* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *

68,295 Views | 1462 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by OregonAggie
YNWA.2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And there is the studs up challenge on Mac Allister that goes unpunished. I had that one on my bingo card
-FTA c/o 2013
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
Ffs
hoosierAG
AG
They are just so bad right now. It's hard to comprehend what's happened in the last month.
ChipFTAC01
hoosierAG
AG
Always love a Robbo goal
jeffk
AG
I demand everyone find a replay of the Gakpo shot that resulted in that OG.
hoosierAG
AG
Defense is just pathetic -just dominating second half and concede the one chance WH has had
hoosierAG
AG
Salah and Klopp contentious on the sideline right before he came in. Good times.
Crispin Torque
Salah and Klopp going at it on the sideline! Never seen that before.

Nunez on for 5 minutes and up already sick of seeing him.

This season can't end soon enough. Hopefully we don't blow top 4.
jeffk
AG
TAA has been godawful defending balls in the air since he returned.
hoosierAG
AG
Yeah, those subs were not ideal. And agree on top 4….way we are playing with Villa, Spurs, and Wolves left- it's gonna be close
jeffk
AG
Y'all think Mo just didn't like being such a late sub?
Crispin Torque
If Spurs takes all 18 points the rest of the way then Liverpool need 4 more to maintain top four. Low probability we don't end up in CL, but the way this team is playing right now I won't take it for granted.
Furlock Bones
AG
Naw. They were arguing over whether Seychelles or Bali is a better vacation spot.
jeffk
AG
This is good. I was hoping a fan with a lot of experience observing his players and manager squabbling would chime in.
wangus12
AG
hoosierAG said:

They are just so bad right now. It's hard to comprehend what's happened in the last month.
Its epically bad right now. Arsenal have had calls against Wolves and Chelsea that were definite reds and neither ended up being yellows even after VAR review. They're ****ing terrible.
YNWA.2013
I think the Salah- Klopp scenes are being blown out of proportion. Salah wants to play every minute of every game in every season. That's exactly what you want from an elite footballer. Klopp, as the manager, has to make the personnel decisions to keep players happy and refreshed. If that's even what they were discussing, I have no problem with it either way. I think of the Salah - Mane spat from a few seasons ago. People blew that **** out of proportion too.
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
The most egregious thing that happened in that game was Anthony Taylor blowing dead a live ball. Very high likelihood Gakpo puts that away to give us all three points. Not that we deserve to win the title after the last 3-4 weeks, but that's another two points dropped because of poor refereeing decisions. Adding to the 1-3 points dropped vs Spurs bc of the Diaz goal, the 2 points dropped vs Arsenal bc of the Odegaard handball, the 2 points vs City after a studs to the chest challenge on Mac Allister, we're talking at least 7 points?!
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
AG
Yeah, the GK was incredulous when he started calling the med team on after the call. He completely blew it.

Hard as it is, they've been so bad for so many teams it's hard to feel singled out. But still…
YNWA.2013
I have never seen the referee tell a player they needed treatment and to go down
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

I think the Salah- Klopp scenes are being blown out of proportion. Salah wants to play every minute of every game in every season. That's exactly what you want from an elite footballer. Klopp, as the manager, has to make the personnel decisions to keep players happy and refreshed. If that's even what they were discussing, I have no problem with it either way. I think of the Salah - Mane spat from a few seasons ago. People blew that **** out of proportion too.

I'm pretty confident that Klopp told him "go get us a winner" or somesuch and then Mo responded with "well, I should have been starting instead of getting ten minutes then!" It's not a big deal. Season just needs to conclude quickly. Everyone is worn down and frustrated.
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, the GK was incredulous when he started calling the med team on after the call. He completely blew it.

Hard as it is, they've been so bad for so many teams it's hard to feel singled out. But still…

Yeah I'm sure all top teams have legit gripes on dropped points, hard to really say just Liverpool gets extra and nobody else would

They've been awful all season
jeffk
AG
Good read this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/26/arne-slot-liverpool-feyenoord-philosophy?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Out in Left Field
AG
jeffk
AG
Another good read here:

Quote:

And yet these past couple of weeks have meant that Klopp has ended his time at Liverpool with the sort of season that has been characteristic of his career. With Mainz, with Borussia Dortmund and with Liverpool, he has always been fighting against the odds. He has always had at least one far better-resourced opponent to struggle with, and yet at the same time he has narrowly missed the prize remarkably often.

With Liverpool he won the Champions League but also lost in three European finals. He ended the league title drought but also finished second twice; this season is likely to be his second third-place finish. With Dortmund, he won the Bundesliga twice but finished second twice. He won the Pokal once but twice lost in the final and also lost in the Champions League final. With Mainz, there were two agonising near-misses for promotion (they took two points from their final three games in 2001-02 and were undone by a three-goal goal-difference swing in the final 10 minutes the following year) before it was secured.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/29/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-premier-league-champions-arne-slot
YNWA.2013
Klopp really has been unlucky to have gone up against a well-resourced Pep Guardiola. Crazy to think that basically if 6 results in his almost 9-year tenure had gone the other way (2016 League Cup Final, 2016 Europa League Final, 2018 CL Final, 2019 PL at City, 2022 PL at Chelsea, 2022 CL Final), he'd have 6 more trophies to go with the 7 he has.

2016 League Cup final was a penalty shootout loss to Man City
2016 EL Final vs Sevilla was a game we were in control at the half and a game we should have won
2018 CL Final was Ramos assaulted Salah and Karius disaster. The less said, the better.
2019 PL at City was the Stones goal line clearance and our only loss that season. We end up with 97 (!!!) points and miss the title by a single point
2022 PL at Chelsea was when we were leading 2-0 but Chelsea had two shots at the end of the half, the second of which was a crazy Kovacic goal. We end up with 92 points and miss the title by a single point.
2022 CL Final was when Courtois played the best game of his life and the best GK performance in a CL Final ever.

I know this is through red-tinted glasses and who knows how the rest of the season/games are played out if these results change, a butterfly effect if you will. But I think it highlights the immense impact Klopp has had on this club. He flipped a switch in Liverpool that had been turned off for 25+ years. Yes we won the odd trophy here and there and we'd make deep runs in CL, but consistently making Cup finals and being in title races over the last (just under a) decade is a credit to Klopp and his staff. I will miss this wonderful human being leading my favorite club and I look forward to the day his statue is unveiled outside Anfield
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
On an unrelated note, The Athletic are reporting that Liverpool have no plans to sell Salah this summer and are instead looking to extend his contract beyond Summer 2025
-FTA c/o 2013
OregonAggie
AG
I think this is a bad idea. His value will continue to go down…but this is apparently what we do.
powerbelly
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

On an unrelated note, The Athletic are reporting that Liverpool have no plans to sell Salah this summer and are instead looking to extend his contract beyond Summer 2025
Hopefully it's just public posturing and we are talking to move him.
OregonAggie
AG
powerbelly said:

YNWA.2013 said:

Hopefully it's just public posturing and we are talking to move him.

I was listening to the Redmen Podcast and they mentioned this too. They also said that Slot probably wants him because he might be the best player he ever coaches and that would be hard to give up.
jeffk
AG
I'm pretty ambivalent about it at this point. Mo is my favorite player, but he's aging and expensive and if he doesn't want to hang around then I don't want to force him to do so.
YNWA.2013
I like Salah. I still think he has something left in the tank. A new coach might light another fuse in him. But he'll need a new contract if he is to stay past this summer. And his agent just seems like a pain to deal with.
-FTA c/o 2013
FriedTex
AG
I think he has one more 30 goal season in him
YNWA.2013
Have y'all seen the rumored kits for next season? I know these have been leaked for a while, but I don't think we've discussed them on this thread.

2024-25 LFC Home Kit (Leaked)

2024-25 LFC Away Kit (Leaked)

2024-25 3rd Home Kit (Leaked)

- The home kit is meh, imo. Not a fan of that collar and I think the yellow on the flanks looks weird.
- I think the away kit is supposed to be a richer teal than the picture portrays. Overall, a nice kit.
- I am torn on the 3rd kit. I like having a white kit, I'm a fan of the collar, and the Nike swoosh itself even looks cool with the double swoosh in red and yellow. But the vertical swoosh is kind of throwing me off. Otherwise, I think it's a solid kit.
-FTA c/o 2013
eiggA2002
AG
That away kit is absolute fire!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.