Gillispies fate was sealed after his Arkansas dance

10,083 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by Skull Session
rb585
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:

FWIW, the same thing happened with Fran's hiring at A&M and Bomar's trouble at OU...they started as "unsubstantiated rumors" on Texags, were found out to be true, and spread like wildfire.

Should we list the "unsubstantiated rumors" on Texags that turned out to be false?

Nah, that would break the whole freakin' internet.
FireAg
AG
rb-

If this was completely bogus, staff would have yanked the thread by now.
sharpdressedman
People who have substance abusers in their families know they are consumate liars. BCG's dishonesty regarding the Arkansas debacle will get the national attention it deserves, and so will he.
Old Jock 1997
AG
The poor manner in which he left is already getting a lot of talk from the sports radio commentators in San Antonio, so as this thing unfolds, I expect to hear more on ESPN and other TV stations.
rb585
quote:

The stories of him cutting his own deal back in January would have eventually surfaced, and angry Arkansas boosters would have made sure that all the details of the early contact were made public.

Then why haven't they done so already?

There's not a single mention of this on any Pig board that I could find.
rb585
quote:
If this was completely bogus, staff would have yanked the thread by now.

They didn't yank all the threads about BCG staying, and that was completely bogus, wasn't it?
BigD Ag
rcb: the stories of his agreeing to Arkansas and then backing out have already surfaced in Arkansas -- both on message boards and newspapers. Many on here called them propaganda to make BCG look bad, etc.

Gig 'em
Redstone
AG
shady shady shady
xfactor91
The blue tie at the Louisville game was a dead giveaway. It is obvious that something was happening (some contact) in the last few months. It is also obvious that BG didn't have the patience for A&M to become a powerhouse in basketball, and was more interested in other more-elite programs from the start.

mae1778a
quote:

You must not be looking very hard.
Alices Restaurant
One of the best threads of the weekend needs to be ttt.

I find this ironic since I think BostonAg74 is insane when it comes to politics.

In sports, he's always dead-on.

[This message has been edited by Alices Restaurant (edited 4/8/2007 1:15p).]
agdad53
First time poster. Not an alum, but I am a military brat who likes many things about Aggie culture and tradition and has a daughter at A&M. I've been following closely the Gillispie departure saga and am curious about one thing: Is it generally believed that he wanted out of A&M and initiated the contact with Arkansas or Arkansas was unhappy with Hatch and decided it wanted to begin unoffical communications with him to have a good replacement ready if Hatch were let go?
TexasAggieJTL
AG
BostonAg74,

Just read your post. Excellent summary.
jsdaltxag
This whole situation is not quite as bad as finding out your wife is banging the stock boy at Wal-Mart; but I love the analogy.

You do have to kick them to the curb though. BCG made his decision and like one poster mentioned BB told him if you get on the plane it's over. Hat's off to BB. I have complete faith in him to keep the ship going in the right direction.
Alices Restaurant
ttt
4stringAg
AG
quote:
2 to 3 weeks ago, he was as big as Jesus...now he is Judas...ah, the joy of TexAgs

Has nothing to do with TexAgs schizophrenia and more to do with finding out negative things about someone most of us thought was genuine. If you found out today your best friend had been railing your girlfriend or wife for 3 months, he was still your best friend 2 weeks ago but now he'd be a schmuck.
4stringAg
AG
quote:
Gillispie actually showed more integrity than Dana Altman, who went so far as to appear in a public rally at Arkansas, THEN bail out, embarrassing the entire university

From a few reports on Memphis radio, Altman is falling on his sword so to speak to avoid dragging Arkansas' name through the mud. There are things he found out about the program after he agreed to be their coach that caused him to do the 180.

Again, this is all rumors, but if its true then I'd say it shows a high degree of integrity on Altman's part to make himself look the fool to avoid trashing a program's reputation.
Frisco - Ag
agdad53
Whether BCG initiated contact with Arkansas or let them know he was interested after learning their interest in him, I'm curious to know why his interest. (I'm assuming he had given Arkansas indirect assurances of serious interest.) I don't view Arkansas as providing greater potential for winning than A&M, and winning appears to be BCG's driving motivation. What caused him to decide he wanted out of A&M well before a "dream" job like UK opened? Salary and facilities wouldn't seem to be the explanation; he must have known he could push A&M to provide more of them soon. Thoughts?

FTAggies
why didn't billy go to arkansas?
was it because kentucky called and that job opened up? cause it seems that he was committed and going to arkie and Heath was fired, it was all set up for bcg to go to arkie. I agree with skull session though, i think it best that he left, if it came out he had tried to go to arkie and then that deal fell through and we got stuck with him, we would not like him around at all

poor stan heath though, he got screwed completely because ark went after a better coach, or a hotter coach either way
strbrst777
Good riddance! Kentucky's loss will be A&M's gain. Time will tell. and I come down on the side that time will reveal that Kentucky bought a pig in a poke.
Slack Jaw
AG
Nice summary BostonAg. You hit a bunch of my thoughts on the head. My only addition would be, who hired BCG and who's hiring the next guy? Based on BB's recent history, I'm thinking he's got a list of 5-8 names that's he's pursuing with a bunch of money.
mcraggie07
AG

At First:
Gillispie was asked about the Kentucky vacancy midway through fielding questions about his team's 65-64 loss to Memphis in the South Regional semifinal of the NCAA Tournament.

"I don't worry about that," Gillispie said. "I'm honest with my players."

And then...
"I'm shocked that it actually happened," Texas A&M sophomore starter Josh Carter said. "I got a text message this morning [from Gillispie] that said Kentucky was talking to him, but I'd like to hear he took the job from him, not SportsCenter."

"I'm pretty confused about the whole situation," junior starting guard Dominique Kirk said. "I thought everything was done, and he'd be back next year, but unfortunately it didn't happen that way."

http://www.aggiesports.com/stories/032407/mbasketball_20070324001.php
http://www.aggiesports.com/stories/040707/mbasketball_20070407010.php
AMF 2 AMC
AG
I agree with the original post. The big question is why was he looking for an out in the first place.

My guess is he got into it with BB about the facilities. Either that, or thought that he wouldn't be able to manage further improvement next season (ie, he thought his stock might drop).

I feel pretty confident that BB had had enough of the tail wagging the dog. He was probably willing to tolerate him being difficult, but couldn't afford for it to be public. BB has an image to maintain with the other Aggie coaches and staff as well as potential coaches.

If Gillispie was talking with the piggies, BB might have used the opportunity to call him out. When Gillispie knew the gig was up, he got out while the getting was good.

What I don't understand is why Gillispie lost his nerve. He's been cool as a cucumber since before he got here, but he left without meeting his players, didn't have anything to say about A&M at his UK press conference. He knows the game, and it just amazes me that he wouldn't take the time or make the effort to do it right.

I'm guessing that BB held off construction on the new facility to let Gillispie know who was in charge. I think that pissed Billy off and he lost his cool as time went on. If Billy had honored the contract that was supposedly agreed to in principle, ground would have been broken last Monday after a nice friendly press conference announcing Gillispie was staying.

In the end, I think BB gambled and won. Gillispie chose to leave rather than mend fences or admit he had overstepped his bounds. He seems to think that as long as he's winning, nothing else matters and he should get what he wants when he wants it. He should have talked more with Shelby; he would have learned different.

Now he's at a place where he'll never be as big as the history of the program. He'll learn to like it, or move on.
Guinea
I agree with Boston. To me, there is just something wrong with a man who places a game over everything else in his life. He is a good coach, but not someone to respect and idol. I've always thought there was something shady about him, but wasn't willing to say it while he was our coach.

What really upsets me is how he handled the situation with the players that busted their asses for him for the past few years. He expects a voicemail and text messages to be sufficient? Complete slime and no backbone. I have a few sources that know the players, and all of them said that BCG said he would be back next year. I guess loyalty means nothing now. And it does make me appreciate Fran a little more. Sure he left Alabama, but he did it with class. He turned down a contract extension outright and wanted to meet with his players, but they wouldn't let him.

BB needs to hire someone who is interested in the long haul, not someone trying to make a resume. And we'd like to think that A&M is a great job when it comes to basketball, but the reality of it is that it's going to be hard work. We are beginning to look for more than just dance appearances. We have tasted the thrills of victory and are hungry for more. I have faith in BB to find the right man for the job and that we will be a great basketball power in the Big 12 next season and for seasons to come.

Gig 'em!
aaronh2005
While I was suprised that BCG actually left I don't really blame him either. He was playing the coaching game. If any of you have been close to a coach or have a parent or family member that is a coach then you know this story all too well. He flirted with other schools to test the water. This coaching position was NOT a loyalty issue. I would consider it a loyalty issue if the man was here for 10 years. Truth is that he was only here for 3. I believe the average turn over is about 3-4 years at a coaching job anyways. Now don't get me wrong, I wish the man was more up front about leaving, instead of hearing it on ESPN and whatnot, but really what more is there to say about the situation. He didn't sign any paper work and went to what he thought would be best for his career. I believe ultimately that many of you make the same decisions reguarding your career daily. He did a great job while he was here and got the program started. I personally can't wait til the new guy comes in. I would like to see MT or a former NBA coach. Long live Aggie Basketball
Barnacle
AG
Guinea, I agree with your post except for the part about how Fran left 'bama. He handled it just as poorly if not worse than KFC. He didn't say goodbye to his players and he kept denying that he was leaving. He was getting all self righteous and ****ed at the reporters.

I am glad that Fran seems to have adopted A&M and loves it here. The contrast with KFC is eye opening.
Alices Restaurant
quote:

I am glad that Fran seems to have adopted A&M and loves it here. The contrast with KFC is eye opening.

Why do people keep saying this?

TKC didn't adopt A&M, and although Fran tried, he's not exactly a fit; never has been. You can spin this to make HIM look better, but he's still the same old Fran....someone who hasn't won enough going into his 5th season.
robgigem
AG
Aggies do not lie, cheat, or steal,
nor do they tolerate those who do.

Good Riddance Kentucky Coach!

I for one feel kinda bad about some opinions I've held towards $Bill.

If what you posted is true BostonAg, which I do not doubt is, hats off to you.
Ag97
AG
The one thing that stands out to me is the "no buy-out" clause in the contract. There wasn't a buyout. It seems to me if a coach wanted it as easy as possible to move on to a better opportunity they would have a contract with no buy-out. Why wasn't there a buy-out in BCG's contract? As a athletic director I'm sure BB would like to have one so we have some compensation if somebody wants our coach. Since there wasn't one I'm guessing BCG has been wanting out since he got here and was only using us as a stepping stone to his next gig.

I loved BCG as a coach but thinking back on it he never really embraced Texas A&M like we embraced him.

Ag97
Aggie_Fanatic
AG
quote:

Good Lord man, were you born yesterday? Either you really were born yesterday rcb, or you have the worst case of BCG can do no wrong glasses in history. All that stuff was everywhere the week that ark was blown off by gillispie. It was on all their boards, it was all they were talking about. They brought it over here. It was in the papers. Where were you?
adamhorn
Don't you understand that a coach like Gillespie is what you need?

You've had one championship since the 1930s in ANY sport if i'm not mistaken.

"Buying into the A ggy spirit" has done nothing for you.

And why wasn't Fran put under the same scrutiny when he threw Bama under the bus? Why don't y'all explain that?

[This message has been edited by adamhorn (edited 4/9/2007 6:29a).]
Skull Session
Fran had a problem with Mal Moore, the AD at Bama and felt that he wasn't told the truth concerning the magnitude of the NCAA violations of the program prior to his accepting the job. They were much worse than suspected and new info was coming to light during his tenure. Fran didn't want to try and win through the probationary period. As it played out they have since gotten rid of Frans successor and have had to pay through the nose to bring a suitcase coach in Nick Saban to try and resurrect the program. Fran of course is still here at A&M else he would have most likely been looking for a job as Bama coach in the last couple of years. Basically he got out while the gettin was good.

TKC created most of his problems here at A&M. He went behind the AD's back to cultivate the Arkansas job. Complained about the conference, the non-conference attendance, the speed of the new facility being built, you name it. In the meantime he was given a raise every year, had a substantial contract on the table with NO buyout clause, gotten raises for his assistant coaches, had input on the new facility's design, attendance was going through the roof in conference and then opted to take UK job while leaving Arkansas high and dry and thumbing his nose at his players and A&M. Go figure!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.