Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I was dead wrong - we did get invited to the SEC

5,934 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Scorebook
Spaceball 1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Why does the SEC want us solo?

Because we are the only chance they will ever have to open the Texas market. tu has made it clear they want no part of the SEC. A&M isn't tu in terms of fandom but we aren't a slouch. Hell the PAC is excited about adding Utah.

Not to mention we're a natural fit, and a great academic and research college. A&M would be a huge win for the SEC, and them for us. It makes so much sense. Arky and LSU are built in rivalries.

www.agsforsec.com

"Evil will always win because good is dumb."
bendover
All of your questions have been answered already DKR, if you took the time to research it. I'll try a brief run down:

quote:
- Why does the SEC want us solo?

Texas market. Traditionally strong program. Unfortunately, you are not giving your program enough credit. We are still a prize get. Our athletic department is currently 5th in the Director's cup standing. If football wins were all that mattered Boise St. and TCU wouldn't still be in a non-bcs conference.

quote:
Why is this "mystery network" bankrolling such a crappy conference?

Fox, I believe. There is a lot of reasons we are going to get paid what we are, one of them is the reduced number of teams means their is more of the pie to go around. The other reason is tu, OU, and A&M are getting paid more than anybody else.

quote:
- Why isn't this "mystery network" proudly selling their new product, or at least identifying themselves?

You know this doesn't go into effect this year, right?

quote:
Why doesn't the B12 beef up it's tv appeal with more teams and a championship game?

Again, less teams means more of the pie to go around. Round robin play makes championship game redundant.
DRK 87
quote:
TV sets and the recruiting exposure to Texas HS players they would bring.
We never get on tv these days. The SEC is already getting more TV time (and more recurits) in Texas than A&M does. How do they get something out of playing on Verses 3 or 4 times?

There is only one reason the SEC takes A&M; to "get in on the action" when the college fooball vision of four 16-team conferences starts happening. They don't get anything out of adding a team or two right now!

[This message has been edited by DRK 87 (edited 6/24/2010 1:02p).]
bendover
quote:
The most believable, straight forward scenario is mine. You have to do way more mental gymnastics to believe the "party line" on this!

No, your theory requires some vast cover-up and conspiracy by all the members of the new Big 12.

Why would KU or Mizzou lie about the new television contract? Why would tu lie about it? You think tu doesn't have any other options? You realize how ridiculous this sounds?
bendover
BTW, if you haven't watched Loftin's Texags interview then you should. He answers many of your questions, including the television questions.

Of course, I'm sure you'll just believe he's lying, but maybe he will get through to you.
DRK 87
quote:
No, your theory requires some vast cover-up and conspiracy by all the members of the new Big 12.
No it doesn't, the "mystery network" has to say they "agree to a deal in principle" and give themselves a legal out. In the meantime, they work the phones to get tu/ou into the SEC or B10. Then they just claim that the "numbers didn't work" and the deals off. They are the only ones who have to be disingenuous.

quote:
Why would KU or Mizzou lie about the new television contract?
what else are they going to do? what options do they have? they just go to bed every night hoping there is really a deal behind the curtain.

quote:
Why would tu lie about it?
They aren't lying, they can just pretend that a real deal is coming. With their options, it's easy to play along for a while and them make a move if/when things blow up

Teslag
AG
DRK 87

Billy Liucci has said that we had, and currently have, an unconditional solo offer to join the SEC. All we have to do is pick up the phone.

So I ask again, is Billy Liucci lying?

Simple question.
moonman22
A&M and OU had an offer to the SEC. That is the only fact that is supported by every party involved. It doesn't say it was both solo or contingent.

I trust Luccii as much as I trust Chip Brown.

If there is a link to an SEC official stating that A&M had a solo offer, please provide. Until then, I will rely on the only FACTS I have.
DRK 87
quote:
Billy Liucci has said that we had, and currently have, an unconditional solo offer to join the SEC. All we have to do is pick up the phone.
I don't have any doubt that's what the "front office" wants us to believe. If they said anything else, it would be a dereliction of duty regarding maintaining A&M's negotiation position. If I were running the show, I would be telling Liucci the same thing. If I were Liucci, I'd be reporting just what I've been told; I wouldn't get into the fishy smell either.

But that doesn't mean it's the real story. That doesn't mean our front office is screwing this up as badly as it appears. And that doesn't mean it's over.

[This message has been edited by DRK 87 (edited 6/24/2010 1:37p).]
DRK 87
quote:
If there is a link to an SEC official stating that A&M had a solo offer, please provide.
and they'd be stupid to "clear the air" on that.

Their goal is to have A&M, tu, an OU in the conference when all the conferences go to 16 teams. Publicly stranding A&M helpless on an island makes it harder for the SEC to use A&M to lure tu, OU, and tv money onboard. Being discrete about the nature of the offer is why the hot properties in the B12 aren't in the PAC10 right now!
agent-maroon
AG

quote:
OU president David Boren: "the University of Oklahoma and Texas A&M both received invitations to join the Southeastern Conference during the last round of conference realignment."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FundAg10
AG
DRK 87, please just watch the Loftin interview. I can't even believe I took the time to post on this thread after reading your self-loathing posts.
bendover
quote:
They aren't lying, they can just pretend that a real deal is coming. With their options, it's easy to play along for a while and them make a move if/when things blow up

Oh I see, it's not lying it PRETENDING! I got it. How cute....

Wow. I think I'm done with this thread now.
Mike_e
AAAAARRRGGGH!

Guys, stand up and look at yourselves.

The SEC wants you because if you joined the SEC, admittedly with a good amount of work (and we know you aren't slouches), you could be every bit as big as UT. With out the drama.

You are Both Major schools, so who are you going to watch, UT vs Arizona or the Texas Aggies vs Alabama, or Auburn, or Arkansas, or LSU or either of the Mississippi schools even.

Every home game a sellout. Add on to your stadium and still sell it out.

Ask yourselves how much money you'd get with an extra 20,000 paid attendance plus concessions per game. How much is that? How much? On top of everything else!

And when you walk into a recruit's home, walk tall because you'd have the best show in Texas to sell.

Or you can keep letting that 'punk' big brother cut in line ahead of you.

Aggies, stand up and look around!

[This message has been edited by Mike_e (edited 6/24/2010 3:11p).]
DRK 87
No one in this thread is debating that the SEC is the right move, the debate is on "why we didn't do it"
DRK 87
quote:
Oh I see, it's not lying it PRETENDING! I got it. How cute....
"pretending" isn't the right word - their course of action doesn't change whether there is a real deal or not. They proceed as if there really is a $24M pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and then act in their best interest when there isn't. They aren't compelled to acknowledge or act on the fact that this deal smells fishy and that its impossible that there is $24M waiting for them - so they play along. Their options don't get worse as time passes, so why not.

[This message has been edited by DRK 87 (edited 6/24/2010 3:40p).]
Sarge 77
DRK 87...are you Richard Justice?
ABATTBQ87
AG
87 wrote:
quote:
We never get on tv these days. The SEC is already getting more TV time (and more recurits) in Texas than A&M does. How do they get something out of playing on Verses 3 or 4 times?

Here's how A&M gets more tv time:

ESPN Regional TV and SEC Introduce 'SEC Network'
Posted: July 21, 2009 | Last updated: August 30, 2009 at 09:31 PM

Exclusive Regional SEC Coverage Debuts in September with Neal, Ware and Capuano
ESPN Regional Television, the new over-the-air syndication home for Southeastern Conference programming, and the SEC announced today a regionally syndicated college sports package that will air in more than 73 television markets, along with the branding of the syndication package as the SEC Network – all part of the groundbreaking 15-year agreement between ESPN, Inc., and the SEC.

http://www.secsports.com/news/espn-regional-tv-and-sec-introduce-sec-network-.aspx
Aggie09Derek
AG
DRK- "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." (Lincoln)

[This message has been edited by Aggie09Derek (edited 6/24/2010 7:19p).]
AJ02
AG
I'm convinced.

DRK is a verifiable dumbass with no college football acumen.

Or, he is a woman. Again, with no college football acumen.
Scorebook
AG
DRK is a sipathizer, and never makes a positive post on A&M. I don't know how the guy got an Agtag. He's as annoying as my nutter Uncle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.