Would you watch the Aggies play in this weather?

3,625 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by htxag09
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This morning I heard the local morning DJs (I live in Missouri) talk about how awesome Sunday is going to be for the Chiefs. Playing Miami (who doesn't like the cold) at home Sunday night so the tailgating will be going on all day at Arrowhead. I thought to myself screw the Chiefs, I wouldn't watch any A&M sporting event with this forecast. Once they start talking about frostbite, I'm out.

Would you watch the Ags play in these conditions? Extra credit, would you tailgate beforehand?

-------------------------------------------------
Rest Of Today - Mostly cloudy. A chance of snow late this morning, then a slight chance of snow this afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch possible. Colder with highs around 6 above. Temperature falling to around 1 above this afternoon. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of snow 50 percent. Wind chill values as low as 24 below.

Tonight - Partly cloudy in the evening, then clearing. Colder with lows around 12 below. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Wind chill values as low as 35 below.
BMX Bandit
nah, once was enough

taylorswift13_
Can't watch anything on peacock
dabo man
AG
I'm going to watch it on a Firestick with VPN and Kodi (+ Endzone addon). No way in hell I'm paying for NBC streaming.
texagbeliever
At what point is it a sufficient safety concern worth moving the game.

1. Fans traveling to the game and at the game.
2. Players chance of injury in extreme cold would seem higher with tendons and ligaments being less elastic.
3. The field being frozen increasing the chances of head injuries and also broken bones.

This game will be an absolute beating for whoever wins it.
dabo man
AG
The players can dress against -30F wind chill, and they get to move around. I've got to imagine that the passing game more or less goes out the window though. Long field goals too, as the ball is likely to feel like a brick.

As a fan, I could not imagine sitting in it. I must not be the only one. Tickets are going for as low as $60 each on stubhub. That's about 75% less than when I looked into an October Sunday game earlier in the season.
Aggie
AG
They played the Ice Bowl…. Game on
Bonfired
AG
BMX Bandit said:

nah, once was enough

Still remember the snow making a natural koozie around my beer...guy next to me said "you've gotta love a game where your beer gets colder the longer you have it"

Driving back to my hotel room in Marshall after that game sucked for multiple reasons.
Iowaggie
AG
To answer the OP's question, I'm not sure what level game it would be to have me sit outside and watch in that weather.

I'm thinking I'm done going to stadiums to watch any games unless I'm in a box or I have a relative coaching or playing, and even then, I'd have to know the streaming options.

I'm definitely done paying money to watch a game at a stadium that I can watch for free in climate-controlled conditions without having to deal with parking and other fans.
dabo man
AG
I used to go skiing every winter in CO when I was younger. If it wasn't getting above 20F that day, I wouldn't ski. I think I'd apply the same rule for any A&M sporting event.
htxag09
AG
No.

But I'm also from Houston and not used to or prepared for weather like that. Hell, they make heated jackets and crap now. Maybe with some long johns, a heated jacket/pants, and puffy pants over that it wouldn't be too bad.
agracer
AG
The field at Arrowhead is heated

Was installed in 2016.

The players will also have heaters on the sidelines. They'll probably be relatively comfortable and the stadium will block most of the wind.

The fans however are going to be miserable. They banned people from bringing in cardboard to stand on which helps insulate against the freezing cold concrete and plastic seats.
AgLA06
AG
I wonder where the breaking point is for a game like this to be rescheduled? Hypothermia or frost bite lawsuit? Fan dies from hitting head after slipping on icy stairs?
Max Power
AG
AgLA06 said:

I wonder where the breaking point is for a game like this to be rescheduled? Hypothermia or frost bite lawsuit? Fan dies from hitting head after slipping on icy stairs?
It's rare but they've delayed/moved games in the past, but not specifically for cold. Back in 2017 they delayed the Steelers/Chiefs playoff game until later in the day due to ice. In 2014 the Jets and Bills had their week 12 game moved to Detroit due to blizzard conditions. Cold specifically I don't think they would do anything for. At the end of the day it's your own fault if you attend an outdoor event in weather like that, not the team, and not the NFL. There's no point to going to a game in weather like that.
Ag_07
AG
T&P to all the 3rd string guys not playing and giving up the sideline heaters for the guys that are playing.

I think I'd come down with some COVID symptoms if my chances of playing were slim.
Lake08
My couch will always be at a nice, comfy temp.
agracer
AG
AgLA06 said:

I went to a playoff game at Arrowhead Jan 16, 2022, Chiefs vs Steelers.

It was pretty cold ( I think in the 20's) and they did a really good job of clearing all the snow/ice off the sidewalks and stairs, etc. But I don't believe they had as much snow before hand as this week in KC and it's going to be 20-deg colder.
The Porkchop Express
In my experience, the only reason they'll reschedule a game is lightning.
Iowaggie
AG
I can't believe people would pay to sit in this stuff

dabo man
AG
Tickets on Stubhub are now starting at $45. I suspect there will be lots of empty seats Sunday.

I'm pumped about watching the game, but that's assuming I can find the stream somewhere (unwilling to deal with Peacock).
Ag_07
AG
Rumblings that the Buffulao game may be moved to Cleveland
Buck Compton
AG
dabo man said:

Tickets on Stubhub are now starting at $45. I suspect there will be lots of empty seats Sunday.

I'm pumped about watching the game, but that's assuming I can find the stream somewhere (unwilling to deal with Peacock).
I live in Columbia and almost had some free club seats for tomorrow that had access to an indoor warming area, but they sold on stubhub for like half of face value.

Only issue would have been the driver over to KC. I was going to go just to say I was there. It supposed to be much precipitation.
double aught
AG
These will be great games to watch from the couch. Hope they don't move them.
W
AG
was there any thought to switching the Browns-Texans and Dolphins-Chiefs games?

might help a little
LB12Diamond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Rumblings that the Buffulao game may be moved to Cleveland

Why not move to an indoor stadium.
Ag_07
AG
I don't know

I'd imagine they don't want to take the weather completely out if it. And from what I read the concern was heavy snow was a concern for people getting to the game.
TAZ99
AG
Damn tickets are as low as $33, lower level at $75.
dabo man
AG
I just realized that the Chiefs game I'd thought was Sunday is actually today.

Currently 4F with snow and freezing fog in KC.
Buck Compton
AG
dabo man said:

I just realized that the Chiefs game I'd thought was Sunday is actually today.

Currently 4F with snow and freezing fog in KC.
It hasn't been that bad in Columbia yet. Went for a long run earlier this morning for about an hour and a half. I know we're a couple degrees warmer than KC, but honestly not as bad as expected. Roads are completely dry still.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Man, y'all a bunch of girls.

You should stay inside and drink some yummy hot chocolate.

Meanwhile, in the North, where men are men, Bud Grant (age 88, at the time) turned up for the third coldest game in a short sleeved polo shirt.

Things like that are why we won the Civil War.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgLA06
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Meanwhile, in the North, where men are men, Bud Grant (age 88, at the time) turned up for the third coldest game in a short sleeved polo shirt.

Holy insecurities!
Buck Compton
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

What in the world is this random tirade for?

You won the civil war because the men are manlier? What? The union won the civil war because of superior industrial capacity and some fantastic leaders (both military and civilian), none of which has to do with temperature.

Good for Bud Grant (he also went and warmed up immediately after the coin toss). William Henry Harrison's dumbass refused to wear a coat or hat at his inauguration and died from pneumonia 31 days later (also from the North). Not to mention anytime it gets above 90 degrees up north there are people warning to stay inside.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Buck Compton said:

William Henry Harrison's dumbass refused to wear a coat or hat at his inauguration and died from pneumonia 31 days later (also from the North).
William Henry Harrison was from Virginia.

No wonder his candy ass couldn't handle a little bit of cold weather.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buck Compton
AG
Yeah, born and raised as a kid in Virginia but he spent most of his adult life In the Northwest territory without any of the warm luxuries or clothing materials you use.

Anyway, goodnight. Put down the alcohol a little quicker next weekend.
halfastros81
AG
That was cold but nothing like -27 wind chill factor.

Jmo but the 1978 game at Fayetteville felt colder to me than the Snow Bowl.

I would go watch the Ags play in those temps in the playoffs or a conference championship game but that's unlikely to ever happen. Not because of the Aggies but rather because of the likely venues for those games.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.