May 4th, 1970 Kent State

4,774 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by BBRex
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie93 said:

Squadron7 said:

Kent State students were flacking for the Khmer Rouge.

Today's for Hamas.

Shocker.

The Killing Fields shows what happened when they got what they wanted with their lover of peace Pol Pot.

All of this. These kids were supporting a regime that ultimately murdered north of 2 million people. I dont feel bad for any of them.
ttu_85
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

The best protest of the wars were those by the veterans of the war. Powerful stuff when they're throwing back their medals.

What about when they only claimed to throw their medals.

cough(John Kerry)cough
I think my post was very clear.
No one really cares. Views of posters with lib posting histories are not taken seriously.
ttu_85
DannyDuberstein said:

aggie93 said:

Squadron7 said:

Kent State students were flacking for the Khmer Rouge.

Today's for Hamas.

Shocker.

The Killing Fields shows what happened when they got what they wanted with their lover of peace Pol Pot.

All of this. These kids were supporting a regime that ultimately murdered north of 2 million people. I dont feel bad for any of them.
This. EoT. It also was the beginning of the end of the radical campus movement. All the commies went back underground. They tried to reemerge in the mid 80's and where again shouted down, despite being pimped by the lying MSM. This hardened my personal commitment to conservatism.

And fortunately they are starting to be shouted down now for the cancer they are.

They are a reoccurring s**t stain on the fabric of America
Ulysses90
AG
Tabasco said:

I actually thought of Kent state when I was at the gym and watching news report of palastinian protest at UMich graduation. Agree or not on the politics of Kent State, they at least were not paid and trained by Soros to subvert the US.
Don't kid yourself. It wasn't Soros at that time. It was Herbert Marcuse that had been trickling the poison of critical theory from the Frankfurt School. The Vietnam antiwar movement was steered by Marxists just like the the BLM and the pro Hamas mobs.

Ulysses90
AG
buda91 said:

Weird fact: Nick Saban was there that day.
It was also the catalyzing event for the founding of Devo.

https://boingboing.net/2010/05/04/devos-jerry-casale-o.html
Muy
AG
aggie93 said:

SA68AG said:

buda91 said:

Wasn't Joe Biden there also with Corn Pop ?
The crazy thing is one story he was a NG Trooper and another he was a protestor, just depends on when he said it and to who.

If you looked up to the sky you would have seen Hillary's plane taking on fire as well. Utter terror that night…. day…. it was daytime right?
woodyhayes
Had friends in school at the time. Governor Rhodes sent the National Guard in, not Nixon if I remember right. Were supposed to have rubber bullets (knee knockers) but they loaded live ammo and opened up.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

These kids were supporting a regime that ultimately murdered north of 2 million people. I dont feel bad for any of them.

Just some bona fides, first: I abhor the lunatics who are supporting HAMAS, antifa, occupy wall street, etc.

I was at A&M in the Corps when Kent State happened. I recall a number of bull sessions with my buddies in which we tried to hash out the meaning of it all. I myself generally supported the war and the actions of the Guard.

Over the years I have changed my mind about the war and those who protested it.

Some were certainly Communists who wanted the North Vietnamese to win. A few years later I was friends and office mates with one of them. He runs an ACLU office today in the Northeast.

Most of the protestors, however, did not want the Communists to win. They just wanted to stop Americans and Vietnamese civilians from being killed. They acted out of simple self-interest or because they felt the war had become unwinnable/immoral/whatever.

Given what we now know about the reality of how we got into the war, I have to say that we were wrong to waste so much money and infinitely more important, so many lives of beautiful young people in a war that we had no hope of winning (because of the politics).

I have so much respect for the people I know personally who went there and fought there and (in one case) a great Aggie who died there.

I think now that nothing came out of those sacrifices that made them worthwhile.

The war caused a huge split in American culture that has dominated the US ever since. The Communists won that war hands down, in ways that they could never have dreamed, in ways that dominate our lives even today. The radicals it created in America became the professors that run academia today.

Back to Kent State.

I can certainly understand the desire to stop the anarchy on campus. But the Guard was poorly trained and put into a pressure cooker with live ammo they should not have had access to.

Did the victims deserve to die?

Two of the four students killed WERE NOT PART OF THE PROTEST. THEY WERE SIMPLY WALKING TO CLASS HUNDREDS OF FEET FROM WHERE THE GUARD WAS FIRING. One of them was an ROTC cadet.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
May 4, 1970

May 4, 1977
dixichkn
AG
aggie93 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Four Kent State University students were killed and nine were injured on May 4, 1970, when members of the Ohio National Guard opened fire on a crowd gathered to protest the Vietnam War. The tragedy was a watershed moment for a nation divided by the conflict in Southeast Asia. In its immediate aftermath, a student-led strike forced the temporary closure of colleges and universities nationwide. Some political observers believe the events of that day in northeast Ohio tilted public opinion against the war and may have contributed to the downfall of President Richard Nixon.

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/kent-state-shooting

Yeah, Nixon definitely had a nail biter 2 years later when he ran for re-election

How absolutely bizarre it is to see a red left coast/upper Northeast/Michigan
EMY92
AG
Tabasco said:

I actually thought of Kent state when I was at the gym and watching news report of palastinian protest at UMich graduation. Agree or not on the politics of Kent State, they at least were not paid and trained by Soros to subvert the US.
No, but there was a lot of Russian influence in what was happening with protests across the country.
FrankK
AG
SA68AG
AG
EMY92 said:

Tabasco said:

No, but there was a lot of Russian influence in what was happening with protests across the country.
Not really. People just hated the damn war.
rwtxag83
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

buda91 said:

Gary Pinkel (future Head Coach at Mizzou) was also there. He was a TE on the KSU team and Captain. Also Jack Lambert of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Head Coach at Kent State at the time was the great Don James, who eventually won a MNC at Washington.
Greater love hath no man than this....
rwtxag83
AG
SA68AG said:

EMY92 said:

Tabasco said:

Don't kid yourself. Sure, there was tremendous anti war sentiment at the time, but the protests that were happening, and the tactics they used were highly coordinated by far left wing interests, and there were many different groups operating at the time.
rwtxag83
AG
Ulysses90 said:

Tabasco said:

Don't kid yourself. It wasn't Soros at that time. It was Herbert Marcuse that had been trickling the poison of critical theory from the Frankfurt School. The Vietnam antiwar movement was steered by Marxists just like the the BLM and the pro Hamas mobs.

Bingo!

Pioneers of the 'Never Let a Crisis Go To Waste' movement!
Ulysses90
AG
SA68AG said:

EMY92 said:

Tabasco said:

A war that was for most practical purposes was already over for US forces before the protests at Kent State. The number of men drafted in 1972 was almost nothing and everyone knew that US combat forces had been withdrawn.

When the NVA launched the Easter Offensive invasion of South Vietnam that began on March 30, 1972, Nixon's withdrawal of US combat forces from South Vietnam had been completed under the policy that he called Vietnamization. There were only a few advisors and supporting arms controllers with the ARVN on the ground. Within the space of 90 days in 1971, South Vietnam went from the 15th best equipped military in the world to 3rd (behind only the US and USSR) based on the amount of weapons and equipment that the US forces left behind.

The operation to bomb North Vietnamese strategic infrastructure (Operation Linebacker) in retaliation for the North Vietnamese invasion did not begin until a week after the Kent State protest. The protesters were there in support of a communist victory in southeast Asia, to include not only the NVA overthrowing South Vietnam but also the Pathet Lao in Laos and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. The protests in 1972 were as pro-communist as the BLM and pro-Hamas protests are in the current generation.

The Easter Offensive was a reaction to Nixon's Vietnamization policy because the NVA believed that without US forces on the ground, they could defeat the ARVN. That turned out not to be the case because of US air and naval gunfire support in the south and bombing of strategic targets in the north. The US resolve (and bombings) brought the North Vietnamese back to peace negotiations in Paris by the end of 1972. For the following year and a half, the conflict between North and South Vietnam was on a low simmer.

That changed with Nixon's resignation and the US Congress pulling the military aid funding from South Vietnam that was stabilizing the situation. Without funding to support the defense of South Vietnam, the military defeat and overthrow of the South Vietnamese government was imminent and unavoidable. The withdrawal of US military support for allies under attack has predictable consequences. We saw that in Afghanistan in 2021 and we may see it in Ukraine.
OldArmy71
AG
I'm not sure what your post is about. I think you have your dates confused.

The Kent State shootings happened in May 1970.

The protests on campus were in response to Nixon's decision in April to send troops into neighboring Cambodia, which the Communists had been using as a safe base from which to launch attacks.

This seemed to many people to be a widening of the war rather than an attempt to end it, with massive protests responding to it.
RebelE Infantry
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Four Kent State University students were killed and nine were injured on May 4, 1970, when members of the Ohio National Guard opened fire on a crowd gathered to protest the Vietnam War. The tragedy was a watershed moment for a nation divided by the conflict in Southeast Asia. In its immediate aftermath, a student-led strike forced the temporary closure of colleges and universities nationwide. Some political observers believe the events of that day in northeast Ohio tilted public opinion against the war and may have contributed to the downfall of President Richard Nixon.

Unpopular opinion- the Kent State "protesters" were a violent mob of arsonists and deserved to be shot.
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
CanyonAg77
AG
You might have a point, had many of the victims not been innocemt bystanders

I'll agree with no sympathy for the rioters, arsonists, amd looters

Unfortunately, most got away completely
aggie93
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Unpopular opinion- the Kent State "protesters" were a violent mob of arsonists and deserved to be shot.
I'd say they deserved to go to jail, many for a long time but most of all they FAFO'd by throwing stuff at armed NG soldiers. I don't think they deserved to die but it's hard for me to feel too sorry for them. You have a bunch of NG folks armed and telling you to disperse and stand down you should listen to them not throw stuff at them.

Plenty of blame to go around.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Burdizzo
AG
This kind of stuff is why I generally avoid crowds. You never know what jackass will trigger something stupid and senseless.
BlueTaze
bigjag19 said:

Nixon contributed to the downfall of Nixon.

What is the basis if this statement? The facts show at worst Nixon was targeted by CIA, and at best it's much more complex than Watergate.

Ulysses90
AG
You are correct. I was thinking about "the war" as Vietnam.
aggiejim70
AG
I have two step-granddaughters and a stepson that attended/graduated from Kent State. They were intrigued when they found out I was in college when the shooting occurred and more than a little dismayed with the reaction at A&M versus other schools around the country.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
BBRex
AG
Ulysses90 said:

Tabasco said:

Thanks for sharing this. I've watched at least one other Dr. Cooper video (on Gramsci). I'm going to start at the beginning (at Descartes, which wasn't the first video he made in the series but which is the one he suggests starting with). Good stuff!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.