******* Official Cowboys draft 2024 *******

61,250 Views | 970 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Tksymm7
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get a thread going on this.
Macarthur
So, profootballnetwork has a free draft simulator and about half the time Pennix is avail at Dallas' pick.

I don't think that will happen, but let's assume it does. Would you be in favor of taking Pennix at 24?
Woods Ag
AG
I don't know, but I would like McCarthy evaluated as well and Penix.

The way it's falling there's not real clear cut guy at that spot at the moment that fills a need unless it's Graham Barton and we don't resign TSmith, or decide to replace Steele (which would be hard to do on a fresh contract).

With Jerry saying this next season is an ALL IN season with no regard to the future, I doubt they draft a QB.
Macarthur
24 might be a bit early, but the center Powers-Jackson out of Oregon is absolutely flying up the draft charts. I actually wouldn't have an issue with him at 24.
jr15aggie
AG
After giving up a 4th for Trey Lance, I believe they are done at QB this year.

I'm also guessing that (if this is indeed an "all in" year) they will be trading up with whatever leverage they have. Not into the top 10, but I could see them throwing away their 3rd rounder to get up into the teens of this draft to get a big name.

They aren't looking to save all their picks for depth pieces or building blocks... they want to come out of this draft with 2-3 instant impact players that will help us now.

OT, LB, WR... I could see these being prime targets. DT too, but I think they will fill this void with a big name free agent.
Macarthur
Fauga is another OL that is getting high marks at the senior bowl
Woods Ag
AG
Quinyon Mitchell too. PFF has him graded at a 92 the past 2 seasons and he's shooting up the draft boards.
Macarthur
The more I think abou it, the more I love the Center Powers-Jackson. When our OL was at it's best recently was when we had Fred in the middle. i think a stud center makes such a huge difference.
Woods Ag
AG
I'm ok with that.
Vince Blake
Listening to The Draft Show with Broaddus and co and they rave about Powers-Johnson. Watch the Eagles nab him to replace Kelce.

Other names hearing at 24: Barton IOL out of Duke, Morgan OT Arizona, Mims OT Georgia, Guyton OT Oklahoma.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm more than OK with a plug and play bad man at center!

Put him in between Tyler and Martin and let's roll!
jr15aggie
AG
Vince Blake said:

Watch the Eagles nab him to replace Kelce.

They cannot just sit there and let that happen. In an "all in" year you trade up and make it happen if that's your guy.
CCMD
AG
What's the most glaring needs?

I would say interior DL and LB and G/C (assuming younger Smith moves to LT and might lose C to free agency).
RB is also a disaster that needs to be addressed in later rounds. I would not pay or tag Pollard.
Macarthur
CCMD said:

What's the most glaring needs?

I would say interior DL and LB and G/C (assuming younger Smith moves to LT and might lose C to free agency).
RB is also a disaster that needs to be addressed in later rounds. I would not pay or tag Pollard.

Yes, all of those are needs.

It's been said they want to keep Smith at LG, but Bass looked good in limited action. What if you move Smith out to LT and slide Bass in at LG. Then draft Powers at C and I think that's a very solid group.

Def need one LBer in the top 3 picks.
CCMD
AG
I also don't like what we have at WR2 - Gallup and Cooks. Gallup is a $13.8M cap hit (just a stupid extension IMO), but could he be better 1 more year removed from ACL surgery? Cooks is like a fast sports car that you take out of the garage once a month, but does nothing in between. Having a strong TE group makes our WR situation a little easier to swallow.
Woods Ag
AG
Edge Cooper is going to end up in the 1st round and the Cowboys should consider him if he's there.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

Edge is #20 for Daniel Jeremiah.

Here's my reasoning:
After this year people are coming around to the fact that if you want to have a good defense it is imperative to have a great linebacking crew, and at least 1 elite LB. It's amazing to me that just 6 months ago you could find articles talking about MLB being a "non-premium" position. Utter idiots.

Anyways, Baltimore, SF, and even Cleveland had great linebacker play and they were the dominant defenses of this year. Was SF's defensive line even good? With all the hoopla of the stars on the defensive line, are we sure it isn't just Warner and Greenlaw that make them good?

There are going to be teams looking for linebackers and when you look at this class, who are they? Cooper and Trotter are about the only ones you could get excited about, and after Cooper tests he's going to be a 1st rounder.
Woods Ag
AG
He also has the CB - Mitchel at #19, Texas' Byron Murphy at 22, and Graham Barton as a center. All of them fill needs.
jr15aggie
AG
I do not think Dallas fills DT in the draft... I think they go after this spot hard in free agency and get a real NFL dude here (and hope/pray Mazi's first NFL offseason is put to good use).
Macarthur
I've mentioned Sweat at DT, but as I've read more, Murphy might be a better option because of the p;osition he plays.

i do agree, though, that I don't think they go DT early.
jr15aggie
AG
I wonder if Worthy (Texas WR) would get close enough to our pick in the 2nd round to make it interesting. I know WR is still a spot Dallas is looking at improving.

He could definitely be a guy that is a bigger star as a pro than he was in college. Speed kills man.
Macarthur
His speed is elite. I think he's got to go to a team that has a really good plan to use him because he's not a typical wide receiver. I would be a little uncomfortable in the second round but the third round I think he would be great value there.
Macarthur
BTW, Ladd McConkey is absolutely lighting it up at the senior bowl.
Matsui
AG
Will be a stud
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, I'm no pro scout and I don't know what they look for, but the dude was such a stud in college. Who wouldn't want him in?

It may be a terrible comparison, but he could easily have a Cole Beasley type career... ultimate QB safety blanket and a guy that is constantly making 3rd down conversions.

I think he's probably a more versatile and more complete WR than Cole, but I just see him as a guy that will find a way to get open. If a QBs 1st read is covered his 1st thought is "OK I need to find Ladd!"
Macarthur
He's way more than Beasley. I saw one NFL person say Antonio Brown was the comp.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

He's way more than Beasley. I saw one NFL person say Antonio Brown was the comp.

Mentally or Physically?
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

Macarthur said:

Mentally or Physically?
as a player. lol
alvtimes
Macarthur said:

24 might be a bit early, but the center Powers-Jackson out of Oregon is absolutely flying up the draft charts. I actually wouldn't have an issue with him at 24.

I still remember hating Travis Frederick in round 1, so if they go Powers Jackson…. I will get onboard this time!!!!! lol. But maybe they can go either CB or 1 of the top Lb'ers then double back and snag Georgia C in rd 2
Woods Ag
AG
I was pissed about it too, and we were all quickly silenced.

I'm good with that center and I saw where Graham Barton is also being pegged as an iOL, most likely a center. Come on down, either one.
Macarthur
What do you guys think about Tony Franklin out of Oregon for the first round pick?

I know WR isn't a huge need, but I think he would be a really fascinating pairing with CD.
jr15aggie
AG
I think WR is a bigger need than most would believe. We are one CD Lamb injury away from having jack squat. Hopefully Tolbert will keep developing and Cooks is still an OK #2 or #3 WR if we bring him back,

The emergence of Fergy doesn't make it a must have, but a plug and play NFL ready WR would sure help this offense go.
Macarthur
I like this channel for draft stuff. I think they do a good job of providing some good info in a quick diegestable 2 minutes.

Here's my pet cat, but it's looking like he may not last until Dallas' pick.

Grapesoda2525
Need RB ( maybe 2), OL, DL, and LB
BMX Bandit
ESPN mock has Edgerrin Cooper. I would not be upset.
Macarthur
BMX Bandit said:

ESPN mock has Edgerrin Cooper. I would not be upset.

Interesting. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact Zimmer has on personnel in the next couple of months. I think any free agent buzz should give some hints on what zim wants to do differently.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.