Is anyone watching the playoffs?

30,830 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Iowaggie
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I'm torn on this subject, because I think taking a charge has gotten out of control. Players dont even try to defend anymore on defense, and practice falling down more than challenging the shot.

BUT

offensive players also go overboard and get away with basically just diving into the defender and getting away with it, or drawing blocking fouls.
and in this videos case, I dont think you should be rewarded for taking off from that far away with a defender directly in your way still.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Yeah if someone did that to LeHair club for men he would be crying for weeks
The Porkchop Express
PatAg said:

I'm torn on this subject, because I think taking a charge has gotten out of control. Players dont even try to defend anymore on defense, and practice falling down more than challenging the shot.

BUT

offensive players also go overboard and get away with basically just diving into the defender and getting away with it, or drawing blocking fouls.
and in this videos case, I dont think you should be rewarded for taking off from that far away with a defender directly in your way still.
Serious question. Is the blow to the head going to keep LeBron from reading the first page of more books?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
WES2006AG
AG
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/nba-playoffs-2023-tv-ratings-opening-weekend-1235391225/

This article is also from before the Kings-Warriors had 10.4 million viewers on Sunday.

People seem to be watching.
CFTXAG10
AG
Trae Young 4th quarter is a movie
The Porkchop Express
CFTXAG10 said:

Trae Young 4th quarter is a movie
WOW 30 foot 3
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Damn Trae
Iowaggie
AG
PatAg said:

BUT

I hate the call because I think 80% of the time, the refs are mentally calculating superstar status on the foul call.

If that is Rui Hachimura or Davis Bertans instead of LeBron, the call is a block in favor of Ja.
If that is LeBron on the drive and Jose Alvarado on defense, it might get reviewed for a flagrant undercut as the officials watch LeBron writhe in pain on the floor and check for blood.

I find it amazing that LeBron can sit up like the Undertaker after taking that obvious contact whereas othertimes he is in the most painful face grimace mode on non-contact.

toucan82
PLAYOFF JIMMY!!!!!!
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
After the Golden State Warriors defeated the Sacramento Kings 123-116 in Sacramento, they have extended their NBA record of 28 consecutive playoff series of winning at least one road game. The No. 6 defending champion Warriors have an opportunity to close out the first round over the No. 3 Kings in Game 6 at home. If the No. 7 Los Angeles Lakers also beat the No. 2 Memphis Grizzlies, the No. 6 Warriors will have home court advantage over the No. 7 Lakers. I think this will be the first ever No. 6 vs No. 7 in the conference semifinals.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
The Bucks have what, three dudes who got actual DPOY votes this year and Jimmy Butler went nuclear on all of them. Legitimately unbelievable.
Guitarsoup
AG
And how about Duncan Robinson suddenly remembering how to shoot? He was 14-19 from 3 against the Bucks.
CFTXAG10
AG
Went to bed at the end of the third thinking for sure the Bucks pushed it another game. Damn son.
Iowaggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

The Bucks have what, three dudes who got actual DPOY votes this year and Jimmy Butler went nuclear on all of them. Legitimately unbelievable.

With a 2 point lead, why do you take one of those DPOY candidates out for the end of regulation play?
They put Connaughton in for Brooke Lopez, and Connaughton was the guy that Butler cleared out for the final bucket.

And why not take a timeout?

The Porkchop Express

Jimmy Butler vs. the Bucks is shades of Baron Davis vs. the Mavs back in 2007

Un-friggin-stoppable

Guitarsoup
AG
8 def 1 - Miami
5 def 4 - New York
3 def 6 - Philly
2 def 7 - Boston
1 def 8 - Denver
4 def 5 - Phoenix
6 def 3 - Golden State
7 def 2 - LA Lakers

It looks like we are going to have seeds 1-8 represented in the second round if Boston, Golden State, and the Lakers close out. I doubt that has ever happened.
AG@RICE
AG
Iowaggie said:

With a 2 point lead, why do you take one of those DPOY candidates out for the end of regulation play?
They put Connaughton in for Brooke Lopez, and Connaughton was the guy that Butler cleared out for the final bucket.

Coach Bud put on a clinic of crappy coaching in that series. I actually think he cost them at least 2 different games. If he isn't fired this off-season I'd be extremely surprised.
Guitarsoup
AG
Anthony Edwards apparently liked a IG post that said "I will never forgive the Timberwolves for that stupid trade"
QBCade
AG
AG@RICE said:

Iowaggie said:

Coach Bud put on a clinic of crappy coaching in that series. I actually think he cost them at least 2 different games. If he isn't fired this off-season I'd be extremely surprised.

I know they aren't going to call it on a last second ply, but huge push off by Jimmy buckets there
Iowaggie
AG
QBCade said:

AG@RICE said:

Iowaggie said:

I know they aren't going to call it on a last second ply, but huge push off by Jimmy buckets there

I think its funny that in the two minute report said it was an incorrect no call, as a foul should have been called on Pat Connaughton. (That's not a joke)
Comment: Connaughton (MIL) holds Butler's (MIA) arm before Butler pushes off to receive the pass.

And of course, the supporting video in 2MR has the angle where you can't see anything but Connaughton getting pushed to ground. But in this angle......

But yes, you can see the hold in this angle. Either way, no issue with nothing being called.

Guitarsoup
AG
Patty fouled first, so that would be the foul called.
txagman1998
AG
Really interesting discussion from the NBA on TNT crew regarding how we define failure, based on the Milwaukee beat writer's question to Giannis following the Bucks upset series loss to the Heat. The video is about 15 minutes long, but I thought it was very thought provoking and well worth a listen.

Iowaggie
AG
We're any Aggie football seasons or coaches mentioned?
txagman1998
AG
LOL, yeah ROI's on Aggie football coaches haven't been great recently.
Guitarsoup
AG
20 point win for Sacramento to take the NoCal Championship to game 7.

https://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=401541235
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I streamed the Sacramento Kings vs Golden State Warriors Game 6 on my laptop while watching the NFL draft on ABC. With home court advantage in Game 6, the Warriors had a golden opportunity to eliminate the Kings, but they fell flat and lost by 19 points at home. The defending champion Warriors will have to win in Sacramento again to advance to the Western Conference Semifinals. It's crazy how the home team won each of the first 4 games, but the road team has won the last 2 games. As a Warriors fan, I hope that trend continues.
QBCade
AG
GSW was completely flat all game. Only person with any juice was Currry
The Porkchop Express
Memphis getting the **** kicked out of it in LA.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
It was great to watch the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors bounce back from an embarrassing 118-99 loss to the Sacramento Kings in Game 6 at home by dominating the Sacramento Kings 120-100 in Game 7 on the road to advance to the Western Conference Semifinals. After the Kings led the Warriors 58-56 at halftime, the Warriors outscored the Kings 64-42 in the second half. As a result of the No. 6 Warriors defeating the No. 3 Sacramento Kings 4-3 and the No. 7 Los Angeles Lakers defeating the No. 2 Memphis Grizzlies 4-2, the No. 6 Warriors will get home court advantage over the No. 7 Lakers in the Western Conference Semifinals. The Warriors will get to stay in California for the 2nd straight playoff series. I noticed several other trends of the first ever "Battle of NorCal" playoffs.

1. The home team won the first 4 games, but the road team won the last 3 games of this series.

2. Warriors head coach Steve Kerr has improved to 19-0 in playoff series in the Western conference playoffs before the NBA finals.

3. Steph Curry scored 50 points, which was both a career playoff high and the record for an NBA playoff Game 7.

QBCade
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

It was great to watch the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors bounce back from an embarrassing 118-99 loss to the Sacramento Kings in Game 6 at home by dominating the Sacramento Kings 120-100 in Game 7 on the road to advance to the Western Conference Semifinals. After the Kings led the Warriors 58-56 at halftime, the Warriors outscored the Kings 64-42 in the second half. As a result of the No. 3 Warriors defeating the Sacramento Kings 4-3 and the No. 7 Los Angeles Lakers defeating the No. 2 Memphis Grizzlies 4-2, the No. 6 Warriors will get home court advantage over the No. 7 Lakers in the Western Conference Semifinals. I noticed several other trends of the first ever "Battle of NorCal" playoffs.

1. The home team won the first 4 games, but the road team won the last 3 games of this series.

2. Warriors head coach Steve Kerr has improved to 19-0 in playoff series in the Western conference playoffs before the NBA finals.

3. Steph Curry scored 50 points, which was both a career playoff high and the record for an NBA playoff Game 7.

Curry was just amazing. He had to be as he didn't get a lot of help on offense. GSW D was amazing tho as was Looney's rebounding.
GigEmMortis
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

It was great to watch the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors bounce back

But was it, though?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Steph a top ten player of all-time or no?
The Porkchop Express
GigEmMortis said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

It was great to watch the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors bounce back

But was it, though?
Stop antagonizing ChatGPT.
Guitarsoup
AG

Resume is pretty great.
2x MVP
4x Champ and 6x Finals appearances
Steals Title
2x Scoring title
8x All-NBA
Good defender

Negatives would be only 1 of 4 Finals MVPs. You could debate one of Durant's and Iggy's FMVPs. Also, with the exception of Magic, the rest of the top 10 are probably better defenders.

Bill Simmons puts Curry ahead of Shaq, Durant, Moses, Oscar, West, and Hakeem and into the top 10 after last year's title.
The Porkchop Express
Guitarsoup said:

Resume is pretty great.
2x MVP
4x Champ and 6x Finals appearances
Steals Title
2x Scoring title
8x All-NBA
Good defender

Negatives would be only 1 of 4 Finals MVPs. You could debate one of Durant's and Iggy's FMVPs. Also, with the exception of Magic, the rest of the top 10 are probably better defenders.

Bill Simmons puts Curry ahead of Shaq, Durant, Moses, Oscar, West, and Hakeem and into the top 10 after last year's title.
In no order,

Jordan
Magic
Bird
LeBron
Kareem
Wilt
Bill Russell
Kobe
Duncan

That's 9.
Robertson averaged a triple double one season, led the league in assists 7 ties and in scoring once, but was only 1-1 in the Finals.
Shaq was close to unstoppable at his peak, but was never able to fix his glaring weakness at the FT line, or even markedly improve on it except for the outlier 2002/2003 seasons.
Hakeem is my hometown biased choice but has 2 titles and 1 MVP compared to Curry's wealth of riches there.
Jerry West was amazing but also just 1 title.
Durant doesn't belong in the conversation at all. He's Scottie Pippen in terms of clutch performances and heart.

What might be most intriguing about Curry is that almost everyone else on that list was unbelievable right away - except Kobe IIRC. He took a few years to get elite. With the win today, he's now 23-4 in playoff series in his career. That's pretty insane.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.