Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Athletic Department Layoffs

21,313 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Aggie0956732
aggie090
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This from football scoop claiming money saved to pay players...

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-a-m-lays-off-a-number-of-high-level-staffers-in-preparation-for-paying-players

When did players become employees of the university, and why would the university publicly admit to doing it?
one safe place
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

The Athletic Department has needed to be cleaned out for a long time. Too much failure. Going forward, they should have yearly evaluations of every single person within the AD.
A better approach would have been from the top down, you know, those responsible for the lack of conference championships.
one safe place
Hawk2007 said:

JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

DGrimesAg92 said:

****'em, they created this mess. I'll watch'em from my living room where I cause pause the game, drinks are cheap and I don't have to fight the crowds and the heat.

App State was my last game at Kyle, after 20 years of being a season ticket holder.

Fool me once shame on you, fool have eleven hundred times....shame on me.

What is wrong with some of you? Almost none of these folks have had anything to do with the failures on the field., but "f em all"? Sad, bitter people.

And yet A&M threw them all out. Mike Elko and Jimbo Fisher aren't taking a pay cut to save these folks jobs.

Jimbo is certainly laughing all the way to the bank right now.
Maybe the idiots in charge of the contracts/extensions given to Sumlin and Fisher are trying to make amends.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
one safe place said:

The Athletic Department has needed to be cleaned out for a long time. Too much failure. Going forward, they should have yearly evaluations of every single person within the AD.
A better approach would have been from the top down, you know, those responsible for the lack of conference championships.

I agree with you on everyone at the top needing to be evaluated yearly, along with everyone else.
Buford T. Justice
AG
That's not how athletic departments work. Not here, nor anywhere else. The bloat that has been referenced comes with your favorite new coach wanting to bring "their guys," and having "their people," come with them. The people that got cut, for the most part, were good longstanding hardworking people that got cut for the sake of appearances. Coaches keep their bloated staffs, fans clamor over the highly paid coaches, rinse and repeat.

This was a smoke and mirrors move.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
greg.w.h
AG
aggie090 said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-a-m-lays-off-a-number-of-high-level-staffers-in-preparation-for-paying-players

When did players become employees of the university, and why would the university publicly admit to doing it?
Havent being paying attention…as it always does, indentured servanthood is suffering a harsh death.
Logos Stick
Coryhub said:

New AD stuff along with needing to pay a guy 60M for not working here

How's ol Jimbo doing these days?
CrottyKid
AG
It's a new world in college sports.
Time to get leaner. Trev Alberts is a big dose of GasX.
Tamuco99
I guess I'd be proactive about slashing salaries too if my current employer had to pay my previous employer $4.12MM in order to procure my services...

Jimbo's buyout doesn't need to be referenced regarding these cuts. Hell, they don't even cover half of Trev's buyout from NU
VP at Pierce and Pierce
halfastros81 said:

I don't know what the net impact will be here but I do feel bad for those that are being let go. The only advice I can offer is when one door closes another is likely to open.

The marketing of our sports programs seems to be lacking to me . Coordination and packaged options for fans of all sports seems somewhat lacking . I cite our turnout for the men's NCAA hoops tourney as exhibit A. This is an arena I hope the new AD looks at closely . The athletic dept website also seems a bit disjointed and clunky to me.
Marketing, branding, and PR are borderline awful at Texas A&M athletics and have been for quite a while. They improved dramatically under Sumlin, I am guessing the firm or person in charge then moved on because it is back to being late 2000s version.
JMac03
AG
Logos Stick said:

Coryhub said:

His house was put on the market very recently. He has been seen several times working out at Planet Fitness.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
JMac03 said:

Logos Stick said:

Coryhub said:

His house was put on the market very recently. He has been seen several times working out at Planet Fitness.
Dude has $100M guaranteed and works out at planet fitness? That's hilarious.
robcovol
Speaking of saving money, cutting costs and wise use of resources, can anyone tell me why the scoreboard at Kyle Field has lit up most of the mornings for the past few weeks? Driving into work, I can see it almost from the OSR.
JMac03
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

JMac03 said:

Logos Stick said:

Coryhub said:

Dude has $100M guaranteed and works out at planet fitness? That's hilarious.

I thought the same thing. Apparently many times people just bombard him, talking and asking questions. I would think a smaller place might be better but hey it's his money not mine.
infinity ag
OrygunAg said:

Layoffs are always tough. One of the big life events that'll shape ya.

Yes it shapes you all right. Turns you into selfish self-serving opportunistic toxic person who knows that to survive he needs to throw everyone else under the bus.

I got laid off late last year. all these years, including at my last job I worked hard for the company in mind. I worked on the latest cutting edge stuff (Gen AI). Then I got laid off along with many other good employees who got a lot done and I believe we were chosen because another group of people wanted to take on our projects. F this. My next job will see a different me. I have thought a lot about all of this. Be selfish and think ONLY about myself and my gain. If the CEO does it, why can't I?
fulshearAg96
AG
90ags said:

Bjork was going to do the same...he had called out savings had to be found in staff reductions, higher ticket prices and higher concession prices to help offset the buyout.

Justin Moore is a bit of surprise, but guess didn't fit in Trev's vision (or whatever). He had left before (think to Hstn) and the dept took many attempts to get him back as he was once considered top notch and an up and comer (guess he may have tried for AD role).
Guys, we fcked up big... so let's start the layoffs and increase ticket and concession stand prices...
Buford T. Justice
AG
Don't let a sh33+y CEO change you.
It sounds like they did not know how to run a business and treat the team members.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
91AggieLawyer
AG

How do you know they don't do that now?
Divining Rod
Texasclipper said:

Not to diss on these individuals, but some of those titles seem pretty cushy with duties that could be combined in other positions, which i guess is what they are doing. But I admit knowing little about managing something like Aggie football.

At the cost of my job, you may be right.

Signed,

Divining Rod
Sr. Associate Executive Poster
TexAgs Forum
StinkyPinky
AG
fulshearAg96 said:

90ags said:

Bjork was going to do the same...he had called out savings had to be found in staff reductions, higher ticket prices and higher concession prices to help offset the buyout.

Justin Moore is a bit of surprise, but guess didn't fit in Trev's vision (or whatever). He had left before (think to Hstn) and the dept took many attempts to get him back as he was once considered top notch and an up and comer (guess he may have tried for AD role).
Guys, we fcked up big... so let's start the layoffs and increase ticket and concession stand prices...
Raise the price on chicken wraps!
greg.w.h
AG
Divining Rod said:

Texasclipper said:

Not to diss on these individuals, but some of those titles seem pretty cushy with duties that could be combined in other positions, which i guess is what they are doing. But I admit knowing little about managing something like Aggie football.

At the cost of my job, you may be right.

Signed,

Divining Rod
Sr. Associate Executive Poster
TexAgs Forum
Are you a recent college grad?

The 'Senior' Jobs That Require Little or No Experience http://www.wsj.com/articles/WP-WSJ-0001725944?st=ouy43tughuk3xhc&reflink=article_imessage_share
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
So chicken wraps are now gonna be a cool $50? $49.99 if they're nice??
levypantsEOY
rgag12 said:

Was Levy let go too? Adidas?

Don't worry- I'm not going anywhere.
one safe place
Ghost of Bisbee said:

So chicken wraps are now gonna be a cool $50? $49.99 if they're nice??
Pricing will be $50 each, or 2 for $175. To purchase, you will need to make an annual contribution of $2,950 and book a two-night stay at an overpriced hotel. With enough priority points, you get a 7% discount on the chicken wraps when ordering a dozen or more.
Indianrider
Indianrider
AG
greg.w.h said:

aggie090 said:

Havent being paying attention…as it always does, indentured servanthood is suffering a harsh death.

Blah...Blah. Blah.... Blah....Blah
cevans_40
AG
greg.w.h said:

aggie090 said:

That's a pretty brash thing to say. The kids CHOOSE to be part of this...doesn't mean it always looks good to people like you looking down their noses.
OldAggie_2
They didn't do anything wrong except stay long enough that they were making too much money relative to their title.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I would love to see the salaries and actual work load of the people in charge of the Levy partnership. Do they even have inventory sheets? Better yet, do the managing employees even know what they are doing?
Aggie2
Should fire Chancellor John Sharp. Save some real money in more ways than one.
Aggie0956732
You know some of those laid off hated the Jimbo contracts from the beginning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.