis during those years. I was never more than 10 feet away from every drill, every snap during practice. I was on the headphones during the game behind Mack Brown. There is no doubt in my mind that Simms was the right move to play instead of Major.
PJYoung
AG
quote:
Got to love the Aggie Spin on this. A month ago Texags.com was drooling over Major to come coach at ATM.

It would've been a good thing for A&M to get a OC former QB to be our QB's coach. It's kinda weird for that same QB to now be a RB coach. It's really not hard to understand.
MacD
quote:
I take the Major/Simms debate to heart as I was the manager for Greg Davis during those years. I was never more than 10 feet away from every drill, every snap during practice. I was on the headphones during the game behind Mack Brown. There is no doubt in my mind that Simms was the right move to play instead of Major.

I know that some Horns feel as if Major got screwed, but it's always been a ridiculous notion. There are a lot of qb battles around the country. It was odd to me that so many folks felt that Major got screwed, as opposed to simply being beaten by the better quarterback at the time.
KaiChen
Mcgee is currently the incumbent QB. Many here have called for his benching in favor of JJ. If Sherman was to start JJ over McGee next season because he feels that it would improve the team's chances, can we say several years down the road that McGee was screwed over.
AggieKig
WOw, this post has evolved fast.....I talk with people I work with in Birmingham on a regular basis. THey said Saban wanted to fire Major after the Miss State game. The SEC is freakin' brutle
KaiChen
Bama insiders on Rivals are saying that Major was never really allowed to run the offense he wanted and that Pendry was responsible for designing the overall game plans. Major doesn't want another year like last year on his resume considering he's not to blame for it.
UTGrad02
Looks like I now know who HuntinHorn is on these boards.

It you would have polled players/coaches/staff - ie those at practice EVERY SINGLE DAY - I would say over 90% would have been in favor of Chris starting over Major. HuntinHorn and I included.

I could go on for hours on this debate but those are the facts.

Dixichkn's post was about as far from the truth as anything I've ever read on here which is saying a lot.

That being said - I'm damn glad Major is coming back to coach.

For those questioning why RB's - do you really think you need experience as a RB to coach it? It's one of if not the easiest position to 'coach' and a lot of OC's have coached every position of the offense at some point in their career.

[This message has been edited by UTGrad02 (edited 1/16/2008 12:24p).]
SABUILDERAG
Nicely played RV. I would have loved for us to bring in Major, but it didn't work, so hopefully he will succeed at Texas (just not on T+0). Major is one of the only Texas players I have liked and I hope that he continues his rise in the coaching ranks.
RVHorn
navy57,
Get a sense of humor or irony. Literally my post is correct, it's not tedious review of defensive performance.

I do hope the same thing happens as the last time an Alabama coach came to Texas: MNC. I don't care if we win the game 78-77 or 35-0. I'd take it and so would you.

Otherwise, FWIW, good post.
Dad
AG
If someone is smart enough and a good teacher, I think they can easily coach a position that they never played.

A great coach can coach any position.
TulaneAg
Why so many sips over here today? Do they really care what we think of The Major as a RB coach in Austin? And that so many of them have been 'on the sidelines' makes it even more pathetic that they care what we think. GO HOME!!!

I've honestly never had any desire to visit a whornfans site and would hope that you would kindly return the favor.
AlexNguyen
quote:

Why so many sips over here today? Do they really care what we think of The Major as a RB coach in Austin? And that so many of them have been 'on the sidelines' makes it even more pathetic that they care what we think. GO HOME!!!

I've honestly never had any desire to visit a whornfans site and would hope that you would kindly return the favor.

Umm, the first fifteen replies on this thread were Aggies, so clearly Ags care about it. You don't want loads of Texas fans over here, stop talking about UT. It really is that simple.
Longhorn Foozball
he isn't jsut going to be a RBs coach is the rumor.

Applewhite was a co-OC at Bama with Joe Pendry, and apparantly, had no creative freedom or much say in the offense, and didn't appreciate Saban's ridiculous attitude towards his subordinates and the general direciton of the program. a $50,000 buyout is requested by Bama, so they aren't just turning him loose. He will likely step into a co-OC position with the Horns, and the RBs coach in name only. he was a graduate assistant as a QBs coach initially before he left for Syracuse, so I doubt they will not allow him to do that again
yakman
quote:
He will likely step into a co-OC position with the Horns, and the RBs coach in name only. he was a graduate assistant as a QBs coach initially before he left for Syracuse, so I doubt they will not allow him to do that again

His GA position with Texas was with the o-line. At Syracuse he was the QB coach. At Rice the OC and QB coach. Pendry was calling the OC shots at Bama.
Objective Texasguy
You guys are funny. Since you know so much about Texas Football and clearly are neutral observers of it, you know for a fact that Major was "screwed" by MAck Brown as a player.

Your evidence?

Well, Chris Simms struggled vs. OU and in the Big XII title game in 2001.

Clearly, you must know something we don't.

Oh yeah, Major so hated his experience that he was willing to come work for the man that screwed him.
Longhorn Foozball
quote:
His GA position with Texas was with the o-line. At Syracuse he was the QB coach. At Rice the OC and QB coach. Pendry was calling the OC shots at Bama.

Describing his accepting of the job from orangebloods;

"Before his stint at Rice, Applewhite was the quarterbacks coach at Syracuse University in 2005 and in 2003-04, he was a graduate assistant at Texas, where he was influential in the development of all-America quarterback Vince Young."

I didn't mean he was the QBs coach by title, I meant he worked with and coached the QBs and I expect him to do the same now.

[This message has been edited by Longhorn Foozball (edited 1/16/2008 3:25p).]
newton
You do know that they hired a guy that we wanted as our HC as their DC, and the guy we wanted as our OC as their RB coach, right?
Kind of shows where we are in the pecking order, I would say.
Objective Texasguy
Self realization like that will get you banned sir.
Dad
AG
I think Major was the better QB at the time, but he didn't completely get screwed over.

Simms had a much higher ceiling at QB so Mack went with potential over a guy that was producing but didn't have as much potential.

If I remember correctly the NFL agreed with Mack on the whole issue of Simms having more potential.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.