Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The latest on "As Nebraska Turns"

9,266 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by McNasty
AGGIE Boss 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jdiddy96
S
Why can't we find somebody who knows if Jason Garrett is in the mix for any of those schools??? I would hope he would be in A&M's top 3 or so...
Barnacle
AG
First, early recruiting
Now, early firings

The football norms are changing

quote:
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, forget em', cause, man, they're gone."

- Jack Handey

Big Tuna
I think we lose Venebles to Arkansas, which would explain why Stoops has taken a much more active role in the D the past few weeks.
Timberwolf
AG
As sure as the sun rises, Bill Byrne is hard at work. Someone knows the details, but they have not been leaked like this NU situation.

Nice to have such strong leadership such as $$ Bill leading us to the top.
TexasAggie_97
AG
The difference between winners and losers is that winners find ways to win at any cost while losers whine about why things are not going the way they want.

Fact is NU will do whatever it takes to win even if it means firing a coach in mid-season. Perhaps this is why they have numerous MNC's and we do not.
3 Toed Pete
AG
quote:
Noone has an idea what Byrne wants, and how much influence he has in this.

This should be bolded in all caps on the front page. If this truly is Byrne's hire, it will be the first time the AD has hired the HC at A&M or texas. Don't count out the cigars having a lot of say.
cs69ag
AG
you can't lose something you never had, and imo never wanted...let venables go wherever!
eduag
AG
Perhaps
tamuags08
AG
quote:
and none other than CHARLIE MCBRIDE as interim Head Coach!

What, was Charlie Pride not available?
blalockAg
wow, some crazy stuff happening... Personally, I dont blame the Nebraska Fans for wanting this. They have been embarrassed badly this year as a football program and have not seen the success they once had. The Nebraska team really looks as if it gave up on the coach the last couple of weeks, and it really seems as if bringing in a new coach may actually do them good... we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I dont really now if this is what A&M needs to be doing, and I just think it would really upset alot of things if we fired Fran midseason, one thing it does help is the new coach search. I sure hope we get on that, and I would MUCH rather have Byrne make this descision. It needs to be his hire b/c Big money is too much of a public opinion that is swayed wayyy too much by perception... Byrne is a proven hand at this, and he needs to be the man here... I know Byrne isnt about making just the glamour hire that looks good, he is about making the hire that BRINGS RESULTS and Championships... If Byrne is the AD many think he is, I really hope he makes this descision over the Big Cigars.
blalockAg
nm

[This message has been edited by blalockAg (edited 10/17/2007 1:32p).]
Professor
This happened because the Huskers figure their current season can't get any worse and they want to get a jump-start on a good hire for next season.

We might do better if we'd wake up and realize the same thing.
Spaceball 1
AG
I prefer the way we are handling our business. Fran is a good coach that didn't work out. New head coach Muschamp will appreciate that we handled the situation professionally.

Goonies Never Say Die.
91AggieLawyer
AG
>>I'm against firing a head coach midseason<<

Its all about $. The players have quit and they want to salvage a bowl (or better bowl) out of this year.
Pizza the Hut
AG
AggieBob03, Fran is not a good coach. At all.
sharpdressedman
quote:
Is Husker Nation so ready to get rid of Callahan that they can't wait 6 weeks?

No, they are wanting to get ahead of the pack in locking down their replacement coach. They will be in a position to make a firm deal, very, very soon, while other schools are watching on the sidelines.
Husker
Breaking news:

A press conference has been scheduled for 6:00pm today in Lincoln.
dcaggie04
AG
So would Tom Osborne tell everyone one thing and do something completely different? He said in his press conference yesterday that the football coaching situation would not be reviewed until after the season was over.
Skull Session
This could get messy real quick for them.
Professional Ag
quote:
Fact is NU will do whatever it takes to win even if it means firing a coach in mid-season. Perhaps this is why they have numerous MNC's and we do not.

You are delusional. Which of NU's two MNC winning coaches were hired after firing a coach mid-season?

How long was Osborne a coach before he won his first? A long damn time.

I'm not saying Callahan or Fran had the same type of solid records year-in, year-out or saying they'd win the MNC if we gave them 20 years. This type of behavior is not why they have their titles.

I guess you are one of the guys that thought they were amazing for firing Solich?

I also find it amusing that despite the rumors about our coaching situation, you act like nothing is being done just because information hasn't leaked to the public.
Jim01
AG
Husker, where is there announcement of the press conference?
AnimalA96
Charlie Strong from UF
Husker
The announcement was made by ESPNU. No confirmation from local media in Lincoln, though...
HumanitariAg
AG
Good post Professional Ag.
Tusker88
AG
NU MNC directly related to the unlimited prop 48s allowed by the Big 8. Big 12 rules changes were a reason for NUs decline.
Wakebrad
AG
Link?
superunknown
AG
Getting a "head start" on a coaching search 6 weeks before your season ends....yeah, sounds like a good idea. Wait till A&M has a coach someone wants to take and decides to start making contact mid-season.

Those of you who think "Oh, we'll never lose a coach, we can offer everything!" remind me what happened to the former basketball coach.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Can a team hire another team's assistant coach in the middle of the season? For example, can Nebraska actually hire Pellini NOW if they want him?
Basketball and Chain
AG
Pelini would not leave LSU right now. Not if he has any sort of dignity or honor. LSU is competing for a SEC title, and they have a chance at the national championship still. I could see him leaving after the SEC championship game, but leaving before then would be chicken in my opinion. If a coach is fired now or after the season doesn't matter because no one will be hiring anyone until their new coach's season is finished unless he is out of coaching at the present time.
Syd_X_Barrett
quote:
I prefer the way we are handling our business. Fran is a good coach that didn't work out.

Are you implying that Fran is a better coach than Callahan? Fran has a few good wins in his entire career & 1 bowl game win on LT's back over a horrible USC team.

Callahan has coached in the SB, actually beat Fran with an inferior team at Kyle, beat Michigan in a bowl game, played Auburn to the wire last year and has outrecruited him the last few years.

There really isn't much comparison between the 2 and Nebraska is doing the right thing. Once a coach has been hammered 3-4 times, you don't need to wait for 10 more to say bye. They aren't dragging their feet with a coach who has a MUCH better resume than ours.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Meanwhile $BB messes around with nothing until all the best are gone before the end of the season. Get on the damn phone!
Citizen Reign
I can think of two reasons NU is doing this, and both appear to be valid.

1. They know who they want and they are not going to let anyone else get him.

2. They can avoid a recruiting mess. Save as many recruits as possible. Get quality replacements for the recruits that bail. Recruits that fit the new system.

hopefully BB will do the same with out all the drama.
Laddy
AG
Don't you think BB is already quietly talking to people? Come on, give him a little bit of credit.

edit: for Ishmael-ag

[This message has been edited by sloth05 (edited 10/17/2007 3:40p).]
cs69ag
AG
come on...you don't know what Byrne is doing...but, he will do it in a classy way...he likely already has the buyout
done with Fran, and may have a coach lined up to be announced right after t+1...kfc was gone on a friday, and by Sat. night Byrne had Turge committed! Keep the faith and let Byrne do his thing!!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.