May 4th, 1970 Kent State

4,633 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by BBRex
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Four Kent State University students were killed and nine were injured on May 4, 1970, when members of the Ohio National Guard opened fire on a crowd gathered to protest the Vietnam War. The tragedy was a watershed moment for a nation divided by the conflict in Southeast Asia. In its immediate aftermath, a student-led strike forced the temporary closure of colleges and universities nationwide. Some political observers believe the events of that day in northeast Ohio tilted public opinion against the war and may have contributed to the downfall of President Richard Nixon.

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/kent-state-shooting
bigjag19
AG
Nixon contributed to the downfall of Nixon.
Tabasco
AG
I actually thought of Kent state when I was at the gym and watching news report of palastinian protest at UMich graduation. Agree or not on the politics of Kent State, they at least were not paid and trained by Soros to subvert the US.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Some political observers believe the events of that day in northeast Ohio tilted public opinion against the war and may have contributed to the downfall of President Richard Nixon.
What? Nixon shellacked McGovern in 1972.
SA68AG
AG
Four dead in O-Hi-O

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?
captkirk
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Some political observers believe the events of that day in northeast Ohio tilted public opinion against the war and may have contributed to the downfall of President Richard Nixon.
What? Nixon shellacked McGovern in 1972.
Revisionist leftist history
Scruffy
AG
Didn't people report gunshots prior to the NG opening fore?
WBBQ74
AG
There was a guy in my platoon at Army ROTC camp at Fort Riley the summer of 1973. He was from Kent State and he told me a story about all this. He was finishing up his freshman year in 1970 and their Army ROTC detachment was out doing a weekend field problem, left campus Friday afternoon, when all this riot stuff happened. He was unaware of everything that went down until they got back to campus Sunday afternoon. The mob had burned down their old WWII 2 story barracks building that had functioned as their Military Science 'building' the Friday night before the Saturday of the riot. He was quite serious as he told me this story and I have never forgotten it. He was a decent guy as I remember.

'Riot Control' was something every Army National Guard unit had to train for one day a year. Mandatory stuff. I have no doubt that the Guardsmen onsite were poorly trained and likely more poorly led that day. Nothing warranted loaded weapons. Sheathed bayonets was all that was needed. Officers could have had a magazine of .45 ready for their M1911s as a last resort deal. The employment of tear gas grenades works to disperse an unruly crowd. If you have ever been exposed to a couple of grenades thrown into a crowd for real you would understand. Happened to me once and it works very well.

Things can get out of hand quickly. All the current campus protests by the Combined Marxist/Islamist People's Palestine Diaper Army puts folks into situations where one guy thinking poorly can create a devastating problem. I am certain that the string pullers of all this are praying for one dead kid, shot by a Cop or Guardsman. That is ALL they want.

This is the opening acts. Main act is the Democratic Convention in Chicago later this summer. Should be interesting to watch.
gbaby23
AG
No love lost for the commie revolutionaries
gbaby23
AG
Tabasco said:

I actually thought of Kent state when I was at the gym and watching news report of palastinian protest at UMich graduation. Agree or not on the politics of Kent State, they at least were not paid and trained by Soros to subvert the US.
It may not have been George Soros, but they were definitely being directed/financed by similar entities.
doubledog
SA68AG said:

Four dead in O-Hi-O

We're finally on our own
Four dead in Ohio

Gotta get down to it
What if you knew her

Toy soldiers of Hamas are coming
They're finally gone surreal
October we heard the warning
Thousan' dead in Israeel

Sorry Neal, could not help it.
Burdizzo
AG
I don't care for the lyrics, but I do like the guitar riff in that song.
Tabasco
AG
gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

It may not have been George Soros, but they were definitely being directed/financed by similar entities.
interesting
ABATTBQ87
AG
WBBQ74 said:

This is the opening acts. Main act is the Democratic Convention in Chicago later this summer. Should be interesting to watch.
Chicago's already gearing up for 2.0

Squadron7
AG
Kent State students were flacking for the Khmer Rouge.

Today's for Hamas.

Shocker.

Owlagdad
doubledog said:

SA68AG said:

Four dead in O-Hi-O

We're finally on our own
Four dead in Ohio

Gotta get down to it
What if you knew her

Toy soldiers of Hamas are coming
They're finally gone surreal
October we heard the warning
Thousan' dead in Israeel

Sorry Neal, could not help it.

Hope Neal will remember,
Southern man don't need him anyhow.
gbaby23
AG
Tabasco said:

gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

interesting
You should read Days of Rage: America's Radical Underground, the FBI, and the Forgotten Age of Revolutionary Violence for a better understanding of leftist extremism during that era.

Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) helped to orchestrate the Kent State riots. Leadership for the SDS in that era told the New York Times, "We're working to build a guerilla force in an urban environment." The SDS is also where the terrorist group The Weather Underground originated.

Like every other so called "protest" that the left/media loves to venerate, it was all just a Marxist revolutionary plot.
Owlagdad
gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

interesting
You should read Days of Rage: America's Radical Underground, the FBI, and the Forgotten Age of Revolutionary Violence for a better understanding of leftist extremism during that era.

Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) helped to orchestrate the Kent State riots. Leadership for the SDS in that era told the New York Times, "We're working to build a guerilla force in an urban environment." The SDS is also where the terrorist group The Weather Underground originated.

Like every other so called "protest" that the left/media loves to venerate, it was all just a Marxist revolutionary plot.

Yup. Weathermen, SDS, Black Panthers they were not about wanting peace , smoking pot and getting laid. Lots of violence we seem to forget. Patty Hurst, Angela Davis , bombings etc
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I believe they've gone back and a shot can be heard from the protestors area.

The best protest of the wars were those by the veterans of the war. Powerful stuff when they're throwing back their medals.
CanyonAg77
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

The best protest of the wars were those by the veterans of the war. Powerful stuff when they're throwing back their medals.

What about when they only claimed to throw their medals.

cough(John Kerry)cough
aggie93
AG
Squadron7 said:

Kent State students were flacking for the Khmer Rouge.

Today's for Hamas.

Shocker.

The Killing Fields shows what happened when they got what they wanted with their lover of peace Pol Pot.
CanyonAg77
AG
As a teenager at the time, I can tell you that the while the media was on the side of the "protestors", most Americans were not. Think of it like the lack of sympathy for the people killed by Kyle Rittenhouse. Most felt like they wouldn't have been shot if they were where they shouldn't be.

Unfortunately, at least of some of the protestors were innocent bystanders. It's pretty easy to look back 50+ years and say the guardsmen shouldn't have shot. But they were a bunch of scared college-age kids, too.

Often overlooked by the media, is that this was not a protest. This was a three to four day riot, in which the "protestors" had looted, vandalized, and burned the local businesses for three nights. It was the "mostly peaceful protest" of its day. Imagine if the Trigon at A&M, as well as Northgate, had been burned to the ground.
aggie93
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Four Kent State University students were killed and nine were injured on May 4, 1970, when members of the Ohio National Guard opened fire on a crowd gathered to protest the Vietnam War. The tragedy was a watershed moment for a nation divided by the conflict in Southeast Asia. In its immediate aftermath, a student-led strike forced the temporary closure of colleges and universities nationwide. Some political observers believe the events of that day in northeast Ohio tilted public opinion against the war and may have contributed to the downfall of President Richard Nixon.

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/kent-state-shooting

Yeah, Nixon definitely had a nail biter 2 years later when he ran for re-election
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Ag_of_08
AG
So did the paras in Derry, the British in Lexington etc.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
CanyonAg77 said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

What about when they only claimed to throw their medals.

cough(John Kerry)cough
I think my post was very clear.
buda91
AG
Weird fact: Nick Saban was there that day.
ABATTBQ87
AG
buda91 said:

SA68AG
AG
buda91 said:

Wasn't Joe Biden there also with Corn Pop ?
CanyonAg77
AG
SA68AG said:

buda91 said:

No, but Beau was one of those shot and killed
aggie93
AG
SA68AG said:

buda91 said:

The crazy thing is one story he was a NG Trooper and another he was a protestor, just depends on when he said it and to who.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
kb2001
AG
More revisionist history, not only that it led to Nixon's downfall, but that Nixon had anything to do with it.

After three days of riots, the mayor asked the governor for help, and Ohio governor sent in the NG. Nixon had nothing to do with it.
TexAgs91
AG
Owlagdad said:

gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

interesting

Yup. Weathermen, SDS, Black Panthers they were not about wanting peace , smoking pot and getting laid. Lots of violence we seem to forget. Patty Hurst, Angela Davis , bombings etc

Obama announced his candidacy for president from the home of Bill Ayers from the Weather Underground.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
kb2001
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Owlagdad said:

gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

interesting

Obama announced his candidacy for president from the home of Bill Ayers from the Weather Underground.
Yep. To quote Ayers, "Free as a bird, guilty as hell"
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Yep. To quote Ayers, "Free as a bird, guilty as hell"
Typical.
ABATTBQ11
AG
gbaby23 said:

Tabasco said:

This. There is no doubt there was communist influence there
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.