Buzz Season 6

11,284 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bobinator
Timberwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hell maybe Buzz has had it with this place and will reverse the whip and leave us high and dry. Hope he sticks around. I like him despite the ups and downs every year.
Houstonag
AG
We are stuck for nothing is going to happen until a new AD is named. Even then that is a problem because except for Billy G we did not go for a total coach.
northeastag
AG
Man, I can't believe that we've got 4 more years of this.
Rule#2
AG
northeastag said:

Man, I can't believe that we've got 4 more years of this.

We don't
Method Man
Let's get some shooters. Let's crank that NIL up.
AggByMarriage
Muy said:

Buzz is an amazing man, but something is up in regards to his poor recruiting. We can't blame A&M as we've recruited studs in the past, so what is the explanation other than "player x just didn't develop". That seems to happen a lot now.

Explanation?
The game of basketball has changed far faster and further than football and baseball.
There are 5 starters and a roster of 12-15. Kids are now playing all year around on elite club teams AND there are endorsement deals. There is a lot of parity in college basketball, more so than football and baseball. Why? Smaller teams and the kids are getting better.

Why do you think a Top 100 would want to come to A&M? Because of its rich basketball tradition? It's stellar facilities, it's raucous fan base?
They come to A&M because of Buzz.
I think Buzz has squeezed the most out of the players that he has and what do they do? The rise to the challenge and love their coach.
Do you think we're competing for the same players as:
Kansas
UNC
UK
UConn
Gonzaga
Duke
UVA
UCLA
Marquette
Seriously?!

Heck Texas Tech u of H have better basketball vibe than A&M. Buzz is doing all he can, but is the University? The Alumni? The fans? I would say the Reed Arena averages between 65-75% capacity. My wife and I are season ticket holders. Love the team, love the coach, but those empty seats are cringey.

I hope he sticks around. Given time, he'll build a legacy program.

Just my opinion. Flame away. Most here might think the biggest asset we have is the A&M brand… it's not. It's Buzz.
Argentina Aggie
I love our Texas A&M men's basketball program. I do think what will help Buzz get more talented recruits is the fact that he can show that he's making progress. His Texas A&M teams have been to back-to-back NCAA basketball tournaments and have even won a game. The loss of H was a close one but the team was competitive. I can see us doing even better next year.
Muy
AG
Timberwolf said:

Hell maybe Buzz has had it with this place and will reverse the whip and leave us high and dry. Hope he sticks around. I like him despite the ups and downs every year.

I was ready to see him go but he earned more time. If he wants to leave, we have $6 million reasons a great coach would step in.
txag72
AG
Quote:

FTAG 2000
2:15p, 2/17/24

AG

Oh I know buzz will be back. It's just we are going to see the same **** again next year.
Yea, afraid we'll still be seeing you post again next year.
phatty26
NyAggie said:

Buzz has one problem to fix in order for him to take the next step here;

He needs to stop losing to teams he is supposed to beat

Last year he did that in non conference

This years he's done it in conference: losing to LSU at home, at Arkansas and ole miss at home

How much better would our season look if we had won even just 2 of those 3 games?
Don't forget at Vandy

phatty26
Way too many K's
greg.w.h
AG
Buzz needs to put a team together that looks more like a natural step up from the end of the previous year rather than like starting over. He did that this year but then had the long losing streak and WTF losses in conference play.

But directionally it is correct.
Divining Rod
I think Buzz is a good coach, at least as far as having his teams rise to the occasion.

It's just bizarre that a coach who can get his teams to do the almost impossible season after season, can't avoid disappointing inexplicable losses to "bad" teams-.

QUESTION: Is Buzz a guy who:

1) recruits well enough and coaches well enough where he can get his team to play, at times, at the highest levels, but not well enough to sustain that or to consistently beat all the weaker team? or

2) a coach who really doesn't recruit that well, wins and loses about like you'd expect from an average team, but is capable of getting his teams to play harder than most and win quite a few against better competition?

in other words, a coach who can put together a team that should do very well, but can't do well enough, or
a coach who can't put together a great team, but can coach and inspire his ass off to play above their heads.

czar_iv
AG
IMO Buzz' issue is recruiting; the team talent isn't that high. Buzz gets the most of his talent because he doesn't even seem to try to get high ceiling guys. When your talent level is low, your team is more prone to having bad losses.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
ahou614
AG
Czar_iv . The problem is he can't recruit the blue chip players because he demands so much from his players. Blue Chip guys don't want to actually work hard. Really need to target the second tier of athletes that have a chip on their shoulder, but can still ball. We get these pink slip players, and they outperform. Its great but stressful to watch.
bobinator
AG
I think people are off base with the idea that blue chip players don't want to work hard. I know it's an easy narrative, but it's not true most of the time. Most of them worked incredibly hard to become blue chip players. Especially anyone that isn't just some 7-foot athletic freak. Maybe some of those guys are lazy, but athletic skilled guards are a dime a dozen. It takes hard work to separate yourself from that pack and be a top tier recruit.

Now, what they might not want is to play in a system that doesn't highlight their skills, and they want to get paid their market value. If we're not going to pay what the elite schools are paying for basketball players, then we're not going to get those players. It's true now, it's always been true.
JJxvi
AG
"Blue chip guys" are like everyone else, there are all kinds. There are definitely blue chip prospects that are students of the game, willing to dedicate their lives to it, and still out work everyone else despite the talent advantage that they already have. These players are DRIVEN, and likely are so dedicated to their goals and future career that going to Texas A&M is a risk. This type of player goes to Kansas, or Kentucky, or Duke, or North Carolina every single time. That is the proven way, the obvious way. The rest that are a shade off of these requirements also go to the next level of big time programs. Ohio State or Texas or Maryland.

So what about the rest? They're talented but not going to be as driven. They might go where they are going for money, or fun, or because its close to their boys, or someone they know with influence advised them to, or who knows what else. Being selective with these players is not necessarily a bad thing, certainly I think you can win with them, but there are risks.

If we get ourselves on the level of programs like Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama now, etc over multiple seasons, I think we would have more success in recruiting blue chips that are good fits for us.
bobinator
AG
Honestly think Mills and Turkson are perfectly good recruits for us. That's sort of been our money zone is players ranked between 50 and 150. Those are good pieces. Put enough of them together and you've got something.

You just can't be bringing in whole classes of players ranked in the 200s or whatever like we did last year.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

That's sort of been our money zone is players ranked between 50 and 150. Those are good pieces. Put enough of them together and you've got something.
See the Houston Cougars
NowhereMan
I would not worry about Buzz ever leaving A&M.
You have B minus season, slide into the tournament by the skin of your teeth and the fans applaud the fact it went so well with the inconsistent players Buzz recruited and coached.

Nobody is going to steal or money whip Buzz into leaving with his B minus record.

bobinator
AG
The only other coaches in A&M history who got us into the tournament two years in a row were hired by Maryland and Kentucky.
AgEfan
Bob why are you even responding to that clown?
bobinator
AG
the board is slow. it's so slow I even clicked into that Caitlin Clark thread to see why it was still going.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
bobinator said:

the board is slow. it's so slow I even clicked into that Caitlin Clark thread to see why it was still going.

I'm proud to say I have ignored that one! Now the Solo Washington in Women's Basketball Thread - I clicked that one.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

bobinator said:

I'm proud to say I have ignored that one! Now the Solo Washington in Women's Basketball Thread - I clicked that one.

Alright. I succumbed and checked it out (the Caitlin Clark thread) JUST now (without posting) ONLY because I saw that Bobinator had the last post.

Wish I had stayed off. What a waste of 60 seconds.
BuzzFan24
I think JJ nailed it.

What Blue Chip is coming to A&M? 5 Stars go to the proven powers that have multitude of NBA draft history. If you are a 5 star and you don't make the NBA you go down as a bust - something nobody wants.

A&M shouldn't waste time or resources pursuing blue chips unless their is an obvious connection. Bob is right that - 50-150 mark is the sweet spot. Guys with chips on their shoulders seem to thrive under Buzz. Hence why Wade is a potential All-American as a 6 foot "unathletic" guard.
TopoTacos
AG
If you're trying to make deep tourney runs that is probably the way to go. The majority of schools that see real tournament success do so on the backs of experienced players, rather than one-and-done phenom 5*s (though you do occasionally see that from Duke). The portal changes that somewhat in that teams can construct a new roster quickly while also fielding rosters with multiple upperclassmen, but basketball experience is still a key indicator.

Under Buzz, I think the biggest weakness we've been consistently hamstrung by is a lack of consistent outside shotmaking. We had consistent spacing last year with Dennis providing another passable shooter, but this year we tried to fill that gap through Carter and Lawrence and they weren't quite able to replicate their mid-major success (sometimes your mid-major transfer is a Dex Dennis or a Dalton Knecht, sometimes he isn't- life happens).
greg.w.h
AG
Moving up to the 30-50 range is possible. So we should.
StinkyPinky
AG
We should go scrub Europe for some bona fide shooters. They are out there.
bobinator
AG
TopoTacos said:

Under Buzz, I think the biggest weakness we've been consistently hamstrung by is a lack of consistent outside shotmaking.
I think this is a symptom though and not a cause.

The cause is that under Buzz we've lacked guards that can consistently create off the bounce. It's not a wild coincidence that once Manny came on as a guard that could create some space all of a sudden we started shooting better too.

For most of the year our best dribbler was also our best shooter, and he can't pass to himself. And as much as we love Boots, his ability to penetrate effectively is inconsistent at best, especially since he can only go with one hand.

We need shot creators. Having one in the post also would be a godsend but I'm convinced we're just cursed at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.