Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

258,511 Views | 1828 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TTUArmy
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Steelwater if you're on a budget
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
jagvocate
AG
My best recommendation on a safe is secure it to the floor in an out of the way location and don't tell a soul about it. Loose lips sink ships.
Pookers
AG
jagvocate said:

My best recommendation on a safe is secure it to the floor in an out of the way location and don't tell a soul about it. Loose lips sink ships.
This makes things challenging as that means you have to buy one at a local dealer and haul / install it yourself. Lugging around a 600lb safe isn't easy.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Pookers said:

Any of you have any recommendations on safes?
Very well hidden and/or get a TL-rated safe. You can get the latter at a going out of business sale. May cost you $500 for the safe and $500 to move it. Do not settle for some RSC-rated "gun safe".

https://americansecuritysafes.com/learn/burglary-ratings-explained/

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/blogs/news/home-safe-cash-ratings

Good primer: https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/

Deep dive:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Questions-for-AMSEC-TheSafeGuy/46-401046/?page=1
jagvocate
AG
Pookers said:

jagvocate said:

This makes things challenging as that means you have to buy one at a local dealer and haul / install it yourself. Lugging around a 600lb safe isn't easy.
Pimping ain't easy, Pookers. In all seriousness I'm not counting the actual dealer of the safe who'll have your home address from your credit card, delivery, etc.
Pookers
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Pookers said:

Any of you have any recommendations on safes?
Very well hidden and/or get a TL-rated safe. You can get the latter at a going out of business sale. May cost you $500 for the safe and $500 to move it. Do not settle for some RSC-rated "gun safe".

https://americansecuritysafes.com/learn/burglary-ratings-explained/

Good primer: https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/

Deep dive:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Questions-for-AMSEC-TheSafeGuy/46-401046/?page=1
Good info. Much obliged.
Pookers
AG
Another question. Would it be a bad idea to get a decent safe, bolt to the ground, and then if I ever move just sell it with the house? Seems like it might be a bonus that some people might like that could get rolled in to a mortgage.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I see this scenario play out regularly
jagvocate
AG
Premiums have skyrocketed. APMEX's data showing record purchases over the past few days.

As Andy Shectman says, ultimately the precious metals space will be defined by the inability to source supply (i.e. get it now before it becomes "unobtanium" in a few years)
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
There's only about 38 million ounces in registered (available for sale) silver at the Comex

jagvocate
AG
Some of the more conspiratorial silver bugs out there say the COMEX will have to shut down in 2023-24. Those sales numbers are something, but I worry JP Morgan has a moon-sized vault of silver that they'll keep feeding into the COMEX to keep the paper trading manipulation going. It's ludicrous that entire years' worth of silver mining supply can trade daily on the COMEX on days where the price is really headed to a breakout, and no one sees anything off about that.
Outdoorag011
Yeah I think JPM and BOA are keeping the manipulation alive with how fast the comex has drained in the last two years. We just need another strong year from India.

Side note: Gold is on a fire today!
Aggiemike96
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

Side note: Gold is on a fire today!
Silver says, "Hold my beer!"
Picard
AG
"Check the boards" I said. "Before you go to bed" I said.

I just finished reading all 31 pages. Jeez almighty. Count me in for some silver now.

jagvocate
AG
Picard said:

"Check the boards" I said. "Before you go to bed" I said.

I just finished reading all 31 pages. Jeez almighty. Count me in for some silver now.

Welcome Picard!
Outdoorag011
One of us… One of us! Welcome aboard.
Cru
S
Just now deciding to get serious about this.

Anyone know of a for dummies guide? Why would one purchase bars instead of coins? Or coins instead of bars?
Outdoorag011
As stated back on the first page but relevant to bring up again with everything going on. A time will come when people will worry about return OF capital and not return ON capital. Most of us on this page believe everyone should have some of their wealth in physical tangible assets outside of digits on a screen. For some that is real estate/raw land, and for some that is precious metals. Both are great.
Pookers
AG
Cru said:

Anyone know of a for dummies guide? Why would one purchase bars instead of coins? Or coins instead of bars?

Bars are usually cheaper than rounds. 10 oz bars are quite nice. Probably smart to have both though.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Cru said:

If you view precious metals simply as a storage of wealth, a bar of metal is cheaper and there are economies of scale the larger you go.

If you view precious metals as something you will spend/circulate in a SHTF scenario, then coins are likely going to be easier to negotiate. There are also artistic/collectability considerations.
jagvocate
AG
There are many strategies. All have + and -

This is what mine primariiy has been.

1. I bought a lot of 'constitutional' US silver coins (quarters, dimes, nickels pre-1964 with actual silver content). I quit a few years ago when this started seeming "expensive" to me compared to other metals.

2. After putzing around with American Silver eagles, kilo silver bars, 100oz silver bars, 10oz silver bars, 5 oz silver bars, etc. with no real strategy, I have now settled on

3. Various kinds of "good looking" 10oz bars and 1 oz silver rounds. Usually from a name public (Royal Canadian, Royal, etc.) or well known private (Sunshine, etc.) private mint.

When I come into some windfall money, I've bought gold with it. Mainly 1oz bars and the American Gold Buffalo 1oz coin, sometimes some 1oz Platinum bars. But I buy silver rain or shine every two weeks and will continue to do so until it passes $50/oz.
ChiefKiefton
Have any of you seen the new Ice Age series coming out from the RCM? Just ordered some of the Sabre-Tooth 2oz coins and can't wait to get them!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
mwp02ag
AG
I've been putting 10% of windfalls into PM for a little over a year now I think. I started with some Texas Precious Metals Texas Silver Rounds and I still buy the current years. We're also used Monument Metals. We did buy some 1oz gold buffaloes, kangaroos, maple leafs, brittanias and keugerands but mostly buy those same coins in silver until recently when we bought our first 10oz silver bars.

I started to pull the trigger on 10 bars last Friday from savings and got distracted and didn't get them so I'll buy them now at a higher price. I keep meaning to set up the recurring purchase and even did that for a while but never made it a habit. I remember when I first was wanting to get started, it was such a daunting thing but I saw silver pop to $27 and change one day and thought OMG this is it, I gotta buy some before I cant get it at any cost. We obviously aren't there yet but probability grows.

I've since begun to understand that buying a few here and there is the best strategy. Even one or two coins a pay period would be more helpful than trying to time the market to buy in chunks or waiting on windfalls. Ideally I would always put 10% of my investment dollars into silver purely as a hedge against inflation. Best way I understand it is that if inflation cuts $1 of purchasing power to $.50, every $1 I have in PM should, in theory, keep up with the inflation and therefor maintain my purchasing power.

I sleep well knowing I own some PM.
jagvocate
AG
The Fed has a bank problem and an inflation problem. Cutting rates fixes the bank problem but makes the inflation problem worse; hiking rates fixes the inflation problem but just worsens the issue for the banks, who all saw their fixed income assets bought the last couple of years go down in value with every rate hike.

Rock and a hard place. Got precious metals?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Pretty good guide for beginners:

Picard
AG
Thank you for that

Picard
AG
Trying to start with a tube of 1oz silver coins, something safe but reasonably priced for an uncirculated coin. They sure are proud of the American Silver Eagles so that's out for now.

This fit the bill?

https://sdbullion.com/2023-1-oz-austrian-silver-philharmonic-coin-bu
Aggiemike96
AG
Why would you overpay by $40?

Edit: Example: https://bullionexchanges.com/2023-1-oz-austrian-silver-philharmonic-coin
Picard
AG
I'd buy individually not the tube. Is that what you mean?

Edit: I corrected the link above to show the individuals not the tube
Aggiemike96
AG
I stand corrected! Good find!
ChiefKiefton
This site is my best friend.

https://findbullionprices.com/
ChiefKiefton
If you want some super low premium silver, get some shot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294085003659?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=BxYqvGkQQKm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=t9u219wpro6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
jagvocate
AG
One thing to think about online is the value of your time. You can save a dollar or two on a coin but then wait for weeks for fulfillment. I find that the larger sites have this problem less than the others. Personally for me if it's within 10% I'd go with SD Bullion or similar … and Philharmonics are a very pretty coin
maddiedou
AG
Picard said:

Trying to start with a tube of 1oz silver coins, something safe but reasonably priced for an uncirculated coin. They sure are proud of the American Silver Eagles so that's out for now.

This fit the bill?

https://sdbullion.com/2023-1-oz-austrian-silver-philharmonic-coin-bu

Picard. I am in College station and I have silver bullion I am selling for a friend if you want to text 979- eight two o -l87o. I believe 2021 Australia and 2022.

If you live here I can do one a week or one a month whatever fits you budget I have abot 45 left to get rid if

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.