Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

71,986 Views | 523 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Serious Lee
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Broad banded watersnake.
DoitBest
S
Ok, our little dog caught this under my wife's chair outside....
DoitBest
S
We've been here 20+ years and this is just the 3rd coral the dog ever got in the past 12 months, what should I be looking for.. where would they be breeding? ...crazy...
12th Man Ag
AG
Rough earth snake?
Badace52
12f Mane
AG
Probably coincidental.
jgh85Ag
AG
We saw 2 corals in a short time frame. 5 years later, haven't seen another. But, does not mean they are not around.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
zooguy96
jgh85Ag said:

We saw 2 corals in a short time frame. 5 years later, haven't seen another. But, does not mean they are not around.

Corals like to hide. That is why you usually don't see very many.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
TxLawDawg
AG
Lavaca County

I'll wait for y'all to ID it. I just identified him as non-venomous so I left him alone. Hopefully I was correct in that assessment. He was about 24-30" long.
Serious Lee
some cool pics from a lousiana snake guy on tigerdroppings:

never seen these in texas

apparently a really fat racer

his youtuber friend risking get tagged in the face (rattlesnake) for his channel

Badace52
AG
Nerodia erythrogaster... it has kinda an intergrade coloration but most ppl would label that one a PBWS or YBWS depending on the color of its underside.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Cool pics!! All of these snake species can be found within Texas' borders as well...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
Yup, seen all except the rattlesnakes in east Texas by the border.
Serious Lee
i just never seen those first 2 (mud snakes?). guessing they are in marshlands?
Badace52
AG
Yes mudsnakes... they are found in swampy areas throughout East Texas
12f Mane
AG
Couple good ones out or under sheet metal around Victoria recently, including this real looker of a copperhead

HtownAg92
AG
12f Mane said:

Couple good ones out or under sheet metal around Victoria recently, including this real looker of a copperhead

Wow! That one takes his name very seriously.

Herp dudes -- is that bright copper color a product of hibernation and avoiding exposure under the metal?
Harry Stone
AG
12f Mane said:

Photoshop
Throwout
AG
Still the best thread on this site. Love bookmarking this one every year. Keep up the good work, gents!
12f Mane
AG
I think the bright copper color is more an adaptation to evolving along side live oaks. They match fallen live oak leaves pretty well.
txags92
AG
This one just came across on Next Door. Juvenile Texas Brown? Ribbon snake of some variety? Location near Bastrop.

12f Mane
AG
Adult Texas Brownsnake
txags92
AG
12f Mane said:

Adult Texas Brownsnake
Thanks. I am used to seeing more of the checkered pattern on them between the stripes so thought maybe this was a juvenile or something.
12f Mane
AG
They're somewhat variable in that sense and the striped versions are less common in my experience.

txags92
AG
Still learn something new almost every day on this thread. Thanks!
aggiesundevil4
AG
The more I learn on this thread the less I know about snakes…I feel like a second grader that thinks they figured math out…
Sea Speed
AG
About a month after I started on the coop my wife sent me a frantic message asking if it is true that chicken coops attract snakes and I had to talk her off the ledge and discuss rat snakes with her. 2 days after we brought the chicks home I was away at work and she sent me this picture freaking out and all I responded with was "They know."

wai3gotgoats
AG
Sea Speed said:

About a month after I started on the coop my wife sent me a frantic message asking if it is true that chicken coops attract snakes and I had to talk her off the ledge and discuss rat snakes with her. 2 days after we brought the chicks home I was away at work and she sent me this picture freaking out and all I responded with was "They know."

Chickens also eat baby and young snakes, if you let them roam around outside their coop and/or run. So there is the added advantage (plus soil amendment) if you can talk her into letting them run loose part of the day. Not to mention darker yolks
Sea Speed
AG
I'm the one that is iffy about letting them run around. We have a lot of woods around us and one neighbor so I am worried about chickens disappearing or annoying the neighbor. Additionally our portion of the property that has our home and garage on it has a lot of concrete and idk how I feel about a ton of chicken crap everywhere. I'm definitely weighing it though for sure because it is very appealing.
Touchscreen
AG

removed my comment - was getting too far off the topic of snakes.
Sea Speed
AG
Yea that would fall under the category of chickens disappearing. I've seen 3 or 4 strays in the 10 months we have lived here and 2x it was a big ass pit bull. It won't like what happens next time I catch it on my property. Idk how big hawk territory is but we've had several flying over our place daily for a very long time. I am surprised we still have our little outdoor kitten tbh.

And agreed, back to snakes! The one in the pic above apparently stopped dead in its tracks when the wife and dogs were outside, im sure in an effort to go unnoticed by the dogs. I'm honestly surprised it is the first rat snake we have seen.
nealan
Nice little broad band
nealan
DDP
aggiesundevil4
AG
Diamond Dallas Page?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Broad-bands can be really pretty. It's too bad they're all mostly a-holes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.