Buzz Season 6

11,291 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bobinator
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know the season isn't done but with all the recruiting misses, the suspension, and the injuries you can say Buzz has done an impeccable job keeping this team going and working hard for each other/him.

It's obvious we are quite untalented and have lost confidence shooting (except for Wade). It would be easy to lose hope but they haven't.

The path moving forward to being successful (Buzz might define success differently) would involve replacing some of our guys with better shooters and developing of individual players better rather than making everyone specialized in their roles on the team.

I truly think we need a new assistant or two. Someone who can revamp the offense and someone who can recruit/target better offensive players.

If we can do that Buzz, with his team fully bought in, can still do really well here.

He's a really good man and the kind of man you like having represent your university. It would be great for him to succeed here.
WaldoWings
I like Buzz. Hope he stays til he is an old man and retires from here someday.
NyAggie
AG
Buzz has one problem to fix in order for him to take the next step here;

He needs to stop losing to teams he is supposed to beat

Last year he did that in non conference

This years he's done it in conference: losing to LSU at home, at Arkansas and ole miss at home

How much better would our season look if we had won even just 2 of those 3 games?

Method Man
Much. Ole miss was a bad game but so winnable as was Arky.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
You could say this about any team but it will all come down to the transfer portal.

Last year Buzz hit it out of the park with Dennis and Marble

This year our transfers have struggled. Carter is no Dennis (very tough ask of anyone to try replacing a 5th year guy who ultimately made an NBA roster). Lawrence didn't show much and now barely plays. Leveque was as good of a pickup as you could get back when it was assumed we had 2 starting big men in Coleman and Marble.

Next year is going to be the Wade Taylor show and I'm skeptical we'll pick up enough offense around him to make any improvement from this season. He's going to have to put together a senior year Acie Law level performance. Manny is absolutely going to have to step up and fill in for Boots leaving.

All that being said I do like Buzz and I hope he does well enough to stick around. As mentioned above me, he needs to find some consistency. 21-22 we had that horrific conference losing streak before catching fire at the end of the year. 22-23 we absolutely blew it in non conference and then had one of the best conference runs in program history. This year we haven't won more than 2-straight games since our initial 5-0 start. Maybe we get hot in February like his teams seem to do and wind up finishing in the top half of the conference. If we don't get into the tournament I think he'll officially be on the hot seat in year 6.

94chem
If I went on a recruiting trip to A&M and met guys like Henry Coleman, Buzz Williams, and Tyrece Radford, I would come home absolutely fired up about playing at A&M. But alas, I'm 51 and not very good at basketball.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Method Man
I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe manny will be anything more than what he already is. He could be a really good defender but he's lost his confidence. He never missed FTs and now he can't make any.
MarcAg
AG
I still think this team has decent shot to get to the tourney. I don't expect it to go well if they do however. Sure they can win games, but I think greater shot they don't in the tourney with this offense.

But the one reason for optimism moving forward (next year) is Buzz seems to know the roster is a problem. He's made multiple comments this season that the margin for error with this team is so small because of the bad shooting. He also says it's going to be that way every game. So he isn't delusional sitting there thinking man it's going to click and this team is all of a sudden going to be a good shooting team. So I expect him to target offense in the portal as a result. Now it doesn't mean he gets the help he needs, but I at least feel comfortable that he know he has a problem (unlike Jimbo)

Now what I'm unsure of is, will he go out and get a big man who can score on the blocks. Or at least a big man with some length and athleticism that can roll to the rim and blocks shots. Before the Ole Miss game he was gushing over the Ole Miss big talking about how they aren't just big but athletic and can stay with guys on the perimeter. So hopefully he tries to improve there.

So I'm confident on targeting more scoring on the perimeter, but unsure on if he will pick up the big he needs.
MarcAg
AG
Method Man said:

I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe manny will be anything more than what he already is. He could be a really good defender but he's lost his confidence. He never missed FTs and now he can't make any.

There is no reason to be optimistic about Manny. We are 3 years into this. He is playing fewer minutes than he ever has here (and we are desperate for guard help). Anything he gives you next season is a bonus as you go into that season expecting nothing.
MarcAg
AG
Method Man, we also know the chances of him getting rid of one of his assistants and going and hiring a hot shot assistant is slim to none.
Method Man
We do.
Muy
AG
Buzz is an amazing man, but something is up in regards to his poor recruiting. We can't blame A&M as we've recruited studs in the past, so what is the explanation other than "player x just didn't develop". That seems to happen a lot now.
Aston04
AG
MarcAg said:

But the one reason for optimism moving forward (next year) is Buzz seems to know the roster is a problem. He's made multiple comments this season that the margin for error with this team is so small..

He says crap like that every year...
MarcAg
AG
Aston04 said:

MarcAg said:

But the one reason for optimism moving forward (next year) is Buzz seems to know the roster is a problem. He's made multiple comments this season that the margin for error with this team is so small..

It's been very different this year.
AgEfan
It can be as simple as hitting on one guy in the portal. You see portal guys making huge differences across the country and it's not even always guys that were expected to be doing what they are doing.
Method Man
The guys Buzz initially targeted were very good. We didn't get any of them. Abmas, Luis, the Dominican from auburn, the CC kid
AgEfan
MarcAg said:

Aston04 said:

MarcAg said:

It's been very different this year.

I agree it's different this year. The other years I feel like he was doing typical Buzz; "Nobody believes in us. We are the underdogs". But I think he believed those teams has potential to play really good offensive ball some nights, and they did.

This year you can tell he really feels like this team is bad offensively and as he's said they can't do anything to change that at the moment. He obviously expected Marble to be helping out. But he also expected Jace to be a double digit scorer and not shoot under 20% from three. He probably expected other guys to step up too like Lawrence and Manny. And I'm not saying it's not his fault. I think he knows it's his fault and knows he didn't do what they needed in the portal now seeing it play out. This year's words are for sure different and more direct that it's a major problem. But again you can't fix that in February. So it is what it is for now. Now go do something about it come March/April in the portal.
Aston04
AG
Nm
TMF
AG
Buzz will do many awesome things here if he is not nearly as stubborn as Jimbo. He needs to make some changes, no overhaul needed.
rlb28
AG
"Quite untalented"

Is that true? Untalented shooting the ball at times? Yes

I think Wade and Boots start for most, if not all, SEC teams. Henry and Andy maybe. Solo and Jace would be role players. I think you're being hypercritical. Maybe not.
JJxvi
AG
We have talent at the top, we have talent at the bottom for role players who are good at certain things. Multidimensional supporting cast starters are lacking on this roster.
Muy
AG
We have 1 elite level player, and now what feels like a lot of role players.
northeastag
AG
WaldoWings said:

Not me. I'd like to eventually win a few more NCAA tournament games. Maybe even make it to the final four or championship game.
Method Man
Boots at his best does. He's played well three times this season.

Coleman hasn't been good since nonconference.

Carter has improved in every aspect but can't shoot.

Washington and Andy are great off the bench but can't expect scoring from them.
Ag in ATL
AG
northeastag said:

WaldoWings said:

Not me. I'd like to eventually win a few more NCAA tournament games. Maybe even make it to the final four or championship game.
In his own way, that's what Waldo said.
Philip J Fry
AG
The mentioned Coleman was injured during the game yesterday. Said he hasn't been the same since. Wonder if he's not 100%
Method Man
Yeah. He seems to be. I appreciate him gutting it out.
Topher17
AG
It pains me to think about how solid this team would be if Carter could just shoot 30-33% from 3. He gets good looks several times a game and just doesn't even come close to knocking them down.

That's not even mentioning Boots who somehow has gone from a 40% shooter 2 year ago 26% now. Even if 40% was a fluke, 26% is an insane drop off.
paterfamilias79
AG
Method Man said:

The guys Buzz initially targeted were very good. We didn't get any of them. Abmas, Luis, the Dominican from auburn, the CC kid

A couple of posters on the premium board say that our NIL is not competitive.
Proposition Joe
paterfamilias79 said:

Method Man said:

I think most of it is just conjecture. When this year went off the rails a lot of people started shifting the narrative to "we just don't support basketball".
PatAg
AG
Method Man said:

Yeah. He seems to be. I appreciate him gutting it out.
For sure, but he has always struggled against teams that have any size down low as well.
wacarnolds
AG
Buzz has been here 5 years. If our NIL game isn't up to par with our historical peers, that's on him.
AgEfan
wacarnolds said:

Buzz has been here 5 years. If our NIL game isn't up to par with our historical peers, that's on him.

I'm not sure I agree with this take. We realized this season we were getting lapped by a few programs in NIL in football. If we don't have our stuff together in football, there is no way we have had it together in basketball. In either sport, the head coach has bigger things to worry about. Other people need to get the NIL going for the school.
DTP02
AG
Proposition Joe said:

paterfamilias79 said:

Method Man said:

I think most of it is just conjecture. When this year went off the rails a lot of people started shifting the narrative to "we just don't support basketball".

There are people who comment on these things from time to time on TexAgs who are not just speculating. One of the guys commenting on it is one of our bigger donors.

Lack of NIL cost us in some battles this offseason. We also didn't project/evaluate well the guys we did take. Both are true.
CapCityAg89
AG
I think this year's transfer recruiting will look much different from last year. At most, we have SRs Taylor and Carter (might be a transfer risk back down a level) and JR Solo. That's the core and probably only 75-80 minutes taken so lots of PT available. Lindsay and Lee will be interesting to watch as sophomores who got a bit of time before the roster shortened. I'll hold out hope for Manny the whole time he's here just because I love the kid so much. I'd have to expect Marble to be a complete re-recruit if we want him.

So 30 minutes in a competitive P4 school with an established coach for: pick and pop big, wing forward, wing guard, maybe an assist-first guard. Then 20 more for a forward and a couple guards (L&L??). If Buzz can't sell that to high tier (not even elite) players, that's bad.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.