Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Athletic Department Layoffs

23,263 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by The Porkchop Express
southwestag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
but he also brought a person with him and they're going to get paid so addition by subtraction unfortunately
Aggie_Nuke
AG
greg.w.h said:

Coryhub said:

New AD stuff along with needing to pay a guy 60M for not working here
No. we are paying for having a national championship and leading us to the best outcome since 1939 in 2020 to work here.
So, we're still paying for the 1939 Natty ? No. What we're paying for is another 84 years of mediocrity !

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Ugly
AG
Quote:

Director of Football Player Development Mikado Hinson
I know nothing about this guy, but based just on the title and the last several years it sure seems like we needed a change there.
Tramp96
Threats to Business Model

Well, if your business model is to provide mediocre coaches with generational wealth, then yeah, I could see it being threatened.

Quote:

Texas A&M athletics is laying off a number of high-level administrators and staffers, athletic director Trev Alberts confirmed to TheBryan-College Station Eagle on Tuesday. He made clear the cuts are not related to paying the immense buyout for former head football coach Jimbo Fisher.

I'm sorry, but how can they not be related to the buyout?
DeSantis 2024
Know Your Enemy
AG
The layoffs are to cover the increased salary from the last AD to this one.
Tramp96
As someone who has known and worked alongside many an athletic department staffer or administrator, this just sucks. Granted some of these may have been better paid than others, but it's not like these people are making gigantic salaries.

I feel the same for them as I do for lower level assistant coaches who lose their jobs when there is a head coaching change.
DeSantis 2024
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Did the guy that ruined the Texans get fired?
one safe place
Tramp96 said:

Threats to Business Model

Well, if your business model is to provide mediocre coaches with generational wealth, then yeah, I could see it being threatened.

Quote:

Texas A&M athletics is laying off a number of high-level administrators and staffers, athletic director Trev Alberts confirmed to TheBryan-College Station Eagle on Tuesday. He made clear the cuts are not related to paying the immense buyout for former head football coach Jimbo Fisher.

I'm sorry, but how can they not be related to the buyout?
A guy named Trev said so, lol. I am sure a couple of people believe him.
TXPremiumBoy
AG
"I'm sorry, but how can they not be related to the buyout?"

Pretty sure that this has been in works since before Trev came in. Jimbo's buyout is being funded by a handful of donors. May have taken Bjork 10 phone calls tops back in November to find the buyout money.
Bill Superman
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

Did the guy that ruined the Texans get fired?
No, he was only recently covertly hired to ruin Aggie basketball.
K2Ag97
But most importantly, what does this have to do with the bevel?
vwbug
What does Mel Kiper think of this. He's tied to Trev Alberts!
FTAG 2000
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Tamuco99 said:

Very disappointed to see that Mikado Hinson was also part of these layoffs
He was making $150K.

Our team preacher was making DFW market area IT management level money? Wtf?
NewEra2023
AG
Dang I liked Kristen Brown. Very sharp and articulate reminded me of Candace Owens.
Know Your Enemy
AG
NewEra2023 said:

Dang I liked Kristen Brown. Very sharp and articulate reminded me of Candace Owens.

SMDH

This post is the definition of TexAgs.
NewEra2023
AG
Your problem is?
Aggie92ss
Matt Watson has been there like 27 years or there about
greg.w.h
AG
Aggie_Nuke said:

greg.w.h said:

Coryhub said:

New AD stuff along with needing to pay a guy 60M for not working here
No. we are paying for having a national championship and leading us to the best outcome since 1939 in 2020 to work here.
So, we're still paying for the 1939 Natty ? No. What we're paying for is another 84 years of mediocrity !
Quit being dense. You look dumb.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
The Athletic Department has needed to be cleaned out for a long time. Too much failure. Going forward, they should have yearly evaluations of every single person within the AD.
Know Your Enemy
AG
NewEra2023 said:

Your problem is?

Your ignorance in the year of our lord 2024.
Buford T. Justice
AG
And 90% of them did not receive the kind of salaries that lead to great savings. There is no way that this will help with Fishers' buyout.

"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
85AustinAg
AG
General Welsh new exactly what he was doing when Trev was hired. If you'vbe been listening we've been hearing for years how wasteful some of our spending was. Time to reign it in and move on. This won't make one bit of difference to the product on the field. The whining on here is excessive to say the least. I'm sure some of these were great people but that's not the point. There was waste, redundancy, extravagant spending and it was cut.My guess is that this is not the end of the cost cutting and so be it.
Anonymous Source
S
NewEra2023 said:

"So well spoken and all...."
Gig 'Em
Know Your Enemy
AG
Anonymous Source said:

NewEra2023 said:

"So well spoken and all...."

"She's one of the good ones."
A-A Ron
85AustinAg said:

General Welsh new exactly what he was doing when Trev was hired. If you'vbe been listening we've been hearing for years how wasteful some of our spending was. Time to reign it in and move on. This won't make one bit of difference to the product on the field. The whining on here is excessive to say the least. I'm sure some of these were great people but that's not the point. There was waste, redundancy, extravagant spending and it was cut.My guess is that this is not the end of the cost cutting and so be it.
I would highly doubt that A&M is the only athletic department that will be doing this for the same reasons in the not-so-distant future, especially with how college athletics has evolved and still evolving in the era of NIL and the transfer portal.
halfastros81
AG
I don't know what the net impact will be here but I do feel bad for those that are being let go. The only advice I can offer is when one door closes another is likely to open.

The marketing of our sports programs seems to be lacking to me . Coordination and packaged options for fans of all sports seems somewhat lacking . I cite our turnout for the men's NCAA hoops tourney as exhibit A. This is an arena I hope the new AD looks at closely . The athletic dept website also seems a bit disjointed and clunky to me.
W
AG
TXPremiumBoy said:

"I'm sorry, but how can they not be related to the buyout?"

Pretty sure that this has been in works since before Trev came in. Jimbo's buyout is being funded by a handful of donors. May have taken Bjork 10 phone calls tops back in November to find the buyout money.
but the money funded for the buyout by the handful of donors...

could have been used to offset the NIL payroll wave that is coming for the athletes

it's the opportunity cost
Hawk2007
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

DGrimesAg92 said:

****'em, they created this mess. I'll watch'em from my living room where I cause pause the game, drinks are cheap and I don't have to fight the crowds and the heat.

App State was my last game at Kyle, after 20 years of being a season ticket holder.

Fool me once shame on you, fool have eleven hundred times....shame on me.

What is wrong with some of you? Almost none of these folks have had anything to do with the failures on the field., but "f em all"? Sad, bitter people.

And yet A&M threw them all out. Mike Elko and Jimbo Fisher aren't taking a pay cut to save these folks jobs.

Jimbo is certainly laughing all the way to the bank right now.
frenchtoast
Frees up more resources!
FTAG 2000
AG
Trev would do good to can everyone involved with marketing and NIL for any sport not named football.

You can add to it any life coaches, spiritual advisors, or culture managers in any sport where one or more kids were arrested in a year.
themissinglink
AG
We're going to need to adapt to a world where less of the money flows through the AD and instead goes straight into the hands of athletes.

I can't speak to the qualifications or duties of these individuals, but creating a leaner structure is the right move. Next will be turning off the spigot for capital projects.
Demo_Slug
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Tamuco99 said:

Very disappointed to see that Mikado Hinson was also part of these layoffs
He was making $150K.

That is 1/500th of Jimbo's buy out.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I also think that, given all the big corporate partnerships w/ Learfield, Adidas, SECN, etc., someone eventually would have to ask how how many of the in-house marketing & branding operations were redundant, and what return they were generating.

That's what Alberts' comment about the business model made me think of. But ultimately, the primary mission of a collegiate athletics department is not to sustain and grow itself; more resources are going to have to go the players.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I don't know what the net impact of more than a dozen layoffs will be, but I feel for those who are being let go. In July 2018, I was laid off after just 13 months in my first job after college, but I have been working in the same job since January 2019. Another door is likely open for them. Hopefully, Trev Alberts will transform the marketing of our sports programs.

AGDAD14
I might like the new AD, but this is a bunch of hogwash! New business model… ha! There ain't nothing new under the sun…. out with the old, in with the new… an age old insecure leadership model.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.