***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

141,329 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MW03 said:

Kyrie is the fastest dude ever. Meanwhile, Luka moves in slo-mo. This is going to be wild to watch.
We have dudes that can score on the fast break, we could use some easy buckets mixed in
MW03
AG
Oh I mean out of the half court iso. It's going to fun watching guys try to adjust between the knuckle curve and a Mariano Rivera fastball in the same possession.
PatAg
AG
**** the clippers forever
PatAg
AG
MW03 said:

Oh I mean out of the half court iso. It's going to fun watching guys try to adjust between the knuckle curve and a Mariano Rivera fastball in the same possession.
Yea, and Kyrie can knock down catch and shoot 3s.

We'll see about all the rest of it, but I feel confident in the basketball part
TheMasterplan
zgolfz85
AG
nice stat line for game 1
MW03
AG
I don't think I've ever seen Luka as hyped and engaged while sitting as he was tonight. That's something.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen him as excited as he was when Theo hit that three. Those dudes love Pinson so much. All vibes but dude can play. I think clearing the runway a little for Hardy, Green, and even Theo might be a big plus for this team.
MW03
AG
Yeah they basketball part is going to be beautiful. I'm not even sweating the backcourt defense.
Grapesoda2525
Always nice to beat that clipper ass.
zgolfz85
AG
Damnit kd to suns
shack009
AG
Someone on twitter: Mavs ran the west for 30 minutes.
shack009
AG
The freaking Suns just couldn't let us have this one night.
PatAg
AG
Are we sure Durant is still going to be Durant?
Suns are broken and giving up some important players on their team
Chris Paul is over the hill
Booker is a *****
petebaker
PatAg said:

Booker is a *****
Clippers want Westbrook
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

Booker is a *****

True that Chris Paul has fallen off a cliff this year and Bridges is a very good player. But this just feels like a kick in the nuts.
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

Booker is a *****
Did they really give up anyone important? Seems like they acquired KD for role players and draft picks.
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

Booker is a *****
Did they really give up anyone important? Seems like they acquired KD for role players and draft picks.

Bridges is a very good player (I believe they gave him the max last offseason) and Cam Johnson was a starter for them. They replace those two in the lineup with KD and TJ Warren.
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

Booker is a *****

Bridges is a very good player (I believe they gave him the max last offseason) and Cam Johnson was a starter for them. They replace those two in the lineup with KD and TJ Warren.
Also giving up 4 unprotected picks
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

shack009 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

Booker is a *****

Also giving up 4 unprotected picks

Correct, and one pick swap, I think I saw. I was just talking about their lineup this year.
jeffdjohnson
I think KDs game will age well. I could definitely see him still hitting mid-range pull-ups in 4 years at age 38. CP3 is already declining but Booker / KD will be a lethal offensive engine for the next 4 years. It is a trade the Suns had to make, but it is riskier even than what the Mavs gave up. The Mavs are only out one future pick and could pivot to a sign-and-trade this summer if nothing else.

To me the main question today is what the hell are the Mavs doing with Christian Wood? When they started him before he broke his thumb he was producing well and the Mavs were on a nice winning stretch. Now he is back on the bench for the last 2 games and kind of sulking again. I think Wood is a good player, but if you aren't going to play him (or find an agreement on an extension) then I don't think you have a choice but to trade him today.
Zachary Klement
AG
petebaker said:

PatAg said:

Booker is a *****
Clippers want Westbrook
They can have him!
J.P. 03
AG
I saw this morning that Jae Crowder was part of the package that went to Brooklyn, but they can't possibly have much use for him now. Wouldn't mind the Mavs taking a shot at bringing him back.
Guitarsoup
AG
J.P. 03 said:

I saw this morning that Jae Crowder was part of the package that went to Brooklyn, but they can't possibly have much use for him now. Wouldn't mind the Mavs taking a shot at bringing him back.
Crowder has sat the entire year pouting in the corner.Unless Brooklyn cuts him, you need to find 10mm to trade out for him.
shack009
AG
Kidd played Wood last night like he is not even on the team anymore. I'd say it's a 99% chance he isn't on the Mavs in a few hours.
shack009
AG
The difference in the deals is that KD is under contract for the next 3 seasons. That's a much more valuable asset than potential cap space or a potential sign/trade.

We as Mavs fans should understand that better than anybody. When we have cap space we may as well have nothing.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

The difference in the deals is that KD is under contract for the next 3 seasons. That's a much more valuable asset than potential cap space or a potential sign/trade.

We as Mavs fans should understand that better than anybody. When we have cap space we may as well have nothing.
KD looks great when he is on the court, but he turns 35 before next season tips off, has missed over 150 games over the past three seasons and is guaranteed $150,000,000 over the next three seasons.

Great he is under contract, but that's a ****ton of money for a guy that can't stay healthy and can't stay happy anywhere.
shack009
AG
Hey, I live in PHX and can't stand the suns (mostly their fans). I would love for this to blow up in their face.

But they are in a good spot now. No denying that. They have three very good players on their team for the next 3 years (in theory). If Kyrie leaves the Mavs at the alter this off-season the Mavs will have Luke plus a roster that the Pistons wouldn't trade for going in to next season.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Hey, I live in PHX and can't stand the suns (mostly their fans). I would love for this to blow up in their face.

But they are in a good spot now. No denying that. They have three very good players on their team for the next 3 years (in theory). If Kyrie leaves the Mavs at the alter this off-season the Mavs will have Luke plus a roster that the Pistons wouldn't trade for going in to next season.
Yeah, they have very talented players.... when healthy.

PG: Chris Paul - almost 38yo - 14/9/1.5 on 43/39/83 shooting. Still pretty great.
SG: Booker 26yo - 27/6/5 on 48/37/85 shooting
SF: Torrey Craig - 8/6 on 46/40 shooting in just 25mpg. Will get a lot more minutes with Bridges gone
PF: Durant. 29/6/5 this year on 56/38/93 shooting.
C: Ayton - 18/10 on 59% shooting and has improved his mid-range touch.

Bench:

Jock Landale. 7/4 in just 14mpg. That's about 17/10 per 36
Biyombo: about 4/4 with 1.3b in 14mpg. That's 10/10/3.4 per 36.

Stretch:
Dario Saric: 5/4 in 14mpg coming back from ACL tear. Shooting 43/39. 15/10/4 per 36.

Wing:
Damian Lee: 9/3 in 22mpg. Leading league at 47% from 3. 45/47/91 shooting. 15/5 per 36.
Landry Schmet: 9/2/2 in 21mpg. 38/38/91 shooting. Hitting 47% on corner three and 89% of his threes are assisted. Just put him in the corner and feed him. Should get lots of open shots on this team

Lead:
Cam Payne (still out with foot injury) 12/5 on 41/38 shooting in just 24mpg. 18/8 per 36.

Lots of guys with troubling injury histories (Durant, Booker, Paul, Payne, Saric) but when healthy, that is a ton of fire power. I feel like they could probably use another big defender, but its gonna be hard for other teams to keep up with that type of scoring.

This offseason, only Durant, Booker, Ayton, Paul (30mm, 1/2 guaranteed), Schamet and Payne (6.5mm, but just 2mm guaranteed) are under contract. Paul's becomes fully guaranteed before free agency if they don't cut him, which they won't.

Just those 6 players put them at 163.8mm - Luxury tax threshold is 163mm. This summer is gonna be crazy to see.
Goldie Wilson
Thanks for the breakdown. Will be interesting to watch whether this is a KD to GSW situation, or more of a KD to BKN situation.
shack009
AG
For sure. They may have got lucky by having all their injuries early in the year. They will be healthy and starting to gel down the stretch. And the same goes for the Mavs (fingers crossed).
zgolfz85
AG
we have to do something more today. I do not like losing wood for nothing and we have to add some d
rsf0626
i wouldnt mind keeping Wood since it doesnt seem he really has much trade value and can be a positive for this team

THJ is a negative asset and will ne very difficult to move
rsf0626
shack009
AG
Milwaukee just acquired Crowder for 5 second rounders, so there goes that ship. I would not have been very thrilled if we got Crowder, so I'm ok with this.
shack009
AG
rsf0626 said:

i wouldnt mind keeping Wood since it doesnt seem he really has much trade value and can be a positive for this team

THJ is a negative asset and will ne very difficult to move

Hopefully teams saw that dagger 3 last night and didn't watch any of our other games.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Milwaukee just acquired Crowder for 5 second rounders, so there goes that ship. I would not have been very thrilled if we got Crowder, so I'm ok with this.
DAMNIT

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.