Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,240,538 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tamc91
Whiser09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fdt88rv
AG
Thanks Doc!
FDT88RV Marine to the Corps
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
Thank you for taking the time, doc.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thank you for posting this, Dr.

But this
Quote:

I know sucks having a t.u. diploma but I hang it upside down
can be addressed in two distinct ways.

1. Regardless of what we all think of that little brother pissant school to our west, obtaining that degree represents a lot of work on your part and is quite an impressive accomplishment of which you should be proud ...

or

2. You are a truly Red-Ass Aggie!
hillcountryag86
AG
When is the anticipated date for an available vaccine?

And thank you for doing this.
TexasAggie73
AG
Great and easy to read info. My wife use to be Chief Epidemiologist for Harris County. Glad she retired 5 years ago.
Do you have a relative named Fourth in Bracketville?
gigemJTH12
AG
Thank you so much!
SW AG80
AG
Big help. Thanks.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Reveille said:

How long are they contagious?

We really don't know yet! But patients can shed RNA from 1-4 weeks after symptom resolution, but it is unknown if the presence of RNA equals presence of infectious virus. For now, COVID-1 9 patients are "cleared" of isolation once they have 2 consecutive negative RNA tests collected 24 hours apart.
Thank you for the information Dr. Reveille, it is very much appreciated.
MouthBQ98
AG
Several family members have obstructive sleep apnea and use a CPAP. Is that considered an elevated risk factor?
2frog
AG
Great information. Thank you for posting and sharing the link.
BohunkAg
AG
Great info, thanks Doc.
gonzoag
AG
GREAT INFO. SENT YOUR LINK TO ALL MY LOVE ONES. YOUR ARE RIGHT WE NEED TO LISTEN TO THE DOCOTRS AND NOT THE MEDIA.

JB99
AG
would someone with Asthma be at a higher risk since this is respiratory related?
padreislandagfan
Thank you, this is great info.
Reveille
AG
As for vaccine one has been developed right here in Texas already. It is currently being tested on dogs, but as to when it will be available to the general public who knows. It will have to be proven to be effective and safe in dogs. After that they will start human testing. All of these things take time and it is anyone's guess as to when it will be done. Normally this is a 5+ year process. Trump wants it done within 18 months which sounded extremely optimistic at the time. But now, I suspect everything will be expedited and it could be available in a little of over a year. Maybe even sooner because the usual liberal roadblocks are not being vocal about stopping it right now.

There are also at least 8 other companies working on vaccines that I know of probably way more than that. All of these are racing to get a working vaccine to the world as soon as possible.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HunterAggie
If everyone will star"Reveille" posts, it will make them "blue" and easier to scan / read.

Thanks, Doc !
75AG
AG
Doc, thanks for all your info! Will those who tested positive, and recovered, have developed some immunity?
old yeller
AG
Good stuff. Thanks, Rev.
Agristotle
AG
A public service for the board, thanks for taking the time.
Science Denier
AG
Memo to staff:

Please don't move this thread to the pub.

TIA

Thanks OP for this thread. Extremely helpful!!!
dshedd41
S
Thank you Doc for doing this,
I don't have any kids except the furry kind. What is your advice on coronavirus and dogs?
Gig’em Aggies!
Proposition Joe
A million times thank you for this thread.

Question/Opinion: My father is 74 with Type 2 diabetes. My mother is 72 recovering breast cancer (surgery last year, all clear as of now), but has had a cough for 10 years that she swears the doctor says isn't anything. Neither are smokers since the late 1980s. Both still pretty active. My dad works at the public library.

My sister is returning from skiing in Colorado with her family (husband and 3 elementary age children). My mom is "super grandmom" and typically helps babysit or tote the kids from place to place 3-4 times a week.

I have offered to drop everything and take over her duties so as to keep them from being around 3 kids that have been around god knows what (especially depending on what the school district does next week).

I've already gotten pushback on it from my mother, and my sister isn't super receptive about it. Am I wrong for pushing back as hard as I can and saying "don't be an idiot, its for a couple of weeks until we see how this plays out" ?

Basically I'd like a medical professional to tell me -- am I somewhat over-reacting or being smart and need to push it?
KlinkerAg11
AG
Thank God for you and this thread.
Reveille
AG
Yes we do believe once you have recovered from it you will have some immunity. Your body will have plasma cells which are essentially memory cells and they contain the instructions on how to defeat the virus. This is the basic concept of vaccines.

Think of like building a huge swing set fort for your kids out back. It has 250 pieces and takes you 3 days to build because you make mistakes and have to go back redo parts. This is essentially what your body is doing to fight a new infection. It doesn't know what how to do it so starts trying everything it can.

Once you have built it, if you do another for your friends it is much easier.. This time you do it in only one day because you know how to do it. Your body basically keeps a set of instructions on how to make antibodies that can kill the virus once it knows how so the next time it sees it can immediately mass produce the correct antibodies and the virus can not replicate in you so thus you don't get ill.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Can COVID19 be transferred simply by breathing next to someone?
theNetSmith
AG
One-Eyed Fat Man said:

Hi Doc. Thanks for this information.

Could you post this information on a public thread. I'd like to be able to share the link with others/
Glancing at the list of Reveille's recent posts, it does not appear that he cross-posted to any other forums, but I had the same thought. I think this needs to be posted in the Zoo/GB as well.

Doc?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
"Chest CT?" On a pregnant pt? Umm is that medically necessary?

That's ~7 mSv vs .1 mSv for a chest x-ray.
WestAustinAg
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Several family members have obstructive sleep apnea and use a CPAP. Is that considered an elevated risk factor?
sjeffery80
AG
Thanks Doc. Why do you think we have the mass hysteria over this virus compared to previous viruses of the past 20 years which we know caused both significant infections and deaths? I don't recall anywhere near the mass hysteria associated with this one.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
OB would be good too.
Norton_12
AG
Best Resource I've found so far to clear things up.
Joe Rogan Experience w/ Infectious Disease Epidemiology Expert

This Podcast has featured big time guests.

They start Corona, talk a little about other infectious diseases and come back around at the end.

BIo: Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.
PJYoung
AG
Here's a TexAgs post from another thread:

Quote:

Marcus Aurelius
8:09p, 3/11/20

AG

I have a surgeon buddy who works at a hospital in Arkansas. Tells me they had a 30 y/o admitted with ARDS/respiratory failure. Long hospital course. Eventually expired. Family requested autopsy. Path report - ARDS due to, you guessed it, coronavirus. Not tested because lack of "travel hx/exposures." Egregious to me. Innumerable exposed there.

Healthy, no comorbidity. Died last week, autopsy posted yesterday. Not in the news or US statistics yet.
rausr
AG
Thanks Dr. Rev - this is the Aggie Core Value of Selfless Service in action.

Okay I will throw this question our there:
I am a goober and did not get a flu shot.
Is it too late? Is it too risky? Are those resources put to better use in more critical areas right now?

Thanks again.
Harkrider 93
AG
Reveille said:

Yes we do believe once you have recovered from it you will have some immunity. Your body will have plasma cells which are essentially memory cells and they contain the instructions on how to defeat the virus. This is the basic concept of vaccines.

Think of like building a huge swing set fort for your kids out back. It has 250 pieces and takes you 3 days to build because you make mistakes and have to go back redo parts. This is essentially what your body is doing to fight a new infection. It doesn't know what how to do it so starts trying everything it can.

Once you have built it, if you do another for your friends it is much easier.. This time you do it in only one day because you know how to do it. Your body basically keeps a set of instructions on how to make antibodies that can kill the virus once it knows how so the next time it sees it can immediately mass produce the correct antibodies and the virus can not replicate in you so thus you don't get ill.
Well, I am screwed! It took me over a week to build mine! The slide was at a 10 degree angle and not because I am safety conscious.
Last Page
Page 2 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.