Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Major takes RB coach position

7,621 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by yakman
Longhorn Foozball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Simms had a much higher ceiling at QB so Mack went with potential over a guy that was producing but didn't have as much potential.

I get where you are going with that; however, one of the main reasons it was such a big deal when his job got yanked was Major had set a number of records, and was just a year removed from his record setting freshman season. It was widely gossiped that he lsot his job to appease Phil Simms and make high talent OOS recruits look our way more often. So I think the ceiling was quite high for Major as well.

Major handled the whole issue with class. Simms won us a ton of games, 10 or more every year he was there, and we really crushed some good teams, but his huge mistakes, namely anytime he played OU and that Big 12 Title game are what stick out to people most.

EDIT: Someune halp meh spell!

[This message has been edited by Longhorn Foozball (edited 1/16/2008 4:28p).]
Objective Texasguy
Guys, please don't let facts get into a Texags discussion on Texas football.
MacD
quote:
It was widely gossiped that he lsot his job to appease Phil Simms and make high talent OOS recruits look our way more often.

That was always nothing more than BS gossip. Total BS. There was so much going on in practice and behind the scenes, and based on that, it would have been almost impossible to not start Simms. Just as Applewhite was classy about it, so was Mack. He had to bite his tongue. Simms was classy as well, considering how he was treated by the Major loyalists.
ssrtex97
Major didn't get his job "yanked" from him. Mack's hand was sort of forced by the fact that Major sprained his knee in Lubbock in November of 2000. Chris started and played very well the rest of that season (lit up A&M in Austin and played well in defeat against Oregon) and then WON the job in the offseason.

Nothing was taken unfairly from Major.
BBQ
AG
objective, I am sure the horn boards have the market cornered on "facts"?
AG
I am glad he went "home." I never wanted himn on our staff and am damn glad he is not! I have enough with tsip OCs thank you very much.
SA Ag

[This message has been edited by SA Ag (edited 1/16/2008 6:03p).]
PerfectAg
Applesauce is a sip! who could possibly want him for asnything but a bj?

If you refer to the forty acres as anything other than tu or 'sips, you are not an AGGIE!
joemeister
AG
I don't really understand this. I realize that there are limits on the number of assistant coaches a team can have. But tu just moved a very good RB coach in Ken Rucker to the AD office to be director of recruiting or something like that...then brought in an OC & former QB (not a running QB either) to be RB coach. Rucker brought the best out in guys like J. Charles, unless Mac3 is doing some side stepping of the coach # limits I really don't understand the move.
Hornblood
Solari's the Aggie making the most sense on this thread, so go read his post again if you're trying to understand it. Otherwise, I am going to take a page from your book on this one: you're not a Longhorn, it's not your staff and we're not asking you to understand it.

I mean, what's not to understand about being actively recruited to coach at your alma mater where you were a hero while you played, for coaches you respect and in a very apparent (to anyone without maroon blinders on) step towards being groomed for something else, something bigger at UT.

Agreed on the other point as well: will this shut some of you ags up now on whether Mack and Major like each other? Concentrate on whether your own players like your own coaches, and we'll worry about ours.
Chris Farley
AG
mack hiring major has nothing to do on whether mack likes major or not. if major can get the job done then thats all mack cares about.. they aren't in this business to be friends.. (i hope)
Hornblood
ft@a: there have been many times in the past years that I wish that were true with MB. His allegiance to certain coaches that he is best buds with is legend, which has in the past led to stagnancy in the staff, sorta like a tenured professor seemingly mailing it in. That's why his talk after the latest loss to the Aggies was somewhat encouraging, and it appears that his off-season staff moves are bearing it out. We'll see.
dreyOO
joe friggin pendry?

that guy sucks. he sucked with the texans and i will not be surprised to see him sucking it up at bama
Big Easy
they named him assistant head coach. that's pretty heady stuff for such a young guy, even if the title is just a nicety. what additional responsibilities does an AHC have, anyways?
ssrtex97
The title of assistant head coach was added so that they could get his salary to where it was at Bama. Duane Akina is also an assistant head coach and Mac McWhorter is an associate head coach.
Objective Texasguy
quote:
objective, I am sure the horn boards have the market cornered on "facts"?

Of course not. They're worse then here

I can't control them. I only control myself. Your board is run 1000 times better than the main free site for Texas fans.

I enjoy banter with y'all; it is your site and of course everyone is free to post whatever they want. My post simply was a jab at some who like to perpetuate wild-a$$, negative opinions based on obviously hatred of Texas.
Royal Flush
quote:
Applesauce is a sip! who could possibly want him for asnything but a bj?

Let me get this straight.

You enjoy getting bj's from men.

yakman
quote:
Rucker brought the best out in guys like J. Charles, unless Mac3 is doing some side stepping of the coach # limits I really don't understand the move.

Rucker is recovering from cancer surgery and asked for something less demanding. From seeing my family members deal with cancer after the surgery and radiation there is still 5 years of chemo after that. Chemo is weekly at first, then tapers down, and leaves you pretty messed up for 2-3 days after each treatment.

[This message has been edited by yakman (edited 1/17/2008 10:37a).]
grace
AG
I always liked him as a QB, even if he was a sip.
yakman
Sips didn't really just name MA Asst. HC did they?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.