Outdoors
Sponsored by

THE AR THREAD

147,566 Views | 1314 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CharlieBrown17
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anything good to say about D&H Industries mags?
NRH ag 10
AG
quote:
The pmags can be loaded up and kept loaded with no fear of the feed lips spreading (if the included dust cover is snapped in place).

I read something from a magpul employee stating that they've kept a 30 rd pmag loaded since the first batch with no dustcover and the feedlips haven't spread.

Even if they do spread after a couple years, who cares? Magazines are disposable.
The Anchor
AG
Will steel ammo damage my AR?
NRH ag 10
AG
No.

If you have a brand that doesn't have a 5.56 chamber and uses the improper extractor spring/insert combo you might have stuck cases. Then you get to slam the buttstock of your expensive gun into the bench for all the range to see.
AggieChemist
AG
Stupid Noob Questions:

Fixing to start working on my first AR build. I'm gonna get a complete RRA lower with 2-stage trigger from WildcatAg next week.

He started the build as a rifle, but I'm thinking I want a carbine. All I need to switch out is the buffer and extension tube, right?

I'm pretty sure I want an M4 upper, to which I'll add a flip-up sight, and then eventually a holo-sight. Any reason why I shouldn't do this, or should choose a different style of upper?

Also, what tools do I absolutely HAVE to have to start this project?

Thanks
Log
AG
quote:
All I need to switch out is the buffer and extension tube, right?

Yep. You'll need the ~$4 castle nut wrench that Rock River makes to tighten down the castle nut on the new buffer tube. A magwell block the you can clamp in a vise will be needed too, but you can get away with using an appropriately sized piece of wood. I would get a Magpul MOE Milspec kit. Put a bit of blue loctite on the lower receiver threads and on the tube threads next to the receiver when you tighten the nut down.

Be sure and watch out for the buffer retainer when removing the old buffer tube. It will fly out with great force and you'll either never find it again or have it stuck in your eye. Simply press it down with your thumb when unscrewing the old tube. Reverse the process when installing the new one.

quote:
Any reason why I shouldn't do this, or should choose a different style of upper?

Nope.

[This message has been edited by Log (edited 3/15/2011 2:54p).]
aggielostinETX
AG
Be sure to grease the spring and buffer or log will complain about the BOING!! when he shoots it.

AC,
Look at the Mag-Pul pop-up sights.

[This message has been edited by Deats (edited 3/15/2011 3:00p).]
AggieChemist
AG
One other question... if I get my Magpul stuff in flat dark earth, does that make me a mall ninja tacticool ******bag?

Because I really like the contrast with the rest of the black rifle.
Log
AG
Nope. I too like the fact that the FDE helps break up the outline of the rifle. This is the lower half of one I am woking on. CTR stock and MIAD grip; you can goe with the MOE stock and grip for a lower priced option. The upper will have a rail with FDE rail covers on it.

And yes, grease your spring. I used Lubriplate, but any thick lithium grease will work. Really helps silence the BOOOIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!
AggieChemist
AG
Definitely was looking at the MOE stock and handrail, and a vertical foregrip. And PMAGs.
lexofer
AG
I prefer the BOING sound. When I don't hear it I know I'm out of ammo.
AggieChemist
AG

With something like this RRA tactical carry handle, can you just mount an EOTech or something like a Vortex SPARC right on the picatinny rail, or do you have to raise it up? I assume here you'd be looking through the iron sights AND the red dot.
aggielostinETX
AG
you can mount right the handle... any reason you want the handle over a flip up sight?

Check out Larue mounts...
AggieChemist
AG
No, not in particular... other than if you order a complete upper half, it's cheaper than a good BUIS...
aggielostinETX
AG
My concern is that you are adding in more points of failure and weight... (handle nuts, mounts nuts) vs (mount nuts)...sounds like you want K.I.S.S...

I would THINK an upper w/o tactical handle + $54 Buis would be cheaper than an upper w/ handle.... But I can't get an good view at work with the proxy filter...

AggieChemist
AG
It would. What $54 BUIS are you referring to?
aggielostinETX
AG
Magpul BUIS rear
AggieChemist
AG
Nice call. It even comes in FDE. I looked at those yesterday but I could have sworn it was over $100. I must have been remembering the set.
aggielostinETX
AG
I have seen the sets going for $70-80 at gun shows for cash...
Log
AG
I can get the MBUS for $48.29 and the MBUS Gen 2 for $44.39 before shipping from Brownells if you are interested.
AggieChemist
AG
I will be... don't even have my lower in hand yet.
aggielostinETX
AG
so... start collecting the small pieces so that when you get the big stuff you can assemble it right then.. otherwise you will have this pang of regret for $700 in parts you have at home that you can shoot b/c you dern firing pin is backordered...
AggieChemist
AG

[This message has been edited by AggieChemist (edited 8/18/2011 8:02a).]
rhtexfish
AG
Bravo company has had their midlength lightweights on sale off and on recently. Not sure if they are in stock right now.
35chililights
AG
i heart my hogue grip.
OlArmy
AG
ttt
AggieChemist
AG

AgGunner07
just finished my first FDE rig as well

Kramer
AG
ttt
aggielostinETX
AG

Got a new toy....
agfan2013
AG
^^^^^^

I see 4......that are all cool
aggielostinETX
AG
6.8, .223 , new 6.5, m1a....
Deats99
AG
You see any good deals on barrels?

"When the government fears the people, you have liberty; when the people fear the government, you have tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson
aggielostinETX
AG
didnt walk around
Mr07Ag
AG
We have had a lot of AR questions recently so I figured I would just bump this thread instead of starting another one. I want some critiques on my planned 300 Blackout build. Below is what I am thinking so far. Let me know your thoughts.

Lower
Mega forged lower
DPMS LPK
Trigger upgrade eventually (anyone know where I could go to test fire and see which I like the best?)
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
Tango Down battle grip
Magpul CTR-C stock

Upper
Mega forged upper
Wilson Combat 300 blackout barrel 16” 1/8 twist (can’t find one in stock, suggestions?)
BCM Bolt Carrier Group
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Rail – undecided
Optics – undecided

Should I plan on finding a gunsmith or will I be able to install the barrel and gas block on my own?

I feel like I am forgetting something…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.