Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

265,408 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TTUArmy
AggieT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Follow this website:

findbullionprices

1. The prices fluctuate constantly. Buy the dips when they happen.
2. This is all a long term play. Nobody is making money flipping gold and silver.
3. Pay attention to the Gold/Silver Ratio. It is high right now (85+) signaling that silver is "cheap" relative to gold.
4. Most think that silver could have huge upside potential as the price is heavily manipulated. There are also countless industrial uses for silver, and demand is expected to outstrip supply in the near future.
5. Avoid high premiums (markup over the spot price).
6. Consider a Walmart credit card. Several large dealers sell there online, and you get 5% cash back. This also avoids shipping delays waiting for wire transfers/ACH payments to clear.
7. Dollar cost average. Figure out what and how much you want, and buy on a regular basis.
8. Only buy from reputable sources. Tons of scams on eBay, etc. The link above lists reputable dealers with reviews for each. APMEX, JD Bullion, Bullion Exchange, Monument Metals are all fine.
9. Have an exit strategy.

Once you hold this stuff in your hand you will be hooked.
Orome
AG
Thank you that's exactly the type of content I was looking for!
techno-ag
AG
ChatGPT is no help.

Quote:

The thread you provided is a discussion on the TexAgs Business & Investing forum about buying physical gold/silver. The thread has 1367 replies and 174,575 views as of the last update 1. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide a summary of the thread as it is too long and contains a lot of information. However, you can read through the thread to find the information you need.

Is there anything else I can help you with?
Apache
AG
Quote:

1. Societal collapse
2. Profit?
Well, okay then
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

1. Societal collapse
2. Profit?

Me: pass to heirs!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
$0.99 over spot:

https://bullionexchanges.com/100-oz-royal-canadian-mint-rcm-silver-bar
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Andrew Dufresne
Need about 10 of these just to see what they look like stacked up.
jagvocate
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

Need about 10 of these just to see what they look like stacked up.
They're beautiful. I don't have 10 but Royal Canadian Mint makes some of, to my eye, the prettiest bullion
jagvocate
AG

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Kilo at spot deal:

https://www.apmex.com/product/247005/1-kilo-cast-poured-silver-bar-apmex-at-spot
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
jagvocate
AG
Forgive the gold stock talk, but I dipped a toe into Newmont Gold here this week (NEM)

https://schrts.co/YXviQtRh
Ted Lasso
AG
10 oz bars at spot on APMEX now. Max 3

Edit: sold out
jagvocate
AG

Silver woke up this a.m.
TTUArmy
$25 silver this morning...nice!!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
This is what unabashed price manipulation looks like.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Keep it going baby.
Snake Jazz
AggieT said:

Follow this website:

findbullionprices

1. The prices fluctuate constantly. Buy the dips when they happen.
2. This is all a long term play. Nobody is making money flipping gold and silver.
3. Pay attention to the Gold/Silver Ratio. It is high right now (85+) signaling that silver is "cheap" relative to gold.
4. Most think that silver could have huge upside potential as the price is heavily manipulated. There are also countless industrial uses for silver, and demand is expected to outstrip supply in the near future.
5. Avoid high premiums (markup over the spot price).
6. Consider a Walmart credit card. Several large dealers sell there online, and you get 5% cash back. This also avoids shipping delays waiting for wire transfers/ACH payments to clear.
7. Dollar cost average. Figure out what and how much you want, and buy on a regular basis.
8. Only buy from reputable sources. Tons of scams on eBay, etc. The link above lists reputable dealers with reviews for each. APMEX, JD Bullion, Bullion Exchange, Monument Metals are all fine.

Once you hold this stuff in your hand you will be hooked.
I'm also new to this...I'm about to sell some family property and want to put a significant portion of that sale into gold or silver, but as I started looking at this, it seems way more complicated than I expected.

I was just going to go through Birch or Rosland or one of the other companies that are always advertising...am I to understand that they are overpriced?

Buy gold and silver from WalMart? That feels odd.

Are there any particular coins that are better than others?

Any help anybody can provide would be appreciated.
ac04
buying from walmart with 5% back and free shipping is brilliant, wish i had thought of that a long time ago. i have been checking it periodically since that post and the 5% back usually brings the price below spot.
Jabin
Some of the answers to your questions depend on your reasons for buying gold and silver.

Are you buying simply to store bullion as an investment?

Or are you buying to have "currency" in the event of an end-of-the-world scenario?

If the former, buying bars or other large pieces at the lowest possible price is probably smart.

If the latter, buying coins that will be easily recognizable may be better, even if you pay a higher price than spot. For example, American eagles in 1/10 oz. will always be recognizable and accepted, and are low enough in value that they can actually be used in transactions.

Another strategy might be some combination of the two.
Snake Jazz
Thank you for your answer.

I'm probably in agreement with your last sentence. I'm looking at this as a stable investment until we get into better economic times, and I'm prepared to lock it in my safe for years. But, I probably should have a little bit in stuff that is easier to sell in case I needed it.
RoyVal
AG
Todd 02
AG
ac04 said:

buying from walmart with 5% back and free shipping is brilliant, wish i had thought of that a long time ago. i have been checking it periodically since that post and the 5% back usually brings the price below spot.
Is it really just as simple as getting a Walmart CC and paying with that?
AggieT
AG
Yes.

The same places that charge cc fees on their own sites (APMEX, etc.) sell on Walmart.com. No fees, free shipping, and 5% cash back.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/walmart-rewards/
jagvocate
AG
I get fiat money back to purchase real money?

#mindblown
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Gold at $2,081

Silver at $25.68
TTUArmy
$2,100 by year end?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
TTUArmy said:

$2,100 by next week?
ChiefKiefton
Gold going cray cray
Aggiemike96
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

TTUArmy said:

$2,100 by next week?

By tonight! Already hit $2,100!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Red Pear Realty said:

TTUArmy said:

$2,100 by next week?

You're telling me. Up over $50 an ounce. Wow.
TTUArmy
I'll take it!
Aggiemike96
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Red Pear Realty said:

TTUArmy said:

$2,100 by next week?

And now down about $50. What a ride the past 16 hours. Yikes!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
The machine can't let that spike happen.
jagvocate
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Red Pear Realty said:

TTUArmy said:

$2,100 by next week?

And now down about $50. What a ride the past 16 hours. Yikes!

Buy dips,
Not rips
TTUArmy
Red Pear Realty said:

The machine can't let that spike happen.
It goes like that with paper gold and silver. One of these days, maybe in the near future, those naked shorts are going to get squeezed and make things real interesting. Just not today...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.