*******Official 2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread*******

245,885 Views | 3971 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Macarthur
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get this thing going.
Southlake
Did I miss the pre season thread?
LeagueCityAg
AG
How bout them Cowboys
jr15aggie
AG
This is our year!!!!!

If I keep saying it, eventually I'm going to be right or I'll be dead and won't care anymore!
Señor Chang
AG
https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/dallas-cowboys-mazi-smith-training-camp-trash-talking-nfl-draft
Southlake
So, since there's no preseason thread.

What about Zack Martin?
Macarthur
Southlake said:

So, since there's no preseason thread.

What about Zack Martin?

Not sure why we would want a preseason thread, but you can start one, if you want.

As for Zack, I think the Cowboys have him in a spot. I am typically one that sides with the players most of the time, but I actually think Jerry made a good point and was unusually conherant the other day when discussing this.

I think Zack's deal is is that he is underpaid for the market and that might be true, but to Jerry's point, you simply can't tear up a contract and redo it every time that happens. There are so many big deals coming with Parsons and CD, I think you have to hold firm with Martin. He's not going to walk away from almost $30m the next two years.
Macarthur
McCarthy singled out Tolbert as a young guy that has made a big jump from year one to two. Sure hope that's true. He can be a big plus to the WR room with CD needing a big contract soon.
txagman1998
AG
Nice rendition of the National Anthem by Demarcus Ware at the Hall of Fame Game!
jr15aggie
AG
Have we heard any comments about starters playing in pre-season?

I wouldn't expect somebody like Micah or Tony Pollard to play a down... but Dak and the majority of the offense needs to, at the very least, get a few series under their belt. Lord knows they looked like A$$ week 1 last year after taking the pre-season off.
jr15aggie
AG
Re-watched the Tampa playoff win... painful to watch how our offense could not move the ball almost every series where Zeke was in the game. Pollard comes in and we get chunk play after chunk play from both him and others in he passing game.

Almost as if the defense had more trouble defending us when we had a RB that could burn them.

Ridiculous how we let contract money dictate playing time. At best our late season rotation was 50/50 between Pollard and Zeke... should have been 70/30!!!
Macarthur
Dak and the WR group have been showing out in camp.
Vince Blake
Its sounds like Jalen Tolbert is taking a leap forward. Hoping he shows out next Saturday.
jr15aggie
AG
Everybody always said the dude could play, but he was absolutely lost last year.

It does sound like he did all the right things to fix it. Good for him (and us) if he makes it... NFL is full of talented dudes that flame out because they have no idea how to be a professional.
Daveintx
So...........gonna go for 2 every score?
Vince Blake
Only K on the roster currently is a 28yo soccer player with 2 years of USFL kicking experience. To be fair, he did go 35 of 35 on extra point kicks last season for the Birmingham Stallions… so there is that.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

Have we heard any comments about starters playing in pre-season?

I wouldn't expect somebody like Micah or Tony Pollard to play a down... but Dak and the majority of the offense needs to, at the very least, get a few series under their belt. Lord knows they looked like A$$ week 1 last year after taking the pre-season off.
Dak won't play a down in preseason.
jr15aggie
AG
That's a damn shame if true... he (and the entire offense) looked like hot garbage week 1 last year.
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

That's a damn shame if true... he (and the entire offense) looked like hot garbage week 1 last year.
Well MM already said it in a recent press conference. He ain't playing. And that's really been the overwhelming philosophy across the league the last few years. I think the theory is you can get a lot of work on the practice field and then one or two series in a preseason game isn't worth the risk. It's ironic that Dak got his chance because both Romo and Moore got injured in the preseason.
jr15aggie
AG
I really hope the Cowboys didn't crap the bed with this latest draft class. Right now I'm looking at the 2nd round head scratcher Schoonmaker pick. Not only was it questionable, now the guy isn't even playing. And on top of that, the Bills took OG Torrence the pick after us.

We all had OG highlighted as a big need going into this draft and that was before we found out Zack Martin was unhappy. I'd feel a lot better about our O-line right now if Torrence were in practice getting valuable 1st team reps!
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

I really hope the Cowboys didn't crap the bed with this latest draft class. Right now I'm looking at the 2nd round head scratcher Schoonmaker pick. Not only was it questionable, now the guy isn't even playing. And on top of that, the Bills took OG Torrence the pick after us.

We all had OG highlighted as a big need going into this draft and that was before we found out Zack Martin was unhappy. I'd feel a lot better about our O-line right now if Torrence were in practice getting valuable 1st team reps!
Schoonmaker was one of the most athletic TEs in the draft. And he got injured, that's why he didn't start practicing until yesterday.
Yellerjacket
Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

Schoonmaker was one of the most athletic TEs in the draft. And he got injured, that's why he didn't start practicing until yesterday.
He was, but TE simply wasn't a need for this team.
jr15aggie
AG
TE was a need, but it wasn't a "have to get it now" need.

Feels a lot like the Taco Charlton draft in the sense that we drafted late in the 1st, things ahead of us didn't go as planned and our draft got a bit off schedule.

I don't think Mazi was a bad pick so that's the good news, but the Schoon pick was definitely a "if we don't get him now he won't be there with our next pick" sorta deal. Feels like the Taco pick when most of us were looking at TJ Watt sitting there... doesn't mean he will flame out like Taco did, but it sure felt like there were better players still on the board.

PS: I'm always optimistic so I'm not hating on anything, I'm just throwing around thoughts!
BassCowboy33
Yellerjacket said:

Ag Natural said:

jr15aggie said:

He was, but TE simply wasn't a need for this team.
I dunno. They lost Schultz and headed into this season with Hendershot (103 career receiving yards) Ferguson (174 career receiving yards), and a bunch of nothing else. That's really bad for an essential position in the modern NFL. They badly needed someone who could be a starting-level TE. Maybe the weakest spot on the depth chart outside of kicker.
Macarthur
Schoon is who they liked. As far as drafting and evaluation, the cowboys staff and Will McClay have earned the benefit of the doubt, in my mind. There were several guys at TE that the national "talking heads" kept saying Dallas might pick but if you follow the local guys, they never really had any interest in those guys.
BassCowboy33
jr15aggie said:

Feels a lot like the Taco Charlton draft in the sense that we drafted late in the 1st, things ahead of us didn't go as planned and our draft got a bit off schedule.

I don't think Mazi was a bad pick so that's the good news, but the Schoon pick was definitely a "if we don't get him now he won't be there with our next pick" sorta deal. Feels like the Taco pick when most of us were looking at TJ Watt sitting there... doesn't mean he will flame out like Taco did, but it sure felt like there were better players still on the board.

PS: I'm always optimistic so I'm not hating on anything, I'm just throwing around thoughts!

If you want stay with the optimism angle, Mazi has apparently been fantastic in camp.
Southlake
jr15aggie said:

Hearing Mazi has lead feet.
Silvertaps
AG
What are the Zach Martin fines up to so far?
I read a few days ago it's $50k per practice missed?
Tursiops93
AG
$850,000 as reported on GetUp this morning
Tursiops93
AG
Whelp…Maher just missed a FG in the Denver preseason game.
FightinFarrier18
AG
Tursiops93 said:

$850,000 as reported on GetUp this morning

I can't imagine having so much money that $850k is something I'm willing to just pay out of pocket
DannyDuberstein
AG
Teams were forgiving those in the past, but with the most recent CBA, that's no longer an option. I think they'll get a restructure done, but that's gonna take a chunk of it.
PatAg
AG
Game isn't even worth playing if you aren't playing any starters on offense and hardly any on defense
Macarthur
Yeah, the OL looking rough so far.
gigem1223
PatAg said:

Game isn't even worth playing if you aren't playing any starters on offense and hardly any on defense

Huh? It's preseason. It's how you build your depth chart. Jax coach is a fool and is just asking for an injury.

I don't want to see any starters on the field until the rehearsal.
Last Page
Page 1 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.