Are tech students more patriotic than Aggies?

4,634 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by TommyBrady
WestTexasAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Agreed. Tech is still the "Old Texas" mentality in my opinion. Before all the Californians and the cities took over
Yep
Funky Winkerbean
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Speaking of Vision2020, did I miss the read out of the results of that in 2020, haha. Never saw a report on how successful it was, return on investment, etc? I say that sorta sarcastically but also a serious question. Seems it was mysteriously dropped once 2020 rolled around.

Leadership, just like all governments never assess results. They simply ignore it and spend their way through it while dangling the next sparkley treat for the people to focus on.
ExPeterKeating
aggie93 said:

Knowing kids at both places right now and having looked at both I'm not necessarily buying the argument.

Tech's area around it's campus has gotten pretty bad though. All the kids I know there have mentioned how they have to watch their ass on the fringes of campus at night. Not really conservative/liberal but certainly something to consider. Also if you aren't in Greek Life at Tech your social life is very limited, that's VERY different than A&M. I know 2 kids that had no interest in pledging prior to going to Tech but did Sophomore year for that reason. Same could be said for a lot of SEC schools btw.

This is how we know you are projecting what you want to believe AND that you don't know much about real estate in Texas cities. Lubbock is no Austin but the area to the East of the campus is the largest eminent domain redevelopment in America and now has some of the highest multifamily rents in town. Students who live there have money. The area south of the campus is some of the best neighborhoods in Lubbock. To the West is Greek Circle, the med center and another exclusive nhood with old Lubbock money. There are sketchy areas in Lubbock but you have to get across Marsha Sharp Frwy to the north of campus or WAY out east of downtown. Tech is a HUGE economic engine in west Texas. Lubbock would be another small west Texas county seat without it.
Lone Stranger
Soph Mech Engr son at A&M: Dad...I'm going to get my first B this semester. Me: Knowing he's taking Calc III and Physics...a B at A&M in Calc III or Physics is nothing to be ashamed of. Him: Dad its American History. Me: WHAT? Him: You really won't be happy to know I got zeros on a bunch of quizzes. Me: That's just stupid not going to class and getting zeros on quizzes. Him: No, I go to class but write what I've been taught and my woke virtue singaling professor gives me a zero. When I write what he wants to hear on the tests I get an A so that's why I'm getting the B in the class. I don't think he likes me very much at this point.
txwxman
By "patriotism," do we mean "supporting secession?" I lose track of what the forum 16 definition of patriotism is.
f burg ag
AG
Me, my wife and my son wanted him to go to A&M. His 1350 on SAT would have been virtually automatic in the year before he applied and he was a triple legacy (which means **** all to A&M these days). But they switched admissions to a "wholistic approach" and he did not get in. I tried to get him to look at Tech, but he was not interested.

He ended up at OU (with enough aide to eliminate OOS and then some). After one year, he and we love it. He is an accounting major and will end up as well off with his OU degree as A&M or Tech. Obviously, not the same if he were a vet or eng major.

As far as conservative campus? From our 9 months of observations: OU >>>>Tech>>A&M.

Oh….and I will never give another penny to A&M.
TommyBrady
AG
My kid didn't get in to A&M so now he is at Phoenix State and it's absolutely incredible. Probably the most conservative campus in the country. The area around the school is incredible and extremely exclusive. I wanted him to go to A&M, but now I know he will probably get a much better ROI on his degree and we all know those US News and World Report rankings don't matter.
Aggie2
No Spin Ag said:

Tech is more conservative because of where it is. Move Tech into the area between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, and you'll find them to become more similar to A&M.
When I lived in Lubbock in the mid to late 80's 70% of the student population was from the D/fw area. Conservative then and now.
JB!98
AG
I want my son to be a 3rd generation AG and he wants to be a 3rd generation AG. His goal is Mech Eng and A&M is a great place for him to do that. I believe we are going to go with the Naval Academy though if everything continues to work out in that direction. He has the grades to go anywhere he wants to. It is a very tough decision, but the A&M he would go to is very different than I or my dad went to.

A real shame.
aggie93
AG
ExPeterKeating said:

aggie93 said:

Knowing kids at both places right now and having looked at both I'm not necessarily buying the argument.

Tech's area around it's campus has gotten pretty bad though. All the kids I know there have mentioned how they have to watch their ass on the fringes of campus at night. Not really conservative/liberal but certainly something to consider. Also if you aren't in Greek Life at Tech your social life is very limited, that's VERY different than A&M. I know 2 kids that had no interest in pledging prior to going to Tech but did Sophomore year for that reason. Same could be said for a lot of SEC schools btw.

This is how we know you are projecting what you want to believe AND that you don't know much about real estate in Texas cities. Lubbock is no Austin but the area to the East of the campus is the largest eminent domain redevelopment in America and now has some of the highest multifamily rents in town. Students who live there have money. The area south of the campus is some of the best neighborhoods in Lubbock. To the West is Greek Circle, the med center and another exclusive nhood with old Lubbock money. There are sketchy areas in Lubbock but you have to get across Marsha Sharp Frwy to the north of campus or WAY out east of downtown. Tech is a HUGE economic engine in west Texas. Lubbock would be another small west Texas county seat without it.
Projecting? k.

Look I am just talking about my personal experience and people I know with kids at both schools. Very close friend of mine had a son who transferred out of Tech with safety issues as a major reason. We toured the campus and had the same vibe after dark. Parts are nice is but theft and assault is an issue. Hell I was selling my son on Tech at the time as we didn't know if he was going to get into A&M (He's at Galveston and has done great). My wife and Dad's family are all West Texas as well, I'm very familiar with Tech. It's improved a lot academically and it has several majors that are great. Nothing wrong with Tech, it has issues though and I am not blind to them

I just see it for what it is. Every school has pluses and minuses. Tech is not A&M from 30 years ago, not even close. It does generally have more conservative students. It's also got some idiots like any college. A&M definitely isn't what it was then either. In many ways it is better. In many ways it is UT College Station. It has its own safety issues but it is safer than Tech or Texas for sure.

Hey but if you think Tech and Lubbock are some Shangri La then so be it.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG
JB!98 said:

I want my son to be a 3rd generation AG and he wants to be a 3rd generation AG. His goal is Mech Eng and A&M is a great place for him to do that. I believe we are going to go with the Naval Academy though if everything continues to work out in that direction. He has the grades to go anywhere he wants to. It is a very tough decision, but the A&M he would go to is very different than I or my dad went to.

A real shame.
I'd look around and see if you end up back there. My younger son will have a lot of options but likely will end up at A&M Engineering. The Engineering facilities are truly incredible. Mays is also great. Both are huge though and aren't for everyone, especially with ETAM and the level of competition. None of that really bothers my son as he is doing very well at a large and competitive HS. Still will look at some stronger Engineering schools and some other really good ones and see if he can get some scholarship money.

I just don't have nearly the emotional investment I used to have in A&M, that's gone outside of the sentimentality. In the end for my sons it's a business decision and looking at ROI. A&M has a lot to offer there but I don't get all emotional about it anymore. Seen way too many kids get screwed by A&M just like any school. It would be cool if my younger son goes there and convenient but there are other options as well, I'm not emotional about them either.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Tachoro
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

I think so. Tech appears to be culturally similar to what A&M was around the time of Campbell's "men like women" speech. Very conservative, very Republican.

We seem to be more like tu every day.

A&M has 73,000 students. If 72,998 of them were conservative, forum 16 would spend all of their time focusing on the 2 that were liberal.
CyclingAg82
AG
JB!98 said:

A real shame.
Sadly, the US Military Academies are woke. All the wokeism the federal government pushes has been happening at USAFA, Annapolis and West Point.

Ribeye-Rare
AG
f burg ag said:

Me, my wife and my son wanted him to go to A&M. His 1350 on SAT would have been virtually automatic in the year before he applied and he was a triple legacy (which means **** all to A&M these days). But they switched admissions to a "wholistic approach" and he did not get in.
I reckon your boy was disappointed but I imagine he shook it off and was fine.

It seems like back when I attended all you needed to have was a pulse and a desire to be an Aggie. I've often wondered how many of our 'Distinguished Alumni' would even be granted admission today.
OverSeas AG
AG
They see that their own mothers would and are happily castrating them… they are waking up to the lies and dishonesty.
TexasAGGIEinAR
Tech is full of rednecks and country ass folks. A&M is turning the opposite way with their increasing wokeness. Rednecks will always be the most patriotic groups you can find. Make fun of them all you want, but you won't find them deviating from traditional American values. Good for them.
HarleySpoon
AG
West of railroad tracks….more conservative than tech. East of tracks, less conservative. Son graduated in '20….33 years after his old man. Two different worlds these days on either side of the tracks.
cevans_40
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

I think so. Tech appears to be culturally similar to what A&M was around the time of Campbell's "men like women" speech. Very conservative, very Republican.

That is exactly what most Ags under 40 want. They want College Station to be Austin #2
aggie93
AG
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

Tech is full of rednecks and country ass folks. A&M is turning the opposite way with their increasing wokeness. Rednecks will always be the most patriotic groups you can find. Make fun of them all you want, but you won't find them deviating from traditional American values. Good for them.

Tech still has a large population of kids from large Suburban High Schools that couldn't get into A&M or Texas. Are there country boys there? Sure, but there are a lot of them at A&M too.

It's easy to see what you want to see.

Ronald Reagan
Hungry Ojos
cevans_40 said:

Hungry Ojos said:

That is exactly what most Ags under 40 want. They want College Station to be Austin #2

You're probably right but I live in Austin and there is literally nothing to envy about this city. Complete ****hole. And this is not hyperbole, but ever since Covid started, I haven't seen a single police office on patrol driving the streets or highways. Not a single freaking one. Crime is out of control and our progressive, Marxist piece of trash DA wants it that way. After all of the rioters showed up at tu and caused a bunch of problems, the DA immediately dismissed all charges and let them all walk. Didn't prosecute a single one. Unbelievable considering what the J6 protestors are going through.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/texas/most-cases-ut-austin-protesters-dropped/287-d9cc7107-47bf-4c29-aa25-b4a506fc4dc4
Buford T. Justice
AG
If I were Chancellor for a day, so to speak, I would decrease the enrollment at A&M back to 45,000.
The only reason that the enrollment has gone up is to get more funding.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
MookieBlaylock
AG
2023NCAggies said:

Latest polling suggests the youngest generation, GEN Z, is conservative in general. 51% classified themselves as conservative in one poll, it isn't just BS either.

VERY surprising. They are more conservative than Millennials already

So maybe A&M will get more conservative as the students change.

the males are 95% conservative- tired of the bs
aggie93
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

If I were Chancellor for a day, so to speak, I would decrease the enrollment at A&M back to 45,000.
The only reason that the enrollment has gone up is to get more funding.

When A&M had 45k the state had a little more than half the population it does now. About 380k high school graduates from Texas last year. Back then it was 170k. So you have 380k kids competing for about 25k freshman slots at Texas and ATM as the 2 Flagship schools.

It's a big drop academic wise from A&M to the next best Public in Texas which is arguably between Tech and UTD and we are decades from that changing.

Texas is land limited so they can't grow but A&M isn't. That's why we so big.

Ronald Reagan
TommyBrady
AG
We have 25,000 Top 10 percent undergrads by themselves
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.