Ford losing $132000 per EV Sold

8,185 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by techno-ag
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/24/business/ford-earnings-ev-losses/index.html
How in the world do stockholders put up with directors who make such outstanding choices?

Some quotes:
Quote:

Ford's electric vehicle unit reported that losses soared in the first quarter to $1.3 billion, or $132,000 for each of the 10,000 vehicles it sold in the first three months of the year, helping to drag down earnings for the company overall.
Quote:

The EV unit, which Ford calls Model e, sold 10,000 vehicles in the quarter, down 20% from the number it sold a year earlier. And its revenue plunged 84% to about $100 million
Quote:

And that means this is not the end of the losses in the unit - Ford said it expects Model e will have EBIT losses of $5 billion for the full year.
Quote:

Despite the EV losses, Ford CEO Jim Farley said in a call with investors the company is making changes in its EV business, and that the company's planned next generation of EVs will allow it to be profitable on that business in the near future.
That there is a powerful business model.
techno-ag
AG
Bulldog73 said:

How in the world do stockholders put up with directors who make such outstanding choices?

Some quotes:
Quote:

Ford's electric vehicle unit reported that losses soared in the first quarter to $1.3 billion, or $132,000 for each of the 10,000 vehicles it sold in the first three months of the year, helping to drag down earnings for the company overall.
Quote:

The EV unit, which Ford calls Model e, sold 10,000 vehicles in the quarter, down 20% from the number it sold a year earlier. And its revenue plunged 84% to about $100 million
Quote:

And that means this is not the end of the losses in the unit - Ford said it expects Model e will have EBIT losses of $5 billion for the full year.
Quote:

Despite the EV losses, Ford CEO Jim Farley said in a call with investors the company is making changes in its EV business, and that the company's planned next generation of EVs will allow it to be profitable on that business in the near future.
"You just don't understand how this all works. These are technology companies not car companies. Prices always go down. Best selling car on the planet."

/Resident EVangelists' standard replies
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Funky Winkerbean
AG
How long until Joe hands out money to save the program?
Bulldog73
AG
Going to the Two Teas Model of economics, they should just add $132,000 to the price tag of each EV and they'll be fine, right?
Ag87H2O
AG
Lol at Big Auto cowering to the Democrat green agenda and then losing their a** on the initiatives.

Any CEO that bases design and production on anything other than real market factors shouldn't be CEO.
Secolobo
AG
And some wonder why a normal truck is to high….
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Secolobo said:

Bingo. ICE subsidizing EV. On top of government/tax payers already massively subsidizing EV. You get to do it twice!
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
Secolobo said:

Trek Strategy - Every Journey Needs a Guide
IndividualFreedom
I had not thought about this being done on purpose, not to advance EV but to destroy the affordability of gas engine vehicles. You will own nothing and like it. Govt. transportation because vehicles are so expensive the avg. joe can not afford even the most basic model.
Logos Stick
That's why ICE engine car prices are outrageous now.
OverSeas AG
AG
What's that saying…. Something, something Woke, you go broke!

As i always say May lefties and Dems reap what they sow.
Bonfire.1996
20 years ago, this would result in a $10 Billion shareholder lawsuit that the shareholders would win in a walk.
2023NCAggies
Secolobo said:

Pisses me off, I almost pulled the trigger on a 1500 trial boss and decided to pass on it. It was 37k at the time......

Less than 3 months later, the same truck was in the 45k range, and it has not gone down near that 37k since. What a mistake that was.

So I am driving the old dog until the wheels fall off or until prices become decent again
2023NCAggies
OverSeas AG said:

What's that saying…. Something, something Woke, you go broke!

As i always say May lefties and Dems reap what they sow.
We are all going broke on this one, their stupidity raised ICE vehicle prices through the roof.

This is why I say, watch when the blue states enforce their ban, states will become redder quickly
Tex100
AG
Can you really put a price tag on saving the planet? Onward Ford, onward.
bobbranco
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Some quotes:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All should blame that virtual signaling butthole named Bill Ford.
Fannie Luddite
AG
The Mach-e had a 404 day supply in March. Nobody wants them.

Slowest Selling Cars - March 2024
HollywoodBQ
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Going to the Two Teas Model of economics, they should just add $132,000 to the price tag of each EV and they'll be fine, right?
Imagine how much additional dealer mark-up they'll put on top of that.

You'll be out the door at $200k for an 8,000 lb pickup with a 200 mile range.
Rex Racer
AG
You know how you keep from losing money on the E-vehicle division? Shut. It. Down.

Deputy Travis Junior
"The EV unit... sold 10,000 vehicles in the quarter, down 20% from the number it sold a year earlier. And its revenue plunged 84% to about $100 million"

How is this even possible? How does a 20% drop in sales lead to an 84% drop in revenue? Were they giving these things away?

Also, my guess is the $1.3 billion loss includes a **** ton of investment for future production that it isn't appropriate to attribute to these cars (though I'm sure their gross margins were still a disaster)
FCBlitz
Funky Winkerbean said:

We are doing exactly that through the government. All branches of the Military branches and government agency are spending 100's of millions of dollars trying to figure out ways to spend and buy as fast as possible.

Look up EO 14057 and net zero. Then you will understand this is all in motion, it is beyond a concept or white paper. The only way to stop it is to take away a power from the Democrats.
deddog
AG
Fannie Luddite said:

People aren't buying an EV from a company that can't get their ICE vehicles right?
No way
BonfireNerd04
Fannie Luddite said:

One of my co-workers just bought one.
tk for tu juan
Q1 2024 Earnings Slides
Fleet sales (Ford Pro) had a revenue increase of 36% and a EBIT of $3.0B. Fleet sales will be carrying Ford for the rest of the year. Their 2024 EBIT outlook for the EV division (Ford Model e) is shown as a $5B to $5.5B loss. So guess we will see this same thread for the next three quarters

https://shareholder.ford.com/Investors/Home/default.aspx
harleyds2
AG
Obviously knows nothing or doesn't care how all the metals are mined and all child labor supporting it
bobbranco
AG
Ford is relying on brand loyalty. I was loyal until Bill Ford went overboard on the BEV nonsense and jacked up the prices for every vehicle.
deddog
AG
BonfireNerd04 said:

Fannie Luddite said:

One of my co-workers just bought one.

Hopefully he's not in charge of any major decision making
deddog
AG
bobbranco said:

Ford is relying on brand loyalty. I was loyal until Bill Ford went overboard on the BEV nonsense and jacked up the prices for every vehicle.

Loved my Mustang. Wanted to buy "American"
Bought an Edge (awful)
Bought an Explorer ( powerful but problems in year 3 that should happen in Year 7-10)

Done with Ford.
Unless maybe Mustang GT
And as much as I love mustangs, still not buying the Mach E
Ryan the Temp
AG
Trek Strategy said:

Secolobo said:

I would argue a big reason these two lines are divergent is the requirements that have been added to vehicles over time, particularly the technology requirements like backup cameras, etc. I read somewhere a while back that 40% of the price of a new car is the electronics. I would be interested in seeing what a base model would cost, excluding the costs of any technology requirements that have been introduced since the beginning of the chart's timespan.
nortex97
AG
Bulldog73 said:

They'll make up for it on the volume.
AgLiving06
I own two fords right now. After the nonsense they pulled during COVID with raising prices and manufacturing a supply issue I can't see myself buying another.
TexAgs91
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

He can't afford it
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
AggieMD95
AG
Loved th Lincoln navigators I've had but price shot up when we were ready for another one.

Bought a use Land Cruiser instead

Plan to hold onto my v8 6.2L raptor svt for as long as I can
YouBet
AG
deddog said:

bobbranco said:

Loved my Mustang. Wanted to buy "American"
Bought an Edge (awful)
Bought an Explorer ( powerful but problems in year 3 that should happen in Year 7-10)

Done with Ford.
Unless maybe Mustang GT
And as much as I love mustangs, still not buying the Mach E

Well, the Mach E is literally not a Mustang so I get your decision.

That $132K per vehicle loss is pretty incredible. I bet Ford is going to follow the Stellantis model. Stellantis has developed a common platform that they can use for both ICE and EV. It's a smart business decision that probably sanitizes consumer choice. They are going to build everything from cars to trucks both ICE and EV all on the same platform. This will be the future I suspect.
nortex97
AG
Before the EV insanity the mfg's had all been consolidating around 3 or 4 basic platforms each (A, B, C size, then trucks). I dunno if that works out well though as EV's have such different basic platform requirements to be 'ideal.'

I am skeptical Stellantis really has a platform that works 'great' for both, as they have a history of failing in both EV's and ICE vehicles. Heck, they are even today selling some distant descendent of some 1990's E-class Mercedes as a Dodge sedan/muscle car.

What would be really fascinating is if Tesla decided to commit some heresy vs. the evangelists and built a hybrid model at scale. I doubt it though, too many ego's at risk.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.