Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The latest on "As Nebraska Turns"

9,280 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by McNasty
navy57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
blaylockAg wrote, in part:

quote:
The Nebraska team really looks as if it gave up on the coach the last couple of weeks, and it really seems as if bringing in a new coach may actually do them good... we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I had to stop watching ours at the half. I couldn't tell if they'd given up or not.

I hate for this to just keep dragging on. I think it'd be better for all concerned if somebody or other got off the dime and did something.

At Auburn 10 seasons back, Terry Bowden apparently decided that he wasn't going to be rehired and QUIT on his team after 6 games, If Fran's going to be let go at the end of the season, BB should make that known to Fran and let Fran announce thatnhe's resigning after our last game.

Gig 'Em, Aggies !!
Basketball and Chain
AG
Alright since everyone is overreacting here, please answer this for me:

(1) How do any of you know what Byrne is or is not doing? How do you know who Byrne has contacted or wants to contact?

(2) Why do you think any coach would leave his team midseason to go to another school?

(3) How will this help recruiting? Will they call the recruits up and tell them that they already know who they are hiring but can't announce it for 6 weeks?

(4) If Nebraska is focusing on Pelini, what makes you think that Byrne even wants him? As of yesterday I was hearing someone else had the inside track on the head job there by the way.

There are a lot of very good candidates out there, and no coach or coordinator will leave his current team while they are in the thick of a conference/national championship race. Some of you have completely lost sight of reality just because Nebraska fires a coach midseason. You DO NOT have to fire your head coach to start putting out feelers or negotiating with someone else.

Husker
LOL. There is no press conference tonight. ESPNU had yesterday's info rolling across their ticker.
BRP
Husker.
LOYAL AG
AG
Folks I am not even remotely impressed by Nebraska's very public handing of this mess. I don't need to see our dirty laundry aired this way and were I a Husker I'd be embarrassed. Let's let Byrne handle this the way he has done the rest of his hires. He hasn't let us down yet.
Wakebrad
AG
quote:
Folks I am not even remotely impressed by Nebraska's very public handing of this mess. I don't need to see our dirty laundry aired this way and were I a Husker I'd be embarrassed. Let's let Byrne handle this the way he has done the rest of his hires. He hasn't let us down yet.

I agree. I would rather this be done behind the scenes. Byrne is in a better position to evaluate candidates than just about anyone else and he has a stellar track record.
Husker
As long as all the loudmouth boosters keep their mouths shut when everything finally goes down. That's who leaked our news.

ESPNU really got Husker fans worked up today when they rolled the press conference announcement on their ticker. :-)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Is this such a mess that we could actually beat NU this weekend, be bowl eligible and maybe beat KU at home, sitting at 7-2 (4-1) and playing Ou the next weekend for the Big12 South lead?

I'm not suggesting any of this is a good thing in the long-term. But NU may be so screwed up we win the game this week.

Is the winner of that game really winning anything except false hope and maybe a low bowl?
HDeathstar
Why not sign someone now and then he takes over after the season. Do not know why they need to fire the coach mid season, unless they can do better.

Nebraska: Bo says yes I will accept, signs a contract to start at the end of the season. Tells LSU he has accepted another job and is resigning at the end of the season. (LSU can let him go voluntaily or not at that point). Neb locks in their coach before everyone else, and LSU keeps their coach till the end of season.

Coaching should be just like other jobs. Nice working with you, here is my two weeks notice.

this is not elementary football teams.

take the money and provide for your family. Just make sure you do not look to bad and ruin your recruiting.

NebrAggie
HUSKER: Hey Bro...Blackshirts stripped TODAY...

Rumor is that TO got some rumors flowing to "see who the leakers were". Do not know if that is true or not, but it did make an ESPN ticker, albeit ESPNU...

Huskerpedia BBS is in total meltmode.

I can hear the Debbie Downer now in the Post Game presser if NU whips them (not that I expect it).

"We were just ONE FIRING away..."
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

Rumor is that TO got some rumors flowing to "see who the leakers were". Do not know if that is true or not, but it did make an ESPN ticker, albeit ESPNU...

Why is Terrell Owens involved in NU problems????
BillE1976
AG
No AD is going to allow you to talk to his HC or Asst Coaches during the season. There can be exploratory discussions thru 3rd parties during the season. But any coach under contract cannot sign another contract until his ad HAS ok'D it. No details can be worked out. Waiting until the end of the season hurts us in no way. Playing everything out in public like NU is doing does hurt.
McNasty
AG
Has a current coach ever publicly signed a contract with another team during a season?
heddy Lamarr
AG
no way a a DC under contract is talking to another school during the season w/o the permission of the school and the HC - if NU had permission it would be public - this is crap.
superunknown
AG
quote:
Has a current coach ever publicly signed a contract with another team during a season?

Not that I know of, and if that becomes a trend (and God forbid, if A&M would start something that classless and trashy) I'd pretty much be done with college athletics.

At least in the pros, you know everyone's doing everything for money.
NebrAggie
WOW mchensel...so original...Don't know why I did not think of that...geez. let me get my popcorn.
BRP
Hell hath no fury like a corn's scorn.

[This message has been edited by BRP (edited 10/17/2007 4:47p).]

[This message has been edited by BRP (edited 10/17/2007 4:47p).]
Dirt 05
AG
Didn't Mike Stoops take the Arizona or Arizona St. job and leave OU after the Big XII championship prior to the national championship game?
Professor
Mackovic flushed tech before their bowl bid to go to tu.
WestTxAg06
AG
Don't you mean McWilliams?
Professor
Yeah, sorry, TexAgs is ruining my memorability.
Iowaggie
AG
Osborne has said he and Callahan will talk at the end of the season. No way short of a scandal is BC gone beforehand.
Idk3
AG
In recent years the annoucement of a coach leaving for another program happens after the regular season. Then they decide whether they coach the team in a bowl game or not.

Urban did this w/ Utah. Accepted the UF job a few weeks before the Fiesta, but still coached the Utes in the bowl.

Mike Stoops accepted the Arz job and decided it would be better not to coach OU in the Bowl game. Also, I do think it was known he was leaving for the job before the B12 champ game. Since, Bob and Mike are brothers I'm sure this was a little different situation.
McNasty
AG
ttt

Remember when some wanted Muschamp for HC?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.