Scott Drew to Kentucky

9,048 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Proposition Joe
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bobinator said:

The only thing I don't like about it is just the idea that the coach at Baylor could be like "you know what, I'm good" to Kentucky. I know Baylor crossed the bridge years ago and now is, very simply, one of the best programs in college basketball but part of my brain just doesn't want to accept it.

This. Was all set for them to feel our BCG-esque pain (though obviously what Drew has done there was far more significant).

I think with Baylor having more football and basketball success than us the last 10 years it softens the blow a bit when you feel like any coach they have can be taken at any time by a better program, and this pretty much dispels that (at least in hoops).
BQ_90
AG
i don't like Drew, but to his credit he's found his place. He's had chances to leave but at this point there isn't a better job out there for him and apparently his family. Why not stay and be a hero. No matter what at UK, it would end bad. The job eats everyone up
bobinator
AG
Yeah, he'd turned down some other jobs too, but Kentucky is Kentucky.

But he's already won a national title at ****ing Baylor, Drew doesn't have anything left to prove to anyone so I wasn't completely certain he'd want the Kentucky job. He's got everything you could ever want at Baylor and he's already shown he can win the whole thing there. Only thing was if he wanted to prove something to himself or go be on the big stage for a while to see what it's like.
Mike Elko
AG
bobinator said:

Drew staying at Baylor
So, this entire thread's a sham? Shocking, I tell ya.
bobinator
AG
I mean the word on the street is he did actually travel up there. So thread title not technically inaccurate. Just needs to add "and back again" like the Lord of the Rings.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

The only thing I don't like about it is just the idea that the coach at Baylor could be like "you know what, I'm good" to Kentucky. I know Baylor crossed the bridge years ago and now is, very simply, one of the best programs in college basketball but part of my brain just doesn't want to accept it.
I read something a few months back that made it sound like he wasn't going to coach much longer. If that is accurate then it makes no sense to make the move if you are thinking about hanging it up soon. Just finish out at Baylor
Know Your Enemy
AG
Mike Elko said:

bobinator said:

Drew staying at Baylor
So, this entire thread's a sham? Shocking, I tell ya.

Ban OP for posting a tweet from a parody account like a maroon.
carl spacklers hat
Double Diamond said:

Drew isn't leaving. Kentucky about to take a big step down from Calipari.
Rick Pitino is waiting outside the AD's office for the call.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
NyAggie
AG
Proposition Joe said:

bobinator said:

This. Was all set for them to feel our BCG-esque pain (though obviously what Drew has done there was far more significant).

I think with Baylor having more football and basketball success than us the last 10 years it softens the blow a bit when you feel like any coach they have can be taken at any time by a better program, and this pretty much dispels that (at least in hoops).
baylor doesn't bother me anymore.

they don't compete for us in football recruiting and basketball is a different animal where buzz just does his thing and it doesn't seem to matter what other programs around us are doing.

frenchtoast
Good move by Drew. There's nothing else he needs to prove.

LOL at Kentucky's temporary embarrassment.
Sterling82
frenchtoast said:

Good move by Drew. There's nothing else he needs to prove.

LOL at Kentucky's temporary embarrassment.

Yep. I enjoy seeing Kentucky being rejected more than seeing Baylor lose their coach.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
bobinator said:

Yeah, he'd turned down some other jobs too, but Kentucky is Kentucky.

But he's already won a national title at ****ing Baylor, Drew doesn't have anything left to prove to anyone so I wasn't completely certain he'd want the Kentucky job. He's got everything you could ever want at Baylor and he's already shown he can win the whole thing there. Only thing was if he wanted to prove something to himself or go be on the big stage for a while to see what it's like.

Or get a boatload of $$$ before he retires...
CapCityAg89
AG
bobinator said:

This is absolutely me.

I had a chat today with some coworkers about OJ. When I was a kid, he was my hero. Pulled himself from nothing. Dominated college football and then the NFL. Actor. Everything. The murder, car chase and trial killed me. My heart (not my head) can't reconcile my feelings as a kid with what I heard. He HAD to be innocent.

That's Drew. In reverse. All else aside, what he did at Baylor is remarkable and maybe the best coaching job of all time. I have no idea what else could be considered close. One player killing another and the HC covering it up. To a national championship. Amazing. But it's Scott Punk-ass Drew. AAU guy. At BAYLOR. Yuck yuck yuck.
Pumpkinhead
AG
reported by Pilgrim on Kentucky side a little while ago that Kentucky is offering an 8 year, $100 million dollar contract to Hurley to try to get him to bite. G** Da**! if true. Now THAT is a 'money-whip' attempt to try to buy the shiniest toy.
EliteZags
AG
would be awesome if they hired the Awful Coaching guy to a 3 year $500K contract

LawHall88
AG
CapCityAg89
AG
"UKs search continues." That's some cold ass **** right there.
Proposition Joe
The history of TexAgs has some realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly cold Scott Drew takes.
bobinator
AG
At least a lot of them were true at the time though. There was a time where Drew was one of the worst in-game X's and O's guys out there.

Never imagined he'd get to where he is now.
DTP02
AG
bobinator said:

At least a lot of them were true at the time though. There was a time where Drew was one of the worst in-game X's and O's guys out there.

Never imagined he'd get to where he is now.

Yeah, the truth is Drew got a whole lot better as a coach. He grew and evolved, and he also started recruiting different players.
BQ_90
AG
Proposition Joe said:

The history of TexAgs has some realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly cold Scott Drew takes.
but thank goodness that's all in the past and now we have you and hop in constant ***** fight
Proposition Joe
BQ_90 said:

Proposition Joe said:

but thank goodness that's all in the past and now we have you and hop in constant ***** fight

Sounds like someone has some historical Drew posts he isn't proud of?
BQ_90
AG
Proposition Joe said:

BQ_90 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Sounds like someone has some historical Drew posts he isn't proud of?
oh i'm sure, Drew was horrible X O coach early on. He's maybe one of the few that actually learned and changed over time. Most think their **** don't stink and never would change.

maybe this is new era where coaches don't just take the money and run. Although I'm sure he'll be set for life with the money BU will pay him.
bobinator
AG
Will also speed up the court naming and statue outside the building if he doesn't leave them.
BQ_90
AG
Don't they already have like three names for the arena and court. I just hope the pigeons really make use of the statue
bobinator
AG
I think his defense is the most obvious example of how much he changed and/or brought in people that could help him.

His teams used to play the laziest 2-3 defense I've ever seen from a major college team that still won games. They had two finishes inside the KenPom top 50 in defensive efficiency in his first ten seasons, despite the team overall finishing there six times. They've had six teams finish inside it since then. (Though they took huge steps back last year and this year, was Tang the defense guy?)
Sterling82
Pumpkinhead said:

reported by Pilgrim on Kentucky side a little while ago that Kentucky is offering an 8 year, $100 million dollar contract to Hurley to try to get him to bite. G** Da**! if true. Now THAT is a 'money-whip' attempt to try to buy the shiniest toy.

Desperate to show everyone that UK can get whoever they want. And now, more egg on the face. Ha ha!
Baylor81
bobinator said:

I think his defense is the most obvious example of how much he changed and/or brought in people that could help him.

His teams used to play the laziest 2-3 defense I've ever seen from a major college team that still won games. They had two finishes inside the KenPom top 50 in defensive efficiency in his first ten seasons, despite the team overall finishing there six times. They've had six teams finish inside it since then. (Though they took huge steps back last year and this year, was Tang the defense guy?)

Had some great convos around these parts back in the day about SD vs BCG before either blew up. This was a great message board for hoops junkies back then because everybody else was distracted by football.

As a Baylor Homer, I thought BCG was the better coach objectively, but SD was the better fit at his respective school because he's right of central casting for Baylor. I think it would be a mighty struggle to find a better fit for any given school than SD for Baylor.

Two interesting tidbits here with hindsight.

SD got to short circuit the typical pathway to P5 job by jumping into the Baylor mess. I felt 20+ years ago that while some distaste for Drew from other coaches was perhaps warranted as he was a brash young buck, a part of it was resentment by the older coaches in the league that Drew didn't have to pay his dues in coaching outposts to finally get a big time job. He got Valpo due to family and then jumped to the Baylor job at 32.

The other part is that while other coaches spent their 20s, 30s, and 40s making mistakes in the relative obscurity of lesser conferences, Drew had to take his hits on ESPN in front of packed arenas. It turns out experience matters.

Drew has made me ponder whether ADs should be more patient and put coaches on a much longer timeline to give coaches the opportunity to LEARN and get better on the job at P5 schools. Practically, it'll never happen because it would be career and perhaps even life ending (I jest) for an AD to do that. But Drew has served as a very interesting case study in that regard.
LawHall88
AG
Not where I expected this to end up if true.
bobinator
AG
He was also cheating his ass off for a while. He was getting good enough players to still put a good team on the floor despite some of his coaching shortcomings. I think that's probably the bigger reason a lot of fellow coaches hated him.

But the game is the game. Don't get caught and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

It was almost a "fake it til you make it" situation.
Proposition Joe
"He was cheating" is typically the calling card of the teams that aren't having as much success.

We were playing the game, just not as well.
Ag_EE_88
AG
People talking about Drew being one who actually changed and grew. I think a big part of him being able/willing to do that is that he was really young when he got the baylor gig. Most other head coaches get jobs when they are much older and are already set in what they do. It will be interesting to see if he continues to grow/change/adapt from here now that he's older.

Also, some have pondered whether you should keep your head coaches longer to see if they can change/adapt. It's a lot easier to hold on to a young coach and give them a couple more years to do that. If you are hiring guys who are already near 50 or older, the chances are that they don't have that 20 years to make those changes and their ability/desire to take on new challenges becomes less and less every year. Pretty much goes for just about every other occupation as well. You generally aren't going to hire some 60 year old to learn the latest programming language and to be your lead developer. And also, baylor really didn't have much to lose with where their program was when drew was hired to give him a couple more years to grow into the job.
bobinator
AG
Eh, what they were doing was pretty above and beyond. That's why it pissed off so many other coaches.
bobinator
AG

Quote:

It will be interesting to see if he continues to grow/change/adapt from here now that he's older.

What's strange is it almost seems like he's gone back the other way. He hit on this "get old, stay old" thing before the transfer portal was even a thing. They had success bringing in guys from lower levels, even redshirting players, so they just had tons of experience.

But now they're almost back to the late 00's way of just loading up on recruits and those guys cycling through the program pretty quick.
Faustus
Baylor81 said:

bobinator said:

Had some great convos around these parts back in the day about SD vs BCG before either blew up. This was a great message board for hoops junkies back then because everybody else was distracted by football.
. . .
As an opposing fan (Baylor in this case) this is the type of thread you like to read on rivals' message boards, especially bobinator's post.

Quote:

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.