Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I was dead wrong - we did get invited to the SEC

5,943 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Scorebook
HS Hog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SOLO FIRM OFFER

MW_111
Yea, the idiot patrol is out.
MD1993
AG
Sounds to me that OU is now trying to make things look better for them. They have been hearing about how they are a tool in the Texas toolbox, and this makes them look like they saved the BIGXII-2.

Dodds called a told the lap dog Bowen to tell ESPN this is how it went down. Lapdog wag tale and fetched.
Stasco
AG
quote:
Texas told you that you did not have their permission to join us so you obeyed the sips and did what they demanded.

Damn, that burns.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Here's my take:

OP obviously has an AgTag, so give it for what it's worth, but . . .

he/she is the BIGGEST whiny, arse ladyparts on this site: wanted to just give up football because we were joining the "big, bad, SEC" - and because we have not dominated in the last 10 years, then we were destined to not succeed in the SECede(ion).

I don't know where he/she is coming from, but . . .

The only thing that will shut his/her whiny ladyparts is for our football team to go out and take all this talk personally, and wipe all the smugness off of tu and OU 's faces with a good ol fashion butt-whoopin.
John David Stutts
We are an AAU university with a respected tradition in college football in the 2nd most populous state in the country......what is the intellectual foundation you guys stand upon who believe that it is impossible for us receive a solo invitation to the SEC?
SECTAMU#1
With all of the misinformation being thrown out here, the one thing I know is false is the quote below:

quote:
Texas told you that you did not have their permission to join us so you obeyed the sips and did what they demanded.

"If we do five-star coaching, they'll be five-star players."
ClickClack
AG
ESPN could never accept the fact that A&M would have a solo offer to the SEC.
TexasAggiesWin
S
And this should show us how pitaful our leadership is even more so..... Damn, it just gets worse and worse
Mike_e
Ou declined and FSU was to be #14. The SEC is only going to add by pairs.

FSU (from what I've heard) is still willing. The SEC is still willing. The Texas Aggies???
Pure Unadulterated Evil
I guess the question is "Is it too late to join the SEC?"
aniconoclast
Whaaaaah!
TxAginAz
AG
quote:
i believe we had a solo firm offer with no strings attached. i can just see how some do not believe we did.

So you can go Tropic Thunder "full retard" too?

Congrats?

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

Houstonag
AG
As I have stated many times, and the most recent media reports agree, the sips could not stand the idea of TAMU not being with them and the AGs going to the SEC. They knew it would help the AGs and they said no to the PAC. The bums will not admit but the truth is clear now.

The Ags were first class in how they played their cards. Staying with a new Big 12 in the end was the only practical thing to do in view of the money.

The young Ags who need to learn some business skills need to go back and write some apology letters to $Bill.

Would I rather us going to the SEC. Yes!! It will come but not now.
DRK 87
If you guys believe that a "Mammoth Media Machine" like the SEC wanted a terrible media team like A&M, (a team that almost never gets on tv anymore and can't even ink good radio deals in the largest Texas cities) you'll believe anything. No wonder this debate still has legs!

I’m sure we were "in" as part of a 2 or 4 team expansion – but not as a solo addition. No one was “in” as a solo addition. And as much as you guys want to read between the lines, no one "official" has said anything that confirms a SOLO offer to A&M. As a matter of fact, the conspicuously careful wording makes me even sure that the SEC only wanted to expand if the B12 blew up and there was a feeding frenzy over the B12 carcass. And even if they did irrefutable confirmation of a solo offer, it wouldn't be believable; it would just be part of continued posturing, positioning, and face-saving for an ongoing negotiation that hasn’t reached its conclusion.
Teslag
AG
DRK87

Are you calling Billy Liucci, one of the partner's of this site, a liar?

It's a simple question.
NyAggie
AG
quote:
Based on what I've read, that just isn't the case. The decision makers wanted to stay in the Big12 the entire time, and when it looked like the Big12 was going to collapse, we lined up a bid for the SEC. Once Texas realized we would make a move that benefitted us and could threaten their dominance in the state, they ditched their plans to save the Big12, and the A&M brass celebrated the opportunity to stay where they wanted to be the entire time.

They justified their decision with the 12 point evaluation ... That seems like political cover to me because if they had really used it, we'd be in the SEC.

The only thing that makes sense to me, and our leadership could NEVER admit this, is that we couldn't afford to pay the penalties to the Big12 if we had left. The SEC option was dependent on the Big12 collapsing, which would have nullified any agreements and freed us from any financial liability. Once the Big12 appeared to be sticking around, a move to the SEC would result in millions of dollars in penalties, forfeiture of TV revenue, and I'm sure a lengthy legal battle to get it all sorted. That is what Nebraska and Colorado face now. It's still a good move for Nebraska in my mind, but I'm not sure about Colorado. Neither of those teams may actually pay up, so that will be interesting to watch. We might have had more pressure to pay up with the other Texas schools remaining in the conference.

If that is the reason we passed up the SEC, I can respect that. I still think the SEC is better in the long term, but leaving the Big12 might be a very tough short term financial crisis to deal with.

Andrew,

that's the best explanation of this whole thing that I have seen to date.

Makes the most sense.

p8aggie
AG
For the sake of argument, let’s assume Andrews’s explanation is correct, which sounds right to me. Will A&M go to the SEC right away without a lot of discussions and meetings and politicking once the little Big 12 falls apart? Or, do we have to go through a couple weeks of speculation and waiting?
DRK 87
quote:
Are you calling Billy Liucci, one of the partner's of this site, a liar?
Has he said "the SEC offered A&M a solo offer and we refused". It doesn't take much "spin" to "not be lying", there is no one doubting that we got an offer to go to the SEC. Either he added that spin, or the front-office added that spin when he got his story.

Coming out and saying "A&M had a conditional offer" hurts our position and the SEC's position big-time, that's why no one in either party is (or will) say it that directly until the whole process is over. That doesn't mean anyone is necessarily lying!
DRK 87
quote:
no it isn't, why would the decision makers at A&M simply chose a "weakened B12-lite" over the "sure bet of the SEC"? That's the most asinine and unbelievable part of a totally asinine and unbelievable story.

How is that believable, but the notion that the SEC offer discreetly had strings attached so unbelievable? I hope none of you negotiate contracts for a living; if you do, you have to be sitting in front of your computer in your underwear!

[This message has been edited by DRK 87 (edited 6/24/2010 11:59a).]
beerad12man
AG
quote:
Andrew,

Not really. It had much more to do with politics than money. My only question is this. Had we gone to the SEC, the Big 12 would cease to exist, therefore, would there even have been a penalty? Why would we have to pay anything to a conference that no longer exists?

quote:
Has he said "the SEC offered A&M a solo offer and we refused".

Yes, he has. MANY, MANY times. For the last time DRK, I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you. If we changed our minds, we could pick up the phone, call Mike Slive, and be in the SEC today. ALONE, SOLO, without anyone else. Now, the SEC would look to add a 14th team, but that doesn't matter. They'd take us alone first.
DRK 87
quote:
Yes, he has. MANY, MANY times. For the last time DRK, I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you. If we changed our minds, we could pick up the phone, call Mike Slive, and be in the SEC today. ALONE, SOLO, without anyone else. Now, the SEC would look to add a 14th team, but that doesn't matter. They'd take us alone first.
you're smokin dope! There is absolutly no chance the SEC would take us alone without an pre-greased package of teams.
DRK 87
quote:
Now, the SEC would look to add a 14th team, but that doesn't matter.
why would they bother to add a 14th team if the prize is a team that "can't get on tv or radio or beat another SEC team"?

If you're going to believe in a fantasy, believe it all the way!

[This message has been edited by DRK 87 (edited 6/24/2010 12:09p).]
beerad12man
AG
Once again, Not arguing. I'm telling you.

You have to be the most ridiculous poster on this site.
DRK 87
quote:
Once again, Not arguing. I'm telling you.
I can see why you're not arguing with me
beerad12man
AG
Because there is no convincing you, actually. You're stubborn as can be, even though you're dead wrong on the subject.
bendover
DRK, you wearing a little foil hat right now?

Every person connected with this story has come out and said A&M had a solo offer. What are you basing your conclusion on, exactly?

You do seem ridiculous on this thread.
DRK 87
Let's list all the parts of this story that are totally unbelievable:
- The SEC desperately wants a team that can't win at the SEC level, get on TV, or get on radio
- The A&M decision makers freely "chose" a weakened B12-light over the SEC
- The A&M decision makers can't stand the idea of getting out from under tu's boot, they just have to stick with their Austin brethren
- Some "mystery network" believes the weakened B12-light is suddenly worth SEC-type money after losing two household names (one of them a storied program) and a Championship Game
- That "mystery network" keeps their identity under wraps rather than boast about their new "golden goose" - where are the B12-lite Billboards
- The new B12-light won't consider adding 2 new teams, even though the lack of a Championship game all but disqualifies a B12-lite team from playing for a MNC
- The "mystery network" doesn't make their new "golden goose" add two teams in order to get a Championship Game
- A 6-3 BoR flips over night
- Gene Stallings flips over night

I can't think a part of the story that IS believable beyond the fact that we had a ticket to the SEC assuming the B12 blew up and the fight was on between the SEC, B10, and PAC-X for the B12 carcass. Everything else is regarding this story is an unbelievable load of crap designed to hold our position until the next round of action.

[This message has been edited by DRK 87 (edited 6/24/2010 12:41p).]
AnalogyAg
Here is it in a nutshell. Please clip this and memorize it, and shut up if you don't get it:

1. t.u. orchestrated the PAC deal and wanted it badly.

2. PAC deal was a package deal, although Ags were not a condition of the PAC.

3. A&M had a solo offer from SEC if it wanted it, and was seriously considering taking it.

4. t.u. started re-thinking the PAC deal when became apparent A&M wouldn't join it.

5. t.u.'s re-thinking, coupled with heavy politics from Perry and other state big-wigs, and incredible pressure on a wimpy A&M BOR, resulted in Ags agreeing to stay in a modified Big 12 deal, which by all means should be temporary at best.

That's it. plain and simple. A&M was the catalyst of the whole deal.
Big Tuna
We have to take OSU. I don't know what the ins and outs are involving legislative approval and all that. But I do know OSU and OU have at least an equal presence in the OK state senate. So if the legislative approval was required for OU to move without OSU, it would not have happened.
DRK 87
That's less believable than my story, much less.

- Why does the SEC want us solo?
- Why is this "mystery network" bankrolling such a crappy conference?
- Why isn't this "mystery network" proudly selling their new product, or at least identifying themselves?
- Why doesn't the B12 beef up it's tv appeal with more teams and a championship game?

I could buy the Perry part, I could believe the fact that we couldn't absorb a $10M hit and I agree that tu didn't want us to go solo anywhere. But none of the rest or your story adds up
bendover
quote:
Let's list all the parts of this story that are totally unbelievable:
- The SEC desperately wants a team that can't win at the SEC level, get on TV, or get on radio
- The A&M decision makers freely "chose" a weakened B12-light over the SEC
- The A&M decision makers can't stand the idea of getting out from under tu's boot, they just have to stick with their Austin brethren
- Some "mystery network" believes the weakened B12-light is suddenly worth SEC-type money after losing two household names (one of them a storied program) and a Championship Game
- That "mystery network" keeps their identity under wraps rather than boast about their new "golden goose" - where are the B12-lite Billboards
- The new B12-light won't consider adding 2 new teams, even though the lack of a Championship game all but disqualifies a B12-lite team from playing for a MNC
- The "mystery network" doesn't make their new "golden goose" add two teams in order to get a Championship Game
- A 6-3 BoR flips over night
- Gene Stallings flips over night

I can't think a part of the story that IS believable beyond the fact that we had a ticket to the SEC assuming the B12 blew up and the fight was on between the SEC, B10, and PAC-X for the B12 carcass. Everything else is regarding this story is an unbelievable load of crap designed to hold our position until the next round of action.

Every single point you listed is your speculation. You have no quotes or facts to back up your opinion.

Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor?
DRK 87
There has to be some logic behind the picture that is being painted - you can't "just believe" what you've read in a situation like this - especially when almost none of it makes any sense.
DRK 87
quote:
Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor?
The most believable, straight forward scenario is mine. You have to do way more mental gymnastics to believe the "party line" on this!
agent-maroon
AG
quote:
- Why does the SEC want us solo?

TV sets and the recruiting exposure to Texas HS players they would bring.

This has been posted a thousand times over the last couple of weeks. If you can't see this by now then I don't know what could be said to make it sink in.

"Ignorance can be fixed, but stupid is forever"

quote:
OU president David Boren: "the University of Oklahoma and Texas A&M both received invitations to join the Southeastern Conference during the last round of conference realignment."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.