*** TWISTERS ***

10,977 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Atreides Ornithopter
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Inject this into my veins.

At one point, Twisters was reportedly meant to be a legacy sequel to the first movie, with Helen Hunt rumored to return, and Daisy Edgar-Jones rumored to be playing her (and Bill Paxton's character's) daughter. Now? Edgar-Jones' character seems to be of no relation to Hunt's character (their characters have different last names), and this is officially being deemed a "standalone sequel" to the first movie. So, basically, a completely different tornado chasing movie, but under the "Twister" banner, and likely in the same universe, it just probably won't call back to any of the events or characters in the first movie, at least directly (I could potentially see there being a nod or two).

In addition to this looking like a ton of fun, and Glenn Powell starring in yet another role he seems born to play, what gives me further hope is that it's A) from Mark L. Smith, writer of 2016 Best Picture nominee The Revenant, and B) from Lee Isaac Chung, who wrote and directed the excellent indie drama and 2021 Best Picture nominee Minari. In other words, despite its blockbuster status/franchise tag, there's a bit more pedigree here than usual for similar fare.

Also, I'm not at all saying this will be near as good, or do anywhere near as much at the box office, but based on the social media reaction I saw during the Super Bowl tonight, I'm getting strong dad movie / Top Gun: Maverick vibes, in terms of nostalgia and hype. Both men and women alike, along with sports fan I usually don't see commenting on movies, all seemed absolutely stoked for this thing, and I'm right there with them.

July 19th can't get here too enough.

The newly released official synopsis, trailer, and poster below...

Quote:

"This summer, the epic studio disaster movie returns with an adrenaline-pumping, seat-gripping, big-screen thrill ride that puts you in direct contact with one of nature's most wondrous - and destructive - forces. Edgar-Jones stars as Kate Cooper, a former storm chaser haunted by a devastating encounter with tornado during her college years who now studies storm patterns on screens safely in New York City. She is lured back to the open plains by her friend, Javi (Anthony Ramos) to test a groundbreaking new tracking system. There, she crosses paths with Tyler Owens (Glen Powell), the charming and reckless social-media superstar who thrives on posting his storm-chasing adventures with his raucous crew, the more dangerous the better. As storm season intensifies, terrifying phenomena never seen before are unleashed, and Kate, Tyler and their competing teams find themselves squarely in the paths of multiple storm systems converging over central Oklahoma in the fight of their lives."

Twisters
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5782232/
July 19, 2024
Theatrical Exclusive

The Porkchop Express
Independence Day: Resurgence suddenly being challenged for ****tiest sequel to a 1996 blockbuster.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Don't worry TC, I respect you enough to keep my negativity off your happy thread. I'm out.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Very surprised about your reaction, TC. This thing is creatively bankrupt imo. Looks like a remake that is taking the entire plot of the original, whole cloth, but selling itself as a new movie.

Either do a remake or do something actually new. This is bringing nothing to the table. Just Twister with worse actors.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That said, my love of the original will get me in the theater and I hope the movie proves me wrong.
TCTTS
AG
I get your gut reaction, but the talent involved (including Spielberg producing) should at least mitigate any pre-release negativity into wait-and-see/give-it-a-chance territory.
Falcon74
AG
Terrible. Won't even watch another teaser or trailer.
Gigem314
AG
Tornadoes be gone...the Hangman's comin'

Hard to top the original, but this may have potential.

I do hope (since they're clearly featuring the Dorothy system) there are some callbacks to the original film so it doesn't just feel like a whole new universe with things borrowed from the original.

Powell's character, though different, seems to fill the cowboy-like role of Paxton from the first film. But what made the original so great was the core team didn't take themselves too seriously and allowed for some personality and humor to keep it from being too heavy ("Rabbit is good, Rabbit is wise") - so hopefully they do the same with this.

I'm in.
C@LAg
Pretty sure this moving is going to... blow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seeing the Dorothy system, similar trucks to the first one, but new characters with no connections to the OGs, it's giving this...

The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

I get your gut reaction, but the talent involved (including Spielberg producing) should at least mitigate any pre-release negativity into wait-and-see/give-it-a-chance territory.
I mean if the Super Bowl trailer doesn't get me excited, not sure how anything else is going to. The only vibe I got from it was that Hangman got kicked out of the Navy and started chasing tornadoes.

I still haven't forgiven Senor Spielbergo for botching Ready Player One.
The Porkchop Express
Phew, Spilner taking it there. The dregs of movie-making history. Ballsy. I respect it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On a lighter note, the Twister VHS had the THX intro on it, and to this day, that sound still reminds me of that movie.

Well, that and this.

Leonard H. Stringfield
Oh yeah...feed me more twisters. Seen the original multiple times and will no doubt see again. Meteorology was the 1st love, but diff equations and calculus suggested entomology. Just need another Mothra flick now..
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Very surprised about your reaction, TC. This thing is creatively bankrupt imo. Looks like a remake that is taking the entire plot of the original, whole cloth, but selling itself as a new movie.

Either do a remake or do something actually new. This is bringing nothing to the table. Just Twister with worse actors.

Hold the phone. The guy who unabashedly loves all TEN of the Fast & Furious movies is seriously critiquing another blockbuster franchise for rehashing plots/not being "original"?

Since when do we need our tornado-chasing blockbusters to be auteur works of art?

Also, while it *does* look to be taking inspiration from the first movie in terms of the general conceit, I wouldn't say it's "taking the entire plot of the original, whole cloth," if only because there's not enough in the trailer to even know yet what the full plot is. That said... there are only so many plots you can do centered around chasing tornados, and I didn't watch the first one for the plot either.

I just want a big, loud, fun and suspenseful tornado movie, set in the world I loved so much from the original (stormy, rural Oklahoma), and this looks to be giving me exactly that.

Also, again, the filmmaking team should count for something. These aren't hacks. The Revenant, Minari... Steven freakin' Spielberg... we're in the hands of people who at least care, and are known for their Oscar-worthy work. I'm not at all saying this will be Oscar worthy, or again, even TG:M worthy, it's just that the instant party pooping comes across as selective and premature.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Every F&F has a different plotline. You don't see Dom and family stealing DVD players for 10 movies.

(And I don't love all ten, some are not great.)

But I'll certainly put Tokyo Drift up against this movie.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From the guy who brings up Avatar and Star Wars smack in every thread.
TCTTS
AG
Gigem314 said:

Tornadoes be gone...the Hangman's comin'

Hard to top the original, but this may have potential.

I do hope (since they're clearly featuring the Dorothy system) there are some callbacks to the original film so it doesn't just feel like a whole new universe with things borrowed from the original.

Powell's character, though different, seems to fill the "cowboy" cowboy-like role of Paxton from the first film. But what made the original so great was the core team didn't take themselves too seriously and allowed for some personality and humor to keep it from being too heavy ("Rabbit is good, Rabbit is wise") - so hopefully they do the same with this.

I'm in.

What I love is that Powell's character seems to be a mix of both teams from the original. He's got that Paxton/cowboy charm, but is also cocky as hell and seems to have all the fancy gear. Making him a social media star is a great twist too. Then Edgar-Jones' and her colleague(s) seem to be the overly cautious "underdogs"/thorn in his side. But instead of being rivals the whole movie through, they're all teaming up here, which instantly makes for great friction.

A much as I love the first movie, watching it again now, Cary Elwes' character's ultra serious, high-tech team of mustache twirling villains and black suburbans is pretty laughable. Here? The dynamic is much more nuanced and believable, with a fun, modern twist.

Granted, nothing will ever top Bill and Jo's ragtag group of misfits - Philip Seymour Hoffman going full Jack Black, Alan Ruck, Jeremy Davies, etc - but this group looks like it could be fun too.

More than anything I just love the general vibe/world, and can't wait to revisit it again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Also, I still can't see Cary Elwes without instantly hearing "unrealized idea" in a Southern accent.
tk for tu juan
I will be watching this and Roadhouse no matter how good they actually are compared to the original. As for the F&F franchise, number 4, 9, and 10 can take a hike, the rest are quality entertainment.
C@LAg
the thing is.. since Twister came out, we have had the explosion of real life storm chasers/idiots that you can track and watch in real-time on the Internet all through storm season, as they do stupid **** and get the crap beat out of their vehicles.

the overall story concept for Twister was engaging for 1996. but I have a feeling the present-day unscripted reality -TV of real storm chasers is going to trump a good portion of the potential interest in this. that and it only has 1 week in wide release before Deadpool.
TCTTS
AG
Barbie and Oppenheimer co-existed for weeks/months. No reason Twistpool can't either. They'll also each have all of August/September to play, with little competition. And as massive as Deadpool is going to be, I know plenty of women and people like my parents who won't go see it, but will definitely be lining up for Twisters. Granted, but doesn't count for everything, but again, the social media reaction to it during the game was huge. Nostalgia is a formidable force. That, and after TG:M, and now the success of Anyone But You, Powell's star is rising fast. He's going to bring in the female audience for sure.
TCTTS
AG
Not to mention, Powell's next movie, Hit Man, drops on Netflix in June, and is getting absolutely rave reviews.

This is going to be his summer, after which he's going to be our next bonafide leading man/movie star.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Barbie and Oppenheimer co-existed for weeks/months. No reason Twistpool can't either. They'll also each have all of August/September to play, with little competition. Also, as massive as Deadpool is going to be, I know plenty of women and people like my parents who won't go see it, but will definitely be lining up for Twisters. Again, the social media reaction to it during the game was huge. Nostalgia is a formidable force.
always possible, but Twisters is late-term Boomer/Gen X bait, at best. and it does not even have any of the OG stars to help carry it.

O/B at least had cross gen appeal due to Nolan's fan base and Barbie. Plus the ridiculousness of the dichotomy of the combo that took hold of the zeitgeist.

well see. this is a rather tame summer market that looks like it will be full of a lot of $100-200M (domestic only) hits but only a few that will exceed that (e.g. Deadpool). I put Twisters in that first category.
The Porkchop Express
I didn't think TC as a fearless defender of Twister, arguably the 4th best movie of the summer of '96, would ever be part of the multiverse we visited, but here we are.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, I meant for my eye-wink emoji to imply I wasn't actually comparing it to Barbenheimer. I'm in agreement that both movies combined won't do anywhere near Barbenheimer numbers (though I'm more confident than ever Deadpool is going $1B), but I am saying that both are coming at the end of July, a notoriously bankable time of year, where two blockbusters can co-exists, considering not much competition plays over the next couple of months.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I didn't think TC as a fearless defender of Twister, arguably the 4th best movie of the summer of '96, would ever be part of the multiverse we visited, but here we are.

I give you my 2020 thread from when the first iteration of this movie was announced, to be directed by Joseph Kosinski, before any of us had basked in the glory of a little movie he would go on to release two years later called Top Gun: Maverick. On page three you'll even find a mini "live blog" of me rewatching the original for the first time in years. Pretty entertaining thread overall...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3120594
TCTTS
AG
This was just after TG:M had been pushed from summer 2020 to summer 2021, due of course to the pandemic. It would then go on to be pushed once again to summer 2022, which was the nail in the coffin to Kosinski directing this movie, and what led to Chung taking his place. I'm betting the Helen Hunt talks came from Kosinski's version, and then when Chung took over he retooled it a bit. I also just read that Hunt pitched her own version of a sequel at one point, which Universal rejected, so there were probably sour grapes on her part because of that.
The Porkchop Express
If I read that, will you read my treatise for a movie I thought up today while stuck in traffic for 2 hours called "The 7th Henchman", which is told totally from the point of view of a guy who considers himself the 7th most important henchman to a super villain and watches a big dramatic James Bond adventure unfold in that role, where he either does nothing in every big action scene or is disabled from fighting gin the first 5-10 seconds?

Will also include a scene where the super villain confessed to thinking he's only like the 11th or 12th best henchman and has a power point presentation to go along with his reasoning?
TCTTS
AG
Done. Love it.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, watching the trailer again, the plot difference between this one and the first one seems to be...

1) The first movie focused on gathering data about tornados in order to ultimately "provide an earlier storm-warning system."

2) However, this movie seems to hint at attempting to DESTROY tornados altogether...

Glenn Powell's Tyler to Daisy Edgar Jones' Kate...

TYLER
You thought you could destroy a tornado?

KATE
We never had a chance.

TYLER
You want one?

A insane goal? Quite possibly. But they at least seem to be making an effort to up the stakes/objective in this one, and using Dorothy again in some form or fashion is, like, step one of that.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
If this movie has a person pointing at a floating cow, saying cow. It is a retread.

If it has a cow mooing at a floating person, it is new and original.
bagger05
AG
I am totally in for this movie. And I'm totally fine if it's a retread. Just give me a fun two hours at the movie theater.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.