Scott Drew to Kentucky

8,736 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Proposition Joe
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bobinator said:

Eh, what they were doing was pretty above and beyond. That's why it pissed off so many other coaches.

Just like accusations of cheating is the calling card of teams that aren't having as much success, other coaches being pissed off is the calling card of coaches that don't like a new team finding success.

The other coaches trying to constantly call out Drew for ultimately playing the game better and out-hustling them?

No different than the **** we listened to about our #1 recruiting class in football. Suddenly Saban, Kiffin, etc... all taking shots.
bobinator
AG
Believe what you want man.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

Believe what you want man.

I mean, do you have examples/proof of the shady stuff Drew was doing that the NCAA apparently was turning a blind eye to?

I've seen talk of over-the-limit recruit contacts and negative recruiting and the like -- stuff that every other program in the nation has been guilty of at one time or another. But you telling me post murder scandal and during the baylor football probe that this guy was running a cheating/shady program for 20 years and just managed to avoid getting caught?

It's 99% sour grapes. Losing teams that want to point to a reason they aren't winning and how they are "doing it the right way", and winning teams not liking someone disrupting the status quo. From 2005-2009 Baylor lost 11 straight games to the longhorns... then they peeled off 4 in a row (and 7 out of 9). And suddenly you start hearing negative things from other schools? I bet.
bobinator
AG
I absolutely believe it to be true based on stuff I was told/heard/saw at the time, so believe me or not, I don't care. I don't have 20 year old texts and screen shots in a secret folder anywhere or something.

I do think they got to a point where they were no longer needing to do it, and like I mentioned I think Drew kind of figured out it's hard to sustain a true winning culture that way and hit on this "get old, stay old" idea. I don't think they've just been blatantly abusing the rules for 20+ years, I think there was a 4-5ish year stretch toward the beginning of the Drew era where he was doing it and it kind of kick-started some of their success.
Divining Rod
EliteZags said:

UK board:

Quote:

He is the Honda Accord of hires

Then they're in luck, because the KY basketball program has been anything but reliable recently.
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

I absolutely believe it to be true based on stuff I was told/heard/saw at the time, so believe me or not, I don't care. I don't have 20 year old texts and screen shots in a secret folder anywhere or something.

I do think they got to a point where they were no longer needing to do it, and like I mentioned I think Drew kind of figured out it's hard to sustain a true winning culture that way and hit on this "get old, stay old" idea. I don't think they've just been blatantly abusing the rules for 20+ years, I think there was a 4-5ish year stretch toward the beginning of the Drew era where he was doing it and it kind of kick-started some of their success.

And I guess what I'm saying is I don't doubt what you heard, but every fanbase in America has heard things about rival/regional schools or opponents they face. A whole lot of things were heard about Texas A&M's #1 recruiting class.

I don't doubt there was some shady stuff going on, but there was shady stuff going on at every major conference school. Hell, some basketball fans use to rail on other schools for going for coach "package deals", when we were right there like everyone else offering guys jobs to get the kid to follow.

For a program that was coming off one of the biggest scandals of all time, I have a hard time believe anything that egregious was going on and just managed to avoid the eyes of the NCAA or actual proof leaking.

Not asking you to surface 20 year old unsealed files or anything, but most signs point to fans/coaches that simply did not like a program like Baylor making headway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.