2 Articles Mention Buzz as Candidate at Arky

9,292 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by TyHolden
Knoxville_Ag_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think they will go after Chris Beard or Will Wade, but 2 local sources mentioned Buzz...

I can't imagine this. Buzz is more expensive than Musselman with a lesser resume.

I do think Buzz would appreciate a fresh start with a longer leash and the excuse of rebuilding again, but I also think he likes Aggieland.

Probably just smoke, but I was surprised to see him mentioned at all...

All Hogs Article

Local News Article
Topher17
AG
Beard has already turned them down as of early this afternoon.

National writers saying Tang is next on their list as they work their way through the process.
bobinator
AG
Their meltdown if they hired Buzz might rival ours when Stoops' name was floated
wacarnolds
AG
I've read Tang has a substantial buyout (in the $5M range) that may be an obstacle too big for Arkansas.

Does Buzz have a buyout?
bobinator
AG
He had a $500K one at Virginia Tech, so if he does I doubt it's much.
greg.w.h
AG
Wouldn't be surprised if Buzz left. I believe we owe him if we fire him but he doesn't owe us. Now you can see the benefit of apparently imbalanced buyouts…
Topher17
AG
bobinator said:

Their meltdown if they hired Buzz might rival ours when Stoops' name was floated

I think he'd do just fine there, but their fans would be livid. Not sure some of his schtick would go over very well there, or a lot of other places for that matter.
bobinator
AG
Right. You talk yourself into being fine letting a coach walk with two elite eights and a sweet 16 in the last four years only to hire a coach with one NCAAT win and who your terrible team just beat twice this season.

(I similarly thought Stoops would do well here... but that's neither here nor there.)
Pumpkinhead
AG
Why does anyone think Buzz would leave? Any sense he is not happy where he is?
bobinator
AG
It's kind of what he's done everywhere, but also I think there's a two part perception from the national media that a) he's a coach other schools might want and b) if they do want him, they'd have a chance to get him because we're not exactly a basketball powerhouse.

A is the part I'm not sure is really true right now, at least for a school like Arkansas.
JJxvi
AG
It would surprise me if he was looking at all given how stable the roster situation seems to be.
greg.w.h
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Why does anyone think Buzz would leave? Any sense he is not happy where he is?
No coach so far has turned down an opportunity to leave for a better position and more money when offered. Why do you think he wouldn't?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Can't imagine Buzz leaving now. I know his MO has never been to stay at one place too long but he's from Texas and the word was he wanted to get back home. If true why would he leave for Arky?
JJxvi
AG
This thread sucks. What we need is to inject some rocket fuel into its veins! When Buzz takes the Arkansas job who we lookin at !?

IMO there is only one choice....Mark Turgeon.
20ag07
Quote:

No coach so far has turned down an opportunity to leave for a better position and more money when offered.
Buzz is one of like 2 coaches ever that has voluntarily taken a paycut. He went from over $3M at Marquette to $1.7M at VA Tech before coming here.

Chip Kelly is about the only other one.

Some of these weird dudes do weird things. And let's be honest- Buzz fits it the boat of dudes who do weird things.
frenchtoast
Would this give us a chance to win in Fayetteville?
Chuck Gay
AG
I hadn't heard that before. Sharing what I found about that here in case others are interested.

From the Washington Post:

Quote:

At Virginia Tech, Williams negotiated an incentive-laden deal that includes several perks outside of his starting annual salary of $2.3 million, most notably a rollover clause, a minimal and one-sided buyout provision after three years, the creation of new staff positions and the ability to earn additional compensation from outside sources.

When Virginia Tech first introduced Williams as its coach in March, the school announced he agreed to a seven-year, $18.2 million contract and that his annual salary would increase by $100,000 every season. But like at Marquette, where he earned approximately $2.8 million last year, Williams will also have a rollover clause in his contract with the Hokies.

Beginning in year four, his contract will be automatically extended by one year every June 30.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/buzz-williams-contract-to-coach-virginia-tech-basketball-offers-several-incentives-and-perks/2014/05/21/d1a1fbd6-e02b-11e3-8dcc-d6b7fede081a_story.html
Method Man
I'd like us to go after Anthony Grant.
zooguy96
Buzz would not have a longer leash at Arky. He can stay here forever if he wanted. Our admin doesn't care about BB investment-wise (other than paying the coach too much).
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Belton Ag
AG
Method Man said:

I'd like us to go after Anthony Grant.

Not Avery Johnson?
Proposition Joe
20ag07 said:

Quote:

No coach so far has turned down an opportunity to leave for a better position and more money when offered.
Buzz is one of like 2 coaches ever that has voluntarily taken a paycut. He went from over $3M at Marquette to $1.7M at VA Tech before coming here.

Chip Kelly is about the only other one.

Some of these weird dudes do weird things. And let's be honest- Buzz fits it the boat of dudes who do weird things.

His voluntary paycut was $500k and it was more than offset by the stipulations of his buyout with VTech. He had a Jimbo-esque contract guarantee at VT.

But we need not worry anyways, he said he'll coach here as long as we'll have him.

(Nevermind he told Marquette and VTech that too ).

It wouldn't shock me if he went to Arkansas, but I think the combination of him likely being 4-5 names down on their list and his comfy situation here makes it unlikely.
AggByMarriage
bobinator said:

Right. You talk yourself into being fine letting a coach walk with two elite eights and a sweet 16 in the last four years only to hire a coach with one NCAAT win and who your terrible team just beat twice this season.

(I similarly thought Stoops would do well here... but that's neither here nor there.)

I would be far more surprised if Buzz left then if he stayed.
frenchtoast
I imagine his book reading would be even more derided in Arkansas.
Hop
Staff
AG
zooguy96 said:

Buzz would not have a longer leash at Arky. He can stay here forever if he wanted. Our admin doesn't care about BB investment-wise (other than paying the coach too much).

Yeah, I could never see Buzz at Arkansas. Their fanbase is pretty hardcore and will give too much attention whether he wants it or not. I think Buzz likes being in a program where the people are fine letting him do his thing and don't hassle him.
greg.w.h
AG
Knoxville_Ag_08 said:

I think they will go after Chris Beard or Will Wade, but 2 local sources mentioned Buzz...

I can't imagine this. Buzz is more expensive than Musselman with a lesser resume.

I do think Buzz would appreciate a fresh start with a longer leash and the excuse of rebuilding again, but I also think he likes Aggieland.

Probably just smoke, but I was surprised to see him mentioned at all...

All Hogs Article

Local News Article
Buried the lede…

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/39625878/coaching-carousel-2024-25-tracker-latest-buzz-prime-candidates-analysis-top-vacancies
TyperWoods
I can't see Arky offering Buzz, and I can't see him accepting if they did.

I can see him leaving for the right place.

How old are his kids? Might want to stay to get them thru HS locally if they and wifey are liking it here.
JJxvi
AG
We'll probably know what Buzz is going to do a couple days before he finishes signing his name.

Method Man
Him too
sincereag
Arky has two scholarship players left on their roster and we have four returning starters and good depth. Buzz has our program in very good shape and I don't know why he would want to leave.
Tobias Funke
AG
This is the thread where I learned that his name is Brent.
OKC~Ag
If buzz gets an offer from arky for same or little bit more $ would buzz leaves?
I don't think so ...

I guess will find out soon enough.
Proposition Joe
OKC~Ag said:

If buzz gets an offer from arky for same or little bit more $ would buzz leaves?
I don't think so ...

I guess will find out soon enough.

I don't think we will. If Arky lands on Buzz it's because they've swung and missed 3-4 times IMO.
bobinator
AG
At least
Know Your Enemy
AG
JJxvi said:

We'll probably know what Buzz is going to do a couple days before he finishes signing his name.

Wait, is that real????
Know Your Enemy
AG

No Tang for Arky
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.