Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Since BB is renewing his push/PR campaign to move the Tech game to Dallas

4,359 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by 1876er
rwtxag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
94DC

I agree on your 2nd point. We need all the games we can get at Kyle for cultural reasons.

I don't necessarily agree on your 1st. Most 12thMF members mainly want us to win and win big. Playing tech in the CB comes pretty far down the list of most of those people's priorities compared to winning championships. If we are winning the tix will get sold and the donations will come.
gopitt
"Every school in the top 5 has been placed on NCAA probation at one time or another"

Well, I guess that makes it OK then. Typical Okie mentality.

AliasMan02
AG
Gates has said that we're not moving the game because the students would lose out on the deal. So, I'm not concerned.
footballfan
quote:
football fan--then why does Tech beat our butt practically every year with a budget well under A&M's?
Or Baylor beating us in Waco. I don't see a huge revenue stream in Waco these days.
We don't lose to tu because of money. It's because their guy on the sidelines is far superior to our guy on the sidelines.

Everyone agrees that coaching matters. It's easier to fire and hire coaches if you have lots of extra cash.

Now to Baylor, they had one win in forever, hardly a trend.

Tech's budget is similar to ours!!!! Casual fans (like you) don't realize this, but it's true. Tech raises a lot of $$$$$$ selling out to sponsors. They actually spend a tad more on football than we do!!
denhugs2
First of all my wife and I are season ticket holders and have been for about 10 years...
we live in south texas, abou 5 1/2 hours from Dallas. we love going to Dallas/Ft.Worth, but it is a hardship...can't do it in a day... hotels are getting ridiculous... I don't know how many of you posters have been to the Cotton Bowl, but we have several times and it is a "poophole"... (we had tickets to the recent AGS Cotton Bowl bought thru the 12th Man and sold them when we found out what poor seats they were... you need to sit up at least 20 rows to see ANYTHING... and the Cotton Bowl sells EVERY seat no matter how bad!
It would be foolish to upgrade THAT stadium and the new Cowboys Stadium would be nice, but the tickets WILL be prohibitively high as the recently announced Cowboy's ticket prices will be... make no mistake, "Dollar Bill" is not pushing this change to do DFW AGS a favor
...not to mention that that is one QUALITY game taken out of the costly season ticket lineup every other year!
Secondly, the "curse" in "ARMPIT, TX" only came about because of mediocre teams not because of "hocus-pocus" (similar at Waco).
denhugs2
First of all my wife and I are season ticket holders and have been for about 10 years...
we live in south texas, abou 5 1/2 hours from Dallas. we love going to Dallas/Ft.Worth, but it is a hardship...can't do it in a day... hotels are getting ridiculous... I don't know how many of you posters have been to the Cotton Bowl, but we have several times and it is a "poophole"... (we had tickets to the recent AGS Cotton Bowl bought thru the 12th Man and sold them when we found out what poor seats they were... you need to sit up at least 20 rows to see ANYTHING... and the Cotton Bowl sells EVERY seat no matter how bad!
It would be foolish to upgrade THAT stadium and the new Cowboys Stadium would be nice, but the tickets WILL be prohibitively high as the recently announced Cowboy's ticket prices will be... make no mistake, "Dollar Bill" is not pushing this change to do DFW AGS a favor
...not to mention that that is one QUALITY game taken out of the costly season ticket lineup every other year!
Secondly, the "curse" in "ARMPIT, TX" only came about because of mediocre teams not because of "hocus-pocus" (similar at Waco).
denhugs2
sharpdressedman
Could be an interesting confrontation between Byrne and Gates, if Gates actually made the above referenced comment on a public forum. If the comment was made, and not presented out of context, Byrne might as well be pissing up a rope.
MB19
AG
Unfortunately the bottom line for both us and TT is that if it is a financial windfall on both sides, the game will get switched to Jerry's World in Dallas.
ranger65
I'm told that Byrne, the coaches and even some of the Regents want the Tech game moved to Dallas. I was at an A&M club meeting last spring where Gates was asked this question and he replied that he is opposed to moving the game because he believes 1) other than Bowls, college games should be played on college campuses, 2) most A&M students couldn't go to the game in Dallas, and 3) he doesn't want to elevate Tech to be our equal and principal rival -- that role should be reserved for tu, and our time to regain the upper hand in that relationship will come. He said the $ in Dallas are certainly attractive as is the impact on recruiting in the Dallas area, but his bottom line: he still needs to be convinced of the net benefit of playing the game in Dallas. I think, at this point, he alone stands between playing Tech at Kyle Field or in Dallas.
Austin_Aggie_13
Don't ****ing do it, Bill! HORRIBLE idea!
Pro Ag
AG
quote:
If it goes through, just do the simple thing...don't buy tickets to the game. I know this is not easy as many Dallas based Ags are going to take advantage of seeing the Aggies play close to home. But if you want to make a statment, this is the only way.

This won't work. The sponsorship money will still be there. If you don't buy the tickets someone else will. End of story.

DC - The Aggie football fan population is not properly represented here on TexAgs. It's just a percentage and imo it's skewed to those that would consider themselves red ass (especially the football board).

I'm not a big fan of this even though I live in DFW. That said, the extra money this could bring in sponsorships would help. If you really want to keep this from happening, I'd start finding someone that will sponsor our game against ttu each year in CS or lubbock. That's the only way to completely kill this idea. This would probably piss people off too because Tech would be placed on the same plane as our program, but I don't see anyway around it at this point.
94DCAg
AG
Ranger65- Way to go Gates!
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
the game will get switched to Jerry's World in Dallas

All I've seen is that the game will be at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. The only reason this is an issue is because the City of Dallas is throwing money at the schools in a desperate attempt to salvage the Cotton Bowl after the Cowboys moved to Arlington. Jerry Jones may try to lure the Cotton Bowl game on New Years Day, but the City of Dallas needs to come up with more events at the Cotton Bowl stadium.

quote:
Tech raises a lot of $$$$$$ selling out to sponsors

A&M should look more into selling out to sponsors if they are having a tough time raising the budget. I'd much rather see a game at Clear Channel Stadium at Kyle Field then move the Tech game to Dallas if the money is the same. Sponsorships are an increasing part of sports today, and it's only getting bigger.
bilbobag
how many times are we going to talk about this.. We have no say in the matter..period!

True heroism is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost But the urge to serve others at whatever cost
dreyOO
i'd support this campaign and i know many of us that would. Man, I love having Gates and his sanity around. Checks and balances. It's good that the AD is looking for innovative ways to bring in more $$$$, but we need a President like Gates that keeps him in check.
Tbone
S
I know we all (most of us) have heartburn with the stance Byrne is taking here....but in the end this comes down to Gates decision.

Byrne can't move that game without Gates buying off on it.

Direct your concerns toward Gates and you'll have better luck than channeling them through Byrne (who's mind is already made up).
agz win
AG
94DCAg:

Don't waste too much time on mustering up t-shirts. Direct your efforts to Gates and get the word out to A&M clubs on how the cons vastly outweigh the pros and that Gates needs support to help counter those that wish to hurt the program.

Also, communicate with Byrne your displeasure and make sure he's aware that if he follows through with it most likely it will result in the shortening of his tenure at A&M.

It's simply not all about money. It shouldn't be and it's not.
SPSAg05
AG
quote:
"We’re not about to give up a Kyle-Field advantage to a conference opponent."
~Bill Byrne's Wednesday Weekly
September 1, 2004

[This message has been edited by AndyMac67 (edited 8/14/2006 10:29a).]
BurntOrangeMenace
As a disinterested observer I must say that AndyMac's quote for Byrne would make quite a statement of protest on either a T-shirt or bumper sticker. That statement is pretty damn blunt.

Hookem
12thManTowelie
I don't know about the rest of yall, but I don't turn into a chicken-sh*t coward when I think about Lubbock.

Byrne, keep your word, don't hold the office of AD with a forked tongue, and keep it at Kyle.

-------------------------------------------------------

Whenever you go to Kyle Field, don't forget to bring a towel.
George Jefferson
this is the worst idea EVER. EVER.

KEEP IT AT KYLE.
chick79
AG
quote:
If it goes through, just do the simple thing...don't buy tickets to the game.

Are you effin' kidding me!? Way to support the team!!
West Point Aggie
AG
the quote that AndyMac posted should be emailed to BB over and over and over...
12thManTowelie
quote:
Are you effin' kidding me!? Way to support the team!!

In the long run, this is supporting the team. It might hurt at the time, but the program will be thanking us in the long run.
chick79
geb83
AG
Moving this game to Dallas is a bad idea for A&M and we need Gates to keep believing that.

NYC AG 99
You know, there are Aggies in the Texas Panhandle.

Yes, I think they should move the game back to West Point. Not only because I would get to go, but I've been to 2 games the past 2 years at West Point. It is a great place to visit and the Aggies are severly missing out on that trip.

We do not need a game in Dallas to recruit in Dallas. This playing games in cities to help recruiting is BS. If DFW football players don't know about A&M then we are in big trouble. I bet they all know that Norman, OK is closer to DFW than Austin though.

College football should not be so much about money that the spirit of a campus event is foresaken.
footballfan
quote:
A&M should look more into selling out to sponsors if they are having a tough time raising the budget. I'd much rather see a game at Clear Channel Stadium at Kyle Field then move the Tech game to Dallas if the money is the same. Sponsorships are an increasing part of sports today, and it's only getting bigger.

There's a lot of Ags that don't want to sellout to sponsors. Many of these same Ags don't want to move this game either. Unfortunately we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Maybe we should change our motto to Building Cheap. No, more like Building Stupidly because we will not allow outside money. Or not building at all because we're backwards to todays college athletics so we are going to get our butts kicked by the sips most of the time.

Come Out Roll
AG
some of the guys above are right.....

petition to Gates....BB has already made up his mind....hell, I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days there'll be a damn ferris wheel outside the gate to get kids to ride and spend $ while mom & dad are in the stadium watching the game....

carpetbagger.....

Reporter - "Mike, what will you do now?"
Mike Tyson - "I'll just fade into bolivian."
SpaceCityAg05
AG
quote:
I don't know about the rest of yall, but I don't turn into a chicken-sh*t coward when I think about Lubbock.

Agreed. I do not understand this cowardice of running away from Lubbock and thinking that playing Tech in Dallas will cause us to win more games. The reason we lose in Lubbock is because our teams have sucked.

I have been to Lubbock the past few trips and while it in not a "fun" trip (for obvious reasons), my blood gets burning for that road trip. I want to be there when we finally kick the **** out of Tech in the middle of Hell.

Taking games out of Kyle will NEVER be a good idea. No matter what team or what location.

Neutral site games are for teams who need an artificial setting to create a big time game atmosphere. There is nothing we can set up that creates a better atmospehere or better sells our school to recruits than a Fightin' Texas Aggie football game at Kyle Field.
geb83
AG
Over the past few years Kyle Field has lost some of its intimidation factor, or magic. Taking a conference opponent off campus, and replacing it w/ a 2nd tier team, will only further dimimish the atmosphere and reputation.

There are other ways to make money, and annual grudge match in Dallas w/ say, Arkansas. I would say LSU but i don't want the thread to get off topic.

KEEP TECH IN KYLE.
4stringAg
AG
My question: what sponsor would pony up the $$s necessary to make this an attractive deal for both sides? I can't imagine that ticket sales alone would provide the financial windfall that would be needed to move this game so a sponsor has to be involved.

Neither Tech nor A&M have the national appeal of OU or tu.
Neither one of us are fixtures in the Top 5 and fighting for a MNC.
This game would fall under the B12 TV contract so what add'l TV revenues are available?

What does a sponsor get out of sponsoring a game that at best draws regional interest and even then primarily only in Texas?

[This message has been edited by MemAg92 (edited 8/14/2006 1:49p).]
SPSAg05
AG
And another thing....we all know that A&M gameday atmosphere isn't hardly anything without the students....and you Dallas-ites know damn well that you can pony up the cash to go to College Station a hell of a lot easier than students can to go to Dallas.

[This message has been edited by AndyMac67 (edited 8/14/2006 1:58p).]
ABD
"KEEP IT AT KYLE: HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS"
Who initially came up with this idea to play in Dallas?
"THE COTTON BOWL AIN'T NO KYLE FIELD"... unless Jackie's coaching

BearKat-Ag
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.