Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

258,453 Views | 1828 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TTUArmy
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Good video:

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
redsquirrelAG
AG
I came home to a flooded house and my landlord is out of the country so I'm about to buy a house and have a sizeable stack I need to cash in if anyone is interested PM me. Big mix of silver and gold.

1 oz gold coins

Silver bars and junk and 1 oz rounds. Monster boxes.
TheVarian
AG
Where are you located?
redsquirrelAG
AG
Hutto. Central TX.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/markets/us-senator-elizabeth-warren-introduces-bill-to-crack-down-on-bitcoin-and-crypto

The ban is coming.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
jagvocate
AG
When a Democrat talks law and order we know a fix is in
p-townag
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/markets/us-senator-elizabeth-warren-introduces-bill-to-crack-down-on-bitcoin-and-crypto

The ban is coming.

Haha. They aren't banning Bitcoin. Altcoins that are unregistered securities…maybe.

Bitcoin can't be banned/confiscated unless you keep it on an exchange. Plus, the incentives don't make sense to ban it.

Hopefully the US government won't confiscate all the gold…again.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I'd be more concerned if it was literally anyone other than Elizabeth Warren. She's like 0 for 200 in getting legislation over the finish line.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Insert Baghdad Bob meme gif here.
p-townag
AG
I'll grant you classic meme points. Now…care to bet what happens first…$200k bitcoin or banned bitcoin?
MTTANK
AG
Trick question, answer is neither.
p-townag
AG
MTTANK said:

Trick question, answer is neither.

Bookmarked!
jagvocate
AG
Bought my first silver eagles through WalMart.com yesterday ... looks like they are shipping free via FedEx.

The price for 100 was about $160 dollars better than SD Bullion and $200+ better than APMEX. Plus, I get the points on my Amex :-)
TXAggie4Christ
AG
jagvocate said:

Bought my first silver eagles through WalMart.com yesterday ... looks like they are shipping free via FedEx.

The price for 100 was about $160 dollars better than SD Bullion and $200+ better than APMEX. Plus, I get the points on my Amex :-)

Appreciate the wisdom on the board.

Got my first silver bars in the spring and just tested the WM site too for the silver eagles. Didn't order 100 but hey, free s/h and points on the Amex for future Aggie hotel stays.
Aggiemike96
AG
jagvocate said:

Before 2PM I hope. Silver been soaring since the Fed's announcement.
Cowman1
Scored some bars in Vegas! First time silver buyer, going to make some nice Christmas gifts.

Aggiemike96
AG
Costco has Rand Refinery 1oz gold bar in assay for $2,069.99 today. Limit 2.
jagvocate
AG
A new record high close for gold ($2078) and not a peep! Still plenty of time to get on board
Aggiemike96
AG
Bought two 1-oz gold Maples from Costco today for $2,069.99 each. I'm pleased.
joekm3
AG
WM and Costco buyers, well done. That being said, build a relationship with a local coin/silver/gold dealer and add well.
TTUArmy
TTUArmy said:

$2,100 by year end?
Right around the corner...

• Take note of gold's higher lows since 2020.
  • A little yield curve control from Jpow or Granny Yellen is going to push the DXY down.
  • Probably see consolidation in the run up to YCC decision, then a nice little breakout higher.
  • May not last long but, it will be pretty; like 4th of July fireworks.
  • Be nice if we could put a floor under gold at $2,100.
  • 2024 could be a helluva year for precious metals.
  • Worst case, we end 2024 with gold still sitting at $2,100...gotta respect the paper market's ability to naked short the hell out of PMs.

Good luck to all Gold and Silver Bugs!

topher06
Wish I had caught those maples, did snag one of the rand refinery bars but I've already lost it in some random river somewhere.

May grab some silver eagles on WM.com - how price sensitive are these sites? should I wait for tomorrow given the pullback in silver price, or is it likely to just be the same price on WM.com tomorrow?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
If any of us knew where the price of silver would be in the future we would not be posting it here! Buy when you can at prices you are comfortable with.
topher06
I understand that, of course. My question was about the sensitivity of WM.com pricing, given that it is clearly not updating in real time with silver prices. If you know silver is dropping midday on a Thursday, would you expect to see a drop in pricing on WM.com on a Friday or do they just leave the price the same the next day regardless of movements in the current day. The answer, based on my one day sample size, is there was an ~1% price drop on WM.com today which is roughly consistent with silver's drop yesterday.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
That's interesting. Most online dealers update pricing in real time according to spot price plus a predetermined premium per ounce or unit. For what it's worth, I waited until this morning to make a purchase and got in at just about the low point for today. Pretty happy with myself. Buy cheap, stack 'em deep.
Jabin
topher06 said:

I understand that, of course. My question was about the sensitivity of WM.com pricing, given that it is clearly not updating in real time with silver prices. If you know silver is dropping midday on a Thursday, would you expect to see a drop in pricing on WM.com on a Friday or do they just leave the price the same the next day regardless of movements in the current day. The answer, based on my one day sample size, is there was an ~1% price drop on WM.com today which is roughly consistent with silver's drop yesterday.
Apparently no one on here knows. Is that a project you're willing to undertake for the good of the Board?

Some of the data nerds on here or on the Nerdery might be able to scrape historical prices off of the WM.com site and compare them to historical market prices. If the WM.com prices do not move in tandem with market prices, it might present a small arbitrage opportunity (although the low volumes and hassle probably wouldn't justify it).
topher06
Could be a tiny arb opportunity, but I suspect the dealer margins would more than eat up any day you could catch that had a sharp rise (and, again, I only have a one day sample size). Just thinking you could potentially have a better guaranteed entry point by waiting one day, but really not sure that matters much if you are just stacking anyway.
Aggiemike96
AG
I'm pretty confident they move in real-time. I buy via eBay (the seller is Bullion Exchanges) pretty regularly, and their prices fluctuate throughout the day as the spot fluctuates. Since BE sells on Walmart.com too, I'd assume the same there.
joekm3
AG
What value do you place US currency silver and gold over cheapest premium? I have both, but lean towards stacking silver eagles.
Andrew Dufresne
joekm3 said:

What value do you place US currency silver and gold over cheapest premium? I have both, but lean towards stacking silver eagles.

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Are you talking about US Mint Gold and Silver Eagles when you say "US Currency" ?

Or, are you talking about Pre-65 US Silver coinage?

I'll assume that you're talking about Eagles and will tailor my answer towards that:

Eagles are generally considered more "Recognizable". In theory they should be more easy to trade in a bartering situation than say, a Buffalo Round or a generic bar.

Myself? I try to stack what I find good deals on rather than focusing on only stacking certain types.

If our currency goes to complete chit I don't think anyone is going to care as much about numismatic value.
Andrew Dufresne
I got a new safe in today. Just got through bolting it straight in to my concrete slab. I was using my gun safe for both my guns and bullion, but now have dedicated safes for both.

Secure your wealth, gentlemen. If you can't bolt your safe into concrete, at least bolt it into your wall studs.

Don't make it easy on potential lowlifes trying to rob you. Make them toil.
jagvocate
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

I got a new safe in today. Just got through bolting it straight in to my concrete slab. I was using my gun safe for both my guns and bullion, but now have dedicated safes for both.

Secure your wealth, gentlemen. If you can't bolt your safe into concrete, at least bolt it into your wall studs.

Don't make it easy on potential lowlifes trying to rob you. Make them toil.
Also buy enough silver that two men can't pick it up

Happy Stacking in 2024, Aggies
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Pretty good video from a guy I've followed for a while who isn't a pumper. He's predicting some pretty strong action through 2026 and explains why with data. Worth a watch.

jetch17
AG
I'm starting to get the itch to jumping into gold/silver … frankly upset I haven't prior to now. This thread has been a great read and education
joekm3
AG
You can use Texas Precious Metals Depository in Shiner to store your physical gold and silver if you're rolling over IRA dollars. You don't have to buy you precious metals from them if you have another supplier. I have not used them because all of my holdings are after tax, non-IRA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.