***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,061,954 Views | 22247 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I really hope with Singleton playing well, that this puts the kabash on Abreu coming back until he is 110% locked in and ready. Sports are, or at least should be, a meritocracy, and Big Jon has earned his right to lose the job at this point.

Bregman, you're next up. Start producing or hello West Palm Beach
texasaggie2015
AG
You guys don't seriously think they're sending Bregman to West Palm Beach.... do you?
All I do is Nguyen
I mean they just sent their $20mil a year former MVP to WPB, so why not?

I know it most likely wont ever happen, especially after what you've told us, but to say it's a 0% chance would be foolish IMO
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

You guys don't seriously think they're sending Bregman to West Palm Beach.... do you?

No
mwm
You mean Hader pitching by "feel" vs "analytics"?
texasaggie2015
AG
Well I'll say it. There is a 0% chance that happens.

Sending a veteran down there is unprecedented. Manoah and Abreu were very unique situations.
The Porkchop Express
texasaggie2015 said:

No, it's just like a textual meme at this point. Bregman is struggling, Abreu appears to have gotten old and can't hit at all anymore. I felt the Abreu move was him having to prove to the org that he still has the fundamental ability to play baseball.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
redline248
AG
2 singles last night...how did they look for Bregman? Fangraphs had him with 1 hard hit ball. Blind squirrel situation or start of a trend?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Sending a veteran down there is unprecedented. Manoah and Abreu were very unique situations.

While I understand the situations are different due to age there are a lot of similarities. Bregman isn't exactly hitting it on the screws just right at guys. He's been putrid and is costing the team runs and possibly games. His defense hasn't been affected at least.

What's the cut off before something drastic has to be done? Under .100 average? Under .250 obo+? I'm baffled he hasn't gotten a day or two off to "clear his head". Dubon can spell him.
texasaggie2015
AG
He absolutely should get a day or two off. That's why Dubon is on the roster.

I promise you he is not going to West Palm Beach. 0% chance. These situations aren't similar. One guy was mentally broken and the other guy is in a bad slump and still giving you plus defense at a key position.

He got two hits last night. Both were good pieces of hitting. And he also turned a key double play. Maybe that's what he needs to come around.

Sending veteran players in slumps to an instructional complex with 17-18 year old kids isn't something that happens unless there's very unique circumstances and I can only think of two or three times across the entire league in my lifetime that a team has done that. This isn't one of them.
Ag_07
AG
First one was a hard hit line drive to RF. IIRC the second was a seeing eye single up the middle I think.

At this point I'll take it but probably not the start of a trend.
texasaggie2015
AG
First one wasn't hit hard but he poked it opposite field through the hole. Good piece of hitting. The second one was hit over 100mph into left field.
Beat40
Haven't been able to post for a while just because of life, but honestly, it's hard for me not to believe in these guys until they are mathematically eliminated from the postseason. While postseason rationally seems unlikely to happen at this point, having Javier back is just huge to me. As much as I want Bregman to come back to life offensively, the team needs Yordan to get back to his normal self. If that's happening right now, coinciding with Javier coming back, I believe this team could go on a bit of a 7/8 out of 10 type run.

Not giving up that easy. Gotta be like Steve Rodgers - I could do this all day.
texasaggie2015
AG
MLB Exec: Marlins 'Entire Team is Up for Grabs' After Luis Arrez Trade to Padres | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

I can confirm the Astros have discussed Jake Burger as well as Trevor Rogers.

The Astros asked about Burger at the deadline last year as well so there's more interest in him than Rodgers though the interest is real in both.

Burger can play corner infield and is a right handed bat with a career OPS of almost .800. Rogers isn't anything special but would be rotation depth. Both guys have multiple years of team control.
Mathguy64
AG
This is fish or cut bait time in the next 2 weeks.

3 @ Detroit
4 vs Oakland
3 vs Milwaukee
3 vs LAA
3 @ Oakland

If they have any chance they realistically need to 12-4. That's a big ask the way they are playing but if they want to have a chance they have to start digging out if this hole now. That would go from 11 under water to "just" 3. I don't know that this team can turn a switch like other years but that's what it will take.
cc10106
texasaggie2015 said:

Is it as unprecedented as trading JV for Hinch? That was a silly rumor getting thrown on 790 yesterday. Astros fans are getting beyond restless.
texasaggie2015
AG
Oh my. Yeah, after spending several years in sports radio, I can tell you the IQ of the average caller is shockingly low.
The Porkchop Express
texasaggie2015 said:

MLB Exec: Marlins 'Entire Team is Up for Grabs' After Luis Arrez Trade to Padres | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

The Astros asked about Burger at the deadline last year as well so there's more interest in him than Rodgers though the interest is real in both.

Burger can play corner infield and is a right handed bat with a career OPS of almost .800. Rogers isn't anything special but would be rotation depth. Both guys have multiple years of team control.
Can we flip Burger for Cabbage?

Thank you, I'll be here all week.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
All I do is Nguyen
What do you think it would take to acquire those guys? Prospects plus am MLB player? Multiple MLB guys?
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

Oh my. Yeah, after spending several years in sports radio, I can tell you the IQ of the average caller is shockingly low.
What say you mean? I no see problem with opinion they take about bat and ball game.
texasaggie2015
AG
Not a lot honestly. Probably a couple mid-level prospects.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

What about Jake for both?
All I do is Nguyen
Maaaaan Ben came out spttin hot fire this morning about the Yankees and Astros

The Porkchop Express
texasaggie2015 said:

Rodgers fits right into our rotation with his 0-5 record and 6.15 ERA.
cc10106
Imagine being a Marlins fan as they hit the reset button again after just making the playoffs. Astros fans have it so good despite how this season has gone.
texasaggie2015
AG
Rogers had a really, really good 2021. He's been below average ever since. He's a lefty and a groundball guy (hmm Dallas Keuchel?) who at best could revert back to his 2021 form or at worst just be an extra arm to eat innings and isn't worse than Hunter Brown and Spaghetti have been.
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

Mi-level is a top 5 prospect in our org
texasaggie2015
AG
I must be losing my mind. I read this and thought "when in the world did they make the playoffs recently?"

Sure enough they made it last year and my brain has no memory of that.
texasaggie2015
AG
There's a surplus of outfielders down there. I'm not sure what the Marlins need or what they're looking for, but you could afford to give one of them away if it fills a need on your big league roster.

If they land Jake Burger, I think it's safe to assume the Abreu ship has sailed and we'll see him platoon with Jon the rest of the way and get some starts at third to give Bregman rest. And then it gives you an option as a cheap replacement for Bregman after this year.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I promise you he is not going to West Palm Beach. 0% chance. These situations aren't similar. One guy was mentally broken and the other guy is in a bad slump and still giving you plus defense at a key position.

He got two hits last night. Both were good pieces of hitting. And he also turned a key double play. Maybe that's what he needs to come around.

Sending veteran players in slumps to an instructional complex with 17-18 year old kids isn't something that happens unless there's very unique circumstances and I can only think of two or three times across the entire league in my lifetime that a team has done that. This isn't one of them.

I don't have a problem with you repeating it every day, but 99% of the board understands this...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't think I've ever addressed Bregman to West Palm Beach on here
Ag_07
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I don't think I've ever addressed Bregman to West Palm Beach on here

And rightfully so...Because it's not even in the realm of discussion.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Rogers is a nice buy-low candidate. I would trust our old team to fix him. His 4 seam/change-up in 2021 was dominant. Then he fell apart in 2022 and was injured most of 2023. His velo dripped quite a bit. If he can somehow recover it, he could be nasty again.
texasaggie2015
AG

My guy Kenni Gomez.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I don't have a problem with you repeating it every day, but 99% of the board understands this...

Do they though?
First Page Last Page
Page 532 of 636

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.