Gillispies fate was sealed after his Arkansas dance

10,073 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by Skull Session
BostonAg74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
There is no conspiracy, no real drama, and no lie

Again, the Kentucky move is not the issue. The issue is a pattern of duplicity going back to January. It's not one or two Internet crackpots saying he initiated contact with Arkansas back then. It's coming from a number of unrelated sources. Names and dates and places are being revealed. Conspiracy? No. Drama? Where have you been hiding? Lies? About four months worth, to players, recruits, parents of recruits, fans and Athletic Department personnel. This is not just story of personal ambition. It's a story of the path of destruction left by a phenomenally talented but morally bankrupt basketball coach. Tell Stan Heath it's no big deal.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Any references to any of this? I want to believe some of this, but would like to see something a little more credible than just forum talk. (Of course, Texags has been a pretty credible source in the past, I suppose.)
stallion6
AG
Orlando, I think that most here are saying that BCG demonstrated a lack of character. BCG, like any coach, has the right to seek employment anywhere. How he did that is what is frustrating to the Aggie faithful.
Quick Slant
BostonAg is not an idiot. These are solid observations. Most folks in the inner circles though BCG was gone and have been planning for it well before the past week or so. We tried to do our best to prevent the Arkie deal but BCG was not to be denied. He ended up with the best of all offseason jobs as it turns out but he was a man with a wandering eye no doubt.
old yeller
AG
"The one individual I feel got royally screwed was Stan Heath. Most Razorback fans didn't really care for his style of ball (slow-it-down, half-court), but everyone had a lot of respect for him as a person."

And they thought Billy' style of ball was going to be more exciting?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
From everything I have heard, BostonAg is pretty much spot on, Orlando sounds like Dallas*** reincarnated
BaronVonAggie
AG
I'm tired of hearing the stuff about 'he wanted to compete at the highest level blah, blah'.
This is the same stuff that the media has been bleating for the past 3 years. They've done nothing but put down A&M and boost Gillispie for the past 3 years.

I really, really want to bring in a top quality coach who can win here just to prove that its as much the institution as Gillispie.
Capstone
AG
That's one of the things I don't understand about KYs thought process... coaching style. I get their first choice of BD in Florida. He plays an up-tempo game, but BG is much more of a grind it out, in your face type coach. I don't see BG ever changing - and I don't see the Cat faithful putting up with it for long.
BaronVonAggie
AG
Thats another flaw of Gillispie he made no attempt to be humble in the media and give a little credit to A&M or the players or fans. He was happy to grin up there on the tv and promote himself above the institution and players. I never liked that.
Ozzy Osbourne
Thanks for your insider info Wendy... keep it coming
94chem
quote:
Again, the Kentucky move is not the issue.

Well, it kind of is for Kentucky, because they just paid a guy 2.3 million a year who was being kicked out the door by his previous employer, not to mention that they may have wanted to do some more due diligence, in retrospect. Now they've got a coach they overpaid for, who may have some baggage they didn't know about. I'm not sure KY can be entirely happy about this.
kjaneway
AG
I don't give a rat's butt about UK's problems. He's THEIR problem now, not our's.

BostonAg is right on, from everything I've heard.

Good post, BA....good observations.
kjaneway
AG
ddp

[This message has been edited by janag81 (edited 4/6/2007 11:07p).]
texasaggies987
bogustrumper
AG
BA- amazing stuff and I think it is correct ...as I have said before Kentucky will eat this guy alive.

Can't say it enough but this is one messed up POS.

Working all the angles! Just amazing...wonder what his mentor at Kansas thinks about him now?

BA put it best ...the guy has no ethics.

He has run himself out of Aggieland and into a situation that has no outs. This is it. There are no free passes. NIT? Are you kidding me? Sweet 16 next season or the heat will be on. He doesn't realize it but the party is over. He won't make it past 3 years.

What a lying sack of sh.t
Player To Be Named Later
AG
But .... but..... but...... I thought he handled this like ALL coaches would and besides, a man's word is his bond and he TOLD US that he didn't have any discussions with ANYONE from sasnakrA.

Don't ever cross that Red River again you sack of crap.

"Romans 13:4"

jimmyp
AG
**** it. Piss off BCG. That's my last post on the subject.

[This message has been edited by jimmyp (edited 4/6/2007 11:40p).]
good ol boy
And this is why Aggies are pissed off.
Post removed:
by user
Space91
AG
Can't say I feel any sympathy for how Billy screwed the pigs.
moz
What did we do that was wrong?

We didn't know it was wrong...
BostonAg74
quote:
Can't say I feel any sympathy for how Billy screwed the pigs

Yeah, we all know what a slime Broyles is, and their fans were awfully cocky about what they thought was a sure thing, but what about Stan Heath, who by all accounts is a good coach and a decent guy. A fellow coach schemed behind his back for at least four months, and maybe longer, to get him fired, just to create an opening he MIGHT be interested in. That's even slimier than Broyles.
SigChiDad
AG
Boston Ag is dead on. The guy that got screwed over far more than us is Stan Heath. BCG is like all of us, some good, some bad. But his bad the last 4 months really sucks.
Bobaloo
Finding out about the flirtation with Arkansas was like discovering that your wife had been banging the stock boy at Wal-Mart.

***end of quote***

Best quote I've read on the internet in a long time. A very good overall post.
Pure Aggie
AG
Boston Ags account meshes with the other 'independent' research I’ve done, and PAID for.

( i’m finding it very amusing now that some posters want instant access, proof, citations, links to the work of others who are interested enough to do the digging and pay the fees to get source info. then, if they don’t instantly put their hard work at their disposal, for free, well, it's nothing but innuendo and speculation. best to just ignore those who want something for free, while contributing nothing. )

anyway, based on myriad reliable accounts, there’s no doubt the guy is ethical trash, and i'm glad we're done with him.
Buglerank62
AG
Suffice it to say Billy's tenure here started well and ended badly. I am convinced he was looking for something better some time ago and he knew he would jump for a more "prestigious" job. He used A&M (and Arkansas for that matter), but we benefitted from him being here too. He showed us what basketball can be at College Station and laid a foundation. Now we need to move on and build on that foundation. This is the first year (alright the second year) where I really got into March madness. Prior to that I concentrated on Spring football. I actually drove up for a game from Houston and enjoyed it thoroughly. I crave more of that and I can assure you BB will give us a coach to continue that. We all got a taste of basketball fever and it was noticed around the nation with us being in the top ten most of the year. Beating KU at KU was a monumental achievement. We will not only survive, we will thrive. Time to get over Billy G. and get ready to support the new guy.
Old Jock 1997
AG
quote:
( i’m finding it very amusing now that some posters want instant access, proof, citations, links to the work of others who are interested enough to do the digging and pay the fees to get source info. then, if they don’t instantly put their hard work at their disposal, for free, well, it's nothing but innuendo and speculation. best to just ignore those who want something for free, while contributing nothing. )

The argument could be made that it's also a little irresponsible to post a bunch of outlandish claims and provide no support for them whatsoever. In some circles, that would be called libel, particularly if you had no ability to prove your claims. Expecting some honesty and at least partial disclosure here isn't much different than expecting it from ESPN.com or SI. com, IMO.

That being said, the more I read, the more I am convinced these rumors have teeth, regardless of direct links or quotes.

And if you're looking for a big pat on the back and a thanks for your hard, underappreciated work...thanks, and pat your own back for me!
Pure Aggie
AG
quote:
The argument could be made that it's also a little irresponsible to post a bunch of outlandish claims and provide no support for them whatsoever.
absolutely, agree 100%! and i would have thought it was obvious those arent what i'm talking about. only a true idiot would put any stock in 'outlandish' claims with no support whatsoever, so why even respond to those... they should be dismissed by without commment, so as to 'not feed the trolls'.
socalpoohah
2 to 3 weeks ago, he was as big as Jesus...now he is Judas...ah, the joy of TexAgs...
Skull Session
I'll tell you this if UK wouldn't have come calling and he would have signed the extension and all this stuff about Arkansas, which now appears to be very true, would have started coming out, I would've been very unhappy with him staying. It would basically give other schools a recruiting advantage over him knowing that he tried hard to the Arkansas job and had previous contact with UK behind the Bill Byrne's back. It would have been a bad situation until he left for parts unknown the next year. We are really fortunate that he did get the UK job so we can move on this year instead of having a lame duck for a coach into 2008. Didn't seem like it at the time, but it was a good thing for both parties that he got the hell out of town.
rb585
quote:
Boston Ags account meshes with the other 'independent' research I’ve done, and PAID for.

So basically, you're paying websites for rumors which have so little credibility that NO ONE in the mainstream media will run with them?

And you're bragging about that?

Fool and his money...
Old Jock 1997
AG
rb585,

FWIW, the same thing happened with Fran's hiring at A&M and Bomar's trouble at OU...they started as "unsubstantiated rumors" on Texags, were found out to be true, and spread like wildfire.

The next days and weeks will be interesting. I guarantee you some watchful eyes are following this closely and investigating these "rumors", and if they're found to be true, they'll spread.
HoyaSaxa
Unless Gillispie signed on the dotted line at either Arkansas or Texas A&M, he could have said whatever he wanted. The entire situation would have been a lot worse for Gillispie if he had actually signed the extension and THEN bailed for the UK job (like the former Rice football coach did before going to Tulsa).

Gillispie actually showed more integrity than Dana Altman, who went so far as to appear in a public rally at Arkansas, THEN bail out, embarrassing the entire university. If indeed Gillispie told Arkansas he would come, why would Arkansas take that hook line and sinker? It says more about Arkansas than Gillispie.

The UK job is not some face-saving position that was a golden parachute. It's one of the top 3 jobs in college basketball, one of the Top 10 in college sports and one of the Top 20 in all of sports. Whether we like it or not, Gillispie played his cards for his case just right. He didn't sign the extension, took a pass on Arkansas and even if he wasn't even the first or second choice at Kentucky, when they come calling, did you really think he cared?

war hymn aggie
AG
good post BostonAg.
FireAg
AG
Anyone doubting what BostonAg is saying is wrong.

From the looks of other info out there, Boston is a very perceptive person.

Nice work, Boston!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.