Are tech students more patriotic than Aggies?

4,631 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by TommyBrady
Nonregdrummer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not that Tech, as a student body, was ever generally not patriotic, but it feels like A&M has gone further down the "it's cool to hate America" path in its student body than Tech students have.

I still think the majority of the A&M student body are as patriotic as these folks, but I do think Tech may have the bigger percentage.

Also, favorite line from this video: America is Texas and 49 other b****es.
Hungry Ojos
I think so. Tech appears to be culturally similar to what A&M was around the time of Campbell's "men like women" speech. Very conservative, very Republican.

We seem to be more like tu every day.
Urban Ag
AG
Being that I have a son headed to A&M this fall, I've had to re-engage a bit with my familiarity of the college landscape in the last couple of years. Also, since I gave up my season tickets after the 2014 season I have spent relatively little time on campus the last 7-8 years.

What I will say about the A&M student body, from my small amount of interaction in the last few years, is that as a whole they seem much well adjusted, happier, friendlier, and frankly, normal, than the average American that age. Which tends to make me believe they lean more conservative/patriotic and less willing to embrace pink haired marxist lunacy.

My view of Tech students and the campus is mostly a result of what friends who went there and/or have kids there or going there. They say the Tech campus and student body is like A&M in the 90's and I tend to believe it. Tech offered our kid some scholarship money and I really tried to encourage him to take a hard look but he wasn't ever going to seriously consider anything but A&M.
Ag_0112358132134
Yes. Tech is way more conservative than A&M at this point.
TX04Aggie
AG
Agreed. Tech is still the "Old Texas" mentality in my opinion. Before all the Californians and the cities took over
Tex100
American Hardwood
AG
Tech is more outwardly conservative now I believe. When students use to choose A&M because of it's unique character and traditions, it was more conservative and patriotic, but now a huge number go to A&M because it is a reputable state school with a valuable diploma. That has made A&M more vulnerable to infection by the progressive cancer. I don't think it is a terminal condition yet, but it might get there. Conservative kids are still there, but I know for a fact that they are harassed by leftist students and teachers more frequently and you will probably find most conservatives in turtle-mode further increasing the appearance that patriotism is waning.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Agreed. Tech is still the "Old Texas" mentality in my opinion. Before all the Californians and the cities took over
The mentality we used to have before our school administration became obsessed with Vision 2020, trying to win the US News & World Report ranking game, and prioritizing inner city and valley students over its traditional rural and suburban student base.
TX04Aggie
AG
Speaking of Vision2020, did I miss the read out of the results of that in 2020, haha. Never saw a report on how successful it was, return on investment, etc? I say that sorta sarcastically but also a serious question. Seems it was mysteriously dropped once 2020 rolled around.
No Spin Ag
Tech is more conservative because of where it is. Move Tech into the area between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, and you'll find them to become more similar to A&M.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
2023NCAggies
Latest polling suggests the youngest generation, GEN Z, is conservative in general. 51% classified themselves as conservative in one poll, it isn't just BS either.

VERY surprising. They are more conservative than Millennials already

So maybe A&M will get more conservative as the students change.

Yesterday
AG
If A&M keeps its liberal direction I will be sending my kids to Tech. Words I never thought I'd say.
The Fall Guy
AG
Yesterday said:

If A&M keeps its liberal direction I will be sending my kids to Tech. Words I never thought I'd say.

Would not send my son now to A&M
TommyBrady
AG
People who never spend time with any students and only come to campus for a few football games a year somehow know what the percentage of conservatives are on a campus with 70k students.
Tard_85
2023NCAggies said:

Latest polling suggests the youngest generation, GEN Z, is conservative in general. 51% classified themselves as conservative in one poll, it isn't just BS either.

Many white, Asian, and even Hispanic males within GenZ is starting to see they are not welcome in the world the left is creating. In fact some are going to far to the right.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I would be willing to bet that Tech has a large representation from small towns, which A&M used to have. There are still kids from small towns at A&M, but not like in decades ago.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
aggie93
AG
Knowing kids at both places right now and having looked at both I'm not necessarily buying the argument. There is some truth for sure but mainly A&M has just gotten MASSIVE. 75k students is just hard to understand without experiencing it. It basically has made A&M into several colleges under the same umbrella. That means the experience for one kid can be very different than for someone else depending on what they study and what they are involved in (or not). Good and bad to that.

Tech's area around it's campus has gotten pretty bad though. All the kids I know there have mentioned how they have to watch their ass on the fringes of campus at night. Not really conservative/liberal but certainly something to consider. Also if you aren't in Greek Life at Tech your social life is very limited, that's VERY different than A&M. I know 2 kids that had no interest in pledging prior to going to Tech but did Sophomore year for that reason. Same could be said for a lot of SEC schools btw.

Academically A&M is definitely on a much higher level than Tech and the resources just aren't comparable. Tech is a good school and is great in some areas but I think a lot of Old Ags are projecting what they want Tech to be (what A&M used to be) rather than really taking a strong look at it. My son looked at Tech and Arkansas and has a ton of friends at both.

A&M has a lot of issues though, no question about it. It isn't the same school I went to at all for both good and bad. The school I went to and many here did simply doesn't exist anymore, it's just a different world.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
doubledog
Maybe we should ask if TT has a better academic program, after all it is a state university.

aggie93
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Yesterday said:

I understand the hesitation but realize the other options all have issues too. Still could do a LOT worse and there are many things Aggies take for granted.

The important thing is finding the right fit for your kid and I would just look at A&M as an option you are familiar with as opposed to the only option.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Fireman
AG
I don't know.....if wearing american flag wife beaters is patriotic, then I think they got us.
Muktheduck
2023NCAggies said:

"Generation Zombie:

They are a self centered, destructive generation that cannot think and cannot feel, so they create causes to make themselves feel important.

They are empty inside and have nothing real to offer society as their entire reality is the fake world of TikTok and Instagram.

They are largely uneducated, but believe they are highly educated because many have a worthless college degree. They also believe they are always right in all situations, and to disagree with them is always racism, sexism, hatred, bigotry, homo/trans-phobia, or some other made up word.

This is what happens when you give folks participation awards instead of pushing them to achieve, and not kicking them in the ass when they get out of line."

Sorry, just had to post one of F16's go to tirades for ironic effect. The olds on here never seem to realize how weak and feckless their generations have been and why it's not gen Z's fault this country went to ***** They're just trying to pick up the pieces
2023NCAggies
Tard_85 said:

2023NCAggies said:

Many white, Asian, and even Hispanic males within GenZ is starting to see they are not welcome in the world the left is creating. In fact some are going to far to the right.
Biden is trying so hard to get that student loan handout through, and this is part of the reason

I do not think they are buying it. And if Trump pulls over 40% with them, the thing is over.

The other trouble is Hispanics continue to move to RED.the majority support not only stronger borders but deportation of the recent flock of illegals. per one poll recently released.

The other problem is Blacks are polling around 20% for Trump. I do not think he gets near that, but I think he gets to 10 or more, plus you have Cornell West getting a little. One more issue is motivation to vote, that is not there for them and many will just stay home

And that is their other big problem, motivation for their base to get out and vote, I do not see it.

Glen Beck had a segment on New York and Biden polling +7 to +10%, and a guest said it is in play and he thinks Trump takes New York. I will believe it when I see it, but people are cheering him on at his court case in Manhattan and the Unions just endorsed him, it will be interesting to watch honestly I think he gets close.

When Unions start endorsing Republicans, s*** is hitting the fan with Dems

2023NCAggies
Muktheduck said:

2023NCAggies said:

"Generation Zombie:

They are a self centered, destructive generation that cannot think and cannot feel, so they create causes to make themselves feel important.

They are empty inside and have nothing real to offer society as their entire reality is the fake world of TikTok and Instagram.

They are largely uneducated, but believe they are highly educated because many have a worthless college degree. They also believe they are always right in all situations, and to disagree with them is always racism, sexism, hatred, bigotry, homo/trans-phobia, or some other made up word.

This is what happens when you give folks participation awards instead of pushing them to achieve, and not kicking them in the ass when they get out of line."

Sorry, just had to post one of F16's go to tirades for ironic effect. The olds on here never seem to realize how weak and feckless their generations have been and why it's not gen Z's fault this country went to ***** They're just trying to pick up the pieces
I am a Millennial, my group sucks and are still majority Dem. Dumbasses
Burdizzo
AG
The Tech mentality was always a head-scratcher for me. Generally speaking they come from similar agrarian backgrounds as many Aggies and have very similar values. But there is something in that high plains wind that instills an hatred of Aggies to the point we are the Genesis of all their problems and complaints. Even a century ago when they were lobbying the state for a university to serve the plains they made it clear they wanted nothing to do with A&M.
kyledr04
AG
I was in Lubbock last weekend. First time I'd ever been. It was interesting. I actually liked it more than I guessed. Lots of the stereotypes from Texags are true, Lubbock itself is pretty crappy. A few decent pockets but largely dirty and run down. I was ready to get out of the wind and see a tree taller than a few feet. Plus it flooded with a small rain.

But the students seemed similar to Aggies I'm used to. More small town feeling. And like others said felt a little more like the A&M I experienced 20 years ago. Simpler times.
kyledr04
AG
The couple Aggies I saw were glad to see a friend in enemy territory. But no one from Tech ever gave us any crap. Outside athletic competition, I agree A&M and Tech would make decent allies. Don't try to tell that to the vet school though.
Tramp96
kyledr04 said:

I was in Lubbock last weekend. First time I'd ever been. It was interesting. I actually liked it more than I guessed. Lots of the stereotypes from Texags are true, Lubbock itself is pretty crappy. A few decent pockets but largely dirty and run down. I was ready to get out of the wind and see a tree taller than a few feet. Plus it flooded with a small rain.

But the students seemed similar to Aggies I'm used to. More small town feeling. And like others said felt a little more like the A&M I experienced 20 years ago. Simpler times.
Lubbock's growth is all south and southwest, with a little due west.

The Tech campus itself is so far away from the nicer parts of the city, minus the revitalized area east of campus that has completely converted the old Tech ghetto from when I went to school in the 90's to very, very nice apartments, townhomes, Overton hotel area, etc.

But other than that area across University from the NE corner of campus, all of the nice areas of the city are Southwest.
DeSantis 2024
kyledr04
AG
Tramp96 said:

kyledr04 said:

Lubbock's growth is all south and southwest, with a little due west.

The Tech campus itself is so far away from the nicer parts of the city, minus the revitalized area east of campus that has completely converted the old Tech ghetto from when I went to school in the 90's to very, very nice apartments, townhomes, Overton hotel area, etc.

But other than that area across University from the NE corner of campus, all of the nice areas of the city are Southwest.

Yeah that matches what I observed. We stayed in a hotel around all those new developments on the SW corner.
American Hardwood
AG
My daughter is about to finish at A&M with a degree in a very liberal field. I was very worried that she would get sucked in to that world since she was a skull full of mush with no political inclinations or interest coming out of high school. Her experience at school in that particular field of study surprisingly turned her into a fairly rabid right-winger. It was a reaction to the leftist crap she encountered in the classroom.

Fortunately, I think she had picked up a basic understanding of the political spectrum from me whether she wanted to or not, so she was able to fit what she was encountering and experiencing in the proper political context.
BluHorseShu
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Yesterday said:

Missed opportunity. My son attends and he hasn't had to deal with anything close to what people seem to imply here. The school is still very conservative. I work on campus and if there is any 'liberal' craziness happening (and it does at every school to varying degrees) its minute compared to the size of the rest of the population.

People keep using these incidents to brush A&M as some left coast liberal bastion. Its not TAMU in the 70's but its still Aggieland and conservative values and traditions still dominate.

Regardless, in the end, I let my son decide and trust we brought him up well. I'll be dunking his ring with him in August. Wouldn't miss that moment for the world.
Tramp96
To date, I've had one nephew and 4 nieces graduate from A&M in the past few years (well, the 4th niece graduates this May).

Except for one of my nieces, they all came out of there pretty conservative. I blame the ELCA female youth pastor for the one niece being a little more liberal than I do her time at A&M.

Funny enough, my nephew, who grew up ELCA, ended up becoming more conservative during his time at A&M, and ended up switching to LCMS like me. So props to his A&M social circle on that one!

I've had one nephew in that same time graduate from Tech. He definitely came out more conservative than when he went in, and he was pretty conservative going in.
DeSantis 2024
Buck Turgidson
Tramp96 said:

To date, I've had one nephew and 4 nieces graduate from A&M in the past few years (well, the 4th niece graduates this May).

Except for one of my nieces, they all came out of there pretty conservative. I blame the ELCA female youth pastor for the one niece being a little more liberal than I do her time at A&M.

Funny enough, my nephew, who grew up ELCA, ended up becoming more conservative during his time at A&M, and ended up switching to LCMS like me. So props to his A&M social circle on that one!

I've had one nephew in that same time graduate from Tech. He definitely came out more conservative than when he went in, and he was pretty conservative going in.
I feel that, if we could finally replace Sharp, we could make A&M a lot more like 1980's A&M (culturally speaking) in a few short years.
loveaTm
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Speaking of Vision2020, did I miss the read out of the results of that in 2020, haha. Never saw a report on how successful it was, return on investment, etc? I say that sorta sarcastically but also a serious question. Seems it was mysteriously dropped once 2020 rolled around.

Ahhh, Vision 20/20

I was in College Republicans back then (mid 90s) and we sent a fundraising letter to Aggie Clayton Williams donors telling them about multiculturalism coming to TAMU. Ray Bowen had to get very public in denouncing multiculturalism and swore the letter was all lies and assured all the Big $$ Ags it wasn't going to happen. He even brought charges of violating the Aggie Code of Honor.

When my son went to TAMU as c/o 2019 I sat through parent orientation and lo and behold there was 6 hours of multicultural classes, just like the letter claimed so long ago. What a liar he was.
deddog
AG
Yesterday said:

I have 2 kids at A&M
Is it the same as the 90s. Nope. But still overwhelmingly conservative student body.
My kids have become far more conservative at A&M and there are a number of large conservative/ religious orgs

If we keep giving up on our institutions, there is going to be no place left. Send your kids to A&M
Help turn the tide.

Feel free to IM me personally.
Tard_85
Tramp96 said:

This was my experience. I had a couple of full on economic profs that where ardent Milton Friedman disciples. Plus the business school approached things with a nice entrepreneurial bent in addition to the typical corporate stuff you would expect. Of course this was in the mid 80's when Reagan was using a conservative FP approach to beat the USSR into the ground. Great times.

Had several kids I wanted to attend conservative schools. Both Tech and TAMU fit that bill at the time. I was please with my daughter's TAMU experience but that was before all the DEI junk and Sharp's lefty push came in.

Whats been going on post 2014 at TAMU is disappointing. Tech now has 41K students and is probably not as conservative as in my day. If it was US NEWS and World Report would have it ranked dead last. A better way to gauge a school is by using Pay Scale's ROI data. Tech sure worked out for me and all of my close friends and TAMU worked out for my kid and her friends but those were different times. Back when universities were not indoctrination centers.

I could not imagine sending my kids to schools for $25K per semester or even per year to indoctrinate them to what is clearly toxic. I wasn't about to take that chance even then. Parents today are in a tough spot in regards to "education" for the money spent. Educational ROI is not remotely what it used to be.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.