Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dead weight team - Ouch!

7,395 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by lwrother
FtBendTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No I reserve the emails for Gregg Doyel of sportsline.com, and I only cuss when I have the flu.
Face
AG
Tourettes is now a swine flu side effect? Great Scott!
Bob Kelso
AG
Well...

I don't care who you are, if you talk bad about my school, you can go **** yourself.

Gig 'Em!
j_nocal
quote:
think it's more a case of this:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He forgot Baylor even existed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Than this:

quote:
He has never taken Texas A&M seriously. He basically called us all delusional a couple of years (maybe last year) ago, thinking we should be able to compete in the Big 12.

Who's delusional about A&M being competitive in the Big 12? They're not even competitive in the the Big 12 South. Their divisional record is 18-27 this decade, with 13 of those 18 wins coming against Baylor and OSU.

As I remember the comment, Mandel was labeling delusional the opinion the Aggies should be competitive in the Big 12 South. I don't think this is a pipe-dream at all. Look at the facilities, the culture and the fanbase.

There is no excuse for Texas A&M not to be a force in the Big 12 South. To believe otherwise is just as silly to think we were going to field an 8-4 team this year. 6-6 is best-case scenario, but does that make Texas A&M "dead-weight"? I don't think so. Following most of the media's logic, I am guessing the Aggies will be everyone's team to pimp next year.

[This message has been edited by j_nocal (edited 10/14/2009 2:55p).]
stanhin
quote:
Well...I don't care who you are, if you talk bad about my school, you can go **** yourself.

Exactly--there are more than enough Aggies who are doing an excellent job of that; any foreigners piling on is just plain superfluous.
AnotherLawyer
quote:
As I remember the comment, Mandel was labeling delusional the opinion the Aggies should be competitive in the Big 12 South.

As I recall it, he was labeling Aggie fans delusional for wondering whether Steve Spurrier was good enough for A&M to consider as head football coach. Not the same thing as competing in the Big 12 South.
Dave Robicheaux
AG
Calling A&M and Colorado "dead weight" is..respectively..laughable.
Aggie0529
will they still be saying that after we go 9-3?
Maegnas Is My Name
colorado has 4 north championships in 5 years and yet they are dead weight? wtf?
Jeff George
^ Have you watched any Colorado games in the Dan Hawkins era?

Did you see how well they performed in their last two Big 12 Championships?
Jim Hogg is angry
AG

It’s hard to take sport's advice from a fellow that's never played a down of organized ball. He lost credibility in my book when he stated A&M was playing "Monopoly" by thinking they could bring in Steve Spurrier.

[This message has been edited by TampaBayAg (edited 10/15/2009 11:45a).]
Jeff George
^ I'm sorry, but did A&M manage to hire Steve Spurrier? Or did A&M make two questionable coaching hires in a row?

A&M is not a top destination for college coaches. Know how I know? Because Mike Sherman is the coach, not Urban Meyer, not Steve Spurrier, not Tommy Tuberville, not Pete Carroll, not Nick Saban. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Jeff George,

There are many reasons why Spurrier may not want to come to Aggieland and that’s a moot point (A&M didn't pursue him or anyone really other than Sherman). The monopoly reference suggested that A&M didn't have the pockets to attract a big name coach. Can you name more than a half dozen schools that would win a bidding war against A&M???
Jeff George
Clearly A&M does have deep enough pockets, because they're paying two coaches at once.
AnotherLawyer
No, the "Monopoly" reference suggested that A&M didn't have the cash for Spurrier, who is back in the SEC, gets to play golf at PGA-Tour-quality courses whenever he feels the urge, and only has to get to a bowl game with the occasional overachieving season to keep his fanbase happy.

It wasn't implying that A&M couldn't pay any other high-profile coach. Spurrier was only moving for certain schools (actually, probably only a certain school) and A&M wasn't one of them.

What was ridiculous was to imply whether a coach who'd taken his perennial doormat of an alma mater to its first official conference championship, 4 consecutive conference championships, 2 national championship games, and a national championship, was good enough to be considered by a university whose program needed some serious rebuilding.
crazytexasaggie99
Why A&M and not Baylor? We Won the Big 12 South twice and 3 other teams in the south have never .... stupid media
Jeff George
^ While I think he might have simply neglected to include Baylor in the bunch, we have to keep in mind that A&M has not exactly done much since beating Texas in 2007 to demonstrate that they're not dead weight in the Big 12.

The media sees "disappointment" as a bigger sin that just outright sucking. When A&M stops disappointing, they'll get all the praise the media can throw at them.
LB12Diamond
AG
Guys; I am not sure what his tie is to the sips but he has gone out of his way in the past to make them look good and their competition look bad. Him labeling us and CU as dead weight is propbably him trying to help hold down any recruiting momentum etc. No reason to lump Baylor in their because he is not really worried about them ever getting good enough to hurt the sips. There is a big difference between down and dead weight. Dead weight is program that has always been down and will be a very hard for them to ever get up. We are not this but again, since when did a journalist have to state facts.
Jeff George
Please tell me you left the /sarcasm tag off your post, Jebber.

Please.

Mandel is from Ohio and went to Northwestern. He has no affiliation to Texas whatsoever. Perhaps you have him confused with Kirk Bohls or people who have a vested interest in Texas succeeding.
pvsherwood03

what a f-ing dork

he is probably into gay anime

who cares what this guy says?

[This message has been edited by pvsherwood03 (edited 10/15/2009 1:59p).]
weatherford
WHY Do so many people hate us. They are all against us.

Do you guys get tired of this attitude?

Someone writing negative stuff on us does not equal trying to keep us down or having an agenda.

Look at our record. Its call realism.
Jack Squat 83
AG
Dear Coach Sherman-
Please have your team kick everyone's a$$ so we can make this kind of stuff go away.

We would really like to get a little respect.

Thanks very much-
Aggies Everywhere
AggieArchitect04
AG
There's a difference between having a bad program and having a few bad seasons...

Perspective. And context.

Since it's inception, only half the teams from the Big 12 have won the conference crown.

And 3 of those 6 are on Mandrel's list.

The other 3 are Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas. Lately, Texas & OU are perennial contenders for not only the Big 12 championship, but also the national championship.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Oh, and I actually don't mind being called "dead weight". It'd be silly to think, at this point, that we wouldn't be the underdog against most every team we face in the Big 12 south.

I don't know how any of you guys can take a crass remark from a guy who sports a knit sweater everywhere he goes seriously.

Stew needs some queer eye for the straight guy in a bad way.

[This message has been edited by AggieArchitect04 (edited 10/16/2009 2:04a).]
AlexNguyen
quote:

I don't know how any of you guys can take a crass remark from a guy who sports a knit sweater everywhere he goes seriously.

Stew needs some queer eye for the straight guy in a bad way.

The metrosexual is strong in this one.
Gradin
AG
He is trolling.
MouthBQ98
AG
FWIW, we DID just make a good showing against 15th ranked Big12 team, and a couple of plays difference we could have won that game.

We're FAR closer than we were last year, by that gauge.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
I'm sorry, but did A&M manage to hire Steve Spurrier? Or did A&M make two questionable coaching hires in a row?
There was nothing questionable about the Fran hire at the time. It didn't play out the way people (Ags, Horns, and many others) anticipated, but it was far from "questionable".
ssolari94
PsychoAg98
AG
That guy misspelled Baylor.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Three of his "dead weight" teams have won a Big 12 Championship.
ssrtex97
A&M is struggling in football, and quite honestly that hurts the Big XII a lot, but to call the Aggies "dead weight" is a vast overstatement. Its just not the truth.
Jeff George
quote:
There was nothing questionable about the Fran hire at the time.
Alabama's probation-shackled team might disagree. But, yes, from this side of the Mississippi, Fran's hire didn't initially look questionable.

I think it's telling that people are trying to refute Mandel's dead-weight jab by saying that three of the four teams have won Big 12 championships. Those championships occurred in 2003, 2001, and 1998. That is a LONG time ago in the world of college football.

Getting branded as "dead weight" is harsh, but the Aggies haven't won a Big 12 South game since November 2007. Let's be realistic. Unless you want the media to continually overrate you based on past glory, like USC, Florida State, and Notre Dame...

[This message has been edited by Jeff George (edited 10/16/2009 10:48a).]
terata
AG
quote:
Maybe it's just referring to this year... If not, WOW

Mandell is a complete (Old English: compleat) dewishbag. He's referring to RC's lack of bowl victories, franchione's complete (compleat)abortion as a FB program and recent performances. Unfortunately, many sports analysts see A&M as an also ran.
Protrident
AG
how bout we just stop losing?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.