Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Rice Scouting Report

11,835 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by aggie_2001_2005
jt16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1st game after a LONG offseason. It doesn't matter who we play, the boys will be ready. Don't confuse message board fans with the approach the team will take.
joshagof11
AG
Rice:
Tafelmeier94
AG
Thx for the post Owl. Interesting read.
AggieBB
AG
OP- you do realize Sam Houston would mud hole rice, right? Top 5-6 offenses we'll face this year? Try about #10.

Your coach is in year 7 and is still rebuilding? Good thing he's a great ambassador to he school! I'm still laughing about the ucla part.
agswag031990
Where is all this arrogance coming from? We are better than that. La tech was close last year and I think we will crush Rice because of our Offense and better talent in general but just a couple of years ago a game like this wouldn't be a lock. No game is ever a lock. We haven't even seen our team this year. I have tons of confidence that we will be great but the op was just trying to give us some insight which I for one am glad to read. So thanks OP for an actual football discussion
agswag031990
But I do think JFF is going to go berserk on that defense because unlike this board.. Our team won't be overlooking you guys and this team is hungry
DTrain
AG
Our best DL is out???

"we are glad that your best DL is out for our game and some other young guys are playing for your DL which would make this part a very big mismatch of years past…a more even match-up."
diehard14
AG
None of the posters play, all we have to do is show up.
Owlagdad
Thanks OP..Watched both. Rice kids are step slower, inch shorter, that is why they went to Rice. Not enough depth in overall team, forcing unit will be gassed early. Only hope is that A&M 's secondary still havent learned to tackle, but if it turns into track meet look for last A&M-Baylor score, where A&M doubled the Bears who had RGIII.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
Where is all this arrogance coming from? We are better than that. La tech was close last year and I think we will crush Rice because of our Offense and better talent in general but just a couple of years ago a game like this wouldn't be a lock. No game is ever a lock. We haven't even seen our team this year. I have tons of confidence that we will be great but the op was just trying to give us some insight which I for one am glad to read. So thanks OP for an actual football discussion

La tech would put up 80 on rice..... In the first half.

Nobody has a problem with the OP giving insight into his team. The "arrogance" you are referring to is a result of some of the laughable comments made in the OP.
89Ag4Ever
AG
Thanks for the thoughtful write-up Owl40. Very well done. The last time A&M had a preseason rating that justified this kind of confidence for a national championship run, Rice came out of nowhere and spoiled it for us. I am sure that Sumlin and his staff will not overlook this game, nor take anyone lightly. In fact, with all of the media controversy and negative garbage over the past 8 months, this team is ready to devour live babies and eviscerate anyone who dares to complain. In short, this team is extremely hungry to play at full speed against a common enemy, and they have an enormous chip on their shoulders.

I agree tht Rice has enough talent and experience on offense to pose a credible challenge to our defense, but your defense is in for an historically bad day. I'm reasonably confident that you already know why, so I will forego providing unnecessary clarification regarding the enormous mismatch between our offense vs. your defense. On the other hand, the matchup between the Rice O vs. A&M D may be interesting, if only for a quarter or two.

Rice indeed likes to come out of the gate strong, but so does our defense. Last year, we held opponents to three and outs 6 out of 7 times the opponent received the ball to start the game. Rice is definitely a run-first team, preferring to run to the outside on power sweeps (pulling small but fast linemen) or utlizing a quasi triple option game to the edge. This, combined with play action and quick check-down passing, can be a very effective ball control scheme for teams like Rice who lack size and strength up front. In fact, this scheme can cause headaches against even elite defenses who do not regularly face it or practice against it. Sam Houston has a similar scheme, and even they managed to string together some decent series against our first team D last year when we were playing at our peak. I have no illusions that Rice will score a time or 2. However, the strength of A&M's defensive backfield will force Rice to be one dimensional, and this will translate to mass destruction, bordering on felonious assault.

While Rice is definitely no Sam Houston, A&M is certainly no Air Force either. This year, our defense will present track star speed at every position across the board. Our interior D-line will stuff the Rice hogs, allowing our LB's to roam free and make plays. Our D ends will own the edges, as well as penetrate when necessary, to disrupt the pass and to blow up the option. Finally, our D-backs (particularly our safeties) will play downhill and bring violence to the edge that Rice has not seen in quite some time. The theme for our defense this year is speed, and then more speed, very reminiscent of the LSU defense from last year.

Rice will definitely put up a good fight, and I believe you guys will score a few points early against our #1 D and then later against our backups. But in between, I don't see Rice staying within 21 points of A&M. But that's why they play the games, right?

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by 89Ag4Ever (edited 8/20/2013 10:06a).]
Womackster
AG
Rice doesn't suck, but we'll still beat them. Looking forward to the game. Offseason has been far too long.
The Collective
AG
This game kind of reminds me of SMU in 2011. We were ranked high, and SMU returned a ton of starters and was considered a pretty good mid-conference team.
Mac94
AG
Hope the OP is spot on with his description of the Owl Offense. We know we will run over Rice's defense ... we will score pretty much at will. But if Rice has a decet offense it will be a good test / learning opportunity for ouor young defense to grow. Our defense needs to be tested and hopefully Rice's offence will be up to the challenge of giving our green but talented defensive squad a test. Could only help going forward into the season
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
DL
We lost one of our best DL and All-Conference guys (Shahin) in Spring Camp. We are thin here and it is probably biggest area of concern. Our DE's are decent with Bauer being the best guy who can get pressure but this group needs to step-up to have a chance.

Since our myriad of 5* running backs will run very hard and very fast through the massive holes that our massive offensive line will be opening up in your defense, I don't see this being even remotely close. If anything, we could totally make this a throwback game, not even pass the ball, and still have 500 yds of offense while getting the 3rd string guys some reps.
MAROON
AG
quote:
OP- you do realize Sam Houston would mud hole rice, right?
Good Lord, at least try to become somewhat educated about college football.

Thanks for the write-up. I expect this game to be closer than some of the morons on this thread expect.

Ags - when an opposing fan comes over and gives a good detailed scouting report, showing your ass in your response is not needed.
SARATOGA
I'm going to say TAMU 35 Rice 21

If we didn't play a single starter, and just played 2 and 3 deep.

But assuming we play starters, look for 28-0 midway through the first quarter, most starters will finish out the half though lots of 2s will be mixed in for the remainder of the first half, and halftime score will be 35-0.

A few defensive starters will play some of 3rd quarter. Our second team offense will still score on you as we are stacked at running back, so we'll mostly be running the ball, and at the end of the 3rd quarter look for a score of 45-0.

In the 4th quarter garbage time, we'll be playing scrubs and walk ons, you might get someone loose on a busted coverage, but so will we.

We each score another garbage time touchdown for a final score of 52-7.

BDR
AG
quote:
I'm going to say TAMU 35 Rice 21

If we didn't play a single starter, and just played 2 and 3 deep.

But assuming we play starters, look for 28-0 midway through the first quarter, most starters will finish out the half though lots of 2s will be mixed in for the remainder of the first half, and halftime score will be 35-0.

A few defensive starters will play some of 3rd quarter. Our second team offense will still score on you as we are stacked at running back, so we'll mostly be running the ball, and at the end of the 3rd quarter look for a score of 45-0.

In the 4th quarter garbage time, we'll be playing scrubs and walk ons, you might get someone loose on a busted coverage, but so will we.

We each score another garbage time touchdown for a final score of 52-7.

Love the second line.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
jsamjenkins
AG
quote:
Our team is most likely taking you seriously. However 99% of this site is not.

This. Or, at least, I hope this. Those posting on this thread are overconfident. A&M has historically started the season slowly. Hopefully, this year will be the exception.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
OP don't mind the idiots that love and crave the attention and act like..............well, idiots!

Thanks for stoping by and giving us a quick look at what you think your team will look like in the up coming season.

Question for you, how big is your OL and DL?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen!
airg8t
AG
Really appreciate the effort the OP put in to his scouting report. I am somewhat surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for actual football discussion on this board after the longest offseason I can remember. Less surprising is the general disrespect shown toward a guest on this board by many posters. Please ignore that and continue sharing your opinions about your team.

I hope you are right, OP, that the Rice Owls will bring their A-game. Our young players need experience against a competitive team to prepare them for Bama and the rest of our conference schedule.

I am looking forward to this game, not just because it will mean an end to the off season, but because it will give Coach Sumlin a chance to cycle many of our 31 new players from the 2013 signing class.

Good luck to your team.

BTHO Rice!
Usoos
AG
Thanks for the detailed scouting report OP. I appreciate the effort that took.
Bigfoot In Aggieland
AG
Hey Owl, thanks for the report! Talking football on a football board is a nice change of pace.

TexanJeff
AG
Hahaha! You fool! Do you realize what you have done??!?!!

The town is back that way!
AggieRain
AG
Good post, owl. Thank you for sharing. Good luck!
JohnnytoMike
Rice would *****stomp Sam Houston

BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Hey Owl, thanks for the report! Talking football on a football board is a nice change of pace.

Going with this. Thanks for writing it up. I do think you're pretty optimistic of how good your offense is going to be.

But since this is the zoo: hurr durr I eat rice but only at the Chinese buffet, 50-0 after the first two minutes, anal leakage.
CoachLB
After all the negative talk about A&M, it doesn't matter who shows up on Aug. 31! Aggies have a chip on their shoulder that is pretty big. When you play like that, you overlook no one. It is not Rice the Aggies are out to prove something to, it is themselves and the Nation. So forget the overlooking Rice thing.
Knightag06
AG
Mark it down. We will score on the third play.

Of every drive.
Paulie
AG
Your biggest problem is mentioned in your D write up....your DL might be the weakest part of your team...and because of that we will be able to move the ball very well. Only way to fluster johnny somewhat is to be on him right at the snap...even that doesnt work sometimes....but its your only shot....the contain method will not work for rice with the athletes we have not only at rb but at receiver. I still expect your offense to have a decent enough day though. Im just glad we are playing you guys again...and count me as probably a minority on the board that wants the mob to come out in a johnny football signature at half.
AggieBQ03
AG
I only have one question:
What comes out of a Chinaman's ass?

Rice! Rice! Rice!

(I kid, seriously, thanks for the interesting write up. Nice to see some football talk)
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
Bailiff is in year seven of building a program.

Craigy
Rice has a four ft tall RB....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.