Is anyone watching the playoffs?

30,567 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Iowaggie
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's more impactful than Dirk ever dreamed of being. No offense to Dirk, but Jokic doesn't even need to score to carry his team.
M.C. Swag
AG
Dirk just had 11 straight years of 50+ win seasons at the peak of the Western conference. In the HISTORY of the NBA, only 3x has a franchise stacked 50+ wins in consecutive seasons for more than 10 seasons:
1- Spurs (00-17)
2- Showtime Lakers (80-91)
3- Mavs (01-11)

That's it. Compare the insane list of HALL OF FAME level talent in their primes that contributed to those runs for LA and SA vs what Dirk and the Mavs had. Dirk was basically the best floor raiser the NBA has seen.

Other than that, he he could only dream of winning like Jokic.
Woods Ag
AG
Great.

He's the best shooting PF ever. I didn't say he wasn't a hall of famer and an all time great.

Jokic is right behind him in outside scoring ability, but also is unstoppable inside and he's better at every other facet of the game.

Put another way - you're starting a team today with both players age 28. Who you picking?
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol sorry, I'm protective of Dirk. When you said "he's more impactful than Dirk ever dreamed", my eye twitched.
MGS
The Pilot said:

GrayMatter said:

Guitarsoup said:

Jokic >>>>> Durant.
I don't think America hates Jokic. American doesn't know Jokic. He didn't play college ball and aside from winning a couple of MVP's, he hasn't really done anything.

After winning a championship we can talk about his place in NBA history because it's pretty much still non-existent.

So, no, we shouldn't hold him in the same regard as Magic or Bird. His place in NBA history is just starting to come together; he's not in the same conversation as Olajuwon, Robinson, Russell, Nowitzki, Chamberlin or Shaq, yet.
When did winning back-to-back mvps become a no big deal.
What year did Steve Nash get his second MVP?
Woods Ag
AG
I know I get it! I'm that way with Olajuwon. I thought I should have gone back and toned it down.
AggieEP
GrayMatter said:

AggieEP said:

Hard to take anyone serious saying Jokic hasn't done anything. He's literally the perfect player. Guy wins two straight MVP awards and then actually shoots the ball 3 times less per game this year while having a true shooting % of 70%. Then he goes into the playoffs and he's averaging a triple double on great efficiency. For his playoff career he's a 50/40/80 shooter while dropping in 28 a game. If he keeps this up he pretty much will have just completed the greatest playoff run in the history of the game.

He's a bit of a turd and can get cajoled into using his body to retaliate on the court with silly fouls, but the game itself is as good as there is. Literally some of the most beautiful basketball ever, even my wife who is only a casual fan has started to pick up on the brilliance that ensues every time Jokic gets a rebound and pushes in transition. It's a guaranteed open look almost every single time down the floor.

If I'm starting an NBA team today, I take him 1st and I don't even have to think about it very hard.

He'll win Finals MVP this year and then the losers that like to pretend winning a championship is everything can go find a new player to make snarky comments about how they "haven't done anything."
Loser because I have an opinion? Have much reading comprehension? Is that you Coach Malone?

I never said the Joker hasn't done anything. I was refuting the tweet that "America hates him because he's not Larry or Magic".

I said that America doesn't know Jokic because he hasn't done anything but win two regular season MVP's which we all know is a popularity contest not necessarily the best NBA player. His numbers are gaudy and his accomplishments are growing by the game. He's 28 years old and in the prime of his career, he'll only get better, but I also added that he's nowhere near a great to be in the same breath as Magic or Bird.

You can't tell me that regular season MVP's mean more than Finals MVP's. Even the players don't care about them. All the players that I mentioned before do have Finals MVP's or multiple Finals under their belt so if he wins one then great, he's at Nowitzki's level. You just can't compare a really good player, a superstar in the making to a HOF great with multiple championships or a Finals MVP.

I'll say it again, Jokic is having the single best all around postseason in the history of the NBA. EVER. And it's not like it's out of character for him, this is just who he is if people got to watch him more. He's going to average a triple double while scoring 30 a game for the playoffs.

Jokic is the big and the point on every possession, he controls every part of the nuggets games. And he also fills in as a knock down 3 point shooter when they need that.

Comparisons to other players are silly because he's one of one. Dirk's great, Hakeem's great, MJ, Bird and Magic are all great in their own special ways but Jokic is something different we've never seen.

Basketball likes to assign positions and say someone is the best center of all time for instance, but today things are much more fluid, Jokic isn't defined by a position, he's just an amazing basketball player. He missed averaging a triple double for the season by .2 of an assist, something that only Oscar and Westbrook have done. And he doesn't do it by tossing grenades late in the shot clock, he does it by creating easy looks for his guys.

He's the thing other teams prepare for, and yet he then goes out and dominates and controls the game however he needs to.
blackgoldag11
AG
Heat blowing every opportunity to be in a close game or in the lead
aggiephoenix02
As soon as I turn the game on Joker makes the coolest assist. Or maybe the shot was the coolest? Nah, it was the combo itself that was so neat. (End of the 3rd quarter)
Dan Scott
AG
Aaron Gordon is perfect for this team
aggiephoenix02
It's gonna be a gentleman's sweep…
The Pilot
AG
Nuggets W tonight, parade Thursday.
The Pilot
AG
Bonfired
AG
That was a horrendous review...
aggiephoenix02
What a great game!
gambochaman
AG
This game has been insane
Iowaggie
AG
I think more airtime should have been given to the girlfriends of the Jokiic brothers
gambochaman
AG
The jokic brothers should have been wearing adidas track suits
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Congratulations to the Denver Nuggets for defeating the Miami Heat 94-89 in Game 5 to win the 2023 NBA Finals 4-1 for their first ever NBA Finals championship in their 47-year history in the NBA. The Nuggets finished with a playoff record of 16-4, including 10-1 at home.
proudaggie02
AG
Nuggets!

I'm drinking George T Stagg in the Mile High City!
Seven Costanza
AG
It's kind of crazy that with all of the talent in the league, a team of Jokic/Jamal Murray/Aaron Gordon just coasted to a championship.
Iowaggie
AG
For Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke, it's the fifth championship won by a team he owns since the beginning of 2022.

The Colorado Avalanche won last year's Stanley Cup after the Los Angeles Rams claimed victory over the Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl LVI. Kroenke's Colorado Mammoth won the 2022 National Lacrosse League Cup and one of his esports teams, the Los Angeles Guerrillas won the Call of Duty League last year as well.

Arsenal is set to finish second in the Premier League and return to the Champions League next season.
DTP02
AG
Seven Costanza said:

It's kind of crazy that with all of the talent in the league, a team of Jokic/Jamal Murray/Aaron Gordon just coasted to a championship.

It's only crazy if you don't appreciate how good Jokic is. He's an incredibly impactful player. But he's a goofy looking Serb who doesn't seek out the headlines so he doesn't get his due for his greatness.

He's the easiest guy in the league to build a team around.
StillNotAnAggie
https://instagr.am/p/CtFnYKgOd5-
Seven Costanza
AG
He's great. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like it would have been a great team on paper prior to the start of the season. It's hard to think of a good comp going all the way through the 80s. Maybe the early 2000s Pistons, although they had five semi-big name non-stars. The 2011 Mavs had big name guys (albeit many of the names were near the end of their career) . Actually I guess the Bucks from a couple of years ago were a similar situation to this Nuggets team.
AggieEP
Seven Costanza said:

He's great. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like it would have been a great team on paper prior to the start of the season. It's hard to think of a good comp going all the way through the 80s. Maybe the early 2000s Pistons, although they had five semi-big name non-stars. The 2011 Mavs had big name guys (albeit many of the names were near the end of their career) . Actually I guess the Bucks from a couple of years ago were a similar situation to this Nuggets team.

Jokic is a two time MVP (probably should have won this year too). Meaning, the Nuggets have the best player in the world on their team, so not really that crazy to win the championship when you have the best player in the world on your team. And as mentioned, even less crazy when that player's number one skill is making the game easier for those around him.

The best comp is probably the Spurs where Duncan had a similar effect on those around him. It's silly to compare this Nuggets team to lesser championship teams, if they put it all together next year, they could do a GS like 65 plus win season and run through the playoffs again with ease. Most of the other teams have a lot of roster questions to answer right now. In 3 or 4 years we might be talking about multiple championships for the Nuggets and ranking their place in history.
Seven Costanza
AG
Yeah, I don't mean to say that they weren't dominant or that this was a fluke. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them repeat this next year. I thought about Duncan's teams as a comp, but considered Ginobili and Parker to be big name complementary players that you would associate with a championship level team, but that could very well be me remembering them that way after they had won championships (and we could begin seeing Murray and Gordon in a similar way if Denver has a high level run for several years).
Woods Ag
AG
Murray was turning into something really special and tore his knee and was out for 2 playoff years.

I think they would have won the title last year if he were healthy. I don't know that they would have been ready they year before against the suns or the bucks..

What's fun to think about is whether they keep this team together if Murray is healthy and they fail 2 years ago.. or faulter last year. This year may never have came about.
Carlo4
AG
My goodness this was both hilarious and accurate.
superunknown
AG
Iowaggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Update:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.